• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why did you start playing Ness?

Ademisk

Smash Champion
I just started visiting Smashboards and going through the Ness specific threads, I keep seeing people saying how they're "supporting the low tier character' or how they think Ness deserves high tier status. Anyway, it just got me wondering, what got everyone playing Ness in the first place.

For me it was just pure fandom. Earthbound is one of my favorite games, and I don't think I've ever once seriously played anyone other than Ness, and even if that makes me lower tier, and do worse in tournaments, I don't care because I feel that this type of game relies completely on fandom, if you don't like your character, not just his tier or his fighting style, then why use him? But that's me, I want to hear everyone else's opinion and experiences too.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
YYG, and only for the YYG.

I've only played a lil bit of Earthbound at my cousin's house when it came out years ago, and didnt care much for it (i was a kid back then), so im not a fan.

I dont care about the whole tier thing. I completely believe that pretty much every character below the middle of the mid tier (Doc/Jiggs area) comes down to opinion.

No offense, but i started giving a flip about ness when i saw a thread about the YYG, cause i was wondering how broken it is.

:-D Fun ensues afterwards.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
I started using him because I find him very challenging to master. Besides, marth and fox/falco are being played to death, that I grew to hate them.

I tend to go for the characters that are challenging to play. Also, Earthbound happens to be one of my all-time favorite games...

but I only RECENTLY tried to tackle the challenge of mastering him. I main with Doc, or did.

indie_dave

Smash Ace
  1. <3 classic 64 ness
  2. <3 melee ness
  3. <3 freakish learning curves
  4. <3 obscura, underrepped underdogs
  5. <3 s-class advanced jutsuz
  6. i <3 ur car. i <3 it a lot.
  7. <3 simna ^_^

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Because beating people with Ness is like beating them with Sandbag =P

And because Ness has SO amny undiscovered possibilities, which probably is the reason i was attracted to Samus (SWD).

SandStorm7

Smash Cadet
I chose Ness simply because he has a freaky double jump and double jump cancel. I like his pk thunder too. I dislike that he can't PKT2 as far as he did in smash bros 64. I also get sooo much satisfaction from hitting with pkt2 that I don't need to wn to be happy, just kill with that move. Also when he looks like a bumble bee he has the same Nikes as mine. I also like hitting with Dair even though its slow it also brings me some satisfaction. Also to be different than fox and sheik players. I also am really happy when I beat a sheik.

SandStorm7

Smash Cadet
I chose Ness simply because he has a freaky double jump and double jump cancel. I like his pk thunder too. I dislike that he can't PKT2 as far as he did in smash bros 64. I also get sooo much satisfaction from hitting with pkt2 that I don't need to wn to be happy, just kill with that move. Also when he looks like a bumble bee he has the same Nikes as mine. I also like hitting with Dair even though its slow it also brings me some satisfaction. Also to be different than fox and sheik players. I also am really happy when I beat a sheik.
I am aware of the run-on sentences.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
You're still not supposed to double post, especially for just quoting yourself.

___

But anyway. PKTricks are so frickin hilarious. I pulled off a few at a tourney saturday.

I'm waiting for a video of my ness from a few weeks ago to get uploaded.

It's gunna suck, but the ending will have you rofl'n.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
It's just fun to own my n0b friends. Half the time I play them, I ask them who they think is the worst character, then i pick him/her/it and own. Once someone said Peach. Another time I got jiglepuff.

SimaMatt

Smash Journeyman
Low tier ftw.

I like Ness because he's pretty unique and he's just really fun to play as, in my opinion.

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
I main Ness because he's such a fun character. I never had alot of experience with Smash 64 but I'm aware that Ness was broken in 64 and now he sucks. He's fun to play through. I luffles him.

BZZL

Smash Apprentice
While I enjoyed Earthbound, it wasn't really a reason I started to main Ness. Most of it has to do with loving him in Smash on N64 The rest is from the frustration it gave one of my friends - he couldn't stand that I could get away with the same move over and over for the longest time, and then I started taking Ness seriously. :D

Nevermind playing low-tier, I'm just happy to use a character I like well enough to recieve complements at tourneys. (and for some reason everyone's always amazed that I almost never miss my PK2 recovery)

_Crazy__Zero_

Smash Rookie
YYG for me as well.

But then when I started playing around with DjCs and PK thunder, I found that Ness was really good.

Angrylobster

Smash Lord
I've never actually played any of the earthbound/mother games. I mainly play ness because he has the most unique/fun moveset out of the cast. I also enjoy his learning curve, its pretty much perfect for me.

GildedPunch

Smash Ace
He's not the only character that can DJC, you know.
Mewtwo and yoshi.

I started using him in 64.( i was a total n00b so i didn't know advanced techs. )
I basically thought he was just cool. And then later I played earthbound and had a blast.
That's why I like ness!! And it's fun as hell to djc uairs on fast fallers!!!

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I DJC nairs with Peach. Like super close to the ground as you would with Ness. Nobody else seems to do this with peach though.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Yeah, float canceling is just so much faster, but a bit harder.

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
i started playing ness because i unlocked him and didnt know he was a character in the game

then i stopped playing Ness when i couldn't beat his Board the Platforms stage...

then i started playing ness again when i found out that pk thunder moved with the control stick^_^

GildedPunch

Smash Ace
i started playing ness because i unlocked him and didnt know he was a character in the game

then i stopped playing Ness when i couldn't beat his Board the Platforms stage...

then i started playing ness again when i found out that pk thunder moved with the control stick^_^
LOLs! Funny stuff!

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
The Learning Stages of Simna. Finding you can control PKT.

LaserBust

Smash Journeyman
I definatly started Ness cuz I was a huge fan of chainin multiple Fairs. Seriously.. I was chainin Fairs like a Mario chainin Uairs =D. Now I secondary him cuz I rly get bored with my top tiers.. Ness is overall my personal funnest character to play along wit the ICs.

Lucina Clash

Smash Apprentice
I played EarthBound since I rented a SNES and that was a while ago. I had to ditch it later on, stuck with my NES and Sega Genesis, and eventually got a Nintendo 64. I got the original Super Smash Bros. the year it came out. Since I was too young to recall who was who for some players (I didn't know who Link was, yet I have played the original Legend of Zelda; the hair colour screwed me up), I just played the game and just see what they do. I unlocked Ness, and at first, I thought, "Who's Ness?" After checking his profile... he was from EarthBound. Still, I played as whoever I wanted to play as; I was young and didn't give two craps about strategy at all.

I mastered Ness in Super Smash Bros. Melee. The reason other than I liked EarthBound was people underestimate Ness. The computer sucks as him, so people think he is just awful. I showed some friends what Ness could do. They were surprised because the computer never uses attacks right; PK Flash, PK Thunder, and PSI Shield mostly...

EDIT: Cleared up some confusion.

dan smith

Smash Champion
I take after my father, coming by only once every few weeks...usually drunk.

I'll be 'round more often though. I've started getting really excited about Brawl and I've even started smashing again.

Top Bottom