• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who would you want, Takamaru or Sukapon?

Speedwobbles223

Smash Apprentice
Sukapon is 100x more unique, I dont understand why people want/why we need another generic sword wielder. I really hope, though hes one of Sakyurai's favorites, that he doesnt get in. I hope that sukapon does over him.

Thoughts, opinions?

(The reason its Takamaru and Sukapon is because they are both Japan only characters, Sakurai even mentioned somethnigh about not having very many of them)

Machspeed

Smash Lord
We don't do anti-character threads. You should post your opinions on the Takamaru or Sukapon thread.

In before Youko.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Sukapon is 100x more unique, I dont understand why people want/why we need another generic sword wielder. I really hope, though hes one of Sakyurai's favorites, that he doesnt get in. I hope that sukapon does over him.

Thoughts, opinions?
Is he really even a generic sword fighter?

What do people have against sword users? It's getting annoying.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
Both Japan only. The roster isnt going to be filled with those. they are the closest things we have to competition over roster spots.
metaknight is a kirby semi-villan.

king dedede deconfirmed.

.........oh, wait.....

seriously, I fail to see the relationship here.

Is he really even a generic sword fighter?

What do people have against sword users? It's getting annoying.
what he said. also, takamaru, IS NOT a generic swordsman. do some research on the subject.

DarkSpidey13

Smash Ace
personally, i think Sukapon looks way more unique than Takamaru. i assume you're comparing them because they are both Japanese-only characters, but i don't see why both of them couldn't be in.

Speedwobbles223

Smash Apprentice
metaknight is a kirby semi-villan.

king dedede deconfirmed.

.........oh, wait.....

seriously, I fail to see the relationship here.
Because what you said had nothing to do with anything. Were talking about Japan only characters.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'd rather have Sukapon than Takamaru but I like both their games and characters

Speedwobbles223

Smash Apprentice
so?

believe it or not, 3 japan-only characters isn't that high a number.
When one of them doesnt bring much to the table at all, I would say it does. And considering this is a huge worldwide game, and that ~80% of people outside of Japan wont know either of them, 2 is plenty.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
When one of them doesnt bring much to the table at all, I would say it does. And considering this is a huge worldwide game, and that ~80% of people outside of Japan wont know either of them, 2 is plenty.
no it's not. its THREE. last time I checked, 3 is not a very high number. and considering that most people who care about earthbound already know who lucas is, that technically makes it 2.

Takamaru is a samurai. As in, he has a completely different playstyle than every other sword wielder. All of the other sword wielders are european-influenced so far.

not to mention lyn and goroh have been deconfirmed, meaning that takamaru is guarunteed to be unique.

by that same logic, sukapon is yet another fist-fighter.

takasuka 4 brawl.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
What, because he holds a sword?

That's such a weak argument. You will be crushed if you use it.

Speedwobbles223

Smash Apprentice
What, because he holds a sword?

That's such a weak argument. You will be crushed if you use it.
Whether you like it or not. sukapon is WAY more unique than Takamaru. Vesper said it perfectly, Retro characters are one thing, JAPAN ONLY retro characters are another. I do not see us getting both.

Seeing the likes of pokemon trainer, and olimar, I think we are going to have more characters whos playstyle VASTLY differs from others.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
Whether you like it or not. sukapon is WAY more unique than Takamaru. Vesper said it perfectly, Retro characters are one thing, JAPAN ONLY retro characters are another. I do not see us getting both.

Seeing the likes of pokemon trainer, and olimar, I think we are going to have more characters whos playstyle VASTLY differs from others.
then tell me, how is he more unique than takamaru? because he has no limbs?

Takamaru brings plenty of new things to the table, just as much, if not more, than sukapon.

and we can get more than 2 japan-only retros. especially if they are 2 highly demanded characters.

Speedwobbles223

Smash Apprentice
Take a look at this absolutely "Thrilling" moveset in the Takamaru thread. (Ill post the sukapon one when too)

A: Horizontal Swordswipe
A, A: Horizontal Swipe, Back swipe (like a graceful swinging motion)
> A: Stab
v A: Low Swipe (ducks and swipes)
^ A: Overhead Arch
Smash > A: Strong Downwards Slash, Hard Horizonal Slice (two-step)
Smash ^ A: Rising Katana (swings his katana, edge up, into the air, blade straight [think like a reverse of Mewtwo's Forward Smash with a Beam Sword, only it starts higher in the air])
Smash v A: Swordclear (swings around his body, low)
Dash A: Running Downwards Slice

Air A: Horizontal Cut
> A: Swordslam (hits with the base of the blade's handle, similar to Peach's Forward Air A)
< A: Elbow Shove (throws back his elbow)
^ A: Big Arch Cut (swings his katana up over his head, in a very large arch)
V A: Wooden Sandals (stomps down with his wooden sandals, METEOR attack)

Grab: Replaces his katana and swings out his arms
A: Knee
Forward: Holds them over his head and tosses them forwards. Weak.
Back: Spins on his heels and slices them with his katana. Mid-strong.
Up: Throws them up and repeatedly slices at them, the last slash being the strongest. Strong.
Down: Slams them down and cuts them a few times.

