• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who's disappointed with input lag?

Mario77

Smash Apprentice
No lag on my HDTV.
You probably ARE lagging and just don't realize it. I was playin on my freinds new HDTV, and I immediately noticed it was lagging to were I couldn't tech or shield at the last moment possible.

Of course he doesn't play Smash as much as me, so he didn't even think the game was lagging, but I could easily notice it. Even the hand to choose my character was lagging.

SN3S

Smash Apprentice
You probably ARE lagging and just don't realize it. I was playin on my freinds new HDTV, and I immediately noticed it was lagging to were I couldn't tech or shield at the last moment possible.

Of course he doesn't play Smash as much as me, so he didn't even think the game was lagging, but I could easily notice it. Even the hand to choose my character was lagging.
Hmm, I've got a 72" Plasma HD-TV, but I've never noticed any lag with melee and Guilty Gear Accent Core. Maybe it's just me :laugh:

But I do know some games lag (E.G. Beatmania :/)

And my friend has a widescreen CRT that we play MvC2 on and I've never noticed any lag, but I've yet to try it on my TV...

Maybe you could get a Gamebridge and play it on your PC if it starts lagging too much?

Igneous42

Smash Ace
I have one of those a sharp aquos TV's and it works great with Melee. It's a 32' LCD and we even tested it with guitar hero 0 lag. I have component cables for it so it works great.

But I've heard some HDTVs have huge problems.

entrapment

Smash Apprentice
Not everybody had an HDTV........and if thats the case....the Wii would have been made for them but sadly normal people don't have time for such awesome output. Also I believe a group from egadget did a story on all lag from projectors to HDTV and found out some funny things you should go look up. You will be shocked to found out the lag time....and oddly amused.

SockNinja

Smash Journeyman
Hmm, I've got a 72" Plasma HD-TV, but I've never noticed any lag with melee and Guilty Gear Accent Core. Maybe it's just me :laugh:

And my friend has a widescreen CRT that we play MvC2 on and I've never noticed any lag, but I've yet to try it on my TV...

Maybe you could get a Gamebridge and play it on your PC if it starts lagging too much?
"some games lag" means they all lag and you only notice it on some of them.

it just so happens that on a game based on rhythm and precise timing you notice it more.

Sculelos

Smash Journeyman
I won't be. Melee doesn't lag at all on my tv. But then again I use a 30" Widescreen crt with 480i/480p/1080i video modes... thats why I bought the crt was so I wouldn't lag with any Wii games. Only costed me 350$ a year ago. They are hard to find now though, if you need a lcd buy one with 8ms or less lag and use component cables, then you won't even notice the difference.

Monshou_no_Nazo

Smash Journeyman
Do you think a good solution would be to go to a thrift store and/or flea market and get a standard CRT television for dirt cheap?

SU_Remo

Remo Knows
I play Melee on a new Sharp Aquos 46" LCD HDTV. I haven't noticed any lag with Melee, or Guitar Hero for that matter. The TV has a Game Mode that is supposed to help with lag on video games. I think Brawl will be fine for me. (And there was a nice, informative thread on here about HDTV information and how to fix problems. That would help people, too.)

Edit: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=130287 <- The thread I mentioned.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
There is no such thing as an input lag. All flat screens just lag to some degree because of the technology behind them.

What you do will happen in realtime on the Wii without lag. You just won't see it happening on your HDTV before many frames after it's actually happened.

Mario77

Smash Apprentice

Playing Smash on a PC monitor is a joke.

Impact009

Smash Journeyman
Solution: Buy a better HDTV.

Sorry.
Ironically for most people who currently own a HDTV and have this problem, "better" means buying a HDTV with a lower native resolution.

There is no such thing as an input lag. All flat screens just lag to some degree because of the technology behind them.

What you do will happen in realtime on the Wii without lag. You just won't see it happening on your HDTV before many frames after it's actually happened.
Upscaling signals happens at the HDTV's input level, and that's where the lag happens. Olevia and Vizio are notorious for having the worst input lag out of all HDTVs. Not all flatscreen TVs have input lag. All flat screen TVs have a response time yes, but that's a ghosting issue that's really only seen on plasmas.

So it laggs even if you play with component cables and on 480p? Melee always lagged a bit on my HDTV. Not much but it made a difference. I thought the 480p support on Brawl would solve the problem. Apparently I was wrong. Also, how does a VGA box solve the problem? Is an upscaled VGA signal not laggy, or does the box upscale to a HD res through VGA at a really good speed? Also does it get really hot because of this?

BTW, I think the US version of Melee had 480p but the European version didn't.

Also I'm totally pissed off with the lack of HD support on the Wii. My PS3 looks great on my TV.
A VGA box upscales a 240p/480i signal to 480p with no lag. So yeah, you're upscaling to a HD signal without lag. When a HDTV upscales a 480i signal, what we see is trailing behind by about 6 FPS, sometimes up to 12. When upscaling from a 480p signal, it's only about 1 or 2 FPS, so it's not that bad. The most strenuous process of upscaling for a HDTV is converting an interlaced signal to a progressive signal. You can see how beneficial a VGA Box is here. It doesn't output too much heat either (the ones that I prefer anyway).

Well yes, the Gamecube can output in 480p. The problem here is that the more recent model Gamecubes don't have a port for component cables. Composite cables carry interlaced signals, so it's great that the Wii is finally around.

HDTV manufacturers were supposed to implement some sort of new technology to upscale 480p signals without lag two years ago, but as you can see they're late on their promise.

Last I checked from Samsung, they said their game mode decreases input lag by up to 30%. That still kind of sucks depending on your TV.

Hell, the XBox, a previous generation console, supported up to 720p. I guess Nintendo just trails behind that badly. There was that crap with N64 cartridges, then online play, and now signal output.

I personally play all of my games on a CRT, but all of my friends have HDTVs so...that sucks haha.

So the easiest solution is to play on a CRT, or use component cables. If only everybody had a component cable... Great for your own home, but what about other people's houses? It's a pain to get behind those TVs. :p

What about those who play other games like Guitar Hero or Melty Blood? I know a lot of you don't solely play Smash. Luckily Guitar Hero II and III support 480p. For those who play 480i games, play on a PS3 (backwards compatibility issues), use a VGA box, use VGA cables (Dreamcast only), and use Game Mode.

Impact009

Smash Journeyman
So the real solution is use component cables? Or am I missing something?
Yeah. You'll either have no lag, or 2 frames at most (from my experience). Carry one with you if you plan to play Smash. The last thing you'll want to happen is to go to a tourney where they're playing on HDTVs with composite cables.

Top Bottom