• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who needs help with Combos, Damages, Advanced Tactics for Falco, etc.

Eggm

Smash Hero
Shiz, the only matchup I have problems with now is against really high level marths. I've been practicing up throw up airs and getting better at it which was part of your advice but its not enough, theres certain things I can't do and figure out. One is when your grabbed somewhat near the edge like.. under a mid platform and they do down throw and u get tossed torwards the edge I normally always die in this position.. if i tech roll behind i get regrabbed and then they down throw again, if i tech roll away they react and chase u and either down tilt u or rregrab f throw down tilt and then u die from any decent marth cause u fall off, and if i tech in place i get down tilted if i don't tech and DI away i can sometimes fall to the ledge but if i can't i generally lose a stock, what do i do in that situation? Also.. i can't seem to consisntly tech counter, you have any tricks to it like when you hear this u hit L or when you see this you hit L kinda thing? Thanks any other in general advice vs marth is appreciated too, once i learn this matchup i'll be a very solid competitor around here.

monkey and co.

Smash Apprentice
i created a thread on this but so far no one has said anything so maybe this time i mite get something

what should i do against a kirby!?

Brockman5

Smash Ace
I replied to yours monkey....

@Shiz.... I have simialr problems against Marths as does eggm...
except when i get hit off the edge It is really hard for me to make it back to the ledge....I get ledgeguarded....if i go high i get f smashed...if im too low i get f smashed or down tilted....or even countered any advice would be greatful...thanks...!

technomancer

Smash Champion
Brockman, have you tried mixing in your airdodge? Also, techhhhhhhhhhhhh that shiz for riz. My amazing Falco guide (ok I loled while typing that) has a pretty detailed list of stuff that you can do to recover, and explains candle-blowing-out etc. Probably the best way to recover against Marth is to firefox in from above. You can either go high or low (auto-grab on descent), and it's difficult to hit both.

clowsui

Smash Legend
hey falcos, need your opinion on this potential killing combo:

when you + opponent are at high percentages for a quick kill. or it can be just your opponent

dashdance - short retreating rshl - forward throw - nair or dair

DaShizWiz

Smash Champion
Ok people that asked about marth. My advice vs Marth is to grab upthrow to uair. But if thats not enough. You should just space them out with Nairs, Jabs and Dtilts. Once you get a shine on a marth, just do a full jump uair and run away shooting lasers too. And against a marth that trys to own your sidesteps and rolls. Just smash attack them when they're trying to do that.

Example, a marth is dashdancing near you which pressures you to sidestep. Instead of sidestepping. Get familiar with their style, and then own them when they're trying to own you. Just forward smash them out of the dashdance.

Vs Samus I don't have much advice. I am descent at the match-up. What I do is spam nairs and Dtilts and jabs spacing them out. Or just run up to them and shield. And most likely they'll Up B. So punish them for their mistakes.

vZakat

Half Genie
Example, a marth is dashdancing near you which pressures you to sidestep. Instead of sidestepping. Get familiar with their style, and then own them when they're trying to own you. Just forward smash them out of the dashdance..
And when you do this, yell out "**** yo mindgames, *****" or something of that nature.

purekorea

Smash Journeyman
Can Doc uthrow CT on falco? or am I just DIing wrong? I use full left or right DI. Should I be not DIing and jumping at a certain %?

purekorea

Smash Journeyman
yea FD the only problem but don't really mind FD just makes me less frustrated to know it's a true CG unlike shiek downthrow on marth.
Repryx-He likes to cape my lasers.

Another question:
Right now I'm practicing waveshining and wavedashing in general because it's the only thing I can't do proficiently. Is there anything else about falco I should learn?

So far I got down: RSHL, LHDL, aerial shine to bair, walkoff edge RDSHL, shuffing is a given, firefox stall.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
@ Caped lasers:
Like Repryx said, you have to space them better. Try using them at close range. If he capes, he'll eat Fsmash. See how he likes that. Close range lasers can be very effective against some characters, doc included.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
With the way the current tournament scene is, technical stuff just doesn't cut it. You need to learn to make your Falco play fluidly with good mindgames and whatnot. Everyone knows how to fight technical Falco's now, which is probably why Bombsoldier didn't do as well as some might have though in singles.

purekorea

Smash Journeyman
I know about the mental game blah blah blah which I totally agree on, but if I don't have technical weapons not gonna do much.

Such as waveshining... example: I have "awesome mindgames" and I'm able hit say a fox with a shine whenever I want... If I can't waveshine and he DIs... the combo ends all my "awesome mindgames" got me was one shine 8% damage? Where if I could waveshine I could potentially have a combo that does 50-70% damage maybe all the way to death.

