• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who is tourney viable

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
"Bad idea X becomes a good idea because I do it" is not an argument. There are so many holes in that it's embarassing.

And, yes, people should use their main in a tourney. That is the entire reason people have mains.
Honestly, I think it's a good idea for people to decide who they're gonna main after a few tourneys, because I started out maining Ike. That did not ****ing work out well.

Heavenly Cloud

Smash Apprentice
Characters that I play as that some people may not see as viable as they are include Kirby and TLink. Both have a lot of potential imo and can win tourneys as well as any character that is currently ranked high or top "tier" on anokou's ranking list.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
^ i think both of them are viable, and i feel most think tlink is kirby some may have there doubts

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Characters that I play as that some people may not see as viable as they are include Kirby and TLink. Both have a lot of potential imo and can win tourneys as well as any character that is currently ranked high or top "tier" on anokou's ranking list.
After seeing and playing DRN in a tourney, who used Kirby, I think Kirby is viable. I think he won with Kirby too, and he was evenly matched when it came to the top three people, trust me, lol.

betterthanbonds9

Smash Ace
i think most ppl see kirby and tlink as viable, just because they have that potential. But they're in the zelda mode right now, not many people play as them, which just makes them underused, but still good.

-Just wait for the three i've mentioned to hit lucario syndrome, where there aren't many ppl using them, but they start annihilating everyone around them, making their awesomeness even more amazing.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
i think most ppl see kirby and tlink as viable, just because they have that potential. But they're in the zelda mode right now, not many people play as them, which just makes them underused, but still good.

-Just wait for the three i've mentioned to hit lucario syndrome, where there aren't many ppl using them, but they start annihilating everyone around them, making their awesomeness even more amazing.
This is a cycle that repeats.

Ice climbers and Jigglypuff were great characters in Melee but little to no one played them.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I think that may have had more to do with Jigg's color pallet and totally unique style, as well as the totally unique style of the Ice Climbers which made them unpopular, and not wild fluctuations in public opinion.

fallenangemon0

Smash Journeyman
I still think its way to early to tell for sure but then again its not like MK and Olimar ( who im betting my life WILL be top tier soon ) are drop to bottom or anything drastic like that. ATs and strats/combos will begin to blossom as time goes on.

Remember when Jigglypuff was bottom tier in Melee? Now shes Mid on the final tier list, and Id expect the same to happen to other characters.

betterthanbonds9

Smash Ace
I still think its way to early to tell for sure but then again its not like MK and Olimar ( who im betting my life WILL be top tier soon ) are drop to bottom or anything drastic like that. ATs and strats/combos will begin to blossom as time goes on.

Remember when Jigglypuff was bottom tier in Melee? Now shes Mid on the final tier list, and Id expect the same to happen to other characters.
MK, IS top tier atm, olimar is probably high tier. Hate to break it to ya, but sheik started off god tier and only went down to #3, MK, Snake, and DDD will always be near the top.

Also hate to break this to ya, but jiggs lowest tier ranking was #11. She might have had a semi bad rap for some of melee, but she was never low tier.

The biggest jump came from DK, who was at one point 5th lowest, ended up 11th lowest.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
CLEARLY
MK
Snake
DDD
Marth
ROB
G&W
Falco

PROBABLY
lucario
pika
diddy
TL
pit
Donkey Kong
Olimar
IC's
Wario

POSSIBLY
Fox
Wolf
Zamus
Lucas

DOUBT IT
Mario
Luigi
Ike
Sonic
Sheik
PT

VERY UNLIKELY
Ness
Bowser
Peach

NO...JUST NO
Ganon
CF
Jiggz
Yoshi
Link
Samus

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
really it depends on your definition of viable. if you want to be able to keep up with people, anyone from luigi up (on ankokus list), maybe with zamus and zelda thrown in there. if you want a good shot at winning, anyone from ice climbers up.

also, dk does not have much problems with falco, the only thing falco has on him is lasers, dk can escape the chaingrab at 17%

pockyD

Smash Legend
can someone show me some results that demonstrate a consistent amount of "success" from GimpyFish and his bowser? I don't buy this blanket "but...but...GIMPYFISH" argument in any form

ThaPhantom07

Smash Cadet
NNID
ThaPhantom07
The only characters I think aren't really viable are Yoshi, Ganondorf, and Pokemon Trainer. I've been to a couple tournamnets and all the characters not mentioned had at least one player who was pretty good with them.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
My viable chars are:
MK
Snake
DDD
Marth
ROB
G&W
Wario
IC's
Falco
Fox
lucario
Zelda
Zamus
pika
diddy
Sheik
TL
link?
yoshi?
Ike
Mario
Luigi
probably more, alert me if there are any glaring misses...
Ike is bad, Link is not that good, what the **** Yoshi?

You dont know what you are talking about dude. Dont make anymore lists.

