• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why are people picking their mains already?

misterbee180

Smash Apprentice
I dont really understand the idea of choosing your main already. Half of us really havn't even played the game at all. Most of us, including myself, have no idea what a character will play like.

I see people saying that i'm going to main this guy and i'm going to main that guy. How do you know that guy wont just suck for your style of play. How do you know that you'll enjoy playing with that character after the first month of playing with him? How do you know that character wont just suck ballz when everyone gets good at the game? There are so many things that we dont know yet so why is it that we are declaring our character mains.

I say declair your favorites but dont declare who you are going to main or you will force yourself to main that character. Then when its no longer fun you will get bored and either stop playing the game or pick a new char and look like an idiot.

Leave your character scope open!

Jeepy Sol

Smash Ace
A lot of people will main a character because of emotional attatchment, not whether they are high tier or not. I, for example, having played almost all Fire Emblems, will main Ike.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
I agree, but I almost act in a contradictory way...

I see it a bit differently (maybe). After watching videos, I have some ideas for characters I like and really want to try out, they will obviously have priority since I am already interested in them for one reason or another.

I won't say "I am maining <insert character>" but I will say I am giving priority to 5 or 6 characters, but if none of them fit the way I want to play I will certainly move on to another character.

Pima

Smash Journeyman
Because some of us actually main characters we like, and not just the god tier ones

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
because people main whatever character they like and not everyone is a tier wh0re

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
Because they want to main characters because they like them.
Not because they are top tier.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Why Falco is gonna be my Main: Because of his agility and his ability to dish out crap loads of Damage in one go. My kinda style
Kirby: Because i can copy other Characters thus turning their strengths against them. My kinda Style
Fox:He's fast and agile and he dishes out damage slowly but at a high rate. My kinda style :laugh:
Wolf: He n can dish out more damage in his Attacks and smashes and is not slow as ****. my kinda play.

Well seeing they fit in how i play( i go for the guys who are medium fast and can dish out moderate-heavy damage) i will main them

DTKPch

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, kinda emotional attachment, but not in a weird way of course.

I think wolf looks frikin' badass (and kinda like a hobo-fox), so no matter what tier he is, I'm gonna be maining him (unless he's proven to be completely unplayable, which probably won't be the case).

On the opposite side of the spectrum, I just don't like Sonic, so even if he's Epic God Pwnage Tier, I'm not maining him.

PltnmNgl

Smash Journeyman

I see it a bit differently (maybe). After watching videos, I have some ideas for characters I like and really want to try out, they will obviously have priority since I am already interested in them for one reason or another.

I won't say "I am maining <insert character>" but I will say I am giving priority to 5 or 6 characters, but if none of them fit the way I want to play I will certainly move on to another character.
I'm right there with you. I really would like my favorite characters as mains, but I will obviously play them before I make that permanent decision. Besides, I've been switching brawl "mains" like crazy, video after video.

PltnmNgl

Smash Journeyman

I'm right there with you. I really would like my favorite characters as mains, but I will obviously play them before I make that permanent decision. Besides, I've been switching brawl "mains" like crazy, video after video.

sfox8

Smash Journeyman
There's nothing wrong with choosing your mains early. I'm going to main Kirby, Ice Climbers and Pit for sure. Why? Because I am attached to all three of them. I've been with Kirby since 64. ICs all through Melee and the nostalgia from Pit is enough to drive me to main him.

I understand what you're saying, but I don't see why people shouldn't be allowed to choose who they want to play as before the game comes out. People do it with other games as well. Play style has nothing to do with it for me. I tend to like fast, cute characters that pack a punch, but I had no problem having Ganondorf and Zelda as my secondary characters in Melee.

People can always change their playstyle if they really want to use a certain character that much.

Plus, it gives people something to anticipate as they're waiting for the game. We can find out how characters play from videos and reviews of that character. We just don't know how it will feel when we pick up that character yet (at least not 100%).

GKirby

Smash Apprentice
Because he's nearly identical to Ness and I played NEss in Melee >.>

shadydentist

Smash Lord
Tiers has nothing to do with it. Some play styles are simply more fun for me than others. For instance, playing mewtwo in melee is fun for be, because hes a really unique character. Playing Roy, however, was really frustrating simply because he was worse than Marth in every way.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Tiers has nothing to do with it. Some play styles are simply more fun for me than others. For instance, playing mewtwo in melee is fun for be, because hes a really unique character. Playing Roy, however, was really frustrating simply because he was worse than Marth in every way.
I liked Roy's power...

I didn't like playing as Marth at all

neonpheonix

Smash Rookie
I already pretty much chose Captain Falcon. He's fun to play as and has only gotten better. I'll also play as everyone else. (especially Kirby, Jigglypuff, and Metaknight.{and maybe some Ike})

Platanos

Smash Cadet
Well, I picked Lucas because I always liked Ness's PSI, but didn't like Ness himself.

Lucas looks perfect for me.

Ichida

Smash Ace
R.O.B.'s badassery is far superior to even the highest potential attainable by any others. That's why.
Well, he gave up any kind of personality or storyline for a reason. All he does, from what I've seen, is set off the Ancient Minister's bombs.

specialsauce

Smash Journeyman
For me I go with the characters that are my favs. thats why I want to main sonic. BUt i am going to try everyone who knows I could end up maining PT.

Dustero

Smash Journeyman
The character I'm going to main for sure is Mario and I know I can easily main him because he is my main in Melee and I've done a lot of reasearch and it turns at that Mario plays pretty much the same way he did in Melee. I know I'll be able to main him. Mario is also better than he was in Melee.

Dustero

Smash Journeyman
The character I'm going to main for sure is Mario and I know I can easily main him because he is my main in Melee and I've done a lot of reasearch and it turns at that Mario plays pretty much the same way he did in Melee. I know I'll be able to main him. Mario is also better than he was in Melee.

Dustero

Smash Journeyman

Top Bottom