• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who has the best Spike/Meteor smash in SSB4?

Omegascizor456

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aldog12
3DS FC
2449-5093-2142
i would say captain falcon... he can go off stage relatively safely, and it has a pretty decednt sized hit box... so i would give this one to the big falcon! :D

Elite_Akumus

Smash Rookie
I'll say Donkey Kong has the best spike potential, having a total of 5*, with them being dair ( Can punish when players try to vertically without a strong attacking up + B such as DHD, His Cargo throw can spike on stages like FD if DK jumps off just a little bit below the stage, while facing the stage and then is thrown enough for DK's victim to be slapped against the wall (impractical in higher level of play, but its a good feeling to do it to people who don't see it coming and don't tend to struggle out of grabs and expect the instant throw or quick jab then throw) , others include his Down + B, Side + B and f-air having very similar hit-boxes to one another, not to mention his b-air being great for gimping/edge guarding for any path of recovery.

Last edited:

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
Wii fit header spike is powerful, controllable, and has one hell of a funky and encompassing hitbox. I've been spiked by the back of her head before.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
:4charizard: has a pretty good DAir spike, because it comes out fast and is really strong; I've KO'd characters like :4duckhunt: at below 100% just by DAiring them when they're trying to recover. Because it's fast, it's safer for Zard to do than FAir or BAir for gimping. Because he's also a heavy character, it means he can fall into them with the DAir quite effectively, too. Even if he doesn't spike with it, DAir is still one of Zard's best aerials.

Honestly, I've gimped so many people with the help of Charizard's DAir that it's not even funny.

Props go to :4ganondorf:'s DAir, as well, though.

Thirtyfour

Smash Journeyman
Not sure how some of you guys are coming to your conclusions. Spikes aren't great if you can't set them up or combo into them.
Spikes
Mario -
Luigi - Down Special, Down Taunt

Meteors
Mario - F-air (Meteor)
Luigi - Down Special (Spike) Down Taunt (Meteor?) D-air (Meteor)
Bowser - D-air (Meteor)
Peach - D-tilt (Meteor)
Yoshi - D-air (Spike/Trade) F-air (Meteor
Rosalina - D-air (?)
Bowser Jr. -
Wario -
G&W - D-Air (Meteor)
DK - Side Special (Spike), D-air, F-air (Meteor)
Diddy - Side Special (Spike), D-air (Meteor)
Link - D-tilt, D-air (Meteor)
Zelda - D-air (Spike sourspot, Meteor sweetspot)
Sheik - D-air (spike)
Ganondorf - D-air, Down Special (Meteor)
TLink - D-air (Meteor
Samus - D-air (Meteor)
ZSS - D-air (?) D-special (Meteor)
Pit - D-air (spike)
Palutena - D-air (?)
Marth - D-air (spike)
Ike - Up Special (spike), D-tilt, D-air (meteor)
Robin - Up Special (spike), D-air (bronze spike, Levin Meteor)
Kirby - Up Special, D-air (spike)
DDD - D-air, Up Special (meteor)
MK -
Little Mac - D-air (spike)
Fox - F-air (spike)
Falco - F-air (spike) D-air (meteor)
Pikachu - B-air (spike)
Charizard - D-air (meteor
Lucario -
Jiggs -
Greninja - D-Air (?)
DHDog -
Rob - D-Air (meteor)
Ness - D-Air (meteor
C.Falcon - Utilt (spike), D-air (meteor)
Villager - D-Air (?)
Olimar - D-Air (meteor)
WFT - ???
Dr. Mario - ???
Shulk - D-air (meteor)
Pac Man - ???
Mega Man - D-air (?)
Sonic - D-air
Mewtwo - D-air (meteor)
Lucas - D-air (spike), B-air (meteor)
Roy - D-air (meteor)
Ryu - D-air (meteor

Known(to me) combos into spikes.
Mario - Dthrow, Fair. Uair, Fair. Dair, Fair.
Diddy - Dthrow, Dair. Uair, Dair. Banana Dair
TLink - Bomb, Dair
ZSS - Down Special/Neutral Special/Nair/Dsmash/Dthrow into Down Special
Kirby - Fthrow, Up Special
Falco - 1Frame Dair, Dair
C.Falcon - Dair, Dair. Uair, Dair/Utilt. Dthrow, Dair
Lucas - Dthrow, Bair
Ryu - Dair/Nair, Dair

Objectively the best meteors in the game as far as I know have to go to Falcon and ZSS for being extremely easy to combo into in most situations (neutral, punishes) with no escape with even the best DI. Mario comes close, but with the right DI it's a 50-50
As for spikes, there aren't many comboable spikes that I know of are by Kirby and Falcon. Kirby probably has the best spike in the game though. Not only because it's a great edgeguard tool, but because it's one of the best combo starters in the game.

If the thread was for most powerful spikes then I'd have to say Ganondorf since it has electrical properties and is probably the most satisfying to land and leaad into a 2 hit, 38+ damage combo at low to mid %s

Reiza

Smash Rookie
Spikemaster, I do believe that the most comforting 'meteor smasher' is Diddy.
If only numbers please you then of course, run with mr Gannongreendaydorf as he will surely stomp some heads.

My reasoning for bringing up Diddy is his speed and recovery, DK and mr Gannongreendaydorf will at times send their opponents flying with not enough time to close the gap to even attempt the sweet foot-to-head lovemaking madness that is a meteor smash.