Amide

Smash Lord
can someone show me some results that demonstrate a consistent amount of "success" from GimpyFish and his bowser? I don't buy this blanket "but...but...GIMPYFISH" argument in any form
You're right. But it is true that you can get good with a character other than MK or Snake. According to the ranking list, even Ness has won a tournament. That being said, some characters won't ever win tournaments.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
S: Snake, Meta Knight, King Dedede
A: Marth, Mr. Game & Watch, Lucario, ROB, Wario, Falco, Olimar
B: Donkey Kong, Wolf, Fox, Ice Climbers, Kirby, Pit
C: Peach, Ness, Diddy Kong, Toon Link, Pikachu, Luigi, Captain Falcon
D: Zelda, Zero Suit Samus, Samus, Bowser, Ike, Jigglypuff, Pokémon Trainer
E: Lucas, Sonic, Ganondorf, SheikZelda, Mario, Link
U: Sheik, Yoshi

Mario has less wins than Sonic, Ganondorf, Samus, Peach, Ike, Jigglypuff, Bowser, AND Captain Falcon?!? Are people really that afraid to use him because I definately know he's not that bad. From what I know, he only has a few atrocious matchups (King Dedede because of the infinite, Metaknight for obvious reasons, and Marth because he pretty much outranges everything he does) and is pretty much a middle of the road character as always. I personally would expect him to be in the C rank which isn't unrealistic at all.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
Clearly Viable
Snake
Metaknight
Mr. Game and Watch
Marth
Falco
R.O.B.
King Dedede

Probably Viable
Toon Link
Pit
Zelda
Olimar
Wolf
Wario
Pikachu
Ice Climbers
Donkey Kong
Kirby
Diddy Kong

Might be Viable
Fox
Lucario
Zero Suit Samus
Lucas

Stretching it
Luigi
Mario
Sheik
Pokemon Trainer
Ike
Sonic

Unlikely
Ness
Peach
Bowser

Not Viable
Link
Samus
Yoshi
Jigglypuff
Gannon
Captain Falcon

Browny

Smash Hater
now theres the biggest shift in general perceptions ive seen in a long time... almost everyone said lucas was better for the first like, 4 months.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
At this writing moment, you cannot go by most used/most well placed characters alone because of the underused character-factor. There are so many characters nobody plays, so it's only logical for some characters to be lower than they should be.

Look at the currently known metagame, at the options available and then the individual matchups. A character is viable if it, on paper, is able to win tournaments. In order to do that, it has to not be tons worse than the very best because then the very best are viable while the rest aren't because the others just have to work so much harder than the best.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Clearly Viable...
Olimar, Wario and Lucario all belong in clearly viable, IMO. Furthermore, Ness belongs in might be viable. The unlikely category may as well not exist and Peach an Bowser can go in stretching it, IMO.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Olimar, Wario and Lucario all belong in clearly viable, IMO. Furthermore, Ness belongs in might be viable. The unlikely category may as well not exist and Peach an Bowser can go in stretching it, IMO.
^This

Srsly, stop with the lists, and start some real ****ing conversations ****it.

betterthanbonds9

Smash Ace
Clearly Viable
Snake
Metaknight
Mr. Game and Watch
Marth
Falco
R.O.B.
King Dedede

Probably Viable
Toon Link
Pit
Zelda
Olimar
Wolf

Wario
Pikachu
Ice Climbers
Donkey Kong
Kirby
Diddy Kong

Might be Viable
Fox
Lucario
Zero Suit Samus
Lucas

Stretching it
Luigi
Mario
Sheik
Pokemon Trainer
Ike
Sonic

Unlikely
Ness
Peach
Bowser

Not Viable
Link
Samus
Yoshi
Jigglypuff
Gannon
Captain Falcon
red is :veryconfu

problem is that it's so early in the game's life that it's difficult to get a true grasp of the metagame that is evolving. Face it, we have no clue whether mario will actually remain the statistical piece of crap his tournament stats are showing, or if he actually possesses staying power and is merely untapped. Plus, individual matchups need to be developed and that's gonna take some time.

FlashGearz

Smash Apprentice
Clearly Viable
Snake
Metaknight
Mr. Game and Watch
Marth
Falco
R.O.B.
King Dedede
Olimar

Probably Viable
Toon Link
Pit
Zelda
Wolf
Wario
Pikachu
Diddy Kong

Might be Viable
Lucario
Ike
Zero Suit Samus
Ice Climbers
Donkey Kong

Ness
Peach
Lucas

Stretching it
Luigi
Kirby
Pokemon Trainer
Sonic
Fox

Unlikely
Bowser
Mario
Sheik

Not Viable
Link
Samus
Yoshi
Jigglypuff
Gannon
Captain Falcon

Fixed All of those people who need to go up, or down. Not in any order

infomon

Smash Scientist
now theres the biggest shift in general perceptions ive seen in a long time... almost everyone said lucas was better for the first like, 4 months.
I really hope this is the case! cuz Ness is actually cool and Lucas is sooooo dumb-looking and has a really bad haircut. Yes I'm being totally superficial here, but srsly.. Lucas wtf. I just can't use a character with such bad style.

Sorry for the useless post :)

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Ike is bad, Link is not that good, what the **** Yoshi?

You dont know what you are talking about dude. Dont make anymore lists.
read the frikin question marks next to the names you idiot, just FYI that means MAYBE.

I respect yore opinion, I respect everyones opinion here for the most part, and what I probably should have done is make like a definitely, probably, possibly, doubt it chart. I'll get to it now, sorry you got PO'ed at me but that's my opinion.:):)

betterthanbonds9

Smash Ace
Fixed All of those people who need to go up, or down. Not in any order
you do still realize that you have zelda up there, meanwhile well over half the cast that's "below" her by your rankings are doing better than she is in tournies.

it really doesn't matter because what you're trying to do is make a pseudo tier list there, and you are not in the BR so you might as well stop trying to "correct" the list.

and lucario is still too low :(

Top Bottom