• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who in NC still cares about Brawl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stockfield

Smash Champion
Dude I love brawl, and I am trying really improve. Just sucks to be told that I'm a noob for the plain reason that I play brawl. It's irritating.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, it seems like a very vocal group of Melee players really want to make sure we know that too :ohwell: There's no reason to buy into the trolling though, nothing good comes from it...

DJRome

Smash Hero
tbh, i can respect brawl players for their brawl skill but melee is another game entirely

nick, correct me if i'm wrong, but it's way more fun to win than to lose right? and if i can see anything, it's that there's no part of your crew that really won at melee, hence the going away from it.

stingers. . . idk, brawl is brawl but melee is smash. 64 and melee both exemplify how smash is pictured with the fancy tricks and technically hard maneuvers

Jon?

Smash Champion
Not to sound like a douche...

Stingers, I think the only reason you think the Brawl scene is dying is because you live in an area where the Brawl scene is minuscule. NCSU has one of the strongest if not, the strongest Brawl scene in the State. At the moment, there aren't many people playing due to exams and Christmas Break but during the regular school year, we usually try to set up two Wii's in the library when we are practicing for tournaments.

I'm still serious about Brawl. Foxy's realizing he's really good at the game, so he's serious about it. Fritz has a legit Diddy Kong. Paii has a legit DDD. Ledgr has a legit Wario/Kirby. Flamy and SOS don't play much but when it comes to tournaments, they get serious.

@Shady: Yo, you found out what college you going to? You should come to State, it's made legit here.

EDIT: I think the drama of PeePee quitting the game is getting to you.

DJRome

Smash Hero
pardon me, but i don't see how the state's brawl is to be considered that good. jon, you say there's lots of legit players, but no one in the state was even mentioned for possibly going into brawl crews. maybe we have different definitions of legit, but it doesn't seem to be so. like nc has less than a handful of legit melee, namely adam, pp, and mike.

Jon?

Smash Champion
I never said our state was "that" good. We have really good players, but no one that really stands out nation wide. My meaning of "legit" is probably not the same as yours. When I say "legit," I meant they are players who have the potential to become some of the best in our state.

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
It's brand new is why. The scene was entirely undeveloped last year, but we have a LOT of people (namely, everyone except for Jon, Sauce, and Flamy) that decided to seriously pick up the game this year. We just started a tournament series to help find the rest of the unknown talent in this university as well.

Hypn0tic_Specter

Smash Rookie
I think I'm the only person among Wilm smash that will say it and my crew will probably kill me but I still enjoy Brawl. I mostly play Melee but I'd still like to learn Brawl as well. I plan on entering Brawl singles as well as Melee at HERB 3.

THO

Smash Apprentice
I don't really see brawl as dying out. Whenever I attend a tourney in state I am extremely tempted to enter brawl just because the tourney is so big and so too is the pot. From my perspective the sheer amount of money I could make playing a game for a few hours makes me want to play Brawl.

Yet volume of players doesn't necessarily imply skill.

I think the main problem with the NC Brawl scene is the lack of scope the players have. In melee PP doesn't care about being top on our PR, he cares about being top in the world. When he competes in state he is really just preparing for a much harder match in the future. He wants to be the best.

The same can be said for Alex and I. We play B+ not to win local tourneys, that sure is nice, but honestly that doesn't mean ****. We are training so that we can attempt to win a national event. I'm not like, I really need to beat foxy or Duo at this next tourney, I'm like man those guys will be really good practice for when I'm playing people like Chudat or Ally or some other huge name in B+ that will be at the next national event.

I think a huge problem with B in NC is that no one seems to project this desire onto the community. I don't see anyone being like I wanna get top 8 at a national event. We all just live in our little NC bubble trying to rise up in the PR.

What each player needs to ask themselves isn't how high they want to be on the PR, its why they want to be on the PR in the first place. Anthony, a player not many people recall who plays only vB, desires not to be on the PR because he wants to play the best players first, so that he can play more of them and so get better faster. He doesn't want a free pass to semifinals, he wants to play only the best so that he can get ****ing good.

So ask yourself, what do I want? To beat Shady? **** that, you need to beat way better people than that, Shady is just a stepping stone on your way to the top (Heh, shady).

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I think PRs are a good place to start if you aren't going to be doing well nationally. It has to be done in steps.

Aside from that, I support what you're saying.

Edit: My goals were(and are):

1. place well consistently(do well basically)/get on the PRs(everything until 5 is move up the PRs)

2. beat Peter

3. Beat Ali

4. Beat LoZR

5. Get known regionally

6. Get known/accredited nationally

7. Uhhh do well at Pound lol

Another edit: I never thought about the next goal until I had achieved the one right in front of me.

