• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do Japanese Players do it?

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I sometimes get on in the mornings to play, and I have played MANY Japanese people...

And something I've noticed is...they almost NEVER stick around for more than one match.

A lot of non-Japanese players I play against, I often go up against several times before they move on.

IDK if it's just me, or if anyone else has noticed this. Maybe it's a strategy they use to have experience against more people?

Spirst

Could be their frustration at any lag they may be perceiving when they see a name with English characters. Hasn't been true in my experiences however as the Japanese players I've faced have typically stuck around.

Kohak

Smash Apprentice
They may not want to deal with lag. They'll fight you once out of respect, but because you have an English name they'll dump you to find other japanese players with a better connection.

That's my guess. Whenever I see a Japanese name in the character select screen I just drop out cause it might be laggy

Edit: also, in my experience early on, japanese players are the only ones who will SD twice at the beginning of the match if it's too laggy. Us Americans usually just deal with it and button mash through it all haha

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I doubt it, as my matches are usually quite lagless.

...I mean, considering it IS Japan, it's pretty lagless overall XD

IDK, it might be that...though it happens whether they win, whether I win, whether it's close, etc XP so it was kind of a mystery to me.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
.......Ya know, I never thought of it that way.

*goes hide in a corner*

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Perhaps they prefer to always fight different people instead of fight only one over and over again?

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
I've always wondered that myself, wether they win or lose they just leave, my philosophy is that anyone can beat anyone once, and when they sd or vice versa I find it annoying when they leave.

Maybe they just play the game more sparingly than we tend to

popsofctown

Smash Champion
I doubt it, as my matches are usually quite lagless.

...I mean, considering it IS Japan, it's pretty lagless overall XD

IDK, it might be that...though it happens whether they win, whether I win, whether it's close, etc XP so it was kind of a mystery to me.
Do you live in Japan? I've heard legends about the connection quality in Japan, so maybe Japan vs. Japan games are a much higher quality than "lagless" US vs US games or US vs Japan games that seem to be going ok. They could be really sensitive to it.
I doubt they want to fight a variety of people much more than we do or that they hate english speakers

Ampetrix

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Christopaz
3DS FC
4527-8084-1972
Meh, I believe they're trying to spread salt to us with English names by winning and leaving after a match.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I have played with Japanese players online, and I haven't encountered very much lag with them for the most part. Some of them even stick around for more than one match.

I think it all depends on who you end up playing with, and how good your connection is. If you're at a spot where your 3DS has a strong connection to your router, with the 3DS being charged as well, then you shouldn't have too much trouble with lag.

PerryGriffith

Smash Rookie
Not sure if you hinted at this earlier, but are you beating them pretty handily? Are all of the Japanese players you play against bad or pretty good? Might just be that they are looking for better match-ups skill-wise.

Dyz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dyz-89
3DS FC
1950-9945-5854
same here this issue has happen to me a few times, but not enough to make me think they are that much different, out of all of my matches Very few japanese players had a bad connection, likewise for those who have left on the first match, they do at least stick around for a few matches, heck i even had someone who just kept switching characters every single match, my guess to get more experience againts the Yoshi match up or my Megaman, since they couldnt beat me with any of their characters,

as for them winning and then just leaving this has actually happen to me more often with non Japanese players than i have for actual Japanese players, i must admit its very salty for me to lose and then just watch them leave, especially if i was using someone else other than Yoshi, i must admit though i have grown a deep Hate againts Ness, his throw and Fair legit combo is ridiculous, and one time i got the same throw>Fair combo from a sheik againts my Little Mac, this one i felt less salty because its understandable, but the Ness combo just grinds my gears

Last edited:

linkez

Smash Cadet
It is lagless, but it's not delay free. What happens to me with people from japan is that the game runs smoothly but inputs are really delayed... and it's even worse than lag sometimes xD
when this occurs, if they do not leave, i am the one leaving

SaturnFrost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SaturnFrost
I avoid Japanese players at all cost in FG...Well to be more specific people not in the US. Games are just as linkez described (latency to the max) so most of the players roll spam and spam down smash all game when you attempt to punish.

Last edited:

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
ALL the games I have against Japanese players have so much lag/delay (I live in Ireland so thats probably why lol) so it's usually me who leaves after one game. Sometimes the lag/delay is so horrible that I can't even stand playing so I just SD and move on.

Pryze

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Apollon1an
More often than not, they don't even stick around for a game, they just leave the immediate second they see that I have a English name. I presume that they tend to get a lot of lag when playing foreigners, or something along those lines.

obeymalleo

Smash Ace
NNID
obeymalleo
3DS FC
2595-2443-7489
I sometimes get on in the mornings to play, and I have played MANY Japanese people...

And something I've noticed is...they almost NEVER stick around for more than one match.

A lot of non-Japanese players I play against, I often go up against several times before they move on.

IDK if it's just me, or if anyone else has noticed this. Maybe it's a strategy they use to have experience against more people?
Happens to me as well. I think it's because Japanese players expect for people not in their region to have lag.

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Personally, people with Japanese names have been more likely to play me for long sets (+7 matches) than English names.

Also, I'd just like to point out that there are Japanese players who play under English names as well as Japanese people outside of Japan. I'd hope the distinction between "Japanese" and "People who play under a Japanese name" would be respected.

Anthon1996

Smash Ace
NNID
AnUglyBarnacle
3DS FC
5301-0385-3871
Today, while I was on a For Glory practice stage, six consecutive players with Japanese names connected before disconnecting almost immediately. Pretty amusing.

Last edited:

CrimsonFireWolf

Smash Cadet
NNID
CrimsonFireWolf
3DS FC
0490-5298-4357
Switch FC
5802 6387 3309
i've play a lot of Japanese players, it mix of one match or long set of Multiple matches.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986

good god I've been wanting to post about it but haven't gotten around to it but..
yeah it's true.
if they beat you, even if it's a very close match, they'll leave immediately.
however if you beat them, they'll stick around indefinitely, some of the time.

there's been some exceptions, but very rarely.
just glad im not hte only person who noticed this.

MugenLord

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MugenLord
3DS FC
4339-2485-7226
Same experience for me, most Japanese players I have faced either Win or Lose. They will only play one match and then move on and I had plenty of lagless matches with them. I thought I was the only one going through that.

Top Bottom