• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who would win in a fight? Melee CPUs or Brawl CPUs?

deletedmember

Smash Cadet
I am leaning towards Melee's CPUs being able to kick all holy **** out of Brawl's CPUs, but it seems like they are much smarter in Brawl, and very rarely kill themselves like they did in Melee. What do you think?

And on a side note, who do you find more irritating? Melee's CPUs or Brawl's? I personally feel like Brawl's CPUs are more fair (although still ridiculous with their ability to catch items and such) and therefore more fun to fight and less annoying, but Melee's CPUs really pissed me off to play against.

AlexX

Smash Ace
Brawl CPUs tend to edgeguard me a lot (unless I'm Ike, in which case they fire projectiles at me from the ledge). They also seem to be a lot harder to trick into fighting one another in free-for-all matches, and tend to prioritize me most of the time.

If nothing else, I can at least say that they can be more brutal than Melee CPUs ever were. As such, my vote goes to them.

Pikachu'sBlueWizardHat

Smash Apprentice
Brawl CPUs are a lot smarter.

They are programmed to sweetspot the ledges and not always use their up+B at the same time.
They avoid final smashes and such by staying on the revival platform for as long as possible.
They DON'T walk right into charging smash attacks.
They will actually try to edgeguard you.
And in general they're just less predictable.

I think it's obvious the Brawl CPUs are an improvement over Melee's.

Waggles

Smash Apprentice
Yup, its been said, brawl CPUs are much smarter than melee. They're also more aggressive than their melee counterparts. I don't remember a melee CPU ever shield grabbing me (although it's been a while), but brawl CPUs definitely punish clumsy attacks (especially out of a ledge attack).

Blazer

Smash Ace
Brawl's are leaps and bounds ahead of the Melee ones. Melees just kind of charged you and tried whatever to kill you, Brawl's almost seem to think. They generally have something ready for all situations, and play more like actually people do.

deletedmember

Smash Cadet
Yeah they certainly are much smarter, but I feel like every once in a while some stupid CPU would actually beat me in Melee for ridiculous computer reflex reasons. I never ever even come close to losing to a computer in Brawl though. Maybe I just didn't have enough experience with Melee computers though. I never played Melee unless I had someone to play with, but I'm so addicted to Brawl right now that I have to play even if no one's around.

Mikau et al

Smash Journeyman
Definitely Brawl's. These ones actually know when there are opportunities to kill you. They don't travel all the way across a stage just to get either a pokeball, hammer, or invisible thing (wait, do those even exist anymore? I haven't seen hardly any--same with food and only a few metal boxes. If only the same case were for the dragoon parts, hate those things) and ignore everything else--instead, they will travel across the stage to get everything, even stickers (do you not get credit for the sticker if they do that? That's just cruel of them). They pick up nearly every item possible and try to kill you with it. Even the lower level CPUs (I know this because I've beaten nearly every character's All-Star mode on easy just to make it go faster) can shield and dodge way better than most of melee's levels--even when they are one-hit kill attacks like FS's. I don't recall level one melee CPUs trying to attack me that much, either--I thought I could get away without shielding against these guys like in melee yet somehow there are instances where one or two characters will get in a good 50% on me--that never happened in melee. When they get a Dragoon or Snake gets a FS or something that you would expect a level 5 and below to have trouble aiming at their opponent, it's like I'm a cross hair-magnet. They can now jump over gaps when carrying a hammer. They purposefully try to screw you up in Warioware minigames (conniving little *******s). They now run away from your traps, like bombs and pokeballs. If they bump into a bumper once and aren't killed by it, they learn from it and avoid it when they return for you. And I did notice that in classic mode, they will attack you more than other CPU opponents--even if you run away from them, they will find you.

In fact, there are only three flaws that I seem to find in the weaker Brawl CPUs:

1: When they get a firecracker, they only shoot in one direction repeatedly--they can't seem to turn around. I hope this is different for higher level CPUs when I get back to traditional brawling.

2: They will still occasionally do some stupid things. Even stupider than Melee characters. I think it has more to do with not being programmed to avoid stage hazards. Like when spawning in the middle of the Eldin bridge gap, they'll just fall straight into it instead of making an easy jump to safety. Or they'll directly jump into a Dialga/Palkia hyper beam thingummy after it has been spewing for a second or two, even though I'm nowhere near it. One time, G&W jumped straight out the top of the screen when I was at the bottom. Another, Both Diddy and DK ran head-on into one of the fire things on 75m and immediately died. All the Mario characters and Falcon will gladly get run over by cars, Samus is attracted to the shiny lava, and R.O.B. loves turtles. BOOM! One hit, they're dead. And I just sit there celebrating my effortless victory with a taunt. And this isn't counting the numerous times the below happened with standard PCs like ZSS and Marth--in a way, it's stupider, because I'm not even hanging onto the edge and they still jump off into oblivion. I mean, these CPUs can sometimes be unbelievably stupid. It adds to the unpredictability, I guess.

3: The Alloys fall off the stage much more easily than the wire frames. I got fifteen kills in cruel brawl in less than three minutes and they were all SDs. Apparently repeatedly edge-grabbing makes them want to try it as well--only they can't do it.

In short, they are all around better CPUs--if you want a challenge. Only the Dragoon bit bugs me a little. A good sign of well programmed CPUs is their ability to mess up, because it's no fun facing an opponent who always wins. I'd have thought the lower level CPUs would at least have a little more inconsistency pulling off that item. If you want to kill them on your own merit, don't play on the more gimmicky fields--they will die unexpectedly.

R3v3nant

Smash Cadet
Brawl cpus would own melee cpus. In melee the cpus were pretty dumb and had easily recognizable patterns in their play. In brawl, they are more well-rounded and they also edge guard and meteor smash.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, Brawl's comps would win. They're programmed much better.

However, Melee players vs. Brawl players is a completely different story.

ScythedBlade

Smash Cadet
Yea ... totally ...

Brawl players would own Melee players in Brawl ...

And Melee players would own Brawl players in Melee ...

KrazyKaiju

Smash Cadet
While the Brawl CPU's are much smarter, they don't quite seem as...."perfect" as they used to be in Melee.

Here is what I mean by perfect:

1. They don't Power Shield EVERYTHING! Good luck getting a decent shot off on a Melee CPU. Unless you're a character with a fast gun, it's kind of difficult to get any shots in.
2. They don't have that perfect grab. They would quietly trot towards you, and just when you're about to strike, BAM! They hit you with a grab!
3. Remember Fox and Falco's A combo? The Melee CPU wouldn't quite finish it and would try to lock you up? There were a couple other characters with whom the CPU abused the A button, went in for a grab, etc.

Brawl CPU's seem to have lost this a bit, but that doesn't make them any less formidable. Just more..."human." (And isn't that what Sakurai said he'd do for online Brawls?) They definitely don't fall for the same old tricks. Brawl CPU's are absolutely a challenge (not to say that Melee's weren't - if you played their game, that is).

My vote is for Brawl CPU's.

The Dinkoman

Smash Lord
Even though brawl cpu are smarter but has anyone notice the fact that brawl characters are slower than melee characters(as in speed) so I'm leaning towards melee cpu's

Steck

Smash Journeyman
Brawl- the only really major pattern I see in them is

Brawl CPU- "Hmmm you are in the air over top of me. I wonder what i should do?Doge? No no that would be silly. I'll just charge a smash attack and...AHHHH THE PAIN!" *Dair*

AmigoOne

Smash Journeyman
Im convinced they take from players aswell. Ever since I played against a friend who used certain characters, when the CPUs are those characters they seem to pick up those tricks. I don't seem to recall Luigi CPU trying to consistently approach me with a shortup bair until I played that friend.

Sw0rd

Smash Cadet
Ya, defiantly brawl, some of the comps actually do smart things. Like Wario and his recovery as an example.

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
Reasons For Brawl CPU
-Recovery: Mario will use his cape to get back, Wario will use his bike, Jiggs, Kirby, Meta, Pit and Dedede will stall in front of the edge if you're charging a smash attack.
-Insta-Shielding: Brawl CPU's shield WAY more than Melee's.
-AI as a whole: If you have a Final Smash, the CPU will flee from you. They'll also grab lesser items (rather than just hammers and Pokeballs) and if you KO them with a Final Smash, they'll stay on the recovery platform until your Final Smash time runs out.

Nerd_of_the_Ages

Smash Rookie
Definitely brawl. The only reason melee CPUs are irritating are because they are ridiculously boring. Agreed, brawl CPUs dont walk in to a charged hit. Brawl CPUs are a huge improvement; more unpredictable, better dodging and DI, and so forth. The first time faced a CPU in brawl, I (blush) got hit by falcon punch twice, since I was expecting the same crap CPUs from melee.

Flake

Smash Cadet
yup
brawl
they fight more effectively now, dodging attacks and such while in melee they just rushed at you
level 9 ROBs have done stupid things on some of my custom stages though

Top Bottom