• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"whos top of MW!?!?" A brawl tourny....IN....March 22nd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

teflon_climbers

Smash Lord
For all you folks... Minnesota will BE THERE.

Sparrow, Superdoodleman, Chexr and myself will be attending this shindig, and I will be bringing a setup. VROOM. We might be able to fit two into our car =).

If we came on Friday night would we be able to get some sort of housing? Are you ready to lose to us? If not prepare!

Can't wait to see y'all again =D. This is going to be P.I.M.P.!

BIG C

Smash Master
OMG teflon its been so long i haven't seen u since like FC3 where we played in that 1st round single elim thing that didnt mean anything cuz they F'd up.

but yea there will be housing at my house both nights. what time do u guys plan on getting here?

Kel

Smash Master
What time can we get there on Friday? I'd like to leave earlier than later. Unless, Jiano has to eat a banquet at his house before he leaves and takes A FREAKING MILLENNIUM TO GET HERE!

BIG C

Smash Master
I already said that 2pm and after is good to get here on friday.

AND A REMIDER FOR THE RULES:

3 stock

8 minute time limit

Neutral Stages: Final Destination, Battlefield, Smashville, Lylat Cruise, Yoshi's Island, Pokemon Stadium.

Counterpicks: Delfino Plaza, Halberd, Brinstar (melee), Castle Siege, Green Greens (melee), Jungle Japes (melee), Pictochat, Rainbow Cruise, Norfair, Frigate Orpheon, Yoshi's Island(Pipes), Luigi's Mansion, Green Hill Zone.

Banned: 75m, Big Blue, Corneria, Distant Planet, Electroplankton, Flat Zone 2, Great Sea, Mario Bros., Mushroomy Kingdom, New Pork City, Port Town, Rumble Falls, Shadow Moses Island, Spear Pillar, Temple(melee), The Summit.

Items: all OFF and set to none.

Team Attack: ON

First Stage Random then advanced slob picks meaning loser of the match picks stage, then winner of the match picks character, then the loser of the match picks character.

Sets are best 2 out of 3 until finals which will be best 3 of 5.

Tournament will be double elimination.

Doubles will be crew seperated random seeding double elim bracket.

Singles will consist of one round of Round Robin pools to get top 16 or 32 depends on turnout. Then will be a double elim bracket.

PLEASE BRING A SETUP IF AT ALL POSSIBLE, I WILL BE SATISFIED WITH 13" TV'S IF NOT A FULL SETUP BRING A WII PLZ.

Cosmo!

nerf zelda's dsmash
For all you folks... Minnesota will BE THERE.

Sparrow, Superdoodleman, Chexr and myself will be attending this shindig, and I will be bringing a setup. VROOM. We might be able to fit two into our car =).

If we came on Friday night would we be able to get some sort of housing? Are you ready to lose to us? If not prepare!

Can't wait to see y'all again =D. This is going to be P.I.M.P.!
2222good .

teflon_climbers

Smash Lord
OMG Cosmo HOW DID YOU KNOW I'm too good???? Is it the debonair looks or the join date? =3 Is there anyone that joined before me in this thread?!?!?!

Wait. are you a spy? Or possibly an ex-girlfriend waiting for my downfall when I realize this whole 'too good' thing is a crock of conspiracy?!? May I please have another, sir? Apples?!

Cosmo!

nerf zelda's dsmash
OMG Cosmo HOW DID YOU KNOW I'm too good???? Is it the debonair looks or the join date? =3 Is there anyone that joined before me in this thread?!?!?!

Wait. are you a spy? Or possibly an ex-girlfriend waiting for my downfall when I realize this whole 'too good' thing is a crock of conspiracy?!? May I please have another, sir? Apples?!
i'm EoF's friend :)

KishSquared

Smash Master
What's the logic of banning Pikmin stage? I don't get it.

Also, I'm 99% coming to this with a setup. If Prime comes, maybe we'll bring two setups, who knows. Do people who bring setups get the venue fee waived??

BIG C

Smash Master
yes jeff they get the venue fee waived.

and as for the pikmin stage ban it is just one of my personal rules for a tourny stage if there is an instant KO ,no matter how hard it is to get hit by it, I don't think it should be tourny legal.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
yes jeff they get the venue fee waived.

and as for the pikmin stage ban it is just one of my personal rules for a tourny stage if there is an instant KO ,no matter how hard it is to get hit by it, I don't think it should be tourny legal.
Big C gets +1 cool point for saying "these are my personal rules", implying that it is just a strong belief not necessarily held up by proof, but by opinion, and that it is done becaue Big C believes that it will help his tournament rather than harm it instead of saying

"everyone else is stupid and these are my rules because I'm awesome and know everything

-dmbrandon"

KishSquared

Smash Master
Sweet! I didn't realize we got it waived... I was mostly joking when I asked.

And thanks for banning my counterstage! But actually, I'm fine with people experimenting with bans at this point. There are enough stages on that the tournament shouldn't get boring. I think the only other stage I even disagree with is Mushroomy Kingdom 1-1, but 1-2 should definitely be banned so that'd be a hassle. I haven't taken a stance on Shadow Moses yet.

Oh, and Electroplankton, is that banned because of spamtastic characters? Or some other reason? Don't tell me it's because you're afraid people will stop to make the flower appear (which I totally would every match).

BIG C

Smash Master
rofl, jeff yea spamtastic chars. I didn't even know about this flower thing you speak of and i also hear sonic and ppl with tether recovery's like just get fronzeled out by it.

and i would still ban Mushroomy Kingdom 1-1 the walls on the scrolling stage are ridiculous i've gotten someone in the ddd infinite to bthrow death on a pipe before.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I think we all know that the only people that think walls are broken are scrubs.