Machspeed

Smash Lord
I'd prefer to see Sukapon, just for the craziness and originality/potential I see in him; however Takamaru does look interesting also.

Kind of a whichever-character-I-don't-care thing to me.

Speedwobbles223

Smash Apprentice
ONe of the Sukapon movesets. If you watch original gameplay from JMF you will really really see the potential

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC5TBT8pTcE

B: Tondeker--Otherwise known as "Bum Head" (by me ). Sukapon leans forwards all the way, throwing out another copy of his head with a O.O face. It moves slowly, but travels about as long as Luigi's Fireball, dealing surprisingly good damage with light knockback.

Forward B: Konaniran--Pulls back his head and throws it forwards, knocking back opponents as it travels. Goes about the distance of a Falco Phantasm, then immediately flies back to his body. If the direction the head flew is held (forwards), then the head stays in place, and Sukapon's body slides towards it. Great for recovering onto platforms.

Up B: Soaring Skapon--The only original move in the bunch. Sukapon curls into a tight ball and leaps upwards a bit, then shoots out his four limbs in a full spread, knocking back anybody near him. He remains like that for a split second, almost looking like he's soaring, then begins to fall. If used in the air, he gets more height off the initial jump. Also, if his hands happen to touch the ledge, he'll be pulled towards it. One of the perks of having hands you can shoot off from your body, huh?

Down B: Skapon Roll--Skapon pulls his limbs closer to his body and does a fast cartwheel forwards, dealing damage to whoever he runs into and then knocking them away as he bounces off (basically like Rollout). You keep tapping B to move a little faster, and if used in the air goes diagonally down, like Rollout, but Sukapon executes the attack the second you hit Down and B. Sukapon cannot turn using this attack; he only goes the distance once, and then rolls out of the attack. However, interestingly, he CAN jump, and still executes the attack while jumping. If he goes over an edge, OH WELL XD

Taunt: Does his dance he always does in game

Entrance: Dances a bit, his head falls, and he picks it back up and screws it on. Just like his entrance in JMF.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
Take a look at this absolutely "Thrilling" moveset in the Takamaru thread. (Ill post the sukapon one when too)

A: Horizontal Swordswipe
A, A: Horizontal Swipe, Back swipe (like a graceful swinging motion)
> A: Stab
v A: Low Swipe (ducks and swipes)
^ A: Overhead Arch
Smash > A: Strong Downwards Slash, Hard Horizonal Slice (two-step)
Smash ^ A: Rising Katana (swings his katana, edge up, into the air, blade straight [think like a reverse of Mewtwo's Forward Smash with a Beam Sword, only it starts higher in the air])
Smash v A: Swordclear (swings around his body, low)
Dash A: Running Downwards Slice

Air A: Horizontal Cut
> A: Swordslam (hits with the base of the blade's handle, similar to Peach's Forward Air A)
< A: Elbow Shove (throws back his elbow)
^ A: Big Arch Cut (swings his katana up over his head, in a very large arch)
V A: Wooden Sandals (stomps down with his wooden sandals, METEOR attack)

Grab: Replaces his katana and swings out his arms
A: Knee
Forward: Holds them over his head and tosses them forwards. Weak.
Back: Spins on his heels and slices them with his katana. Mid-strong.
Up: Throws them up and repeatedly slices at them, the last slash being the strongest. Strong.
Down: Slams them down and cuts them a few times.
and look at this non-outdated, much better moveset.

Takamaru
From the Japanese-only game, Nazo no Murasame-jō (Mystery of Murasame Castle) comes the samurai Takamaru. Takamaru gives SSBB a unique and traditional field with his honor code. Easily one of the fastest swordsman, his attacks depend on speed and speed alone. This however allows Takamaru to sneak in more attacks then usual with his speed. Most of his attacks depend on almost invisible sword attacks or sneak attacks that allows you to distance yourself from your opponent but be on them in an instant.

Stage: Murasame Castle

Moveset:
A, A, A = Slice, Slash, Circle Moon
Delivers two sword attacks and then a spinning sword attack.
Side A = Sonic Slash
Steps forward and delivers a very fast slash attack.
Down A = Leg Slash
Performs a very fast slash attack at the legs.
Up A = Crescent Moon
Produces a small crescent slash over his head.
Air A = Kick
Kicks the opponent while in the air.
Air Side A = Triangle Line
Performs a very quick triangle movement with his sword.
Air Down A = Downward Spiral
Thrusts his sword downwards which is engulfed in a spiral-like energy.
Air Up A – Crescent Charge
Attacks the opponent with a straight head on charge.
Running A = Instant Death
Disappears and then reappears in front of the opponent, attacking with a quick sword attack.
Side Smash = Hyper Thrust
Reels back and thrusts his sword forward; producing a power piercing attack.
Down Smash = Descending Oblivion
Reels back and descends in a circle while slicing with 3 hits.
Up Smash = Crescent Ascension
Reels back and performs a Crescent Moon but energy is shot from Takamaru upwards in a shape of a crescent.

B = Thousand Blades
Hold down B for Takamaru to perform many extremely fast sword attacks.
Side B = Flash
A flash lights up the screen in which Takamaru will appear behind the closest opponent allowing a combo. No lag time.
Down B = Takamaru disappears in a puff of smoke only to appear above the opponent. He then releases a energy wielding spiral sword attack downwards. It has some lag time though.
Up B= Sword Ascension
Takamaru places his sword under his foot, jumps up on the handle, grabs the sword and performs a lighting quick sword attack.
Grab =
A = Knee (knees the opponent opponent)
Front Throw = Holds the opponent, delivers many quick slice attacks and throws them out.
Back Throw = Tosses the opponent backwards and does several slice attacks as they fall.
Up Throw = Throws the opponent up and then lands on Takamaru’s fist.
Down Throw = Grabs the opponent, flips them over onto the ground, and then kicks them away.

Final Smash: Heaven Sword- Takamaru dashes forward, the screen goes dark for a second save for sakura blossoms floating on the screen. Then there is the sound of hits being taken. It goes back to the normal screen, the characters are left standing. However, one of them takes a lot of damage. Takamaru then appears behind that opponent and performs a quick high damage attack to finish it off.

Kirby Hat: Takamaru's blue hair and ponytail.
Stage Entrance: A puff of smoke explodes and Takamaru appears and bows.
Taunt: Says "Chotto mattedegozaru*", ties his sandals, and then stands back up.
Victory Pose: (1) Takes his sword, slices a bit, and then sheathes it back.
(2) Notices his sandal is untied, ties it, and then bows.
(3) Is startled, looks around, and dissapears in a puff of smoke.
Alternate Costumes: Blue livery coat, purple kimono, and brown hakama. Green livery coat, white kimono, and red-brown hakama. Purple livery coat, blue kimono, and black hakama.

* = I am not a expert at old fashioned polite Japanese but I do believe ~de gozarou is the correct term after such things like kudasai and such.
[/thread]

Machete

Smash Ace
Sukapon looks better, IMO. Takamaru would be cool if Sakurai improves his dessign (like Pit's). If not, I'd prefer to see Sukapon. Although I don't support a Japan-only retro character.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
And sukapon is STILL more unique.

I see lots of slashing and rehashed moves. Still not impressed.
once again, do I need to spell it out for you?

Takamaru is a SAMURAI. he's already unique as he is. not to mention he is also capable of magic and ninja techniques, such as invisibilty, fireballs, and lightning bolts. but heck, he woudn't even need any of that to be unique, as he already takes up a unique role in being a samurai.

Ryudo_Sama

Smash Ace
Well, Swordsmen seem to be getting the boot and put into ATs, I worry for Takamaru's future. Anyways, I guess I will side with Sukapon.

Speedwobbles223

Smash Apprentice
once again, do I need to spell it out for you?

Takamaru is a SAMURAI. he's already unique as he is. not to mention he is also capable of magic and ninja techniques, such as invisibilty, fireballs, and lightning bolts. but heck, he woudn't even need any of that to be unique, as he already takes up a unique role in being a samurai.
Ninja Techniques: Sheik [Check]
Invisibility: We already have an item that does that. Only thing you have going for you, even then how much could that be used.
Lightning bolts: Pikachu [Check]
Fireballs: Mario [Check]

tirkaro

Smash Champion
Invisibility: We already have an item that does that. Only thing you have going for you, even then how much could that be used.
but have we seen them all in one character? eh, no. so that logic fails.

and also:

punches[check]
kicks[check]
cartwheels[check]
throwing[check]

mmhmm.

I swear this thread will be resposible for my eventual love-to-hatred for sukapon.

ZenJestr

Smash Lord
NNID
ZenJestr
3DS FC
4897-6268-7794
Takamaru is a samurai who can throw kunais/spinning blades and shoot fire from his fingertips, he can summon a lightning bolt to smite pplz, go invisible for a while and since all Samurais know Judo that can be incorporated in his moveset...swordswipes arent the only thing a sword user can use...just because Marth only uses generic half-moon swipes doesnt mean everyone will...

Sukapon is a dancing robot takes advantage of its separated limbs to fight...

I support both...but if I had to pick, I would let my coin decide....also for people who just side with Sukapwn just because he is Rayman but a shizload better, dont dismiss Takamaru just because he is wielding a sword....I bet if Taka was wielding a dildo you would be like olololol!!!!11one nosword=original movesetz!!!11

ZenJestr

Smash Lord
NNID
ZenJestr
3DS FC
4897-6268-7794
I dunno...apparantly ppl hate more than one of a certain type of character unless they have a positive bias towards it...

D

Deleted member

But they're not one character, are they?

Hammers: Ice Climbers [Check]
Oh wait, why the f*ck is Dedede there?!

Top Bottom