• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who do Olimar mainers have the most trouble against?

Rocann

Smash Lord
peach if you're REALLY good.

luigi, and then from there it's really sort of up in the air. MK is tough, but it could be argued that he is a neutral matchup. same with like marth, game n watch, and a couple other guys.

Puddin

Smash Lord
Yay, informing our future enemy in battle :bee:

I have trouble with a friend of mines Diddy Kong who's strategy is "take out a banana and spam my dash attack" which is basically all she ever does :ohwell: but bananas make grabbing quite a challenge. I used to have trouble with a friends Metaknight until I realized he was just overrated.

I still have a bit of trouble with R.O.B but he is becoming more and more manageable.

Olimarman

Smash Ace
The majority of Olimar's game revolves around his ground game, when Diddy's bananas almost completely ruin. I'm not sure if its a terrible matchup for Olimar, but I hate playing Diddys.

Excellence

Smash Champion
I need to know so I can learn to main that character. My friends Olimar makes me rage.
If you're maining a specific character to counter your friend's Olimar, that's pretty pathetic. It only shows that you have put little work into learning how to work around Olimar's strengths and exploiting his weakness. More often then not, it's not the character that makes the difference, it's the player - within reasonable limits, of course.

What happens when your friend steps up and learns to beat your counterpick?

Olimar has the most trouble against Meta Knight. Even a noob can spam Fair and Shuttle Loop for KOs so that may just be your best bet.

peach if you're REALLY good.

luigi, and then from there it's really sort of up in the air. MK is tough, but it could be argued that he is a neutral matchup. same with like marth, game n watch, and a couple other guys.
I doubt he's "REALLY good" if he's trying to main a counterpick, because he can't think of a way around Olimar's offensive, defensive, spam or whatever.

The majority of Olimar's game revolves around his ground game, when Diddy's bananas almost completely ruin. I'm not sure if its a terrible matchup for Olimar, but I hate playing Diddys.
Olimar is not beaten by Diddy. For one, you can Power Shield the Banana, grab it, and abuse it. Once you get a hold of Diddy's banana he's not getting near it because you'll grab him and probably punish the hell out of any of his approaches. Once a Diddy fails to keep the pressure of the matchup, they break. Diddy is ALL about pressure and mind games. This is not a horrible matchup. It should definately be in Olimar's favor.

good diddys who can handle there bananas like men(or women) own olimar so much
No.

asob4

Smash Champion
when i play my friend's diddy, we literally go back and forth

i say it's either 50-50 or 55-45 either way

Excellence

Smash Champion
Have you been playing each other for a while, or it's a new friend? My friend and I do the same with his Ike, but we all know Olimar has almost total advantage. It's just that we've been playing for five months and he knows most of my tricks.

If you're thinking too much, that can also give you difficulty. It sounds like the opposite you'd hear, but I actually do better when I am not critically thinking.

asob4

Smash Champion
i hardly play him, and it's always in tournament environment, in winner's so no pressure really. i might have over thunk it but we go back and forth and lack knowledge of each others tricks

maybe i should dumb down

Olimarman

Smash Ace
Olimar has the most trouble against Meta Knight. Even a noob can spam Fair and Shuttle Loop for KOs so that may just be your best bet.
Definately not. Mk and Olimar go 50-50. Minus the tornado which is shieldable, Mk has a hard time approaching Olimar. A ground approach= you grab them. Aerial approach = you utilt, sh nair, f/bair, uair. Though not an easy matchup since its still Mk, they are pretty tied, and many Meta Knights are "Afraid" to play Olimars. Olimar's hardest matchups are really Yoshi, Peach and Luigi. I've never played a really "good" Yoshi, but I'm still looking for one. I feel that Yoshi may be the worst of the 3, but so few people use Yoshi, let alone get good enough to play competitively that its hard to tell.

Puddin

Smash Lord
If you're maining a specific character to counter your friend's Olimar, that's pretty pathetic.
The Olimar boards, world renowned for their kind and sensitive posting members.

Brawl is all about Match Ups Excellence, why work to beat a character when you can switch and instantly gain the advantage?

Olimar's hardest matchups are really Yoshi, Peach and Luigi. I've never played a really "good" Yoshi, but I'm still looking for one. I feel that Yoshi may be the worst of the 3, but so few people use Yoshi, let alone get good enough to play competitively that its hard to tell.
I have a friend who mains both Yoshi and Luigi and is pretty dang good with both. I used to have LOADS of trouble with his Yoshi but I recently had time to play him again and just kicked ***... Easily out-camped, Egg Roll is predictable and easy to grab, especially with Olimars grab range. Albeit it's still quite a challenging match up I was able to two stock him.

I'm not sure what many people think of this GIMPing abilities but the only thing you need to watch out for is his Fair, which is like Marios but takes a lot less time to execute (If you don't know Marios Fair is a Punch that sends you shooting down) Yoshi's Dair makes him float BUT lasts a long while which makes it a very situational form of GIMPing.

Olimarman

Smash Ace
The Olimar boards, world renowned for their kind and sensitive posting members.

Brawl is all about Match Ups Excellence, why work to beat a character when you can switch and instantly gain the advantage?
I wouldn't say its all about Match Ups. I've done well Solo Olimar for quite a while now. But... now I'm picking up Marth to maybe use on Peach, Weegee and Yoshi :)

Seriously though, there is always a way to beat someone no matter what side the chances are higher on. No character is unbeatable with any character.

