• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

who's your most hated char to play against?

Pi

Smash Hero
I played Col Bol's pikachu like two or three days ago.

It's a strange matchup, and he goes for too much flashy ****.

But pika really doesn't have many things to put pressure on at a distance, so we can make use of our missiles.

I was able to catch him recovering with side B with fully charged shots (if I had them, if not a missile), so that's a plus.

Also able to do stuff from grab, which applies for most characters.

I'm not sure that pika can do a whole lot from grab but I only had a few matches w/ him so I'm not sure.

I would imagine pika has a hard time killing samus, while samus has an easier time with it, as well as racking up %.

But again, lacking EXP.

AXE 09

Smash Master
interesting..... alright, thanks guys =)

well how does everyone feel about the matchup against falco?

it's kinda strange cuz i'd much rather go pikachu than falco in this matchup... not just because my pikachu's better than my falco, but also cuz i feel like samus can gimp falco too easily. like i'll get a good 100% or so on a samus, then she'll kill me at like 40% haha

dunno if anyone cares, but i played hugs recently =) we did a bunch of friendlies. it kinda felt like the matchup between samus and pika is a 50/50, BUT that's only from my experience against him (and a bunch of other samus players here in AZ) in friendlies. 1 of the matches were recorded:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNCTmu68nJ0

Pi

Smash Hero
Good falco's can be a real pain since they can pretty much shut down our missile game and make it extremely hard to maneuver around the stage.

A strong grasp on powershielding can really help in this matchup.

A lot of times you are simply not going to be able to approach him, and with good spacing/proper shield pressure, it makes it quite hard to UB him, especially if he's baiting.

I play a falco on a regular basis, and since I know his approaches and he's slow to change them, it makes the matchup extremely easy;
wavedash back -> dtilt -> stuff.
Gimps and edgarding are a must.
Run off -> nair to catch side B's is too good, juss be prepared to meteor cancel if he hits you with it.

But with falco's who's approaches you don't know so well, the matchup I find very annoying.

I also played col bol's falco on the same day and he did a lot better vs. me than his pika.

My power shielding was way off that day, or maybe it was juss his lasers, but for whatever reason I wasn't even trying to power shield them.

I guess that as for what to do as the samus in this matchup, figure out how they are approaching, and do it quick, catch them with Dtilts and tech chase like you mean it, remember at certain %'s dtilts lead into more Dtilts, and you want more than anything to get this guy off the stage.

If they're shielding, grab em, remember your DI and know when you can escape his combo's. Save that ****in jump and edge tech everything lol.

If you do get a missile or two off, put pressure on, remember that trick hugs said, if they shine it be in position to dash attack -> punish.

When you are on the edge (this goes for a lot of chars) pressure them with ledge hopped uncharged shots till they are where you want them to be.

Also, if for whatever reason you do not wave dash out of shield, you need to spend time getting that to 100%.
I do it using only R for both shielding and wavedashing.
I use to use L to shield, which I learned, and before that I never used L to shield. If you feel like you have to change what buttons you use, do it, it doesn't take time and it's better than making that excuse.

Question:
When you shield falco's attack, assuming he's going to do 1 single shine after his aerial, when do you attempt to UB, in between the aerial and the shine, or after the shine?

I also would like to hear any advice on the matchup anyone else has, because while I can do fine against the falco I play all the time, I feel like it's him I know and not the falco matchup.

Tyserification

Smash Lord
I used to write good posts like 2 years ago, now Im just gettin lazy -_-

Falco:
- Powershield lasers because its not that hard.
- Dont fall for that Mango shit where he's pressuring your shield with crap then just Fsmashes out of nowhere. It's whack.
- Shield a lot. Falco cant do nothing if you shield except grab -> nothing.
- Grab this mofo because all Falcos are scared and will shield if you get close to em.
- Dont get out spaced or you lose and die in fire.
- More stuff but I dont wanna type about Falco. He's a stupid bird that I would squish if he were real.

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
Did Chexr and SDM quit or something? Theyre both Melee players from Minnesota.
Chexr is a Jiggz main.
SuperDoodleMan is a Peach main.
Both of em are pretty good players. Get at them.
No, I have not faced them. I have been searching for Minnesota Melee tournies forever. I finally just found Mn Smash so I'll be checking there.

Oh, and please don't say 'Brawl,' I despise that game.

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
I think at this point everyone does =D
Thank you.

I actually went through my Brawl faze where I was like 'omg y do so many ppl like melee lolol? brawl is funner heheharhar.' Ok, so maybe not those works exactly.

But after playing Melee again, and actually using AT's in my gameplay, I realized Brawl was a terrible, slow game that brought complete idiots into the smash community that have no reason being here.