DJRome

Smash Hero
rap came after singing.
rap takes skill but much less than singing
singing focuses on technique
everyone likes singing
not everyone likes rap
many people find rap boring and pointless
rap videos are fun to watch (for me anyways :))
i'm much worse at rapping than singing
you are punished more for mistakes in singing
rapper's get **** for their music for not being good enough
etc

Stockfield

Smash Champion
I think PRs are a good place to start if you aren't going to be doing well nationally. It has to be done in steps.

Aside from that, I support what you're saying.

Edit: My goals were(and are):

1. place well consistently(do well basically)/get on the PRs(everything until 5 is move up the PRs)

2. beat Peter

3. Beat Ali

4. Beat LoZR

5. Get known regionally

6. Get known/accredited nationally

7. Uhhh do well at Pound lol

Another edit: I never thought about the next goal until I had achieved the one right in front of me.
I think thats funny because my goals are like that. One of them was to beat you PP. Too bad I am still on the Place Well Consistently part, but I will get past that and get better.

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
That's really close, except the "Everyone likes singing" part. You could change the analogy to "Smash" instead of "Melee" I guess.

@THO: That is... true, to an extent. But another largely popular reason (and it has been stated multiple times) that Brawl is so preferred amongst competitive players is that you can be *viable* with close to no hardcore effort. Perhaps Brawlers are just spoiled because the plateau is so easily noticable and reached, whereas you DEFINITELY see yourself getting better when you improve in Melee, even past the point where you master technical ability.

Me personally, I just want to wait for B+ to stabilize so I can devote myself fully to this game. I will keep Melee as a side interest so I will not have to start fresh if I ever decide to work on it competitively, but I'm in college, and there isn't a large scene for it here, so I am short for both time and practice usually. And before someone makes a crack about me never even showing up for classes or doing homework... f u >_> lol

*P*L*U*R*

Smash Hero
rap has been around about as long as rhyming poetry has been because they are basically the same thing. either way, people get different things out of both so whats the point in saying that? all you're doing is disguising a brawl troll.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
HAHA! now we're classifying whale sounds as singing? i thought it was just a form of communication for them?
No, its a song. Every year the song changes, but is sung identically around the world. They MAY have a language, its still debated, but their song is there, and its unclear why or how the humpback whales manage to sing the same song from all around the world every year. Whales are wonderful things :3

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
ledger transfer to duke. . .
>_< I'm in engineering, so I'd pay like a billion dollars extra every semester to get a lesser than or equal to education, be expected to actually do my work, just to play Melee lol.

I'll just go to the biweeklies if I have enough disposable income every other week for gas.

THO

Smash Apprentice
So your saying that its easier to see improvement in melee than in Brawl. I actually find it way more difficult to detect increased skill at melee.

Its like this, when you first start playing melee your like ****, i got no techz. So you work on that, but then you get the basics down and really aren't much better. Of course you consistently beat nubs, thats a sure thing in melee, but you don't really stand a chance against actual good people.

When it really comes down to it, the games are nearly the same when dealing with the fundamentals of spacing, pressure, approaches and chains. These combine together to make the player who predicts the opponent more, more likely to win.

When i was still into brawl I got very frustrated because there wasn't much to practice, the bulk of the game came from knowing matchups and just generally understanding each characters frame and hit box data. I found it very difficult to detect any improvement because i'd loose to a different character each time. I'd be like okay, i can deal with snakes, metaknights, DDD, rob, olimar... but now I gotta fight mits' lucario, **** never fought a lucario before (got *****). The next tourney i'm like okay, okay, i can fight wario and GW, oh now i got ***** by Marth and Pikachu (though that was really close).

What i'm getting at is that the practice in brawl is really just fundamentals, while in melee its a combination of fundamentals with techz. People do this thing in melee where they focus on tech for like a month, hit a new level of skill and then just get ***** at tourney because they don't know how to apply it to the fundamentals yet. Then they apply it after a while and realize they need more tech. There's just this weird balance between getting beaten from lack of tech and from lack of fundamentals.

Brawl doesn't create that rift, there are just way more matchups to learn so the initial difficulty arises from conquering that, but afterward is really just applying fundamentals to a fully understood (hopefully) system (outplaying your opponent). I know i'm getting better at brawl because I know more facts about each character, I know exactly what to do in one more of the millions of combinations that can occur in the game.

A completely different problem is that so many people love melee and hype it so much that every one just doesn't have the energy to share with brawl. Its hard to be like PP play brawl so that I can have a competitive spirit to conquer you, when what we all really want is to see PP winning the next Pound tourney and shouting Catfish and Stack it up, in Grand finals. Cuz thats what I wanna do.

THO

Smash Apprentice
k, hahaha, yeah alex is in one now too, and i gots my first tomorrow. WTF i'm jewish, i don't take finals on the sabbath.

I like it how PP is so dedicated he is posting right before a final, ****

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom