• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why aren't Sheik and Zelda treated as one character?

yWizePapaSmurfy

Smash Rookie
I mained Sheik in Melee, no doubt, but upon playing Brawl for the past weeks I think Nintendo really made it a goal that we have to rely on both Z & S to achieve great victories. Sure, transformation is long, but you can easily switch out while someone is trying to recover from the stage from a blow.

It really bothers me about this, I'm sure if we master both Z&S they're still a GREAT character, yet people still have Melee mindsets and think one can operate without use of the other. :ohwell:

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
No offense, but you're throwing away a huge edgeguarding opportunity by transforming during a character's recovery. I've seen Ryoko transform during safe spots from Sheik to Zelda, but the Zelda -> Sheik transformation is only short enough to do when they're dying over the top. Luckily Zelda's got utilt, uair, and usmash to wreck people in that direction.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
No offense, but you're throwing away a huge edgeguarding opportunity by transforming during a character's recovery.
Brawl edgeguarding... lol.

Only a few characters I can think of can be meaningfully edgeguarded, even by Sheik. Zelda can otherwise get one good hit in and just KO them outright. It's hardly a bad idea if you actually know how to play Zelda and when to bring her out. And landing a killing hit with Zelda is no longer the chore it used to be.

ADHD

Smash Hero
I mained Sheik in Melee, no doubt, but upon playing Brawl for the past weeks I think Nintendo really made it a goal that we have to rely on both Z & S to achieve great victories. Sure, transformation is long, but you can easily switch out while someone is trying to recover from the stage from a blow.

It really bothers me about this, I'm sure if we master both Z&S they're still a GREAT character, yet people still have Melee mindsets and think one can operate without use of the other. :ohwell:

Screw nintendo, they made the game slower. If they want me to main zelda along with shiek, then that sucks for them

yWizePapaSmurfy

Smash Rookie
Brawl edgeguarding... lol.

Only a few characters I can think of can be meaningfully edgeguarded, even by Sheik. Zelda can otherwise get one good hit in and just KO them outright. It's hardly a bad idea if you actually know how to play Zelda and when to bring her out. And landing a killing hit with Zelda is no longer the chore it used to be.
Exactly what I'm thinking, since the edge guarding game is a lot tougher now with the majority of the roster, I don't see any disadvantage of using each form of Z & S to their fullest and switching.

I mean, if they intended us to use them as separate characters then they would have kept them separate characters, but no. They nerfed Sheik with good reason, but she can still work up damage quick. Then at a opportune moment, switch to Zelda and kick 'em out of the stage once and for all.

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
Get comfortable off the stage, that's how Sheik can get a lot of kills. Fair, Bair or even Nair off the stage once or maybe twice for an easy kill, you can get kills at low percents this way.

Justice7541

Smash Apprentice
What I've been thinking is that while Sheik's attacks have relatively low knockback, at damage levels above 100%, she can still smack them pretty **** far, although I've yet to test if, say, a BAir > land > Transform comes out fast enough to be completely safe.

Regardless, using Sheik to rack up mega damage and cleaning them out with Din's Fire after their damage builds up isn't a bad idea, but it's not like Zelda can't rack damage herself, so I don't why you'd really need Sheik, unless you're really having trouble KOing them even at a high percentage. She needs about 120% to KO; Zelda needs about 80% IIRC. Giving up an opportunity for further hits between 80% and 120% (which is perfect for Sheik combos) to transform in Zelda seems a bit pointless if I could just slap them around a bit more and just KO them with Sheik.

neji49

Smash Cadet
The transformation does come out quickly in that situation. That's actually a tactic I use, combo them,gget them out of my face for a bit trasnform, spam din's fire,and when they get close, smash them. Works every time.

Top Bottom