• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why can't people call blacks "Negroes"

Umm The Hobo

Smash Cadet
I see why it is bad to call blacks "******s" Do to whites calling them that to make them feel inferior during times of slavery, But why not "Negroes"? Negro means black. Black people don't mind being called black. In fact the only people who don't like you calling black people black are easily offended white women :laugh: So, If there is someone who knows why calling Black people "Negroes" is bad, please explain.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Because Negroes sounds like a scientific classification of them as animals, plus it still hearkens back to the civil rights area, where Negro was the accepted term for blacks, and have a negative connotation of difference.

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
White people = Caucasians
Far eastern people = Mongolians
Black people = Negroids

When was the last time someone called you a caucasian? Theres no need to use any of these words nowadays except scientifically.

monkeyfan1

Smash Rookie
i don't think it's "wrong." but i can't see anyone who isn't black, just going up to any random person and saying "hey negro." then again it's how you say everything and to who you say it to, and in what context it is used.

i think it's not so much "why is it bad," than "why do you need to use it?" ya i think it's a funny term to throw around at your friends and what not just because it sounds funny. in the end, calling someone a negro really just feels like a way to make someone feel different, in a bad way. in a world where we are all equal, and should be treated as such.

hope i make sense lol.

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
dont use it casually. the race card is being tossed around far too easily this generation. like the above poster said, why would you need to?

t3hdragon

Smash Rookie
To the OP, you could call them that, you just shouldn't.

And the word has significance because people give it that meaning. "Negro" means black in spanish. When I took a trip to Ecuador, my family called them "nigros" and "nigras". It's only a slur to the stupid, who realize that banning a word gives it more power. If people call me a beaner, that's cool. I really don't care, and if my ancestors were stupid enough to take offense, then someone has to take the bait. That's how it works.

I'm not defending the stupid, and I'm not condoning it either. I won't use the word unless I see a need to, but it won't be derogatory if I do. Racism is dumb, but it never changes. The stupid, however, are creative, so what's worse?

Mugquomp

Smash Ace
Wrong. People from the Caucus mountains in western europe are caucasions, its incorrectly applied to all white people.
The correct term for black people would be marron(brown), since no one(besides Wesley Snipes) is truly black.
Wrong. The name stems from the Caucasus mountains, which are in eastern Europe.

Mike87

Smash Ace
Actually my step sister told me a while ago that "colored" is now somehow acceptable.
I think thats bull****, IMO its one of the least PC ones.

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
White people = Caucasians
Far eastern people = Mongolians
Black people = Negroids

When was the last time someone called you a caucasian? Theres no need to use any of these words nowadays except scientifically.
The classifications are actually Caucasoid, Negroid, and Mongoloid. They are not often used to this day because they have a related pronunciation to offensive terms from an older era.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
i have probably been called ****** 500 plus times on online games i never want to hear a word that starts with N I G again

OffTheChain

Smash Ace
I've never had a problem with it in a joking manner, honestly anyone of the 'N' words don't really bother me. Now I do still take into account if someone uses it in a joking manner or with intent to offend.

YaiYoh

Smash Rookie
Last post for the night for me, expect ranting.

WHY WHITE FOLK CAN'T USE OLD TERMS FOR BLACK PEOPLE.
a post

So, Little Umm, you want to know why you can't say things like Negro, ******, and Colored to refer to people of Black? Well, it all comes down to a few simple things.

UNO. POLITICAL CORRECTNESS
Nobody likes being offended. So to counter offensiveness, us smrat peoplez deciced to come up with cockamieme terms for everyone, so as not to "offend" them. You've heard of the term "African-American", right? Anything other than that term to refer to black people is "politically incorrect", or to put in layman's terms, not polite.

DOS. I CAN'T THINK OF ANOTHER REASON AT THIS HOUR SO LET'S MOVE ONTO

TRES. WHY CAN THEY CALL THEMSELVES ALL THOSE THINGS?
Because it's "thier" words, not "ours".

THE EDN

I honestly thought there were more reasons than that. (There probably are but it's too late for me to think hard. GOOD NIGHT.)

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
Because it's "thier" words, not "ours".
in other words, you approve of stupid double-standards?

gotcha.

You've heard of the term "African-American", right? Anything other than that term to refer to black people is "politically incorrect", or to put in layman's terms, not polite.
wrong. there are other black races.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
I'll call anyone whatever I please.

You go online and hear people say gay and queer and stuff and it RARELY gets questioned as PC.

Same with ********.

People in chess club or whatever get called geeks and teachers wouldn't do a thing to stop it. You say ****** and you get busted. BIG TIME. It's because people feel guilty about things their people have done in the past.

I feel all people should be given a chance to prove themselves equal. My ethics say everyone is a person. Give them a chance.

So if I feel like saying something about or to someone. I'm going to do it. Screw Political correctness. Screw the opinions of others. Screw all of it.

As long as you don't hate someone for something they have no control over fine by me.

6footninja

Smash Ace
Because everyone is simply being ignorant and stuck up abut issues like this, I dont mind being called a cracker or whatever, it really doesn't effect me. Simply because its just a name, its meant in a bad way, but "negroes" is scientific, even if there is no need to use it, if somone does it shouldnt be a big deal. But that would be asking too much from the ever so sensitive America

WoapGang

Mighty Soul of Woapgang
3DS FC
3411-2904-8277
i guess that to sum it up, To call someone a negro would be like examining them in a zoo or something....people JUST DON'T SAY IT....If i were to go around and call every white person i saw Caucasian, would that make sense?

*wat about the asianz*

FunPhax

Smash Cadet
I thought it was perfectly fine calling them Negro up until my black friend punched me when I said it... and throughout my lifetime I thought it was inappropriate to call them black because I don't like being called yellow haha

Top Bottom