• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who here knows more than one language?

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
I forgot to add, I respect the people that want to learn new languages out of pure passion. But seriously nowadays you see a lot of young people wanting to learn Japanese for LAME REASONS. I blame the media. The media always is to blame.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I forgot to add, I respect the people that want to learn new languages out of pure passion. But seriously nowadays you see a lot of young people wanting to learn Japanese for LAME REASONS. I blame the media. The media always is to blame.
Thank you for that.

And yeah I find that's true. Media = (b)lame.

-Terywj

Cinder

Smash Master
Yeah, pretty much. Granted, I see any reason as a legit reason to learn a new language. I personally don't have Japanese on my list because of some kawaii anime. I have Japanese because it's a relatively useful language (especially in business...not that I'm going into business), and like Tery, I have a passion for new languages. I mean, my girlfriend and I are both learning it, and neither of us intend to live in Japan, and it's not at the top of our visit list *coughSwedeniscough*, but it's a neat language. Besides, it would make a Japanese-American's day to hear someone speaking Japanese to them.

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
I know English and Spanish fluently.

I know Japanese at an intermediate level.

Used to know some French and Italian to get around.

VodkaHaze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VodkaHaze58
You're correct. The only reason people want to learn Japanese is because of anime. I have to learn German because it's in my curriculum. The media complained about how kids aren't taking enough higher German. I don't blame them; German seems really difficult and doesn't seem useful in the future.

Nishin

Smash Apprentice
I speak basic French and basic German.
Nothing too advanced, more or less enough to survive should I wake up one day and find myself in France/Germany.

xLeafybug =D

Smash Master
I know English & Spanish fluently, being raised in Cuba for a few years. I'm also learning Fillipino, because of my girlfriend, but I'm not taking that too seriously. I intend to learn a few more languages, for business purposes. I intend to learn Mandarin or Cantonese, and I guess that Japanese would also be pretty useful in a business field.

Cinder

Smash Master
You're correct. The only reason people want to learn Japanese is because of anime.
No, it's not. It's one reason, but not the only one. As I said, I'm not learning it because of any anime. I'm learning it for the sake of learning a new language.

I have to learn German because it's in my curriculum. The media complained about how kids aren't taking enough higher German. I don't blame them; German seems really difficult and doesn't seem useful in the future.
Speak for yourself. Just because it's not useful to you doesn't mean it isn't useful to anyone else. I'm teaching myself German, and I'm enjoying it. Not only do I plan to visit Germany at some point, I'm (possibly) part German. German is useful to me. Even if everyone there speaks English (which not everyone does), I want to learn their language to not only connect with my possible German roots, I want to show the people there that there are still people that care enough about their culture to at least try to learn their language.

REL38

Smash Lord
Obviously English.
My best, but second learned language.

Spanish is my native language.
Fluent enough, but my sentence structure is somewhat lacking.

Low amounts of French.
Easy to pick up though. I'll keep learning it for the sake of it.

Very low Japanese.
More so a variety of words I can't link together.
It may have its uses and I know this family who know Japanese so I may try to see if they'd help.

I'm dying to learn Italien though
:D

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
My list now looks like:

Fluency - Cantonese, Mandarin
Average - English, Hakka, Italian
Novice - Japanese
Dropped - Spanish
Targets - Vietnamese, Korean

-Terywj

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Cinder do you realize that German and Czech are two of the most difficult indo-european languages to learn? Not that I don't admire your eagerness to learn new languagues but I'd like to mention that you shouldn't try to learn too much at once. ESPECIALLY not complicated languages like german, czech (or other northern-slavic languages).

Honestly, I'm glad that german is my native language because I don't have to learn it now. <_<

Edit: Bah what a lame 4000th post <_<

:059:

StinkomanFan

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2724-2849-3244
I tried to learn French, German, and Esperanto but all I got out of it was "Omlette due Framage" and "Schviennehund!" As you may have noticed I couldn't spell them well either.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Since I'm Cantonese I plan on applying to University of Hong Kong or at least go there as an exchange student.

Not to mention since I'm an official residence I get a discount. :)

-Terywj

Kupo Rose

It's what my cutie mark is telling me ♫
English Scottish I guess?
Cantonese
Some Hakka, although I can understand it better than speaking it.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
I know how to speak 6 languages fluently:

English, Scottish, Canadian, Irish, Australian and American.