Puddin

Smash Lord
I wouldn't say its all about Match Ups. I've done well Solo Olimar for quite a while now. But... now I'm picking up Marth to maybe use on Peach, Weegee and Yoshi :)

Seriously though, there is always a way to beat someone no matter what side the chances are higher on. No character is unbeatable with any character.
This sounds like Sakurai logic to me. :laugh:

I forgot what I was going to say...I'll edit post if I remember. I think it was about the Yoshi matchup... OH YES I REMEMBER. Never. Never. No matter what the circumstances. Bring Yoshi to Battlefield.

Olimarman

Smash Ace
I have a friend who mains both Yoshi and Luigi and is pretty dang good with both. I used to have LOADS of trouble with his Yoshi but I recently had time to play him again and just kicked ***... Easily out-camped, Egg Roll is predictable and easy to grab, especially with Olimars grab range. Albeit it's still quite a challenging match up I was able to two stock him.

I'm not sure what many people think of this GIMPing abilities but the only thing you need to watch out for is his Fair, which is like Marios but takes a lot less time to execute (If you don't know Marios Fair is a Punch that sends you shooting down) Yoshi's Dair makes him float BUT lasts a long while which makes it a very situational form of GIMPing.
Yoshi shouldn't be camping you in the first place or approaching much with egg roll. Usually Yoshi's are in your face with bairs and nair. You can always footstool a Yoshi, they float to their grave.

Puddin

Smash Lord
Yoshi shouldn't be camping you in the first place or approaching much with egg roll. Usually Yoshi's are in your face with bairs and nair. You can always footstool a Yoshi, they float to their grave.
My Yoshi camps for some reason :ohwell: Remember kids, Battlefield is a terrible place to bring Yoshi. Maybe thats why he was camping, we were at Battlefield...

Whatever, goodnight Kids mommy needs her beauty sleep. ... . ......lolwut

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
I would think that 'Olimar mainers' would have trouble with opponents who know your gamestyle.
It's not all about good match-ups and bad-match ups. It's all about knowing your opponent. If you know your opponent, you can predict their next move and counter accordingly.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Diddy (?) Olimar varies really, just depends on the types of players.
Olimar just needs to shield and pick up the bananas. Why on earth would you run around all over the ground if you have pikmin body guards to take the naner blow? Just sit there and camp, and you win.

Martial

Smash Apprentice
I really don't understand how Weegee has ANYTHING on Olimar. Olimar is one of the hardest characters to keep in the air, and that's where Weegee excels. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like Olimar's grabs and utilt will beat any approach that Weegee can muster.

Also, the Diddy mainers in this thread are right when they say that Diddy has a hard time against Olimar, but I think that it's a lot more even than most think.

Olimarman

Smash Ace
Olimar just needs to shield and pick up the bananas. Why on earth would you run around all over the ground if you have pikmin body guards to take the naner blow? Just sit there and camp, and you win.
Having your pikmin take the blow requires nearly pixel perfect timing as the bananas fly so fast. You can't camp a Diddy either, bananas will destroy you.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Having your pikmin take the blow requires nearly pixel perfect timing as the bananas fly so fast. You can't camp a Diddy either, bananas will destroy you.
You just sit there, and shield the naner, then pick it up. If the diddy is stupid he'll dash attack pick it up and you can shield grab him. What are you talking about, you can just stand there and the banana will hit a pikmin in the face instead of olimar in case you don't shield just in case. He can't even approach you without getting shieldgrabbed.

RichBrown

Smash Master
I have two friends that play mean diddys, and while I haven't played them in a while, they sure as hell know how to handle bananas. My game has improved immensely since I played either of them, so I'm thinking shieldgrabbing bananas is the way to go. One of them has told me that diddy is a momentum character, and if you let diddy start wailing, it isn't gonna stop. I'm strongly considering actually picking up diddy for the sheer purpose of learning how to use bananas. When diddy pulls a banana out, both players pretty much have equal rights to it, so if you can discourage a diddy from pulling out his bananas, or you frustrate him with his own, ya got him beat.

Cranberry Rogue

Smash Journeyman
I have two friends that play mean diddys, and while I haven't played them in a while, they sure as hell know how to handle bananas. My game has improved immensely since I played either of them, so I'm thinking shieldgrabbing bananas is the way to go. One of them has told me that diddy is a momentum character, and if you let diddy start wailing, it isn't gonna stop. I'm strongly considering actually picking up diddy for the sheer purpose of learning how to use bananas. When diddy pulls a banana out, both players pretty much have equal rights to it, so if you can discourage a diddy from pulling out his bananas, or you frustrate him with his own, ya got him beat.
Your friend sounds like a wise man, RichBrown. =P

Bottom line, you'll never be able to out banana a Diddy player. Our entire game revolves around throwing the fruit at you, so we pretty much know about them more than anyone else. Learning about the character is probably a fairly good way to tackle the problem.

I don't really know jack about Olimar, but from playing you Rich, I've gathered that Diddy is also a tough matchup for Olimar because his off-stage combat is, like...waaaay superior. The fact that Diddy is able to throw a banana, pop a few peanuts, and then leap off of the stage after Olimar in order to edgeguard is pretty daunting.

Olimarman

Smash Ace
Even without bananas, Diddy has priority in the air and a lot on the ground. For the most part, Olimar is only at a disadvantage if the character has priority such as Weegee, Yoshi and Peach.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Even without bananas, Diddy has priority in the air and a lot on the ground. For the most part, Olimar is only at a disadvantage if the character has priority such as Weegee, Yoshi and Peach.
Well, diddy can't do anything to olimar on the ground unless it's a non-campy olimar. Does oli have a glide toss?

Diddy King

Smash Cadet
Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner. If the olimar knows how to handle bananas, it is nearly impossible to win with diddy.

Top Bottom