5:1 odds MM anyone? Shadow Moses? I won't be Dedede. I win I get $5, you win you get $1? After all, walls are broken and can't be allowed in tournament play. Dedede just teleports you into the wall and forces you to be a character that falls down even though all stages with a wall would be counterpick stages. It's science.

edit:

I haven't played the stage enough to really know, but I really dislike mushroomy kingdom I just because it totally changes how the game is played. I'd want it gone for the same reasons I want stages with caves of immortality gone (caves of immortality being places that let you survive forever with no ability to force your opponent out, DI out, or destroy the cave itself). The game generally, on that stage, degenerates into trying to trap someone at a pipe until the stage pushes them off and kills them. Often you can throw them into the pipe to knock them back towards the ever-moving death zone.

But I'd still like to play it some to find out.

Zjiin

Smash Master
After all, walls are broken and can't be allowed in tournament play. Dedede just teleports you into the wall and forces you to be a character that falls down even though all stages with a wall would be counterpick stages. It's science.
Is it possible to have fair matches on Shadow Moses? Of course. I leave it on random every time we all play together. The fact that is Dedede and a couple of other have the oppritunity to fully exploit the stage and cause a UNESCAPABLE loop. In a better world, we could all just say, "we just won't do that to each other," and everyone would have a good time. Too bad we don't live in that world, and there are people who think picking stages to get the biggest advantage is more important than learning how to fight with their character in general. Smashers have never been synonymous with honor and morales, because it's a video game and when money is on the line, some will do anything it takes.

The tournament stages should be declared set (for this tourney), so people stop talking about them.

BIG C

Smash Master
well overswarm it isnt just dedede fox and wolf shines do the same thing and chars like kirby's rapid a get ppl in infinite combos on the wall.

the kirby combo on my wii is 999 cuz thats as high as it goes in brawl.

and the stages definitely are set for the tourny it is only 3 days away.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Is it possible to have fair matches on Shadow Moses? Of course. I leave it on random every time we all play together. The fact that is Dedede and a couple of other have the oppritunity to fully exploit the stage and cause a UNESCAPABLE loop. In a better world, we could all just say, "we just won't do that to each other," and everyone would have a good time. Too bad we don't live in that world, and there are people who think picking stages to get the biggest advantage is more important than learning how to fight with their character in general. Smashers have never been synonymous with honor and morales, because it's a video game and when money is on the line, some will do anything it takes.

The tournament stages should be declared set (for this tourney), so people stop talking about them.
I will speak of what I want :p

The bottom line is that you shouldn't be trapped against these walls anyway. The only stage that can even be close to considered is Corneria, and that's even a stretch.

Besides, why does it matter if you can be caught in an infininte? This isn't the first, nor last, time that an infinite has been discovered. Wobbles? Not broken. People tried to get really good at that and beat good players and it did not work. Fox's infinite inverse drill shine? No one got close to mastering it, so doesn't really count. Fox's shine against a wall? Became a staple of Fox's game, yet people just learned not to stand next to a wall because it is stupid.

The worst that could happen is if someone refused to play a character that fell down against D3 on a stage like Shadow Moses and the D3 just tried really hard to get that grab off. But hey, what would we say to a DK player if he complained about sheik chain grabbing him to death on FD?

I believe a no johns is in order.

BIG C

Smash Master
i believe a johnz is in order because sheik can't CG DK in melee.

and as for the infinites in melee it was different cuz only fox could do them basically and they took much much much more skill to do anything with so you didn't see it happening for a whole stock or more than one that much. plus most of the stages that fox could infinite were banned. with DDD he has a cg that if u mess up could potentially carry you into a wall which would more than likely = death. and a char getting a grab happens all the time since sheildgrabs are like for free in brawl.

Kel

Smash Master
But if it's a counterpick that your opponent has chosen (because you don't play gay enough to pick dumb stages or anything like that), doesn't that mean that you get the chance to choose a character that doesn't have a disadvantage on the stage? You could even be "gay" enough and pick Dedede yourself. OR you could be super tricky and know which characters can't get infinited....but that would require knowledge of the game and experience.

Wow, I'm sounding a lot more mean than I intended to in that paragraph above. Sarcasm and verbal irony FTW!

KishSquared

Smash Master
You can DI Kirby's rapid-A attack. And I'm fairly certain you can Smash-DI Wolf's shine.

Either way, Fox's is completely un-DI-able. But it's impossible to catch someone against a wall without wavedashing.

Capps Indigo

Smash Journeyman
hey, i should be able to bring a tv and powerstrip, not a full setup tho i dont think. ill also have my camera. i look forward to seeing everyone agian. ^_^

brightside, got your PM, check yours.

BIG C

Smash Master
to kel yes you get to decide if you want to switch characters but as i see it in my list of stages no matter what you shouldn't HAVE to change chars in fear of being infinited.

and jeff i had no clue u could DI those things it doesn't help that I am the only one that tries stuff like that out in training mode and stuff. and i'm quite sure a drill to shine would suffice in capturing someone on a wall i mean not every stage with walls but in the case of like shadow moses. and someone could mess up and get shine-dropped(doesn't have a real term) on meaning that fox shine's then drops the shine and runs up to shine again.

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
to kel yes you get to decide if you want to switch characters but as i see it in my list of stages no matter what you shouldn't HAVE to change chars in fear of being infinited.
While I know you don't want to turn this thread into a stage debate, but...

You know this is an opinion. Many times, you HAD to switch characters in Melee because of chain grabs, in essence. Chain grabs are not far removed from infinites.

Nevertheless I've already said that I have no problem with these rules as a whole.

Chexr

Smash Ace
Who wants to team with Chexr? =x My long time partner Aaron doesn't make tourney's anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom