• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who has the best/worst jab in the game?

†Slader7†

Smash Ace
Teh Best
Snake: Priority, Strength
C Falcon: Has the Highest Priority of all of Falcon's moveset (sadly)
Ike: Because it's his fastest attack (lol), can kill (situational)

Teh Worst
Ganon: One hit thing (cannot combo), slow

Just my instant thoughts

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Wario has one of the rangiest jabs... like... with the step forward he takes, it has more range than MKs dsmash long.
Too bad it's slow. What is it, 7 frames? 8?

FB Dj_Iskascribble

Frostbitten
mks jab is really bad. you can get hit, perfect shield then punish. or just punish. whatever you want.
d3's is bad too. But at least he can hit with 1st jab to set up for forced get up dash attack.
metas jab cant do that.

snake and ike have the best jabs. especially since they are two of three that acutally have hitstun on them.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
mks jab is really bad. you can get hit, perfect shield then punish. or just punish. whatever you want.
d3's is bad too. But at least he can hit with 1st jab to set up for forced get up dash attack.
metas jab cant do that.

snake and ike have the best jabs. especially since they are two of three that acutally have hitstun on them.
Can you point me in the direction of the thread that lists all the moves in Brawl that have hitstun?

Because I didn't know that only 3 jabs in this game can stun.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Can you point me in the direction of the thread that lists all the moves in Brawl that have hitstun?

Because I didn't know that only 3 jabs in this game can stun.
Wait, there are only three jabs that do that?! I thought that Samus' was the only one that didn't!!

Answering the topic at hand:

Best: Ike (powerful, quick and can be cancelled into all sorts)

Worst: Zelda (slow like Ganondorf's, only one hit, and 6% damage)

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
ZSS a frame jab, that works well when cancelled to Dtilt.
Snake Jab kills...

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Teh Best
Snake: Priority, Strength
C Falcon: Has the Highest Priority of all of Falcon's moveset (sadly)
Ike: Because it's his fastest attack (lol), can kill (situational)

Teh Worst
Ganon: One hit thing (cannot combo), slow

Just my instant thoughts
Sorry, had to go back a bit.

C. Falcon? Really? Yea, it follows into jab. If C. Falcon's is up there, Fox's is past Falcon then, because I'm pretty sure you can't powershield after the first hit, it's faster, does more damage, and you can JJC some characters a fair bit too.

Ochobobo

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1075-1052-5472
Ganon's jab isn't that bad. It can hit through the gap in GW's bair if he shields the first few hits of it.

I'd say the worst jab is Zelda's. It's slow and can only setup a dash attack afterwards, which is also an incredibly slow move and easily shieldgrabbed.

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
While it is slowish and single-hit, Ganon' s Jab is his ultimate get-away-from-me attack. Its not the worst IMO (likely bottom ten).

Bwa

Smash Cadet
I would say ddd's, it's slow, laggy, useless.

Best would be... Peach's or ZSS's for speed, snake's or ike's for power.

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
Maybe I'm just strange, but is DDD's jab that bad? It doesn't seem the worst to me....bottom ten, yes. But the very bottom?

Iwan

Smash Ace
Jab > Grab works with many character's jabs. CF's other moves are just so bad that his metagame revolves around his jab.
Uniformed post of the year ^

On topic: Falco's jab is probably the best. It's super versatile. Also, I've seen some fox's do some pretty crazzzzzyyyyy things with jab canceling, so I'll throw him in this list too I suppose.

Peach has a great jab that comes out in 2 frames, which is great after an AC'd fair.

Falcon's jab and boxing game in general is just really efficient; no one's jab>jab>grab works quite as well and efficiently as falcon's does.

Ivysaur's is really cool....lol, and good in certain situations.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
@The people thinking that Ganon's Jab is good: How could a 8 frame jab be a "get off me" attack? It's 8 freaken frames, not any lower. Zelda doesn't really have to use her jab, because she has better/faster options.

For characters to combo, they must only have a few frames of lag in between a hit. Let's say from 1 to 6 at tops. I don't ever remember a character having 8 frames of lag in between each follow-up they do, that would be enough for anyone to run away.

There are smashes that come out faster than 8 frames. To name a few, all of Zelda's smashes, Mario's Dsmash/USmash, Link's DSmash, etc.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Zelda jab is pretty bad. Hits on frame 9 I think which is only 1 frame faster then a game and watch dsmash. Doesn't combo into anything, and the damage isn't too much nor is the range. Also because of it's cool down and priority it's not very good at being spammed either.

prince_of_darkness

Smash Cadet
The fact that Ike's metagame revolves around his jab has no influence on his jab compared to everyone elses. Nor does Snake's tilts have ANYTHING to do with the best jabs. I think it is Ike's followed by Snake though.
I was waiting for someone to point that out.

Just listing the better options those characters might have, sorry for getting off topic.

Snake's F-tilt actually does involve being one of the best jabs, if you involve jab canceling.

IMO, I would say the best jabs would look like this:

1.Ike
2.Falco
3.Snake:
4.Lucario
5.ZSS

Worst: Pikachu,Jigglypuff,G&W, Olimar, Zelda (Not in any order)

Meta's knight jab is one of his worst moves, but it really isn't that bad.

Also,

Peach and Wario have good jabs.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I understand that the last hit of Snake's jab is powerful. It can kill.

But unless you're caught against a wall, you will never be at a percentage where you can't avoid being hit and it will still kill you at the same time.

Zelda's Jab isnt' that bad. It might be slow for a jab, but it's still fast and little cool down time. It's a great get out of my face move.

Snake's Jab is ok I guess. It certainly has properties where it can clash with a ton of attacks. If you even hold A to get the jab Spam, that can be a good defence. I mean against someone like CF, all of his ground approaches pretty much clash with the jab. Making him have to approach through the air or other methods.

I do not see how G&Ws jab is bad, it can lead canceled into other attacks easily.

Meta Knight doens't even seem to have a jab. It's more like a locking method such as the opponent is caught between your jab and ledge, or is used to jab lock against the wall.

I really never understood why Ike's jab is that good compared to anyone else.

Top Bottom