• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who is the next "Top Player"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
You can defend them all you want. My issue is that you act like a butt hurt fan boy about it.

I'm not being an ***. I'm just stating my honest opinion about it. You're the *** for insulting people who disagree with you. You're like a big immature child. I find it upsetting.
A fanboy? Really? I defend my friends, you're an *** for being ignorant and stating incorrect stuff about things you should do more research on. Until then, stfu, your honest opinion is unviable. That disagreement is more than just an argument, it's something where you put people down based on your BS views and those things I'll never let slide.. you are fighting an impossible battle.

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
Holy **** MikeHaggar I just woke up, that story just made my day hahahahaha I ****ing HATE when people act more drunk than they really are.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Froggy, you are a nobody who doesn't understand what you're talking about. Zhu and Axe haven't been performing well because they either lost the drive to get better or stopped practicing, not because of some "past his prime" **** that only matters in sports where physical superiority is favored over the ability to think. In any case either of them would ****ing tear you a new one in this game if you ever showed up at a relevant tourney so you should seriously shut your goddamn mouth. Do you understand why people are always disagreeing with you in every thread? Or why you continue to argue your wrong viewpoint even after people like Wobbles tell you why you're wrong? It's because you're always wrong, or you're trolling and sitting at your computer desk in your dorm room that you never leave because you have no friends, which means you're a terrible waste of space and I hope you contract a terrible incurable disease.

I am ignoring you (the first time I have ever ignored someone on Smashboards in over 4 and a half years and I have really wanted to do it before) and I will never see another one of your ****ty posts again, thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster. I suggest everyone else here do the same.
So much said and nothing but a bunch of idiocy. ''Lost there drive or stopepd practicing'' is the same thing as past there prime you idiot. It's not everybody, it's the majority who disagree with me on just somethings. I get into disputes because I'm an opinionated newbie. I accept that. It's not like anyone has crushed any of my arguments. I don't think I've actually been wrong on anything.

I'm a nobody? What does that even mean, I'm not well known or haven't accomplished much in this community. Of course that's the case, I've only been here for a few month. The whole reason I've been mouthy today is because someone complained the other day, that someone was making fun of people with a psychological disorder(which this person has), but everyone defended him because he's well known. That's kind what's going on here, and I have a problem with this. There is a problem in the smash community if you all the popular members all flock around each other unconditionally and no one calls them out on it.

Ignore me if you want, idc. It's not like what you think hold any weight with me.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Hey now, the community has its flaws, but as long as you aren't a little ***** and your name isn't leffen, we'll love you anyway.
You just gotta realize when you are spewing bull****.

Warhawk

Smash Lord
So much said and nothing but a bunch of idiocy. ''Lost there drive or stopepd practicing'' is the same thing as past there prime you idiot.
No it literally is not. The prime of someone's career is when their abilities and success is at the greatest it will ever be, which means they will never be able to achieve the same level of abilities and success again. Because a video game like smash is pretty much mostly experience and mental abilities, that window is a lot larger than if it was based mostly on physical abilities. This means that losing drive or practice for a year or two isn't really necessarily the end of their prime because they can more easily get that back and get back to that level, especially since their experience will still be there and most likely their mental skills for the game won't be changed too much. Chu Dat was able to come back and be quite successful.

D

Deleted member

i don't know a single tier 1 or 2 player that was playing at their best, quit for a year, and came back and was able to achieve the same placings.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
Hey now, the community has its flaws, but as long as you aren't a little ***** and your name isn't leffen, we'll love you anyway.
You just gotta realize when you are spewing bull****.
im to lazy to read the posts above yours but if youre saying my story is incorrect you are sadly mistaken. many where there to witness, you can simply ask armada.

Warhawk

Smash Lord
i don't know a single tier 1 or 2 player that was playing at their best, quit for a year, and came back and was able to achieve the same placings.
I would argue Chu Dat and a lot of players quit when they were already on the way down, so its not entirely because they quit that they don't return to their prime. I would think too the dedication a lot of times isn't the same as when they were a top player.

Mike Haggar he was talking to Froggy, it wasn't about your story lol.

D

Deleted member

I live with chu.

you don't know what you're talking about on two levels, but that's alright. I'll address one of them, as the other is private.

when chu came back to play melee, he was never again 2nd best player in the world. therefore, my initial statement still stands.

Warhawk

Smash Lord
when chu came back to play melee, he was never again 2nd best player in the world. therefore, my initial statement still stands.
I guess so, but I still think it could happen though I know it probably never will. Chu quit again before he could attempt to climb even higher and so you really didn't get to see if someone could again find that drive if they could then again also climb back up the rankings to their former place in competitive smash.

D

Deleted member

chu could definitely not be #2 in the world ever again no matter how bad he wanted it.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
chu could definitely not be #2 in the world ever again no matter how bad he wanted it.
Why not? He beat Hbox and nearly beat M2k.. that's pretty much #3 potential at the very least. Though if you really want to be adamant about Chudat being #2 again.. fine.. But to me Top 2-5 means pretty much the same... almost.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
No it literally is not. The prime of someone's career is when their abilities and success is at the greatest it will ever be, which means they will never be able to achieve the same level of abilities and success again. Because a video game like smash is pretty much mostly experience and mental abilities, that window is a lot larger than if it was based mostly on physical abilities. This means that losing drive or practice for a year or two isn't really necessarily the end of their prime because they can more easily get that back and get back to that level, especially since their experience will still be there and most likely their mental skills for the game won't be changed too much. Chu Dat was able to come back and be quite successful.
Are you serious? Chudat used to be top 3 in the country. After his break, I'm not sure he's even top 30 anymore.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
How about hugs he quit for a while then came back (i have no idea if he reached the same heights when he came back)

:phone:

D

Deleted member

Why hasn't anyone else come back? My statement still stands.

Even if both of us are throwing conjecture at each other with no proof, you know who's going to end up correct about this, and I do too.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Why hasn't anyone else come back? My statement still stands.

Even if both of us are throwing conjecture at each other with no proof, you know who's going to end up correct about this, and I do too.
But I gave you proof.. It's proof enough he can handle pretty much almost everybody except a handful of players.

D

Deleted member

2nd in the world =/= 3rd at a regional.

that tournament is also by far the best chu has played in the last 3 years.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Froggy... Chu was definitely still top 30...
You think so? I wouldn't be surprised if I could name 30 players who I'm confident are better than Chudat is.

Warhawk

Smash Lord
Are you serious? Chudat used to be top 3 in the country. After his break, I'm not sure he's even top 30 anymore.
Before he retired again Chu was probably top 20 to top 15. And while its not the end all example it still shows to some degree players can come back and have success if they can find the same commitment and drive they used to have, and clearly Chu still wasn't fully committed since he retired again but he was still able to find success. Just saying its possible to regain form again if you can find the drive again (which is hard with the way life takes people).

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
obv no one would be as good as when they quit. question is whether they could achieve the original skill level. i can think of many reasons why it wouldn't happen, but not why it couldn't

edit: it would be difficult ofc, but i think the commitment to coming back would be the biggest hurdle. some people may not be able to handle the grind of becoming good again, but if someone could i think they would have a strong chance of becoming as good (relatively) as they once were

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I think its very possible for players to come back and achieve the same success, if not more than before they retired.
It is, however, unlikely that said player will ever find the drive/commitment again.
Of course, whenever players take a break for say, 3 or 4 years, they are coming back to a very different game. Metagame changes, old strategies no longer work, and returning players need to play "catch up" to get back to the top, so yes, its very difficult, but its not impossible.
I think that if Chu had kept working at it, he could climb his way back up there.
And he was successful... he got 3rd at a regional, had a very close set with M2K, etc...
he proved that people can come back and be successful, he just didn't follow through with it.

Hax

Smash Champion
i put myself at exactly 9th. can't possibly see myself being higher or lower

(KK, shroomed, and javi are 6-8)

i don't think i would go any worse than 40-60 vs the 3 of them in a long series of games. at best, i'd win the majority

jman could easily play this game for a week and be #10 or even higher, but right now he's definitely not top 10. i wanna say wobbles, axe (i have huge faith in this guy despite a bad placing at apex), taj (if he's still as good as he was at gen 2), or plup (i'm being dead serious, this kid is gdlk) for #10. then s2j and lovage round out my top 15

Ryobeat

Smash Ace

i don't think i would go any worse than 40-60 vs the 3 of them in a long series of games. at best, i'd win the majority

jman could easily play this game for a week and be #10 or even higher, but right now he's definitely not top 10. i wanna say wobbles, axe (i have huge faith in this guy despite a bad placing at apex), taj (if he's still as good as he was at gen 2), or plup (i'm being dead serious, this kid is gdlk) for #10. then s2j and lovage round out my top 15
Hax, since you've played with DJ recently, where do you think he is right now?

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100

How about Wobbles and Lovage? Are you confident you are a better player than they are?

Hax

Smash Champion
i believe i'm better than oscar, no offense to him

wobbles idk

yggorf

Smash Rookie
Of course you're better than Wobbles. I don't think Wobbles even makes top 30, wobbles sucks so much and I know SO MUCH about this game. Hax, you'd be ******** to even THINK you're not better than Wobbles.

Chudat sucks also. He totally never became 2nd best player in the world years ago, and he will always suck balls. Why do ******** idiots on this forum praise him?

I IZ ZO ZMARTZ AND SO GUD AT ZMASH AND NO SO MUUUUCH

oh yeah this my alternate account, froggy backwards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom