• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who would you want to run the next Smash if there is one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
Since Sakurai may or may not be directing the next game, many people seem to be rejoicing, as this could mean we could get a "better" developer.

Ok...that's all fine and dandy...

but who?

If you list a specific person, list their accomplishments as a developer so others may have a chance to give their two cents.

xler

Smash Rookie
I'm not going to name a single person or anything but I think Smash would be better off if Blizzard developed #4 instead of its current developers.

xler

Smash Rookie
I don't think experience in a particular field would be an issue for Blizzard. (FYI they made Rock and Roll Racing and The Lost Vikings for SNES, one of my favorite SNES games).

For example, when Blizzard delved into the MMORPG market for the first time, they absolutely owned the market.

I guess you can call me a Blizzard "fanboi", but I've been a faithful fan of theirs since I was 6 years old (18 now). They've never let me down.

pockyD

Smash Legend
i want the guy who won american gladiators

seriously what's the point of this topic? as if people know more than 2 game designers off the top of their head or know how to accurately judge their credentials

plus smash is pretty much a one-of-a-kind game - how can you translate someone's accomplishments in what is most likely an unrelated field into how well they'd develop a smash-type game?

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Sakurai/noone.

I honestly believe Nintendo would make the characters Miis, make it balanced as hell (i.e. last place Blue Shell as every item) and remove Olimar, Ness, Marth, Pit etc in favour of Waluigi, Daisy, Dry Bones, Koopa Troopa, Goomba, Birdo, Bowser Jr, Kremling, Lakitu etc.

Sakurai knows what the fans want, Nintendo don't :p

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Sakurai/noone.

I honestly believe Nintendo would make the characters Miis, make it balanced as hell (i.e. last place Blue Shell as every item) and remove Olimar, Ness, Marth, Pit etc in favour of Waluigi, Daisy, Dry Bones, Koopa Troopa, Goomba, Birdo, Bowser Jr, Kremling, Lakitu etc.

EDIT: Arg, double post glitch.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
How in the bloody hell did I forget about the lost frickin' vikings?!

That IS the game where you alternate through three vikings correct? My memory is so foggy.

I have always liked Blizzard as well, but it still would feel awkward having after the wii logo appear and the nintendo logo appear, a giant "blizzard" logo.

Of course, I am not one to cut out the knees of a goliath in video game developing. Starcraft is still one of my favorite games, it is just that mentality of a major pc gaming company developing one of the largest series for Nintendo.

:034:

Smash Hero
ME

Seriously, though, Sakurai should do it. I just feel that nobody else but him could, I just also think he needs an even better team of developers and a part solely working on ideas and how to improve various game modes.

Kye L

Smash Apprentice
At this point, I can't think of a brand new, significant, good addition to the series (emphasis on good; I'm looking at the people suggesting a create-a-character mode, which would add nothing to gameplay and leave us with characters that would inevitably not be as high-quality as "official" ones - not to mention it could lead to the devs half-assing on the roster thinking the CAC would make up for it), so I don't know what Sakurai could bring to the table at this point. For the original, he obviously designed the unique and fresh gameplay. For Melee, he changed and added mounds of mechanics, and he basically made it fulfill the huge potential SSB had (gameplay-wise). Then in Brawl he added the single-player he had been hoping to put in Melee (fortunately Miyamoto convinced him that at the time, focusing on multiplayer was a better idea...smart man), and the online mode Iwata had been planning on basing the third iteration of Brawl around before Sakurai came with his ideas for new things (makes you wonder, just how robust of an online mode would've "Iwata's Smash" have? Pretty robust I would think, considering he was going to make a "Melee 2.0" centered around it...heheh, funny how that worked out), but he didn't really add much to gameplay.

So we have a multiplayer that is pretty much perfect, and a singleplayer that pretty much surpassed all expectations of what a story mode would be like in a fighting game (there's of course lots of improvements that could be done, and lots of people expected a lot more from SSE simply because Smash is such a big, high-quality series and people tend to get a little too excited about it)...all the lovely extras are there, online mode, stage creator, an amazing amount of collectibles, a great soundtrack that encompasses much of, if not most of Nintendo's history...crossovers not only between series, but between companies...

At this point, to me, it seems like the series has gotten to the point where it will mostly be about refinement, and rejuvenating (or putting spins on) the old stuff. There's improving all the multiplayer options and settings and modes. There's improving the online service. There's improving the flexibility of the Stage Builder. And then there's renewing all the old stuff; making a new singleplayer bout, more and new collectibles, remaking old and choosing new characters...and of course the most important thing of all, redesigning gameplay mechanics.

Sakurai would probably call doing this just "adding meat" to the game (probably with the exception of the last detail), but I think many would agree with me when I say that with a concept as good as Smash, that's a good thing. This is just one of the views of his I've heard of lately and disagreed with...there's also his thoughts on competetivity. What things make for a good game in some ways. He's a brilliant designer when it comes to concepts, but I don't think he's necessary for deciding on the "meat" and some of his ideas just aren't that great.

Oh, and I remember when Sakurai mentioned he was hiring a team who had played thousands of hours of Smash...I remember seeing how people thought that this meant they knew everything about the game, and that that could only mean well for the intricacies of Smash. I'm sure it did, but it went to waste because Sakurai's ideas come first.

...I want to say Iwata, because he probably wouldn't mind fattening the game up because that definitely ensures sales. But then again, so does accessibility on some level, so maybe he'd agree with Sakurai's ideas about not alienating players (y'know, except for competetive ones). That just seems to be how Nintendo plays nowadays.

So I guess I'd want the game to go to a 2nd-party developer. Preferrably back to HAL Labs. They created the game to begin with (they even own part of the franchise, right?), they're obviously familiar with it and hopefully they realize that it's much easier and better to make Smash welcoming for both casuals and competetive players than it is to fashion it just for the former (Melee turned out the way it did when they made it despite Sakurai running about with his equally awesome and silly ideas, right? ...although I'm starting to think whatever competetive potential Melee had was a fluke at this point, especially with Sakurai eliminating most of the exact things that allowed for it in Brawl).

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
Sakurai/noone.

EDIT: Arg, double post glitch.
QFT.
Ninty would turn it into Smash bros: Mario party.

</3

NintendoWarrior

Smash Lord
Same person who's running it now. This game is perfect and I wouldn't change a thing about it. Brawl is the best game of the series.

Kye L

Smash Apprentice
I don't think anyone could ruin Smash. At least not anyone...un-stupid enough to get into the position where they're directing a iteration of Smash. If they did get into that position, they'd probably realize that the easiest way to make console Smash "better" is by adding popular, high-quality characters and stages and not removing characters (not at this point, anyways; all the characters in Brawl are very much worth keeping).

And Sakurai isn't the only one who knows what characters are popular and high-quality. Plenty of GameFAQs posters could point those out before Sakurai even revealed they were playable. Hell, I did it for plenty of them. Of course, there are those who would point out crappy, lame, unnecessary characters, but...those people wouldn't get into the position where they'd be directing the next iteration of Smash, would they?

XACE-K

Smash Master
Since I can't then I would have to say Sakurai. Even thought he made mistakes in the past, if anybody else made it, it wouldn't feel like Smash Bros.

I_R_Hungry

Smash Journeyman
"We're looking forward to introducing our own unique style to the gaming world with Gravitronix," said lead game designer Jesse Lowther. "We hope to offer a fun and accessible gaming experience which is easy to learn but a challenge to master, including a robust multiplayer mode with enough hidden depth to keep even the most hardcore of players struggling to outdo each other. The way we see it, if you don't swear when you lose to another player, we haven't done our job."
lol awesome

volbound1700

Smash Master
Midway the creators of Mortal Kombat. Could you see it Smash Brothers 4 with Blood Code...

After you win the match there are finishing moves where Mario pulls out a giant fireball and roasts you.

Link takes out his sword and cuts your head off while blood shoots out everywhere.

Kirby sucks you up and digests you with bones coming out his back.

DeDeDe crushes you with his hammer and splatters body parts everywhere.

Pikachu electrifies you like Raiden did in the first one until you explode.

You don't want to see what Sonic's spin attack does...

LOL

SSJ4Kazuki

Smash Champion
Personally, you know what I'd like?

The professional smash tournament scene
to design the core "fighting game", and Sakurai's team to choose/design the characters and items.

Forget Me Not

Smash Apprentice
Grasshopper Manufacture and Suda51. I'm sure they would make an original twist on the series.

Sir_Psycho

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't want to see a company like Blizz or Valve make the game as it would take 20 years to see Smash Bros 4. Sakurai did a good job, and I think the game should be in his hands again or another developer from HAL.

mas369

Smash Apprentice
There is only one person I think could truly make the next Smash game what it needs to be, and that person is

Me.

I would have a 6-month period after I was hiered, but before I started the game, in which I would take ideas for the ENTIRE GAME (not just the roster) from the fans (and NOT completely ignore them like Sakurai did), and run my own ideas for the game across to the fans and see what they think of them by using this and many other gaming fourms, along with recruit a team of 30 of the top pro players to help me test the game and suggest how I would tweak it. I would design the game with the competitive community as the main focus, but try not to alienate the casuals as well. I would spend 2-4 years fine tuning and prefecting it until I felt I had a game that truly advanced what Melee or Brawl (the fans would have a say in what game I would use as my base) did. The only bad thing about my ideas is that I would probaly be too lazy to exicute them

I am not joking about my response. I seriously believe this.

antimatter

Smash Lord
Shigeru Miyamoto should do the next one. he'd make the roster fair and balanced, playstyle wise and character wise.

Tofu Beast

Smash Ace
blizzard? suda 51?
No.

The develepor has to be Nintendo. After all, it is a Nintendo game. A third party would not be able to do it due to copyright stuff.........

xler

Smash Rookie
blizzard? suda 51?
No.

The develepor has to be Nintendo. After all, it is a Nintendo game. A third party would not be able to do it due to copyright stuff.........
Obviously. It's a hypothetical question.

Tofu Beast

Smash Ace
Like Fox News

Seriously, why is almost every answer so far Sakurai or Miyamoto. The people who said things like Blizzard or Suda 51 are at least trying.

There would be about 3 characters in smash bros if it wasn't for Miyamoto. He developed almost every Nintendo character and is one of the best developers ever.

Patinator

Smash Champion
Well, except for maybe me... Or Captain Falcon's Knee (OMG!)...

Miyamoto/Iwata. Or how about them, AND Sakurai? ...And maybe Reggie Fils-Aimes.

Any third party would RUIN the game. It'd just turn into another Mortal Krud, probably, instead of being the different, ringout-based Smash we know and love. :)

Arteen

Smash Lord
A company like Bungie would be fantastic.

Think about it:
-They actually listen and interact a lot with their fans
-They want to maintain the game's competitiveness and don't try to inhibit it
-They want to maintain the game's balance (Halo 2 had a notably major update that rebalanced melee and grenade damage, among other aspects)
-They value the competitive aspect of their game (Halo 3 will have an official MLG playlist integrated within the game, even)
-They know how to make a game both casually and competitively fun (they have a silly Rocket Race playlist too, along with both ranked and unranked playlists)
-Enjoyable, replayable up-to-4-player co-op campaign (although I can't guarantee a more comprehensible plot)
-Screenshots and film clips (of any length!) uploadable to the game's website
-Ability to share screenshots, film clips, and stages online
-More robust stage creator and the ability to play custom stages online
-Downloadable content (and all the content eventually becomes free)
-Robust online (I could list a thousand things here, like voice chat, wide variety of gametypes instead of a single one [2-minute, all-items, 4-player, FFA], etc)
-They actually listen and interact a lot with their fans

Seriously, though, Sakurai should do it. I just feel that nobody else but him could, I just also think he needs an even better team of developers and a part solely working on ideas and how to improve various game modes.
What he needs is take take into consideration more input from others. Personally, I would want someone else in charge, but Sakurai would still have a lot of input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom