• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

why are you bad?

mers

Smash Ace
i kinda hate these "everybody talk about yourselves" threads, but this is something that i've found to really help my game, and i'm curious to see how it works for others.

why are you bad? what do you do wrong that keeps you from beating everyone you play?

john if you want ("i suck at techskill," "i don't have enough time to get good," "i don't care enough/always sandbag") but we all know there's more to it than that. self-analyze! identify the real problems in your game so you can fix them!

note: this is definitely valid for really good players too. why don't you win every national? why do you give up stocks/games?

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
Because I have only been playing this game seriously since APEX rekindled my passion for Melee and I decided I wanted to become really good.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
my own self-observation: i have consistancy problems sorta like most fox mains have, only i play marth and sheik.

my crew's observations: if you irk me or i get frustrated i play MUCH worse, i seem to have a mental block when fighting sheik or a campy falco, also technical foxes can throw me off balance sometimes

:phone:

mers

Smash Ace
ima try to clarify where i want this thread to go with these two posts:

Because I have only been playing this game seriously since APEX rekindled my passion for Melee and I decided I wanted to become really good.
johns. while playing, what do you do badly that you should do well?

my own self-observation: i have consistancy problems sorta like most fox mains have, only i play marth and sheik. :phone:
kinda johns. go deeper: what do your consistency problems stem from?

my crew's observations: if you irk me or i get frustrated i play MUCH worse, i seem to have a mental block when fighting sheik or a campy falco

perfect.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
okay my "consistancy problems" are typically having trouble exicuting simple things such as shiek's tilt combos or a chainthrow on a spacie the match after i do everything just about perfectly. it's swung so drastically that people have asked if i was okay because it's such a massive change

may qualify under loss of focus perhaps i dk, i usually just try to play better lol *shrugs*

Kal

Smash Champion
I get complacent a lot. When things don't go like I expect, it tends to end badly. Like, losing to Marth and Roy on KJ64 even though I'm Fox, badly.

Massive

Smash Champion
I have bad reflexes.
I miss rests.
I'm very inconsistent performance wise, and I have no control over when I'm "on" or "off".
I only get to play other people a few times a month, tops.
I'm not nearly as into the game as I was 5 years ago, making it very hard to find motivation to practice.

Kal

Smash Champion
Just watch this every day and you'll get back into the game, Massive.

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
My tech skill is on and off.

I suck at tech chasing.

Idk I just kinda suck all around lol

EDIT: I am having a hard time coming up with a real reason; sometimes I think it comes down to the fact that others are better than me at this point in my progression of learning this game.

R:U:N

Smash Cadet
I roll too much, I attack into shields too much, my defensive game sucks, and I'm too predictable sometimes (using the same approach attack all the time, for example)
I realize that these are all things that I could just stop doing, but I've developed too much of a habit with them, but I've been making progress breaking my bad habits lately
My biggest problem of all though is that I'm not confident enough. I can be JV-5ing my friends the night before a tourney, but when I go to a tourney and play someone that I don't know, I choke.
I do things that I know are stupid, but still do them anyways, I fullhop when I want to shorthop, I stop mid-combo cuz I just freeze and forget everything I know about this game. I hate knowing that I could have done so much better at a tournament, even in friendlies, if I just remembered that I am not THAT bad at this game.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
I understand that some people aren't very good and they know it, but it helps a lot if you try to be positive and confident in yourself instead of teling everyone about how bad you are.

odinNJ

Smash Lord
I need to stop missing gimps. I need to start getting kills out of
Techchases instead of just ending them randomly.

I have to stop approaching. Both my characters suck at it

S l o X

Smash Champion
I jump and approach too much and I don't consciously think while playing. I don't consciously space some moves that are longer than I think they are.

I don't have a job so I can't go to every local.

All of these are close to being fixed.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
I have difficulty with spatial aspects of melee and playing creatively. Those are probably my main specific problems

More importantly/generally, I believe that pride gets the better of me in a lot of matches/sets. For example, I find it difficult to try new things in friendlies because I'm worried about losing when its more important to take that time to experiment rather than reinforce what I already understand (which in turn slows my improvement). Another example - when I have any assumption of someone's skill level (whether I play them all the time or I only heard of them from someone else), it severely affects how I play.

I feel like other players suffer from this too, especially considering how vocal some players are about it (ie stuff like "I wasn't even trying etc"). I try not to show it but I know I'm suffering from it internally. I feel like in some ways that's actually worse, lol. Pride is something I'm always actively telling myself to get rid of, and I have to constantly tell myself to play to learn rather than to stroke my own ego. It used to be a lot worse but I think I've gotten better with it to the point where I don't have to put so much effort on changing my mindset.

With that said, I don't think I'm too bad. Definitely nowhere near good though.

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
I'm super lazy.

When I play with my friends, I only play for "fun" and don't actively try to get better. I don't practice tech skill. I don't watch videos. I hardly come to the forums anymore. I don't want to drive an hour to a local. Even at nationals, I barely play any friendlies at all.

Pretty much why I haven't improved in a year.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
I don't analyze myself as much as I could and what I do see what's wrong with me in a match, I don't remember it all. I also get frustrated easily and I play a lot worse when I'm frustrated. Those are just the main things that I see blocking myself from getting better, besides not being able to attend tournaments as often as I'd like.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
No one can beat me in my island but they do tell me that my fox is too "wild" and that I just approach with nair shine all of the time. They often times say that my fox isn't good and I know that. Since 2009 to now they have been saying that, but in the same time period they have been saying that my sheik is legit. I can see that because my edge guarding is on point with her and I'm good with her in teams. People say I have good synergy with them in teams especially with peach mains. I feel down sometimes when they diss my playstyle even though I am better then them.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
I have huge difficulties concentrating (this applies to everything in my life)

I usually lose focus when I kill my opponent and then get *****

I play pretty good though when I'm able to concentrate

Also my spacing needs a lot of work

Jonas

Smash Champion
I realized a while ago that I don't actually like playing this game, which made it hard to improve or even care about improving. It sounds weird, but I used to just play and try to convince myself that I was having fun, which just made have an even worse time playing it. In the end, I just stopped playing and I don't see myself coming back to the game :)

Green Richards

Smash Rookie
I have a tendency to play on autopilot, causing me to do stupid things like shieldgrabbing way too often and double jumping for no reason.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I'm not bad at all. I know all the frames and perfected the shai drop but I'm really unlucky. I don't have a CRT so even though I know the exact frame to ff on I can't and my control stick doesn't know pure neutral so this messes up a lot of my ATs and this just depresses me to no end so I decide not to practice and then I go MM some scrub but get bored of my character half way through the match and decide to use other chars but I lose because my controller doesn't work with anything other than floaties so I can't land triple shines and get super salty at my controller. Y'all don't know me when I had my good controller.

:awesome:

Blu

Smash Apprentice
(1) I live in a dead-zone for Melee, which makes it hard to get in practice versus actual people.

(2) Extracurricular school stuff has frequently used up a lot of my practice time.

(3) My tech skill is only consistent with around 75% of what my brain tells my character to do. I have, however, found two personal methods that seem to be helping this issue.

(4) I'm currently maining the character who is supposed to be my secondary.

(5) I need to react to DI more.

EDIT:

I would have put focus in here as a problem, but it seems to be getting easier and easier to commit the entirety of my focus to matches.

Blu

Smash Apprentice
Build your own scene and become top of your area
LOL! Yeah, I attempted that about a year ago and I got Sarasota up to about ten players, but none of them had dedication in the long run. It just isn't practical anyways, since I live so-so away from Tampa/Orlando and am also moving to the latter next year.

Kyandid

Smash Cadet
I'm pretty new to the game and I don't play against a wide variety of characters.

I also play really aggressively nonstop. The second I feel like I'm the one being pressured, I stop playing intelligently and begin doing really dumb things (Desperately jabbing, dash attacks, etc.).

I still have trouble landing some shorter range moves (Knees, shines, Falco dtilt) and don't know exactly when it'll hit. I wait until after I know it's connected before I play off of it, and that's usually too late. I feel like I've got a pretty good reaction speed/feel for when longer range moves (nairs, smashes) will hit or be blocked/dodged - but I still really suck at gauging the fast, short ranged things.

EDIT: I also think I have a secret fetish for getting people to super high %s on their last stock and then losing with a huge advantage.

gm jack

Smash Lord
Poor reaction times to tech chase consistently. Yes I could cop out and just try to predict it and lead into a dash attack/usmash asap, but I'd rather learn the more guaranteed method, even if it is harder.

Andy Lawliet

Smash Cadet
90% of posts in this thread are johns, go read the first post.

I go into auto mode after the game starts. I don't think any more i just try to do stuff.
Im like "oh fox has laser" so I start lasering even though marth is standing right in front of me.
Or I'm dash dancing all the time until marth overshoots fsmash and i get tipped.
Im also doing stupid things like FJ Nair after dd even if my opponent didn't do anything at all, then i get grabbed ...

I also mess up stuff (technical stuff but also simple things like uthrow uair with fox) when playing because I'm under pressure.

i could go on forever but every time I'm about to change something I'm a ****ing lazy *******

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
I dash attack too much...actually I just dash too much.

I have robotic throw followups and rarely am able to counter proper DI.

I get really flustered playing against people I've never played before, for some reason I feel too much pressure to overperform and start missing easy tech and stuff (especially L-cancels, even though I'm like 100% on those against people I play regularly.)

Top Bottom