Yes, i really am that leet.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
You said tell me how they can be considered a language of their own.

No, i wont tell you how they can be considered a language of their own.

Cinder

Smash Master
They're dialects. Hell, Scotts is so different that it has its own dictionaries and some people really do call it its own language. EDIT: Unless he's referring to Irish and Scottish Gaelic. Either way, the others are still dialects. They DO have distinct features, though learning them all isn't exactly a challenge. It's like knowing Mexican Spanish and European Spanish.

And Gheb, thanks for the advice, but don't worry about me xD I've yet to touch Czech, and I'm only worried about the basics for German for now. My top two priorities are Spanish and Swedish right now. I want to eventually master German and have a strong handle on Czech, but only time will tell. (Besides, I'm around talented and/or native speakers of both, so that's a plus...that and so far, it hasn't been too bad, even if I am at a basic level)

The hardest language I've seen so far is Finnish *saw Finnish numbers spelled out and nearly passed out*

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
My list now looks like:

Fluency - Cantonese, Mandarin
Average - English, Hakka, Italian
Novice - Japanese
Dropped - Spanish
Targets - Vietnamese, Korean

-Terywj
I want to learn Cantonese because I'd love to visit Hong Kong one day.

Cinder do you realize that German and Czech are two of the most difficult indo-european languages to learn? Not that I don't admire your eagerness to learn new languagues but I'd like to mention that you shouldn't try to learn too much at once. ESPECIALLY not complicated languages like german, czech (or other northern-slavic languages).

Honestly, I'm glad that german is my native language because I don't have to learn it now. <_<

Edit: Bah what a lame 4000th post <_<

German really isn't that hard.

It depends on the person, but it is quite formulaic. I did French for advanced education but my written German score was actually higher when I did my intermediate level exams because it's much easier not to make a mistake. Iron laws man.

ALLES IN ORDNUNG! :mad:

Jonkku

Lacks pick-up lines.
The hardest language I've seen so far is Finnish *saw Finnish numbers spelled out and nearly passed out*
I don't know what you're talking about. :p

The numbers are easy after you learn the first ten nineteen and the trick used for making the rest.. Just like almost any other language. The "trick" is even easier than it is in English, since there's no different words for each ten like twenty or thirty. Instead they're two tens, three tens etc..

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I want to learn Cantonese because I'd love to visit Hong Kong one day.
I'm probably going again this summer. Hong Kong is indeed amazing.

The numbers are easy after you learn the first ten and the trick used for making the rest.. Just like almost any other language. The "trick" is even easier than it is in English, since there's no different words for each ten like twenty or thirty. Instead they're two tens, three tens etc..
Agreed. The same is with all Chinese, Japanese, etc..

-Terywj

Cinder

Smash Master

The numbers are easy after you learn the first ten nineteen and the trick used for making the rest.. Just like almost any other language. The "trick" is even easier than it is in English, since there's no different words for each ten like twenty or thirty. Instead they're two tens, three tens etc..
Really? Hrm, I guess I saw the length and got startled xD Sorry 'bout that...actually, I've got a friend learning Finnish...he DID say there was a lot of logic behind the numbers. Heheh ^^;

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Dutch and English fluently, French is meh, I'm still learning it, and if you can speak Dutch you are very capable of communicating with Germans.

So yeaaa.

Don't learn Dutch btw, Arabic will get you much farther in here in Holland.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
How many Moroccans are there in Holland now?

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Cinder, I think the main problem with learning finnish is that it's not indo-european. All of the languages you learn in schools - english, german, frensch, spanish, italian etc - are indo-european and thus pretty similar to a certain extent (in some cases they are REALLY similar like english and german). You will find certain words (especially names and names for relatives) that are very similar in germanic, romanic and slawic languages because those languages all have the same ancostors. Not only do they share a similar vocabulary but the grammar has a pretty uniform basis.

I really don't know much about finnish but I can see that it's hard to learn it because you have no other language as point of reference. It's not related to any other language (except hungarian) you heard before and I assume that most of the grammatic rules from indo-european languages don't apply to finnish.

Teran, I don't know about your german so I can't tell. Learning the basics of a language is almost always easy (if it's indo-european) but advanced german is difficult. That language's vocabulary and grammar is a lot more differentiated than english and I don't think you know about most aspects of the german language yet. If you do, that's pretty cool but I doubt it. From a language sientific point of view german is a difficult language to learn.

Top Bottom