• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who has the most useful Defence mechanisms?

BloodBird

Smash Journeyman
Basically you got shields like Links and fox's and then Lucas and Ness's Energy Absorber, but my bid for the most successful Defence is Pit's shield, as it covers almost all attacks from the front.

Anyone else have any opinions.

Mario's Cape - 1 vote
Peach's Toadstool - 0 votes
Link's/Toon Link's Shield - 0 votes
Pit's Shield - 2 votes
Fox's Energy Shield - 0 votes
Falco's Energy Shield - 0 votes
Wolf's Energy Shield - 2 votes
Lucario's Counter - 0 votes
Marth's/Ike's Counter - 1 vote
Ness'/Lucas's Energy Absorber - 0 Votes
Zelda's Nayrus Love - 0 votes

kingcobra9

Smash Ace
you can't beat a defense like being able to not exist. you can't kill a ghost. but if it has to be something that CAN be stopped just hard to i would say lucas absorber since it heals him and with some tech he can almost fly back to safety. or marth's counter for up close

POKE40

Smash Lord
you can't beat a defense like being able to not exist. you can't kill a ghost. but if it has to be something that CAN be stopped just hard to i would say lucas absorber since it heals him and with some tech he can almost fly back to safety. or marth's counter for up close
Meta Knight exists....in a different dimension.
he happens to go to melee. But you see pichu kicks his @$$ and MK is like wtf.
So MK is frustrated since he can't beat anyone in the melee dimension and decides to go back to brawl.

Oh yeah and the most useful?
snake. He has a lot of things to use for defense & as well as offense
Snake's projectiles **** hard. :D

JUDGE

Smash Lord
don't you guys think marios cape is way to bad : )
it is defenitly the best defence tool

BloodBird

Smash Journeyman
I should make a list of all the Defense Mechanisms.
Then you guys can vote.

See my first post for the list

Scaphist

Smash Apprentice
I think you should seperate Fox/Falco/Wolf. I'd have to say Wolfs reflector is better due to the invincibility it grants before it comes out, making it a really good tool when someones up in your face.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
You should've titled "Which character has the best defense move?"... this is misleading.

I was gonna say Dedede, but since it's about moves.. <.<

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I was thinking more along the lines of Game and Watch and Marth.

And Mario's cape sucks as a defensive tactic, by the way. As does Ness/Lucas magnets.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Seperate Ness and Lucas' magnet and the spacies' reflectors.

I know that at least for Fox, his shine is used more as a stalling/gimping (offensive) move, not so much a defensive move, so I wouldn't say yes for that one. Peach's toad isn't too terribly bad, but it isn't something you should use a ton...Link and TL's shield sucks, you have to be standing still for it to even block, and Lucario's counter isn't too great.

Out of those, I guess I would vote for either Ike/Marth's counter or Pit's shield. I think it'd be a more interesting topic if it was switched to what Spadefox's idea of the thread was, though.

BloodBird

Smash Journeyman
My use of the word Defensive Mechanisms was in the sense that it is a Defense only move, where Metaknights Spin may be used defensivly it is primarilly an attack, whereas Lucas absorber and mario's cape or marth's counter are primarily defensive moves. I also used the word mechanism to include Link and Toon Link's shields, since they block low projectiles but arent moves.

shmo395

Smash Cadet
no mr gnw bucket?
lol silly noob, bucket gets 3 fills, then no more protection, on the other hand, wolf is like "check me out, my NRG shield survives at least 1 hit of pretty much anything :)

shmo395

Smash Cadet
Pit's shield

Stops melee attacks too
but u can get hit in the head even when tilting up, and it takes awhile to take out and put back, the B left is much more useful cuz you cant c it coming as easily, and it does damage, along with reflecting projectiles and short range melee, and short grab :p

cman

Smash Ace
Marth's Whale Render definitely. The moves you listed are pretty terrible defensively

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Mario's Cape - 1 vote
Pit's Shield - 2 votes
Marth's/Ike's Counter - 1 vote
Ness'/Lucas's Energy Absorber - 0 Votes
Mario's Cape: Stops all projectile (including PK Flash and PK Freeze) and physical attacks. Not resistant against transcendent priority, such as z-air (Samus, Link, Toon Link).

Peach's Toadstool: Counters all projectile and physical attacks, including transcendent priority, but is useless after it has been out.

Link's/Toon Link's Shield: Stops projectile attacks, but only if Link/Toon Link is standing. It's also dependent on whether or not Link/Toon Link is turning his body or doing some sort of movement.

