• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - Apex 2015 Why are all the top players rage quitting

CanISmash

Smash Lord
Elmont LI, Queens. Philadelphia during semesters.
"Yay I didn't get 4stocked so now I can suicide this life"

This is something that everyone kind of just breezed over throughout the weekend that was happening on a fairly consistent basis and blowing my mind

Players that had their back against the rope kept intentionally sd'ing their last stock without trying. Giving up the current game to try their luck in the next one. It happened during top 8, it happened in the salty suite, and by several different players.

Off the top of my head I know leffen, hbox, and m2k were all participants. Why? Why? Why?

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Here is what i would think

"I don't feel like working so hard with a great chance of it leading to nothing. Lets just end this game and try again with a new strat next game"

Its the whole i still have the next game mentality. When its your last game you really go ham then.

Varist

Smash Lord
As players get better that's just what's going to happen. If it's four stocks to one and your opponent has been consistently outpacing you in the neutral game you know the game is over.

This isn't the age of "whoa it's m2k vs drpeepee and drpeepee is 4 stocking him i wonder if dr peepee will miraculously start playing like **** and let jason take 4 of his stocks in a row!" it's "Dr. PeePee has been dominating m2k the whole match and he's such a great consistent player in such a good mindset right now this game is unwinnable for m2k"

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
Wouldn't the Justin Wong vs Chris G comeback be more apt? Anyway, M2k realizes that a stock may not be a lead but 3 stocks is a lead, and with a character like Marth who has to rely on gimps for early kills, it does not seem feasible.

FlynnCL

Smash Journeyman
Eh... for Mew2King in those sets, I always took it as him just trying to keep any momentum going instead of continuing to fight in a match that is no longer in his favour. Mew2King probably thought that the particular game was starting to look hopeless, and to continue fighting with that mindset can be destructive to you.

He cut the match quickly, and was then able to choose the next one on his terms.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
I really had a feeling that M2K could have won Apex if the doubt did not start to take over him.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Wouldn't the Justin Wong vs Chris G comeback be more apt? Anyway, M2k realizes that a stock may not be a lead but 3 stocks is a lead, and with a character like Marth who has to rely on gimps for early kills, it does not seem feasible.
The problem with j wong vs chris G as an example is that if j wong conceded on the 3rd match of the set he lost for good. So he had no reason but to go all out as his back was to a corner. Also UMvC3 has the whole x-factor to make comebacks much easier. And even without you just have to outplay a person twice per character left usually as the good characters can at least do a 600k bnb without any help.

In smash you gotta outplay a person for the rest of your one stock...

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
The problem with j wong vs chris G as an example is that if j wong conceded on the 3rd match of the set he lost for good. So he had no reason but to go all out as his back was to a corner. Also UMvC3 has the whole x-factor to make comebacks much easier. And even without you just have to outplay a person twice per character left usually as the good characters can at least do a 600k bnb without any help.

In smash you gotta outplay a person for the rest of your one stock...
Hmm, you seem to have misunderstood me. He put an old j wong fight where j wong barely had his back to the wall. The most recent wong comeback would have been more apt for an inspirational video. M2k realized what that a comeback is not going to happen and he sd'ed.

Top Bottom