• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who do you think will be among the top Smash 4 players

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
I went ahead and did an EVO '15 top 8 in no particular order:
Mew2King
ZeRo
ESAM
Ally
Hungrybox
Nairo
ChuDat
Ken

lcampoy8

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1220-8395-9035
its impossible to say at this point. A lot of the players you list probably wont play competitively because its not melee.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
Every one of those players except for Ken plays Brawl.

I shouldn't have laughed but I did because there is a little bit of truth in it. The defensive game still seems to be a little strong.
There must be something I'm missing here...

Last edited:

Senario

Smash Ace
its impossible to say at this point. A lot of the players you list probably wont play competitively because its not melee.
Which ones? We know zero and m2k will play it. Ken is also going to try it out. And i haven't heard from the others but saying they won't play it because it isn't melee is short sighted. They will drop it if it plays super defensive and campy like brawl. But if there us a decent reward for offensive play than I can't see why they can't dabble in the new game while still playing old ones. I don't stop playing old games simply because a new one came out.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
Brawl players will probably catch on pretty quickly and make up a lot of the scene initially, Melee players will be good over time if they can adapt to the mechanics, find a suitable character to use and master them, and multi-game players will be great throughout the game's lifespan. M2K and ZeRo are going to own this game.

Senario

Smash Ace
Brawl players will probably catch on pretty quickly and make up a lot of the scene initially, Melee players will be good over time if they can adapt to the mechanics, find a suitable character to use and master them, and multi-game players will be great throughout the game's lifespan. M2K and ZeRo are going to own this game.
Well maybe. There is a difference between adapting to something that is exciting and fun and adapting to something that just doesn't work. Melee players largely dropped brawl because it was overly defensive and unfun to play or watch for many. And remember that is their opinion and it is fine.

I dislike the word Adapt used on these boards, every time it is used it seems to blame melee players or be derogatory toward them for not enjoying a game because of it's mechanics when the game should in the first place be fun for them. Nobody expects pro players/any players to play a game they don't find fun. That is why Street fighter has so many versions for 4, I heard it was very campy and defensive in vanilla but now there is a good reward for playing offensively in Ultra (though there still is a reward for playing defensively it isn't the best option all the time).

That said, a true middle ground between the two games should give a fair shot to both groups. Although largely I think if the game is competitive enough that Melee pros will outnumber brawl pros simply due to number.

I think M2K and Ken will be some of the better players, Ken will have good fundamentals as he always does. M2K puts a lot of time into being perfect.

Last edited:

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
I dislike the word Adapt used on these boards, every time it is used it seems to blame melee players or be derogatory toward them for not enjoying a game because of it's mechanics when the game should in the first place be fun for them.
Well, that's not what I meant. What I meant is that Melee players have been playing Melee for such a long time that it'll take time to adapt even if they enjoy the game. Hell, some Melee players haven't fully adapted to Project M quite yet. A lot of the top PM players are Brawl players.

That said, a true middle ground between the two games should give a fair shot to both groups. Although largely I think if the game is competitive enough that Melee pros will outnumber brawl pros simply due to number.
If the game truly is a middle ground between Brawl and Melee, I still think Brawl players will make up a good chunk of the game's competitive scene initially because most of them are willing to pretty much drop Brawl completely and dedicate their time to Smash 4, while Melee players will be more hesitant to move on to Smash 4. What I'm hoping is that Smash 4 unites the Smash community as a whole and completely removes the labels "Melee player" and "Brawl player."

Senario

Smash Ace
Well, that's not what I meant. What I meant is that Melee players have been playing Melee for such a long time that it'll take time to adapt even if they enjoy the game. Hell, some Melee players haven't fully adapted to Project M quite yet. A lot of the top PM players are Brawl players.

If the game truly is a middle ground between Brawl and Melee, I still think Brawl players will make up a good chunk of the game's competitive scene initially because most of them are willing to pretty much drop Brawl completely and dedicate their time to Smash 4, while Melee players will be more hesitant to move on to Smash 4. What I'm hoping is that Smash 4 unites the Smash community as a whole and completely removes the labels "Melee player" and "Brawl player."
As long as it does it's job and has a good competitive offense game then it'll probably have people move on. Very skeptical because sakurai but who knows, Nintendo is supportive.

And I don't really agree with the assumption that Melee players are unwilling to move on. A lot of them want to, they just can't because Brawl wasn't a game made in a way that supports them. Project M is a good game but it is still a mod and has some problems with polish sometimes, in general because it is a mod and not official a lot of people both competitive and not are not willing or just don't care enough to figure out how to mod it/do the stuff to mod it. It took me a while to find a 2GB SD card for hackless since most of them are 4+ now. And some of my other melee friends took a while because they didn't own a Wii to begin with(don't ask me how). Now they play it when they have others to play with.

Again, Smash 4 supports offensive competitive play -> People will play it regardless of group. But if it is overly defensive people will eventually lose interest.

Wander

Smash Journeyman
Of course M2K is going to do well at it. Armada's twitter bio says he wants to be the first world champion of SSB4, and Ken said on stream the other night that he might main Lucina. So there's three contenders. I'd love to see Ken in the top five overall again.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
Pretty sure Hbox doesn't either.
He does a little bit, or at least he did. Either way, Hungrybox came in second at the Invitational and had that legendary Reggie moment, I could easily see him playing Smash 4, especially if Smash 4 Jiggs is better than Brawl Jiggs

StarshipGroove

Smash Journeyman
Hard to say...
Hoping the top players from each game in the series duke it out to the top in Smash 4!
m2k, ZeRo, Mango, PPMD, Azen, Ally, Martin Lee, ESAM, Chudat, NAKAT, Wizzrobe, Emukiller (maining mewtwo!!), Armada, Ken, HBox, Isai, Sakurai and Reggie, and more....
It shall be glorious!!

D

Deleted member 245254

Of course M2K is going to do well at it. Armada's twitter bio says he wants to be the first world champion of SSB4, and Ken said on stream the other night that he might main Lucina. So there's three contenders. I'd love to see Ken in the top five overall again.
Too late! Zero is already the first Smash 4 champion, and correct me if I'm wrong but that was an international tournament (Amsa was there) :awesome:

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
I will be one of the top players. Feel free to ask me for my autograph now, it's no big deal *hair flip*

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
I do hope to see aMSa repping the Yoshi (according to D1, he was very excited when he found out that he can jump OoS in Smash 4), but I've got the feeling that if he does get into competitive Smash 4, he'll play a different character so as to not interfere with his Melee Yoshi.

EDIT: This is why he plays Lucario in PM, or so I've heard.

Last edited:

Senario

Smash Ace
Too late! Zero is already the first Smash 4 champion, and correct me if I'm wrong but that was an international tournament (Amsa was there) :awesome:
with the worst ruleset ever for an "International tournament" :troll:

We all know Hbox won if it were by normal tourney rules (which I believe would've had the same winner in both melee and brawl). It was a fun sideshow of the game. Clearly people didn't take it seriously lol, KDJ purposely ran into megaman's final smash for the fans.

If only Isai would return, I miss him ): A lot of pros are coming back but he isn't.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

with the worst ruleset ever for an "International tournament" :troll:

We all know Hbox won if it were by normal tourney rules (which I believe would've had the same winner in both melee and brawl). It was a fun sideshow of the game. Clearly people didn't take it seriously lol, KDJ purposely ran into megaman's final smash for the fans.

If only Isai would return, I miss him ): A lot of pros are coming back but he isn't.
KDJ actually admitted publicly that it was an accident.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Probably me. I have yet to make a big debut, but I plan on really trying for this game, and putting a lot of time into it.

actually srs.

(doubt I'll get to the top anywhere close to the released date, but look to a few years down the road. that's when it'll happen, I promise.)

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
Probably me. I have yet to make a big debut, but I plan on really trying for this game, and putting a lot of time into it.

actually srs.

(doubt I'll get to the top anywhere close to the released date, but look to a few years down the road. that's when it'll happen, I promise.)
You'll have to get through me :)

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
by then I'll actually have a full drivers license, and I could actually go to more tournaments.

maybe even play some skullgirls too while I'm at it

Phantom High

Smash Apprentice
I prefer to see some new blood for Sm4sh. Its always interesting to see new players get in.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
Hungrybox just confirmed in an AMA on Reddit that he's indeed going to play Smash 4 competitively.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
Me

Pretty much all the serious players mentioned in this thread are good contenders. Most of the skills in other smashes will probably be transferable, but there will probably be some new blood players that climb the ranks.

Nstinct

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3626-0477-8909
Settle down boys, heh. I'm sure we all know you'll have to go through me!

I will be one of the top players. Feel free to ask me for my autograph now, it's no big deal *hair flip*
Can I please get your autograph! :O

Nstinct

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3626-0477-8909
Did wizzy ever play Brawl competitively? I thought he was PM exclusive.

Senario

Smash Ace
Will Amsa play? Considering how god tier he is with Yoshi I imagine he'd be good at pretty much any smash game.

FalconSoup

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadowMetal
3DS FC
4511-0759-5924
Switch FC
SW 7216 6722 4029
Some guy probably
I prefer to see some new blood for Sm4sh. Its always interesting to see new players get in.
Me

Pretty much all the serious players mentioned in this thread are good contenders. Most of the skills in other smashes will probably be transferable, but there will probably be some new blood players that climb the ranks.
Pretty much all of these. I'd really like to see a lot of players we haven't seen before climb those ranks! It'd be a good surprise.

Morbi

Scavenger
I am not entirely sure, I attempted to look up his "ranking" here on Smashboards and there is nothing pertaining to Brawl. However, he is not a Project M exclusive. That is just what he is known for.

Last edited:

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
I am not entirely sure, I attempted to look up his "ranking' here on Smashboards and there is nothing pertaining to Brawl. However, his is not a Project M exclusive. That is just what he is known for.
Pretty much this. He has a solid Falcon in Melee and is known as one of the best Yoshi players in 64. Definitely not PM only.

INs4niTY-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marouf
That rapture little mac player from the invitational obviously. Too much skillz

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Here's my list:

Some player you didn't used to think of as a top player.
A new guy to the scene
Another new guy to the scene
Mew2king

I mean, really, that's about how it's going to look. There's no guessing anything more useful than that at this point.

Top Bottom