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
i wouldn't say it's for complete idiots

i think at the lower levels there are a lot of those brawl noobs

but when you get to higher level playing it's supposedly better

as i hear it there's a lot more thinking and less playing (this is a slightly derogatory way of putting it lol)

of course *some* melee people (like me) would find such a slow paced game boring

TO EACH THEIR OWN

i don't like brawl but whatever

and i think the point tyser was trying to make was that you sound really noob-y sometimes

ANYWAYS
continue your discussions

Pi

Smash Hero
Brawl is like playing a double jiggs match
You pick and pick and pick away at each other till you're at high enough % then you have to keep picking away till your opponent puts himself in a bad position to get hit hard enough to die.

Also I hate jiggs.

See how I made it kinda relevant?

Have any of you guys played good luigi's?
What the **** is up with that guys aerials?!
His nair beats my nair or trades with it! what the ****!

Also, if you don't already, ****ing learn to waveland on platforms
I was on yoshis story (**** THIS STAGE, BY THE WAY) and on the platform, marth was recovering, I wavedashed off the platform (not really a waveland but wavelanding is hella fun) and fast fall bair'd him.
**** was cash, so cash.

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
luigi is a really offensive character, so you have to more patient with him until you figure him out
if they're alright, the matchup is in your favor
if they **** then they **** and you just gotta get better

yoshi's *****!
it's not THAT bad
just don't let it get to you

Tyserification

Smash Lord
I played Luigi at one point.
He's gay as AIDS to fight against with any character except Marth and Sheik.
I mostly just hate wavedash -> ftilt. It's puurrrty gewd -_-

Ewww, wavelanding with Samus. I like the ground bruh.

edgeluca

Smash Lord
NNID
Edgeluca
3DS FC
2879-0257-1267
I played Luigi at one point.
He's gay as AIDS to fight against with any character except Marth and Sheik.
I mostly just hate wavedash -> ftilt. It's puurrrty gewd -_-

Ewww, wavelanding with Samus. I like the ground bruh.
Luigi is easy... and wavelanding is amazing.

SudoChop

Smash Rookie
Marf

Call me crazy but i actually picked up Samus as a "counter" to Marf. - obviously this is not much of a counter-pick, but for my play style with Samus it works out great; lure in the FSmash and wavedash out of shield to just about anything. Oh, and always DI away, or your effed.

-Gannon: Lots of practice against this beast. Ive found a pretty good way to punish his approach. What I've been doing is dropping bombs and waiting for the Fair approach, which can be punished by a well timed Utilt. Utilts in general work very well against his approach.

Most hated - Falco. Gawd, I main this guy and have tons of difficulties against Samus; but then when I play against falco's I have tons of trouble. Probably just have to play more patient. Laz0rs are soo annoying..

-Im no Samus pro, these are just my thoughts.

Tyserification

Smash Lord
oh yea? spaceballs wavelands like a mother ****er
what do you have to say about that tyser?! HMMMM???
I dont like doing it in excess, but if it works for him, it works for him :p
His style in general is unique to me since he does it all the time and somehow doesnt get punished.

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
blah i was gonna say stuff to contribute to this "discussion" but it won't really change anything and i'll just keep it to myself and become the best in the worlddd

Pi

Smash Hero
I think that in a marth vs. samus match one party is going to be annoyed when the other is satisfied, and it goes back and forth.

I'll give Utilts a try vs. his approach, but usually fair/nair works well to combat his fair's.

What is the best CP vs ganon you think? FD?
And vs Marth? I guess dreamland right? I feel pretty confident on PS though. can get that distance on him and missile

Tyserification

Smash Lord
I only counterpick Battlefield and Fountain of Crust.
Doesnt matter who Im fighting.
I keep it real like that.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
FD is the best CP, Ganon simply can't control the stage like he can on YS.

Ganon does decently on FoD and BF, lives forever on DL, good on PS, and wrecks Samus on YS.

I like DL and FD against Marth.

DL and FD's layout simply doesn't give him the zoning that PS and YS would. PS's transformations do nothing good for Samus anyways.

I like FD in general for most matchups save for Falco

Samus doesn't perform terribly well with platforms compared with pretty much every other top/high so my CP philosophy has been to even the field with either FD or Dreamland (Falco ***** both those stages though so **** him)

utilt ***** Ganon's recovery as long as the timing is right, so ganon's recovery on DL isn't too concerning.

Watty

Smash Lord
actually i disagree i pretty much rock every ganon ive ever fought on YS and falco worse stage against samus is FD or BF. FD they dont have any platforms to hide on u use missilies to disrupt the lasers approach and once ur in range not alot they can do. and there recovery is much worse tehre they have no platofmrs to aim for its just the ledge or stage forward tilt and uptilt **** that.

rhan

Smash Hero
Lately I been finding it easier to fight Marth's.... wierd?

I have Sheik as the character I play against Marth but I guess my Sheik is deteriorating so out of pure randomness and after being pissed that I just lost to a Marth while playing Shiek on FoD (Got 3 stocked) went Samus and the Random pick was FD and I happen to 2-3 stock the same Marth player..... And one of my crew mates plays Marth as a main and he's been spanking my Sheik the same way but I always come closer to winning and sometimes happen to win with Samus. Even on Marth favoring stages like Yoshi's or FoD.