Pit's Mirror Shield: Stops all projectile (including PK Flash and PK Freeze) and physical attacks, including transcendent priority. Projectile attacks increase in speed and power once reflected. It also acts like Mario's Cape when the shine is present when it is brought out.

Fox's/Falco's/Wolf's Reflector: Reflects all projectile attacks, including PK Flash and PK Freeze. Projectile attacks increase in speed and power once reflected. Reflectors can be used as attacks as well. For Falco, projectiles are reflected until his Reflector is put away. For Wolf, invincibility frames at the start-up.

Lucario's/Marth's/Ike's Counter: Counters all attacks and projectiles. For Lucario and Marth, the cool down leaves them open for attack while they're still in the last frames of Counter. For Ike, it's the opposite. His start-up leaves him vulnerable to attacks. It takes a bit longer.

Ness'/Lucas' PSI Magnet: Absorbs all energy-based projectiles, including Zero Suit Samus' d-smash, PK Flash and PK Freeze, but it's not resistant to solid projectiles or physical attacks. For Ness, the PSI Magnet gives a small push, but it's barely noticeable, let alone useful. Ness can also get out of his PSI Magnet instantly after absorbing energy-based projectiles. For Lucas, the PSI Magnet can injure his opponent. He may also use it to recover after perform PK Fire and the PSI Magnet away from the stage, which pushes him toward the stage.

Zelda's Nayru's Love: Reflects all projectile attacks, including PK Flash and PK Freeze. It may also be used to injure Zelda's opponent. Projectile speed and power also increase if reflected.

I'd have to say that Pit's Mirror Shield is the best defense. Link/Toon Link has the worst.

BloodBird

Smash Journeyman
For ease of use I'll just repost the vote each page.

Mario's Cape - 1 vote
Pit's Shield - 3 votes
Marth's/Ike's Counter - 3 votes
Ness'/Lucas's PSI Magnet - 0 Votes
Game and Watch's Bucket 1 vote

foofatron

Smash Cadet
G&W's bucket: Can absorb attacks, but better yet can be used to live for like ever lol. Defense against the death zones!

G&W's upb: Has invincibility frames, will escape practically anything.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Votes shouldn't be what determines which is better. What I've listed is useful to determine which one is the better one.

PHiL Gee

Smash Cadet
I was thinking more along the lines of Game and Watch and Marth.

And Mario's cape sucks as a defensive tactic, by the way. As does Ness/Lucas magnets.

What!
I love Lucas's PSI Magnet its so fun!
It does damage, makes you float a little(like fox's)
I like to jump off stage and use it just above Ness or Lucas when they use PK thunder. It gets sucked in and they just fall down :laugh:

BloodBird

Smash Journeyman
Votes shouldn't be what determines which is better. What I've listed is useful to determine which one is the better one.
Ya but I like people to have their opinion :)
and disagreeing is what the discussion is for

Mario's Cape - 2 votes
Pit's Shield - 3 votes
Marth's/Ike's Counter - 7 votes
Ness'/Lucas's PSI Magnet - 2 Votes
Game and Watch's Bucket 1 vote

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Ya but I like people to have their opinion :)
Opinions aren't fact.

and disagreeing is what the discussion is for
And no one has disagreed with what I wrote. No one else has even set up reasons why this or that is better than the rest. Imagine people voting for Link/Toon Link. Votes do not prove anything. They're useless, and something accepted by the majority doesn't mean it's correct. A simple tale in history that man once believed the world was flat is proof that the majority doesn't mean it's correct.

ZettaKuma

Smash Cadet
I will have to say the PSI Magnets.
Those work good against Pikachu (THUNDA!) or Pit (Stupid blue arrows...)
Lucas's also doubles as a recover move , and (like posted) hurt foes.

JUDGE

Smash Lord
marios defence is the best just because his cape
its fast
yeah, mario is cool but marths counter is better
by theway gale you have many grammatical mistakes in your sentence ; )

BloodBird

Smash Journeyman
Mario's cape has a good effect to turn the person around but Pit has that same attribute so he would beat Mario out there.

JUDGE

Smash Lord
Mario's cape has a good effect to turn the person around but Pit has that same attribute so he would beat Mario out there.
but pit's downB havn't got as much applications as marios cape like cape stalling, cape teleport ,aerial cape extension etc.
so you can't really say that pits shield beats marios cape

Top Bottom