Good mindgames, I feel, are developed when you play someone AFTER you've practiced technical stuff alone.

scotu- lol good idea. I usually just do an empty SH in his face and punish him after he capes. I spam lasers ALOT so everytime I SH he has to make a choice whether to try and cape or not.

Ixninjax

Smash Journeyman
i just mix in reverse shl with my forward ones against capers, powershielders and such. Approaching using using reverse shl looks funny, especially all the way across the stage.

clowsui

Smash Legend
REPOSTED FOR GREAT JUSTICE

hey falcos, need your opinion on this potential killing combo:

when you + opponent are at high percentages for a quick kill. or it can be just your opponent

dashdance - short retreating rshl - forward throw - nair or dair

clowsui

Smash Legend
missed that...>>

what i meant was can people di away from any part of this easily? what'll happen with floaty characters/fastfallers/etc.?

purekorea

Smash Journeyman
Umm... if you miss the grab it all becomes a moot point. There is really no set combo... for a high percent kill. You could easily say: At high damage what if I dash dance and SH a Bair at them.

If the bair hits- nice combo; If bair misses- pointless action

Don't know exactly what you consider "high" damage but by that time the foward throw might send them to far to follow with anything for floaties and fastfallers. Unless you catch them off guard. (to which I will point you back to Brockman5 post)

It's better not to have a set combo that you try and pull off instead just keep your options open and choose the best one. If he slips and gives you a free smash at high % take it don't go for your "dashdance - short retreating rshl - forward throw - nair or dair"

Sssurivad

Smash Apprentice
What are the best advanced techniques with Falco to use against people who don't use any advanced techniques (my friends :p)? Basically, what advanced techniques can I use to beat my friends, who aren't using any advanced techniques?

Characters they use: Ganon, CF, Fox, and Dr. Mario

purekorea

Smash Journeyman
Short Hop Lasers will make your friend's head explode =) except the Dr. mario if he knows how to cape then can't spam too much...

Khaly

Smash Cadet
You should really learn SHL...
Its almost essential for every Falco to learn how to SHL.

When you finally learn to SHL, move back and forth with it.
Nothing bothers my friends more than retreating SHLs >_>

Miharu

Smash Hero
Quick question.

At higher percentages on various characters, what is the best option to do after a utilt? Ingame, I notice that I usually have two options: either finish with a shine to bair, or dair and finish with a dsmash/fsmash tech-chase. So is it more worth it to chance with the dair, or just finish with the bair?

Secks.

Smash Ace
I'd give it just a simple bair... I mean if you can shine bair you might as well should just bair and set up for something else. Mainly depending on percent and the characters your playing. You don't have to be to flashy to get the job done. Normally at higher percents the character will be hit up further so just a quick bair is more effective in my opinion. Now if its a floaty character or a space animal I might try the dair to dsmash or fsmash. Just simply to do enough damage so they dont recover.

Jem.

Smash Master
Or, if you have a friend, it's funny to act like you're going to SHL by Short hop fast fall and do nothing. But, SHL is essential. Mix in forward SHLasers with a wavedash reverse SHL.

Frigid_Aztec

Smash Apprentice
Hey, I just started with Falco again and I gotta ask:

I can't seem to follow my opponents DI after I shine them. I know that waveshinning would be the best thing to do for it, but I'm terrible at waveshinning (I can do it with Fox though >.>)

Should I just keep working on the waveshine, or is there something else I could do?

Also I could use some good counter-pick stages for when I play against a Marth.

Any help is appreciated.

Giggidax

Smash Ace
Quick question.

At higher percentages on various characters, what is the best option to do after a utilt? Ingame, I notice that I usually have two options: either finish with a shine to bair, or dair and finish with a dsmash/fsmash tech-chase. So is it more worth it to chance with the dair, or just finish with the bair?
i would normally do shine>bair or just bair

but the most coolest option u have available is to jump up Uair, dont hit with the sweetspot of the uair hit him with the first hitbox, and then when the uair animation is done hit them with a dair or nair... that is, if ur opponent hasnt smash DI'd the initial Uair

lulz!

Leoneri

Smash Ace
I think its either shine turn wavedash backwards to ledge grab, or rshl to ledge grab.
Theres also the running / whatever method of getting off the stage right next to the ledge, shine, and firebird and you should turn around and before you launch while you are floating you grab the ledge as if you would were you doing the infinite edgehog.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
Is it possible to break out of a pillar with a shield canceled shine? I saw DaShizWiz doing it against forward....I doubt he was messing up the pillars so I'm inclined to believe that it is possible.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Is it possible to break out of a pillar with a shield canceled shine? I saw DaShizWiz doing it against forward....I doubt he was messing up the pillars so I'm inclined to believe that it is possible.
Easily. There's enough time to shield grab falco during his pilar, even if done correctly. you can also shieldsmash. Some character's nairs out of shield works.

Top Bottom