• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do I suck overall?

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
I can't understand. I've been training for a genuine while now, I've gone through most of the characters of the roster plus learning how to perform their ATs and I've seen countless tournament matches and some combo vids (though not always useful). I've read many useful threads in SWF and understood most of the info about characters and their competitive gains yet why do I STILL suck after ages of doing all of this? Why is the question which I simply cannot understand. I practised with MK for a while at first through fandom to find he was too good so I switched to many other characters and explored them all to a new level. Yet from many months ago to now, I still cannot win! I am just like the rest in which I never use items, I never spam and always use tactics which others sometimes use. I know what I'm doing is correct but there is some major fault in my play that is making me a terrible, terrible player. I just don't know what, of course. Can someone help me in any way? Psychology? Friendly training?

Thanks

HD

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Sounds to me like all you are doing is trying to copy everyone else's skill instead of actually having your own skill.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
The best way to win at this game is just being a good guesser. Predict your opponent, learn when to shield, proper spotdodging, learn your characters better, and develop your own playstyle.

Oh, and don't get hit.

Smash Master
Either not enough MK, too much rolling predictably, not enough patience, slow reflexes, not enough actual play experience, attacking too directly, bad matchups, or poor DI.

POKE40

Smash Lord
One good thing, after you master your stragety and gameplay, is counter picking. I'm quite sure you know this already though...
And use your character's best stage for your benefit.

Its all about location, location, location. Example: Cause you don't want to be G&W on Final Destination. Its like putting monkeys underwater.

SSJ5Goku8932

Smash Lord
Thanks to all of you. Anymore ideas? These were good suggestions so far
Find a character that feels right to you.
It makes you in a great state of mind, making your morale have a boost.

PT is that character, as I find so much fun and that he pwns.

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
Find a character that feels right to you.
It makes you in a great state of mind, making your morale have a boost.

PT is that character, as I find so much fun and that he pwns.
I tried PT once. I try to ignore tiers but when an mk player comes, **** i'm lost

SSJ5Goku8932

Smash Lord
Spam Rock smash lol.

just find that right character, and you are good to go.

In other words, forget what you saw in those videos, find your own style.

Tennet

Smash Champion
Just because you know all the characters/ ATs doesn't mean you will be instantly good, you need experience. Also you need to learn how to apply things even basics.

Grunt

Smash Master
yeah before i had ever searched here for character threads, AT's or anything like that, I had heard the infamous phrase "don't get hit". use this to mold your own play style with your character, then you can read threads and search videos for new things, but if you don't develop yourself first, you can't learn how to apply those things.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Have you been to tournaments? If you don't, then I don't think you can ever be good...and if you are, you'll never be noticed. Tournaments, practice, and playing lotsa human opponents is the way to go. Also, the AT's and videos are only good if you put the stuff you see into practice, and if you don't exactly play the same way as the person in the video, incorporate the ATs into your playstyle somehow. Don't copy the person exactly.

Also, find a character you like. Don't be afraid that people will judge you on your character. That's plain silly...if it's the character you like and enjoy and are good at, play that character.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
I don't TRY to get good, I just play the game and I get better on my own.
Video games aren't like sports, you can't really force yourself to be good at them.

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
Have you been to tournaments? If you don't, then I don't think you can ever be good...and if you are, you'll never be noticed. Tournaments, practice, and playing lotsa human opponents is the way to go. Also, the AT's and videos are only good if you put the stuff you see into practice, and if you don't exactly play the same way as the person in the video, incorporate the ATs into your playstyle somehow. Don't copy the person exactly.

Also, find a character you like. Don't be afraid that people will judge you on your character. That's plain silly...if it's the character you like and enjoy and are good at, play that character.
That's true. I still don't know what to do specifically, where to start

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I'd say to start at the very beggining: Choose a main, and a few characters to back your main up. (Or not, if you can only handle/like one character) You can always switch around the order of your characters too, it's not like you have to set it in stone. After that, learn the basics of your character. You know, the easy stuff that you first notice about the character. Fast, slow, bad shorthop, comboed easily, to name a few.

Any of the old stuff you used to do? Forget it, don't use it. (Unless you actually use that naturally, of course) Learn the character from the bottom up, and play a lot of friendlies to test things out. (Does Fair beat his Nair, etc.) Friendlies are one of the greastest ways to get better, and if you actually learn from the matches you will notice that. Then, you can watch videos and read guides. Slowly digest the things in the guide, test one AT or whatever at a time. I know that I personally can't hold a bunch of new info easily, I have to practice one a lot and then move on. Then, play more friendlies and apply all you have learned. Soon enough, you will be playing smart, reading your opponent and punishing thier mistakes. If you continue from there, you study match-ups and learn all you can basically. Ask a lot of questions on the character specific boards, and then you might even find yourself answering some questions you see...which is a good sign you are learning. If you don't know the answer to a question, stick around and wait for an answer!

Yeah, hope that helped a bit.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Pick a couple characters that you enjoy and practice with them. Learn the fundamentals of those characters. If you like MK, then what's the shame in playing him? Yes, he's top tier, but I'm an MK main, having picked up MK before I knew about tiers at all. Ultimately, it's supposed to fun, so... have fun with it.

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
I'd say to start at the very beggining: Choose a main, and a few characters to back your main up. (Or not, if you can only handle/like one character) You can always switch around the order of your characters too, it's not like you have to set it in stone. After that, learn the basics of your character. You know, the easy stuff that you first notice about the character. Fast, slow, bad shorthop, comboed easily, to name a few.

Any of the old stuff you used to do? Forget it, don't use it. (Unless you actually use that naturally, of course) Learn the character from the bottom up, and play a lot of friendlies to test things out. (Does Fair beat his Nair, etc.) Friendlies are one of the greastest ways to get better, and if you actually learn from the matches you will notice that. Then, you can watch videos and read guides. Slowly digest the things in the guide, test one AT or whatever at a time. I know that I personally can't hold a bunch of new info easily, I have to practice one a lot and then move on. Then, play more friendlies and apply all you have learned. Soon enough, you will be playing smart, reading your opponent and punishing thier mistakes. If you continue from there, you study match-ups and learn all you can basically. Ask a lot of questions on the character specific boards, and then you might even find yourself answering some questions you see...which is a good sign you are learning. If you don't know the answer to a question, stick around and wait for an answer!

Yeah, hope that helped a bit.
It certainly did.. Thanks :)

Arzengel

Smash Apprentice
Can you actually beat the CPU at lvl9? if you don't then... you truly suck.

So start from there. If you can BARELY beat them, thats still sucky, so keep at it.

After you've suprassed that level (in case you haven't, if you do, then stop practicing with the CPU, it actually makes you worse) start asking friends to play, play against GOOD PEOPLE, and you'll eventually get better.

(You'll gain both reflexes and "muscle memory" that way your fingers will operate more efficiently and at quicker rates)

Also i know your psychological state helps too, DON'T GET NERVOUS, its just a game, personally i did very bad at my 2nd tournament, i lost against a n00b which i had just beaten the day before! All cause i was nervous.

So be confident about your ability and forget about loosing, or else you'll just don't win.

ok i've talked too much.

trev94

Smash Journeyman
heres the thing{ ur trying to be like everyone eles. just play the game how U want to play try and make ur own skill and if ur looking 4 a chartcaer i would try kriby, mario, or pit

CasusLuciferi

Smash Rookie
i would definitely say specialize in a character now that you have tried a lot. don't worry about tiers. Sethlon got 9th at hobo 15 i believe going sheik. and having a join date doesn't mean anything, I've been playing for about 8 months and it says i joined this month, so? but you did say or not so it matters not :B.

friendly a lot, non-stop just for fun, but with good people. it'll come!

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
You must become one with the game young monk.
You must let the character be the boat and let the controller be your sail.
Do not think to hard and let your insticts guide you.
As Straked said its all about knowing whats coming and how to react in a situation.
The more you play the more that becomes a part of you, the less you have to think the better.
Also you may want to find just a few characters which you like most. Master one at a time.
Playing some melee and becoming good in that might help aswell, if your good in melee you may do better once you reajust to brawl. Everything becomes slower, and you have much more time to react. Its like the theory that if you wear heavy weights night and day for a long time, you will feel extremely light and fast when you remove them. The same may apply to melee and brawl. Also play a large variety of people. If you play against just a few people your skills are not likely to improve, you must challenge both more experienced players and less experienced players, as well as those equal to your skill. You learn a lot from all three. The most important thing though is not to doubt yourselff too much. Overconfidence is blinding and misguiding but too little confidence often results in loss, your mind automatically trys less hard when you dont believe in yourself.

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
Can you actually beat the CPU at lvl9? if you don't then... you truly suck.

So start from there. If you can BARELY beat them, thats still sucky, so keep at it.

After you've suprassed that level (in case you haven't, if you do, then stop practicing with the CPU, it actually makes you worse) start asking friends to play, play against GOOD PEOPLE, and you'll eventually get better.

(You'll gain both reflexes and "muscle memory" that way your fingers will operate more efficiently and at quicker rates)

Also i know your psychological state helps too, DON'T GET NERVOUS, its just a game, personally i did very bad at my 2nd tournament, i lost against a n00b which i had just beaten the day before! All cause i was nervous.

So be confident about your ability and forget about loosing, or else you'll just don't win.

ok i've talked too much.
I can defeat level 9 CPUs with my eyes closed even, genuinely. I just suck from there, playing humans

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
You must become one with the game young monk.
You must let the character be the boat and let the controller be your sail.
Do not think to hard and let your insticts guide you.
As Straked said its all about knowing whats coming and how to react in a situation.
The more you play the more that becomes a part of you, the less you have to think the better.
Also you may want to find just a few characters which you like most. Master one at a time.
Playing some melee and becoming good in that might help aswell, if your good in melee you may do better once you reajust to brawl. Everything becomes slower, and you have much more time to react. Its like the theory that if you wear heavy weights night and day for a long time, you will feel extremely light and fast when you remove them. The same may apply to melee and brawl. Also play a large variety of people. If you play against just a few people your skills are not likely to improve, you must challenge both more experienced players and less experienced players, as well as those equal to your skill. You learn a lot from all three. The most important thing though is not to doubt yourselff too much. Overconfidence is blinding and misguiding but too little confidence often results in loss, your mind automatically trys less hard when you dont believe in yourself.
Some great advice! Thanks. Of course a few other people have already said that but in an informal way. Now I should know what I am to do. Choose a character whom I would like, get used to all his/her basic moveset, try some training and then learn how to read your opponent then punish. Any more stuff?

Kage Me

Smash Ace
I have something. It seems to me like you are trying to apply ATs. Don't. Typically, the easier an AT is to perform, the more useful it is - short hop is useful, running u-smash is useful. Vanish Catch is highly situational.

What I'm trying to say is: don't build your play around ATs. It's good to know them, but you should learn to recognise an opportunity to use them, rather than trying to make those opportunities.

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
I have something. It seems to me like you are trying to apply ATs. Don't. Typically, the easier an AT is to perform, the more useful it is - short hop is useful, running u-smash is useful. Vanish Catch is highly situational.

What I'm trying to say is: don't build your play around ATs. It's good to know them, but you should learn to recognise an opportunity to use them, rather than trying to make those opportunities.
Well I did imply that I KNEW the ATs and not that I tried to use them all the time or at least once in a match. Perhaps I should be a bit more situational though. I think that could just be a minor trait in my play, I think.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I can defeat level 9 CPUs with my eyes closed even, genuinely. I just suck from there, playing humans
Something to keep in mind... humans play a lot differently than CPUs. It's more difficult to predict how a human player will react as opposed to a CPU. My advice to you would be to get some friends over (or random people in Best Buy?) and play against them.

황미영

Smash Champion
I didn't read what everyone else said but if no one else has said this then... You have to play to win! If you don't you will most likely lose.

woody72691

Smash Ace
actally i kinda did the same thing in melee but found my own skill with falcon's shffl nairs. i was like a god with it and shuffleing knees. maybe u should try sticking to one character for now and training a little more idk i'm not sure

Top Bottom