• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who else is nervous about Brawl potentially sucking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
When are you going to put up fox videos? I want to see your fox in action. ;)

Before you say anything, I will not put any of my stuff up for a long while. :p

edit: Dylan's Fox. Did not specify oopss. Also, I swear that everytime the Ice Climbers moved across the ground with wavedash I would fly off. D:

Erk Aduro

Smash Apprentice
Wavedashing isnt a glitch. Im not even gonna explain why, Ive done so like. 300 million times in this thread, so has Axem, so had Red Exodus, so has everyone.

Not trying to bash you though as I would if you were like omg wavedeshins a glitch u r cheep. But you're not so thats cool.

I could see how despite the evidence against it (wavedashing) it could still be *treated* like a glitch and removed which is what I fear most.

But theyre well aware of airdodging into the ground, and I hope it produces the same effect in brawl, or it will suck.
Ah, well I didn't read through the whole thread, just some of the first page and recent pages. My bad. I supposed rather than glitch I should say "unintended result of the physics engine that the developers left in." Doesn't have the same ring as glitch though. :p

Oh no, I don't think wavedashing is cheap at all. It's merely a technique that increases mobility and versatility when used well. It's not like wavedash = win. And I'll definitely know if you're ever bashing me. :p

Yeah, I can see how that could be a worry for competitive players. I'm sure they'll have a nice compromise, whether just leaving it in unaltered, or something that's close enough to wavedashing. :)

mario-man

Smash Lord
Wavedashing isnt a glitch. Im not even gonna explain why, Ive done so like. 300 million times in this thread, so has Axem, so had Red Exodus, so has everyone.
And me...........................Don't forget me

LoooooooooooooooooL

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
OMG wavedashing is cheap!!!11! :mad:

Everytime Mookierah or Shai Hulud used wavedash I lost. D:
I hope they remove it in Brawl.

I had to make this post. Sacrasm is in my blood. :p
Wavedash = win with Ice Climbers :chuckle:

WD => dsmash is too good.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Haha I love fighting a good IC player, because I main shiek. Everytime I pick shiek vs IC's the guys like ''are you serious?''

I usually lose but Ive won a few times :p I like the challenge...

Just like fox vs marth.. my friends marth is pretty ****.. well unforgivable and I really have to work my wobbling skills to get out of his CG's But I can beat him as much as he can beat me.. fox vs marth is an epic matchup.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Sheik vs IC isn't as hard as many people think...Sheik can gay every character, Ice Climbers included.

It's usually **** though, but not unwinnable for Sheik >_>

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
is it just me or does shieks dash attack (I mindgame into it, I dont just rush in and get grab infinited like an idiot) sepperate the IC's well?

Thats my strat anyway, land a dash attack or dsmash on em, then kill nana with an easy gay shiek combo and then go take on the male one alone since you can now grab him as much as you want...

ANy of you have strats vs ICs?

bjdavis420

Smash Journeyman
Im sure that Brawl will be incredible, I mean cmon, both ssb64 and ssbm are great, and this is one of Nintendo's major games. Even though third party games have not always been good with the nintendo, their platform games such as Party, Kart, Golf, Tennis, and Smash have always been great and had a lot of thought and design put into them. If they start half-a**ing their major titles, then the wii will not make it up against the 360 and PS3

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
is it just me or does shieks dash attack (I mindgame into it, I dont just rush in and get grab infinited like an idiot) sepperate the IC's well?

Thats my strat anyway, land a dash attack or dsmash on em, then kill nana with an easy gay shiek combo and then go take on the male one alone since you can now grab him as much as you want...

ANy of you have strats vs ICs?
Dmsash is good because you can't get shield grabbed out of it as there is too much knockback. You can gimp both Nana and Popo pretty easily with fairs, as the ICs horizontal recovery is not so good. Sure, Popo can come back a long way with over-B but he's easy as hell to edgeguard. Just keep doing bairs and fairs. He shouldn't be able to get back on the stage very often.

