• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who were the Awesome, Joke and WTF characters for each series?

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings

Awesome
Captain Falcon: a lot of people were familiar with F-Zero and only knew the Captain as a racer. It was pretty awesome to see him challenge you. You literally knew nothing about him besides his name and the car he drives, then he shows up to battle.

Fox: like the Captain we only knew this guy as a pilot. Star Fox 64 was huge back then so this guy had lots of popularity. It was cool to see him out of his ship and fighting.

Joke
Jigglypuff: she was a running gag in the anime series. Everyone had a nice laugh when they saw her challenge you.

Yoshi: everyone welcomed him with open arms. And his egg lay was a nightmare for my brother and my friends when we were younger. What started with laughter every time I used the attack, ending with them throwing a fit and calling it a cheap move. Our young naive selves had no idea what an actual cheap move was back then.

WTF
Ness: not so much what, but more so who. Very few people knew what Earthbound was, so seeing this guy challenge you was a huge surprise. Growing up playing this game I literally knew nothing about this guy. He was the only one on the roster who I didn't know. And trying to control his wild up b as a young child didn't help me warm up to him.

Melee

Awesome
Mewtwo: everyone's favourite legendary Pokemon finally shows up after having to log many hours into the game. I'll never forget the moment when I first saw the silhouette challenger of one of my favourite Pokemon. Literally the coolest thing to enter the Smash bros series at the time.

Falco: Fox's badass friend decides to drop in. We knew him from Star Fox 64 to be a arrogant, do it yourself kind of guy who always had Fox's back at the end of the day.

Bowser: the classic Mario villain shows up, this time he is more feral than ever. I was amazed that Bowser made it in, and I was even more amazed at how he looked. He didn't look like the Bowser I knew from the Mario games, he looked much more rabbit and dangerous.

Ganondorf: I got chills when this challenger approached. I had only played Ocarina of Time so I still knew who he was. I thought Bowser was the most evil in the game until this guy showed up.

Joke
Pichu: like Jigglypuff, we all laughed when we saw this little guy. Clearly only made it in to promote the second generation of Pokemon. Sometimes I even preferred him to Pikachu. But the fact that he injured himself drove me insane.

Dr. Mario: such a random inclusion into the series. I knew Dr. Mario was a game, but I never played it. However I did prefer the Doc to Mario in this game.

WTF
Mr. Game & Watch: EVERYONE said what the **** to this one. We are all still scratching our heads.

Ice Climbers: never played their game so I had no idea who they were. But welcomed them with open arms. Still one of my favourites.

Marth & Roy: these were more who the ****. No one really played Fire Emblem back then, so I had no clue who these people were. Much like with Ness in 64. But I warmed up to them. Roy being my favourite.

Brawl

Awesome
Sonic: needs no explanation

Snake: needs no explanation

Metaknight: the masked warrior from the Kirby series makes his appearance. I got chills seeing him appear in the E3 reveal.

Pokemon Trainer: the fact that you can change between 3 different Pokemon was a mind boggling idea. It was incredible to see Charizard and Squirtle join the team.

Wolf: this dude had the best appearances in Star Fox Assault with his music. It was pretty awesome to see a Star Fox villain join the battle.

Joke
Wario: he made a humorous appearance in the E3 reveal so you knew from that moment he would be hilarious. It got worse when you actually saw how he moved around. And using farts in his arsenal doesn't help his case.

WTF
R.O.B.: didn't think they could top G&W in WTF but they found a way

Smash 4

Awesome
Mega Man: needs no explanation

Joke
Villager: moveset still cracks me up. Such an odd addition but works so well. Gonna have lots of fun with this guy. His serial killer memes don't help his cause.

WTF
Wii Fit Trainer: didn't think they could top R.O.B..... but they did... her initials can even be rearranged to WTF

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Marth and Roy can only be considered WTF outside of Japan at the time. However Fire Emblem was pretty popular in Japan, even back then, and I believe Japanese were even expecting thos 2. Same might be able to be said for Ness.

Also I disagree on Yoshi being a joke character. :L

•Col•

Smash Champion
The only actual joke character has been Pichu.

Sakurai said so himself. :3c

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
Pretty acurate.

Except Yoshi being a joke.

I am also disappoint at the lack of mentioning King Dedede and Olimar.

Well I got a good laugh out of his inclusion.
Not joke in the sense of he's a joke of a character, just a funny but welcomed inclusion.

I guess Olimar could be considered WTF
not to sure about King D3 though

maxdoss

Smash Rookie
I think that WFT is more of the Joke character and Villager as the WTF character. Everybody was laughing at the reveal of WFT and Villager looks creepy as heck.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The only actual joke character has been Pichu.

Sakurai said so himself. :3c
I'm rather certain that Jigglypuff in 64 was a joke character too, not only because it could kill you instantly by sleeping, but also because its Up-B plummeted itself into its doom while singing its last lullaby, while every other character's Up-B helped them get back up. It was taken a bit more seriously in Melee by actually making it a killer character.

I agree with the list, though I'd probably replace Wolf with Dedede in the awesome category because I'm biased towards anything Kirby and I was very dissapointed in another Fox semi-clone, and he had a pretty poor reception when the roster first leaked too. I also don't consider Yoshi a joke character myself.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Yoshi wasn't a joke! :c

Though I;m not gonna lie he was 64's punching bag, that was apparent when playing the multi-Yoshi battle section.

Parasol

Smash Cadet
Trust me when I say we haven't seen SSB4's WTF character just yet. Wii Fit Trainer is a case where her inclusion was understandable due to sales but initially unwanted. Villager is a case where his character was wanted but considered highly unlikely. A true WTF character will be one thrown out of the left field, which makes absolutely zero sense in all ways. To date, I'd have to say Mr. Game & Watch is the ultimate WTF character in Smash. After his inclusion, we sort of suspected someone like R.O.B. would show up for the next installment. He still makes me question his inclusion to this day. He's just so...what the ****?

Most Awesome: Mewtwo
Biggest Joke: Jigglypuff
What the ****: Mr. Game & Watch

Curmudgeon

Smash Ace
Well I got a good laugh out of his inclusion.
Not joke in the sense of he's a joke of a character, just a funny but welcomed inclusion.

I guess Olimar could be considered WTF
not to sure about King D3 though
What? Olimar is definitely awesome, he's the character that made me hype the most

Top Bottom