• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Why do people hate the 3DS Smash Bros. so much?!?!

S

Sharic X

Guys, just consider this. Brawl was about 6.2 GB and a 3DS cartridge can hold 8GB. Therefore, I think the 3DS can handle Smash Bros. quite well.

Especially if we take a look at the masterpiece we call Kid Icarus Uprising.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
The storage space argument against the 3DS version is mind-bogglingly foolish. The only reason Brawl even had to be dual-layered is because of the pre-rendered cutscenes. Hell, even the actual game's aesthetic components are going to be considerably smaller because the system isn't as powerful so the aesthetics are going to be simpler than Melee or Brawl.

And just for the record, Melee was like 1.5GB.

The biggest issues people should have against the 3DS version is that it splits the resources available to develop the game, and that the 3DS has an inferior controller setup to something like the WiiU Controller Pro, so if both games have similar mechanics engines, then the game is going to be hindered by that. (Lightshielding, I miss ye.)

Malcolm Belmont

Smash Ace
NNID
King Joffery
Honestly the biggest reason why Sakurai is doing SB 3DS is Sales. The WiiU version is not going to sell nearly as much as the 3DS so it makes sense to have one on the 3DS..Thought i would be fine with a Remake of Melee on the 3DS with Online Play while the WiiU gets the next game in the series

ryuu seika

Smash Master
They're different and both have their own merits, I'd be good with either.
I would, however, like to see what Sakurai would do with an enhanced port of 64 since I doubt he'd be the type to skimp on additions and it has a lot more space for them than Melee.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
It would've been cooler if both versions had exclusive characters. It would give more incentive to get both.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Remaking old Smash Bros games is redundant, IMO. VC ports with online play would be cool, but adding new characters to old games just means they may as well make a new one, especially since each game has stages from past installments.

S

Sharic X

Honestly the biggest reason why Sakurai is doing SB 3DS is Sales. The WiiU version is not going to sell nearly as much as the 3DS so it makes sense to have one on the 3DS..Thought i would be fine with a Remake of Melee on the 3DS with Online Play while the WiiU gets the next game in the series
I remember reading an article where Sakurai stated that at first he wanted to make Super Smash Bros. for 3DS only, because he liked the hardware, courtesy of his experience with it during the development of Kid Icarus Uprising. But that was only the icing on the cake.

He felt the 3DS could deliver a new experience to Super Smash Bros. fans, what with it being on a handheld. Then he decided on the Wii U version too, because the previous games in the series have all been on a home console, plus the game could boost sales. He initially went for the 3DS version first, probably due to his hand injury, and the 3DS version would be easier to develop.

ConnY

Smash Rookie
It's silly. Obviously it won't be able to compete with the Wii U version on all aspects but I really do believe it will be an awesome game. I won't be getting a Wii U before more awesome games are released for it and Smash won't win me over to get it. Besides the 3DS is doing so much better than the Wii U so to me there's more of a reason to get the 3DS version. Also, I'll be able to play it wherever I want with my friends, it will be awesome. I actually look forward to the 3DS version a lot more than the Wii U one.

If I want to play a console version, I rather spend my time with Project M rather than this.

Droß

Smash Apprentice
As a relatively casual consumer, I see no reason to get the WiiU or its SSB4 version unless the entire competitive scene revolves around it, or it blows the 3DS version out of the water in terms of gameplay quality. The barrier to entry on the WiiU version is much higher than the 3DS version simply because of current adoption rates on each and the price of the game on each console.

For those of you worrying about the capabilities of the 3DS, don't. Asset file sizes scale in proportion to available resources, and code files by themselves are rather small. The only thing to watch is the GPU rendering; it's possible that 4 players and heavy item usage might cause frame drop. However, it is unlikely that the game will pass into a final version in such a state, given how Smash games tend to be delayed until they're ready.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
As a relatively casual consumer, I see no reason to get the WiiU or its SSB4 version unless the entire competitive scene revolves around it, or it blows the 3DS version out of the water in terms of gameplay quality. The barrier to entry on the WiiU version is much higher than the 3DS version simply because of current adoption rates on each and the price of the game on each console.

For those of you worrying about the capabilities of the 3DS, don't. Asset file sizes scale in proportion to available resources, and code files by themselves are rather small. The only thing to watch is the GPU rendering; it's possible that 4 players and heavy item usage might cause frame drop. However, it is unlikely that the game will pass into a final version in such a state, given how Smash games tend to be delayed until they're ready.
I guarantee the competitive scene will ignore the 3ds version.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Do you have any reasons why you say that? I'd like to debate that point with you, but it's tough to do that when there's no supporting details. :(
I just figure that the controls will probably be better on the wii u version. Plus like i don't know... I just assume all the hardcore Smash players will gravitate to the HD version. :p

Droß

Smash Apprentice
I just figure that the controls will probably be better on the wii u version. Plus like i don't know... I just assume all the hardcore Smash players will gravitate to the HD version. :p
They may, although I personally haven't had any ergonomics problems back when I owned a 3DS XL; my only concern on that system is the circle pad thing, particularly with consideration to durability and ease of use for high level play.

The ultimate tug of war between the 3DS and WiiU versions will involve at minimum the following:

1) Price
  • Current console adoption rates
  • Cost of the game itself
  • Cost of the consoles and any peripherals needed to play
2) Ergonomics
  • Control Ease of Use
  • Availability of controllers
  • Current adoption rate
3) Spectator Friendliness
  • Graphical fidelity
  • Audio fidelity
  • Pace of play
4) Gameplay
  • Mechanical depth
  • Ease of learning
  • Stage Design
  • Character design
5) Hardware
  • Framerate stability
  • Input response latency
  • WLAN and LAN latency
The overall winner of the tug of war will likely dominate the competitive scene from release until something causes a massive shift in these factors.

R0Y

Smash Master
Guys, just consider this. Brawl was about 6.2 GB and a 3DS cartridge can hold 8GB. Therefore, I think the 3DS can handle Smash Bros. quite well.

Especially if we take a look at the masterpiece we call Kid Icarus Uprising.
Those cards are prohibitively expensive...

We've already seen that Sakurai will be cutting back on tracks compared to Brawl in the 3DS version for this reason, probably won't have FMV either which takes up even more room.

Jem.

Smash Master
I don't hate it at all. I assume Smash 4 Wii-U will be the tournament standard though.

And I have big hands and my hands cramp up after an hour or so of playing on the 3DS. So I'm much more excited for the prettier graphics and getting to use the pro controller so my hands won't cramp up.

I am much more excited for Smash 4 on the Wii-U, but I definitely will be playing it on the 3DS until then.

Last edited:

onjai_x3

Smash Cadet
NNID
onjai_x3
I'm looking more forward to the 3ds one, I just hope they don't skimp out on some of it's features (the "two music tracks per stage" thing kind of hit me hard, since the music makes the stage, for me atleast).

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
It seems a lot of people are put off by the graphics and screen size. But like a lot of other people in this thread I have no problems with either.
XL isn't even necessary since there are pros and cons to each 3DS version IMO.

Last edited:

Smash G

Smash Journeyman
Because people irationally think that the 3DS will make the roster small. When evidence has been provided multiple times that this is not the case.
The only evidence on the subject is Sakurai literally saying that the 3DS might limit the roster size. :/

Kerreb17

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0619-4010-5392
The only evidence on the subject is Sakurai literally saying that the 3DS might limit the roster size. :/
I don't remember where, but he stated that the roster wouldn't change between versions. Only the stages and certain game modes would change, if I recall correctly.

PKNinja95

Smash Ace
NNID
AKninja95
3DS FC
3351-4567-0361
I honestly think both versions will be awesome. Might need the Circle Pro(assuming they're supporting it) since my hands are big. Can't wait for Summer

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
I feel like the 3DS version is going to be competitively overshadowed in tournaments for a few reasons.
  • Streaming. 3DS capture cards cost far too much for every Tournament Organizer to install and would make streaming the game a goddamned nightmare. Especially if controls are personally mapped to each 3DS instead of each game card so we'd have even more time in-between matches just for setting up.
  • Cleanliness: Also if every tourney has a set of 1 or 2 3DS systems with capture cards installed dedicated to streaming, that **** is going to be nastier than a public toilet handle by the end of the day with everyone's sweaty hands all over it. Kleenex wipes are about to be a tourney standard.
  • Smash DI: We don't know if this is in either game but the lack of a 2nd analog stick hints that there's nto Smash DI in the 3DS version. If the Wii U does have it, then that's a game-changing difference.
  • Frame-rate: We won't know this until the game comes out, but with assist trophies moving at 30 frames per second, who's to say that other items or projectiles won't? What if we have to control 30 frame per second projectiles like Pit's arrows or Pikmin in a 60 fps game? How much easier can you break out of Charizard's Flamethrower if it's 30 FPS when you have a 60 FPS character?
It will have some presence early on since it will be the only Smash 4 for a while but once the Wii U version comes out, I don't think the 3DS will be viable for tourneys. Wifi tourneys or friendlies would be fine but I can't see the 3DS being remotely viable on a regional or national tourney level for those reasons.

And you all can pick apart the frame rate thing or even DI point all you want, I already said they're not confirmed, it's just a possible concern. The first two however are very real concerns.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The main point for me is that any practice on 3DS will apply to the Wii U version. 3DS players can still enter Wii U tournaments as the two games have the same mechanics as far as we know. Unless this isn't the case, 3DS players just won't have a problem with competing in a Wii U tourney.

3DS version will be great for friendlies at tournament events though.

TheLegendOfVenusaur

Smash Apprentice
Because people irationally think that the 3DS will make the roster small. When evidence has been provided multiple times that this is not the case. e_e The only problem with the 3DS is that it has limitations on characters such as ICs, meaning if they can't get around that problem those characters will probably jsut become single ones instead of having a AI or something like that, but they probably won't allow the Wii-U version to get held back to those limitations. People just inherently think handhelds are worse and hold back the console version no matter what. They should be glad they are even getting a console version as I believe Sakurai thought about going handheld only for a while. lol
If they can work Rosalina and Luma onto the 3ds version, I'm sure they'll be able to add the Ice Climbers.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
"The reality of the situation unfortunately is that there are certain limitations on the 3DS. So we're forced into the situation where we may need to reduce some characters to a certain degree, but we're really working hard in order to include as many characters as possible." - Sakurai, E3 2013
http://tay.kotaku.com/challenger-approaching-special-how-limiting-is-the-3-1161037380/1185403655

He didn't necessarily say that the roster SIZE would be limited by the 3DS version, just that certain characters would have to be designed to make sure they still work on 3DS.

LucidDreamGod

Smash Cadet
Personally the 3ds version might be the only version I care about. Come on it's a portable smash bros, that in it's self is amazing. I was actually quite afraid that the 3ds version would be scrapped early on. Although brawl can be improved upon, I just sort of see the wii u version as another brawl. I don't know about everybody else but I like to have the game right in my face, it feels more personal, and I prefer to lay down well playing video games. I like the idea that I can take it around with me.

I loved mario kart 7, but never really got into the wii version. The main reason I was excited about brawl though was the online, and that sucked, so yes, I probably will get the wii u version eventually. Also I hope this new version is more combo friendly than brawl was, seemed like I could never quite dominate in brawl no matter how good I got.

Last edited:

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
Only thing that bothers me is that people keep saying that the 3DS version is like a demo and the Wii U would be the more complete version. If anything I'm more than sure that Nintendo would try to make both versions equally as good. I'm one of those guys who would prefer the 3DS version because of portability and 3D even though I won't use it competitively. I do have an 64 emulator on my phone and play smash 64 but it kinda gets old every time I think about the 3DS version.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I imagine the 3DS could potentially be considered as a finished beta test and then updated when the Wii U comes out to fix various problems regarding balancing issues, minor changes to gameplay, technical glitches, etc.

But yeah I don't understand the 3DS hate either.

Yeeeeeah....he never said that. Would you happen to have a source for this?

Last edited:

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Only thing that bothers me is that people keep saying that the 3DS version is like a demo and the Wii U would be the more complete version. If anything I'm more than sure that Nintendo would try to make both versions equally as good. I'm one of those guys who would prefer the 3DS version because of portability and 3D even though I won't use it competitively. I do have an 64 emulator on my phone and play smash 64 but it kinda gets old every time I think about the 3DS version.
People treat it like a demo version because it won't have as much content. I'm pretty sure the Wii U will have more content, but not where it will make the 3DS seem like a demo. I doubt the people who are gonna play Smash competitively are gonna care about the extra content anyways.

Top Bottom