ShadedUmbreon

Smash Rookie
NNID
ShadedUmbreon
for most effective spike or gimp off Stage, my vote is on kirby's Dair. If you get caught in it off stage it usually means you are dead, and if you don't die from the meteor on the last hit of the move, kirby can either dair you again, footstool you, or float back to the safety of the ledge and force a ledge trump if the player is good enough. Not only is it quite effective, but it's really fun trying to pull it off.

Sykkamorre

Fights using psychology.
NNID
Sykkamor
Iirc, the most powerful spike/meteor changes I the early percent ranges.

Like at 0%, ganon's wizkick spike is the strongest I believe.

BulgeTremmor

Smash Rookie
At least King Dedede's up B spike has one of the highest knockback in the game to make up for having arguably one of the worst dairs in the game.

Last edited:

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
WFT's header spike is one of the best, imo. it's pretty strong, timeable, can be effective from above the stage since it hits an an angle, has an odd hitbox, is a good stalling technique, AND is a projectile if your opponent decides not to approach (which can be aimed at the stage for a ricochet hit while STILL being a viable meteor since the hitbox can hit from behind).

it's also notable that WFT has plenty of air mobility, another meteor, and her upB can gimp easily, giving her a ton of different options that will keep her opponents guessing and make the header spike more viable (whereas with some other characters with strong meteors you know better when it's coming).

ToastPerson

Smash Rookie
NNID
DooksAndDags
In terms of power and Koing early, Ike's up special, you can purposely miss the ledge while your opponent is on (with no invincibility) and net a free kill.

D

Deleted member

This prize has easily got to go to either :4charizard: or :4ganondorf:. Both come out quickly, send opponents down far even at lower percents... they're just so satisfying to hit too.

Honorary mention goes to :4zelda:. Even if you don't get the sweetspot offstage, the sourspot makes for hilarious gimps and even sets up into a footstool.

StephenCP

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3866-9132-6299
in my opinion, falco's down air is one of the best meteor smashes in the game. it's just so fun to pull off when done after a long combo.

but, ganon's down air is incredibly destructive, making it the best meteor smash in the game. it's one of the best moves to build hype up, honestly. super extreme, super impressive.

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I'm currently testing kill percents of every meteor smash, and so far, Ganondorf's Aerial Wizard's Foot has greater power than his Down air. There's other meteors that kill earlier than Ganon's Down air, so I'm convinced now to not give THAT much praise to the move.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I'm currently testing kill percents of every meteor smash, and so far, Ganondorf's Aerial Wizard's Foot has greater power than his Down air. There's other meteors that kill earlier than Ganon's Down air, so I'm convinced now to not give THAT much praise to the move.
Well, it's also super easy to land and isn't really unsafe offstage, so it has that going for it, too.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
If the people you're fighting offline can't see wizfoot coming from you when you're that confident in it, you need to find better people to train with
I... was referring to his Down-Air, not Wiz Foot :laugh:
i don't even use ganondorf

Last edited:

aεrgiα

Smash Journeyman
I misunderstood
I'm sorry, it's hard to take people seriously who claim to have different 3ds & WiiU mains
theres many reasons why people would have that though... you could actually have 2 mains, or one of the two could be your secondary, or maybe during the 3ds u mained one character, and then switched over to the wii u and ended up maining another character(either for competitive reason, you find another character more fun or you now main a dlc character)...

anyway, best spike imo(even if it isnt a really a spike) is ganons uair by far :urg:

honorable mentions that i dont see mentioned:
mii swords first up sepcial(back in stone or something like that) is so satisfying to land and pretty effective when people try to mess with his recovery

mii gunners 2nd up b(cannon uppercut), although sadly not allowed by a lot of rulesets is a great run offstage, throw it out and recover move, and if you run grenades you can true combo into it easily too

i also quite like lucas' 2 spikes, not the best spikes since bair needs to be spaced properly and dair doesnt connect all the hits reliably but bair is disjointed and knocks them back at a nice angle even if u miss the spike(assuming u face away from the stage) and dthrow combos into it at kill %s. dair isnt great but the multiple hits make covering the ledge or a predicted recovery path pretty easy, sadly you cannot have much or any horizontal movement at all if you want all the hits to connect :(

Reiza

Smash Rookie
theres many reasons why people would have that though... you could actually have 2 mains, or one of the two could be your secondary, or maybe during the 3ds u mained one character, and then switched over to the wii u and ended up maining another character(either for competitive reason, you find another character more fun or you now main a dlc character)...
That's not what "main" even means but i get what you're trying to say
m'gunna keep sitting up on my high-horse though because signatures are far better at conveying that information

aεrgiα

Smash Journeyman
That's not what "main" even means but i get what you're trying to say
m'gunna keep sitting up on my high-horse though because signatures are far better at conveying that information
well i mean im not gonna tell you what to think, and most people do have it in their signatures, but everything except for the secondary reasoning is a main, unless your going to say you can only have one main for what ever reason, which still means the last reason is 100% valid, unless people are now not allowed to have smash 64, melee, brawl and pm mains unless they still actively play the game... :/
Edit: also signatures dont show up on every post, your mains do :)

Last edited:

LightLV

Smash Ace
Best
1) Captain Falcon Dair
2) Ganon Dair
3) Either Kirby's Dair or Yoshi's Fair

Falcon has the best meteor attacks in the game, hands down. Not only do they all have massive hitboxes, all of his aerials force you to respect his options offstage, which gives him plenty of practical airdodge setups that can force you to lose a stock as early as 40%.

Ganon's is pretty much unsurvivable and also has a massive hitbox.

Kirby only because it has alot of active frames and Kirby himself is free to fish for it offstage since he has multiple jumps.

Yoshi again because of its ridiculous hitbox size and strength. You don't even have to aim his Fair spike.

Last edited:
Top Bottom