Is it because I'm getting better or is it because people don't know how to play Samus?

/rant
/carpal tunnel

Tyserification

Smash Lord

Is it because I'm getting better or is it because people don't know how to play Samus?
Probably a little bit of both.

I ONLY fight Marths, Falcos and Falcons over here,
ONLY and Marth is the toughest in the nation.
Dem pesky grabs.

edgeluca

Smash Lord
NNID
Edgeluca
3DS FC
2879-0257-1267
Probably a little bit of both.

I ONLY fight Marths, Falcos and Falcons over here,
ONLY and Marth is the toughest in the nation.
Dem pesky grabs.
Either the marth's here suck (which they don't really) or Marth is just easy for me. I don't get it.

Pi

Smash Hero
Marth's not that bad.
Especially if they don't know the matchup
You can have them in their shield like the whole match
Jajaja.

Euclid

Smash Journeyman
I play against JBM's Marth all the time.
He knows the matchup pretty well since we play 1-3 days a week -_-

What Marth players do you guys play against?

I think Canada's Marth is Diakonos or somethin like that and Florida has QDVS. Are there any others?

Only Marths Ive ever played against who are pretty legit is JBM and Cosmo.

Pi

Smash Hero
I play against JBM's Marth all the time.
He knows the matchup pretty well since we play 1-3 days a week -_-

What Marth players do you guys play against?

I think Canada's Marth is Diakonos or somethin like that and Florida has QDVS. Are there any others?

Only Marths Ive ever played against who are pretty legit is JBM and Cosmo.
I play against my buddy Zer0 who's up and coming all the time
Played QDVS, last match I had with him were 1 stocks in his favor IIRC, was a few months ago, we've since both improved.
Had dark sonic in a tourney set last weekend, first match fairly close 1 stock match in his favor
next was 3 stock, I could say some johns, but instead I'll juss say I plan to beat him next time we fight.

Skratch is also a very notable marth in FL, he's on QDVS's level, where dark sonic is probably right below these two.
I haven't played him in a while.

I feel like, for marth at least, almost everything he does has an appropriate response from samus (on the ground that is, in the air he has the advantage, unless you're under him), I'd say the matchup is in his favor, but not by much.

isn't it like a 30-70?

At least you outrange Sheik so up-B and proper spacing can get you out of sticky situtations a lot of the time.

When marth corners you, I don't even know what to do

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
I mentally consider Samus the worst character in the game and all her matchups impossible. I play better when I'm thinking "zero percent chance of victory? I LIKE THOSE ODDS!" with a manic smile on my face.

Tyserification

Smash Lord
Hey IHSP, in your opinion, what are Samus' Top 3 worst matchups? If you can explain why that'd be cool too. I just want to get your opinion since youre one of the top Samus mains.

Pi

Smash Hero
paws?

10paws?

So...for the most part
me and my buddy go even (marth)
but
I haven't won a match on YS
in the past few sessions we've had
every other stage is totally cool
but ****ing YS.

edgeluca

Smash Lord
NNID
Edgeluca
3DS FC
2879-0257-1267
paws?

10paws?

So...for the most part
me and my buddy go even (marth)
but
I haven't won a match on YS
in the past few sessions we've had
every other stage is totally cool
but ****ing YS.
I love YS. I get to waveland like hell and control the stage with missiles.
Might just be me though.

Rat

Smash Lord
Quick question. Which match-ups do you love?

I personally love Samus vs Falcon. For some reason, even when I get hit with the knee it's awesome. It makes me smile.

Also Samus vs Mewtwo is hilarious because mewtwo has no chance at all.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
Hey IHSP, in your opinion, what are Samus' Top 3 worst matchups? If you can explain why that'd be cool too. I just want to get your opinion since youre one of the top Samus mains.
No matter how much I stare at the list I've made of her worst matchups, I can't make myself feel confident about the order.
Marth
Jiggs
Falcon
Sheik
Peach
Falco
Ganon
Fox
But if I tried to recreate this list an hour from now I might re-convince myself that Fox is impossible to hit and put him first, or decide that Jiggs not having to really commit to anything combined with your inability to punish her beyond a single hit makes her the worst, or something might remind me (everything does these days ;_; ) of NES n00b and I'll realize that Falcons who know how bad Samus is are the worst, and then I'll see a match of Armada and realize that if he can nair out of shield pressure from the most technical spacies in the world how am I going to ever pressure him with anything, Peach must be the worst, etc etc etc

tl;dr version: Samus should never win vs anyone ever and I'm going to miss raiding my parents' wine cellar when I move out tomorrow. Good night.

Pi

Smash Hero
=\
falcons who know the matchup knee you if you dtilt their shield >.>
I thought I was safe

my marth friend fairs me if i F tilt his shield in front of him, wtf is that...
and i'm pretty sure i can't space jabs to not get grabbed

Top Bottom