The main thing to watch out for is grabs. Most of your attacks are low lag enough that ICs can't wd => grab to punish mistakes like they can against some characters. If you're spamming ftilt, for instance, just be sure not to leave any gaps between attacks. And you probably don't want to grab ICs, but if you do, immediately throw and try to hit the other IC so you don't get fsmashed or something.

Sheik has difficulty recovering against ICs because when there are two of them, Popo can edgehog and then have Nana dsmash or fsmash while climbing on the stage. If you try to land higher on the stage you will probably get baired. Popo by himself can edgeguard pretty well too, wavelanding dsmashes if you go for the stage. Just try to keep him guessing. Make it look like you're going for the stage then land on the edge.

Sheik's main problems in this matchup are--

1) Sheik has bad horizontal recovery, and ICs have an attack with high horizontal knockback that comes out in six frames (dsmash).

2) Sheik is edgeguarded more easily by ICs than most other characters.

3) If Sheik gets grabbed that stock is probably over. Even a grab by lone Popo is dangerous as Sheik can be chaingrabbed.

4) Sheik's grab game is essentially void against ICs (except against Popo of course).

Focus on gimping Nana. Sheik's gay combos work well against Nana because she doesn't DI. Nana can recover pretty far just by moving toward the stage if you hit her high enough, but if you needle her at any point during her recovery she's likely to perish.

I could probably give you some more advice if you gave me specific questions, but that's some general stuff to be aware of.

Not so sure about the "stay on the platforms" advice. Sheik can get juggled pretty well with ICs uairs. Maybe Sheik's dsmash eats through uairs--I honestly don't remember. If that's the case then platform camping might be viable.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Good advice Shai! Some new info for me there when fighting those blasted IC's

though now that I practically main fox I can gimp them so big with the shine muhahha.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Good advice Shai! Some new info for me there when fighting those blasted IC's

though now that I practically main fox I can gimp them so big with the shine muhahha.
Haha yeah...a large portion of the Fox matchup you should be fighting Popo by himself. But don't be too confident, because Popo can **** Fox pretty hard. :grin:

Superstar

Smash Champion
I haven't been on this thread for a LOOOONG time, been playing Pokemon [standard competetive ruleset] and programming, and then I was reading the whole blasted 20 or so pages since I last posted.

I play Smash occasionally now. My wavedash ability has taken a serious hit, and now I eat down tilts from Pikachu when I go for a Wavedash -> grab. I also have to improve my reflexes, after a wavedash I take too long for the action, so I still need to improve that. My brother for a while always beat me, but then I started beating him again. Now my only grab combos are a grap->downthrow->SHABAWD as my brother enjoys DI backwards.

Does anyone ever get scared when they use a character with crap recovery and are pushed to the edge by a Pikachu. Even at 20%, one swish of that tail and you are dead. My brother can kill me consistently past 50%, but I have to get him to 120% before I can do anything, sucks to lack a finisher. On one of the Brawl updates, on the part on recoveries, I saw how Mario had a monster recovery, AWESOME!

Also, I checked the last Brawl update, JUST what I have been waiting for a LOOOONG time. Apparently, you can use The Wii-Mote, Wii-mote+nunchuck, Classic Controller, AAAAND *cue drumroll* GAMECUBE CONTROLLERS

YAY. :)

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I

Does anyone ever get scared when they use a character with crap recovery and are pushed to the edge by a Pikachu. Even at 20%, one swish of that tail and you are dead. My brother can kill me consistently past 50%, but I have to get him to 120% before I can do anything, sucks to lack a finisher. On one of the Brawl updates, on the part on recoveries, I saw how Mario had a monster recovery, AWESOME!
havent yet played a pikachu I couldnt at least 3 stock. Pikachu is just a **** character and practically nobody can sweetspot his recovery I find.

Im sure a good pika would pwn me though since Im not used to good pikas

Hence why people who complain about high tiers are wrong, because a random low tier in a tourney like luigi or ness can completly throw the other guy off and give you an advantage bigger than you could have hoped for by counterpicking his fox with marth.. or not, depends on your low tier skills.

Mario doesn't have a monster recovery in Brawl Superstar, it looks like his doublejump *Might* be bigger, but his UP B is the same thing, trust me ive analysed it thoughly with some other smashboards members.

Superstar

Smash Champion
Mario doesn't have a monster recovery in Brawl Superstar, it looks like his doublejump *Might* be bigger, but his UP B is the same thing, trust me ive analysed it thoughly with some other smashboards members.
Hmm, probably, I think its just a bigger double jump. When I said Monster recovery, I mean compared to Melee, as his recovery is one of the worst in Melee [I, like my family, exaggerate]. Maybe everyone's recovery is better in Brawl, don't know. I just don't want Mario's recovery to be crap again, one tailspike from a Pikachu or a Shine Spike and he's dead [I fear Tail spike more though, as I don't get to play Foxes, and I think an up-air could save from shine spike occasionally when it does zip to Pikachu].

Pikachu seems to stink badly in the middle of a stage, but get near the edge, and he's scares me, maybe because I'm using Mario, bad recovery + tailspike = owned.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Hmm, probably, I think its just a bigger double jump. When I said Monster recovery, I mean compared to Melee, as his recovery is one of the worst in Melee [I, like my family, exaggerate]. Maybe everyone's recovery is better in Brawl, don't know. I just don't want Mario's recovery to be crap again, one tailspike from a Pikachu or a Shine Spike and he's dead [I fear Tail spike more though, as I don't get to play Foxes, and I think an up-air could save from shine spike occasionally when it does zip to Pikachu].

Pikachu seems to stink badly in the middle of a stage, but get near the edge, and he's scares me, maybe because I'm using Mario, bad recovery + tailspike = owned.
My suggestion would be to pick up more characters :)

I currently in melee play

Main (s) : Shiek / fox

Secondary : Captain Falcon / Marth / Mario / Falco

Others : Ganondorf, Jigglypuff, Doctor mario, Luigi, Samus,

My mains I am brutally good with, my secondaries I'm decent with, and the others I just play for fun but they aren't that good. Cept my ganon is... better than the others.

So ya if mario vs pika is a problem, just like.. pick someone else maybe and 4 stock him :)

EVERYONE should play one of the following : Fox/Falco Shiek Marth Peach

at least one of the top / high tier characters, you cant get by in smash without at least one.

NES n00b

Smash Master
My suggestion would be to pick up more characters :)

I currently in melee play

Main (s) : Shiek / fox

Secondary : Captain Falcon / Marth / Mario / Falco

Others : Ganondorf, Jigglypuff, Doctor mario, Luigi, Samus,

My mains I am brutally good with, my secondaries I'm decent with, and the others I just play for fun but they aren't that good. Cept my ganon is... better than the others.

So ya if mario vs pika is a problem, just like.. pick someone else maybe and 4 stock him :)

at least one of the top / high tier characters, you cant get by in smash without at least one.
If you are really good like Azen good, you get beat alot of people with upper/high/midtiers until you get to. . . . .well . . . . Azen level metagame. What I mean is, someone can probably win with Luigi in tournaments until that have to face people like Azen and Mew2king where their weaknesses will then be too great to overcome. Bum is the best example of what I am talking about. He got 4th and beat people until he got to PC Chris and Mew2king where they used their characters strengths to their max (especially Mew2king where he used laser spamming to damage DK enough to where he can kill him without much worry).

Yeah, still recommended to have a top tier so you can stand a chance against opponents with top tiers.

Superstar

Smash Champion
Currently:

Main: Mario
Secondaries: Fox, Samus, Pikachu

Fox is crazy difficult to play, one mistake and he is comboed to death, SHL takes time to get used to, Waveshine is not hard at all, its the swap from Waveshine to the attack that is more difficult. However, his drill is sweet, you can end it with Shine or grab, your choice. As I cannot play competetively, my Fox can never improve. Weirdly, he is my worst commonly used character [out of my secondaries].

My Samus enjoys using Double Missle to disrupt, and Down smash when they get close. For fear of my brother's down tilt [he does something scary after it, don't remember, up-smash or down-smash], I never wavedash towards him, just to go backwards in spacing. Bombs are fun for arial mobility and stopping thunderjolts. Only character I enjoy Dash Attacking as after a missle. Gimping someone's recovery with missles is very enjoyable.

With Pikachu, I stink at even combat, prefering to gimp people's recoveries with a tail spike [he is the last character I picked up, but he is easier to play than Fox]. However, this possess a problem against people with long, unpredictable recoveries.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
You find fox hard to play? Just nair spam and drillshine - grab - upthrow - uair when you get the chance, shine spiking is like the easiset spike to do in the game aswell...

I dunno it takes practice but fox was my first character when I first started and even as a newbie with no wavedash I did ok with him I found.

Superstar

Smash Champion
The problem I find with Fox is that he is easy to combo, my brother can dodge my attacks and then counterattack, then almost 0-death me. Also, my fingers aren't that fast, I get an average of 218.47ms after 15 times [maybe its also because I have a short attention span and too much FinalD makes me fall asleep, I enjoy the concept of a flat stage, but the scenery and music is horrible for long sessions. Its also that I haven't played smash in a while]. If only I could show a video of my playing.

Also, NES n00b, I think I already have enough characters. I was okay with shiek but Shiek does not seem my style...

AxemRed

Smash Journeyman

I agree with this, everyone who's interested in playing competitively should at least have an understanding of how high tier characters are played.

Also, I don't think people realize that becoming competent with one character can deepen your understanding of your main, even if they're completely unrelated. I'm as good as I am partly because I try to play as every single character. I do play some more than others but I'll never refuse to play a character just because I don't like that character (except in a tournament match), especially in friendlies. Even if I don't have videos up, Dylan knows what I'm talking about from the smash 64 matches we played.

You don't even have to use high tier characters in tournaments if you don't want, but being able to control characters widely different than the ones you use most will do wonders for your tech control and mindgames. I say this for high tier characters especially, because in some respects they are very hard to control perfectly.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Yeah and being UBER with a low tier can be a Trump card in a tournament, the guy wont expect it, and say hes a fox whor, fox is so easy to combo by many of the low tiers that if you get the mindgame advantage then you can **** him.

Just whip out a mind blowing Luigi, or... FUMI`s yoshi... O.o that guy is TOO good.

seriously, if you havent, type in SSBM FUMI in youtube, and pick your jaw off the floor after its all over.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I'm trying my hand with Bowser or Yoshi, I'm aiming more to Yoshi though. Hardly anyone plays either of them, so they don't know the hitboxes, lag time, start-up time etc. of each move so it throws them off a lot.

Sorry for making such a short post but I'm a little drained for owning some moron in another thread. Hopefully he's taking my advise about taking naps on train tracks right now.

mario-man

Smash Lord
Mario, Luigi, and Fox somewhat. No one else, and don't try to convince me to try others, cuz you'd be wasting your finger energy. Lol

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I'm trying my hand with Bowser or Yoshi, I'm aiming more to Yoshi though. Hardly anyone plays either of them, so they don't know the hitboxes, lag time, start-up time etc. of each move so it throws them off a lot.

Sorry for making such a short post but I'm a little drained for owning some moron in another thread. Hopefully he's taking my advise about taking naps on train tracks right now.
After watching FUMI I want to.. MAIN yoshi..

but it takes like.. years to become that good..

omg yoshi is SOOO not low tier.

Fumi.. omfg.

SWORDMASTER66

Smash Cadet
I'm going to join in because I am completely bored.

Mains= Fox, Marth, Jigglypuff

Secondaries= Falco, Falcon

Others= Mario, Kirby, Shiek, Roy, Mewtwo, Ganondorf, Link.

I used to main Marth but then I switched to Fox about 2 months ago. I have been using Jigglypuff as a secondary for a year or so.

Falco is a nice alternative to Fox. And Falcon was one of my mains in ssb64 so I use him in melee.

I just play the others just for fun with friends.

mario-man

Smash Lord
Hey guys, there's a bunch of ppl in this thread so I'll post this here.
If anybody here sees this post and is a Reds fan or critic, go here and reply plz:

In the Pool Room, it's called "Reds fans unite in our darkest hour"

Thx guys, I can't seem to get that many posts and I'm trying to get it moving before it gets closed so help plz k thx alot guys

Y34HDUD3!!!

Smash Lord
Well me mains are as follows:
1st place: Falco
2nd place: Capn' Falcon
3rd place: Mario

And yeah, Fumi is a crazy bastar*.
But Yoshi is not my best card at matches, so no Yoshi for me.

And I got extremely addicted to Chrono Dam*ed Trigger, soo
I'm now officially crazy for playing Chrono Cross. But I can't get mah ps1 emulator
to work so I'm pretty much screwed. *Explodes*

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Well me mains are as follows:
1st place: Falco
2nd place: Capn' Falcon
3rd place: Mario

And yeah, Fumi is a crazy bastar*.
But Yoshi is not my best card at matches, so no Yoshi for me.

And I got extremely addicted to Chrono Dam*ed Trigger, soo
I'm now officially crazy for playing Chrono Cross. But I can't get mah ps1 emulator
to work so I'm pretty much screwed. *Explodes*

The thing about Chrono Cross is that Chrono Trigger is better. Just play it over and over and over.. and over.. and over.. and over..

like I do...

and over and over and over...

Oh wow I want to have sexual relations with that game. it just.. is .. too good.

Dylan_tnga leveled up!
Dylan_tnga learned dual tech ice sword2
Dylan_tnga learned dual tech fire sword2

Lol Axem you are -the- coolest.

NES n00b

Smash Master
To be on topic, I have finally found out a way of how not to make Brawl suck. Make Captain Falcon the only character in the game and keep his Melee awesomeness (and make his moonwalk even better). I figured out this solution after playing Captain Falcon alot at the biweekly. Captain Falcon = awesomeness = pwnage = too good

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
To be on topic, I have finally found out a way of how not to make Brawl suck. Make Captain Falcon the only character in the game and keep his Melee awesomeness (and make his moonwalk even better). I figured out this solution after playing Captain Falcon alot at the biweekly. Captain Falcon = awesomeness = pwnage = too good

??!?!?!??!?!??!???!?!?!??!?!??!???!?!?!??!?!??!???!?!?!??!?!??!???!?!?!??!?!??!???!?!?!??!?!??!???!?!?!
??!?!?!??!?!??!???!?!?!??!?!??!???!?!?!??!?!??!???!?!?!??!?!??!???!?!?!??!?!??!???!?!?!??!?!??!?
??!?!?!??!?!??!???!?!?!??!?!??!???!?!?!??!?!??!???!?!?!??!?!??!???!?!?!??!?!??!???!?!?!??!?!??!?

OMFG!

me and my friend.. discussed.... EXACTLY EXACTLY THAT 4 WEEKS AGO. LIKE TO THE WORD.

freaky

Y34HDUD3!!!

Smash Lord
The thing about Chrono Cross is that Chrono Trigger is better. Just play it over and over and over.. and over.. and over.. and over..

like I do...

and over and over and over...

Oh wow I want to have sexual relations with that game. it just.. is .. too good.

Dylan_tnga leveled up!
Dylan_tnga learned dual tech ice sword2
Dylan_tnga learned dual tech fire sword2

Lol Axem you are -the- coolest.
Well I do know that Chrono Trigger is better, and that Chrono Cross feels more like Final Fantasy, but I just simply want to play it. Well just downloaded Super mario RPG, when I finish the new game+ I'll start playing that one. And prolly I'll just try to forget that there's a sequel and everything'll be fine.

Edit: it looked like Smashboards was fallin apart a while ago. Did the MODs fix the crap?

Editx2: BUTTSCRATCHA?!?!

Editx3: And indeed, the Capn' with the ******* has proven to be one of my fav weapons of mass destruction over the years. FEAR THE KNEE. Really do it. NOW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom