• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do people like Jigglypuff so much?

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Seriously, what is with the J-man's popularity, he's one of the lamest characters, but people cannot get enough of him! seriously though, im not sayin y'all are nuts for likin him, I just dont find him as an important character to the series. He coulda been replaced with like Sora, or Shadow or some amazing newcomer. Thats jus my thought.
lol, you really killed your self when you said third party characters instead of first party over Jigglypuff. XD

But your question, I'm sure many people in this thread just answered it, Jigglypuff is one of the well know Pokemon out there. Also, in the world of Smash, there is no lame character . =p

Sychu

Smash Apprentice
This thread is proof that the Brawl section is all 12-14 year olds who's first console/Handheld was the Wii/DS.
I'm 18 and my first system was the SEGA GameGear that i received when i was 7 followed by a SNES and Genisis. Food for thought:confused:?
In regards to Jiggs she is Kirbys girlfreind/love interest so of course; Sakurai will always keep her.

BrawlTilDawn309

Smash Cadet
lol, you really killed your self when you said third party characters instead of first party over Jigglypuff. XD

But your question, I'm sure many people in this thread just answered it, Jigglypuff is one of the well know Pokemon out there. Also, in the world of Smash, there is no lame character . =p
i did kill myself with that, but that is jus who i'd like to see, not my fault people dont like it, and i shouldnt care if they do. but i appreciate the polite responses on here, tho, like this one.

BrawlTilDawn309

Smash Cadet
ok im about done with this topic, like i stated b4, i do not hate jigglypuff, maybe i jus didnt give her enough play time when i had SSB64 or when i play melee. in 5 days ill give her a fighting chance (wow that was a bad pun) thanks for the response.

Monshou_no_Nazo

Smash Journeyman
Jigglypuff is popular because it has the characteristics of something that would be disliked, but people want to give it hope, thus popularity. That, and Japan loves cute things.

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
Dude. Imagine pwning someone with a freaking weak (read: powerful) pink puffball! I mean, sure, you could do the same with Kirby, but at least Kirby has proven to be a freaking force to be reckoned with! Jigglypuff though?

Owning someone with Puff-Fu is just hilarious.

Linkster47

Smash Apprentice
Jigglypuff is a fun and good character. Many people have come to like Jiggs for its style, and I think it's a better character than Shadow the Hedgehog. That game was awful, one of the worst I've played besides the CDi games.

Krell

Smash Journeyman
I was going to come in here with a serious reply about why Jiggy is the man, but after seeing mention of the name Sora in a positive light, I lost any respect for OP.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Jigglypuff might be what you would call Smash Bros' first "advanced" character. For a time no one knew what Rest actually did, and they all found it to be useless. It didn't help that the official guides and such said that it let Jiggly heal damage. Jigglypuff was considered by people to be a bad character.

So those privileged few in the early days of Smash 64 who discovered the terrifying power of Rest were able to shock and amaze audiences.

And then in Melee Jigglypuff became some kind of ridiculous DBZ-level air combatant. Which people liked.

Kirby M.D.

Smash Journeyman
whats wrong with sora and shadow? u got any better suggestions mr. wise guy?
Ooh, ooh! Pick me!

You're and A troll for one. How about Stop and Posting? Also Proper capitalization and Is your friend. I for one would love it if Kill and Yourself were in, nobody really likes them except me.

Arteen

Smash Lord
Jigglypuff was probably the fastest playable character to implement in all of Brawl, she's a two-time veteran, and she has a fun, unique moveset. That's why she's back, I'd guess. She was such a fun character in Melee, so I'm glad she's back.

RednaXale

Smash Apprentice
Sora?? LOL! That'd be the day...

Anyways, Jigglypuff the character is actually pretty good. Why it's one of the popular pokemon? I've not a clue.

xl Lan lx

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I love the puff! Favorite character! :D

Fun to play, and I don't even need Rest to win which makes kids go "O.O" whenever I own my friends with him! ^_-

(And on a side note, Jigglypuffs can be males and females, so I say him :O )

Xgamer245

Smash Cadet
.....people like JigglyPuff???
Thats new to me....
If you had a choice...
Pikachu or JigglyPuff
Choose 1!
me= PIKA PIKA :D

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
Jigglypuff should have been cut in Brawl, her only form of popularity was through the TV show, which she is no longer on. Saying the fact that she's been around since 64 is no excuse, It's good to keep Nostalgia, but some things just need to be updated, like the cuts from Melee to Brawl.

Spellman

Smash Ace
I only wanted J-puff back because he is one of the original veterans.

However, his appearance in Smash Bros. clashes too much with Kirby's, I find.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
Jigglypuff should have been cut in Brawl, her only form of popularity was through the TV show, which she is no longer on. Saying the fact that she's been around since 64 is no excuse, It's good to keep Nostalgia, but some things just need to be updated, like the cuts from Melee to Brawl.
QFT
You can't cut Jiggs on account of awesomeness.
Is Mewtwo more awesome than Jiggs? No? That's right.
Unlike Jiggs, Mewtwo served importance in the First Generation as the most powerful Pokemon. Mewtwo possessed unmatched power and is a legendary Pokemon, possibly the most powerful. Now I don't think popping out of a bush and putting people to sleep just to draw on their face, is anywhere near awesome. Jiggs is washed up, no where to be seen nowadays, while Mewtwo is still adored in the Pokemon community and wanted back in Smash.

Joshua368

Smash Apprentice
hay guyz i dont like falcos to much either wouldnt it be graeat if he was taken out and replaced with my DREAM ROSTER of favoritests characters?!!lol

No. Seriously. No.

(Though, from a strict relevance standpoint - ignoring moveset and Smash64 nostalagia - I personally think Mewtwo was more deserving than Jigglypuff. But then again we're dealing with a roster with the likes of Mr. Game & Watch and Ice Climbers... relevance isn't exactly a top priority in some cases.)

greenblob

Smash Lord
That's irrelevant 'cause Jiggs is awesome.

You can try to cut Jiggs, but you'll just come across a wall. Of pain.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
hay guyz i dont like falcos to much either wouldnt it be graeat if he was taken out and replaced with my DREAM ROSTER of favoritests characters?!!lol

No. Seriously. No.

(Though, from a strict relevance standpoint - ignoring moveset and Smash64 nostalagia - I personally think Mewtwo was more deserving than Jigglypuff. But then again we're dealing with a roster with the likes of Mr. Game & Watch and Ice Climbers... relevance isn't exactly a top priority in some cases.)
Mr. Game and Watch is basically what got Nintendo started, Ice Climbers is also part of what I call the "Retro Movement", which happens to be relevant in some way.

blooagga

Smash Journeyman
I love Jiggs I used to main him. But I would of actually liked to see Pichu in Final smash would defiantly be either giga pichu or landmaster of the yellow variety.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
IIRC, Jigglypuff is to Japanese what Pikachu is to the Americans: The most popular 1st generation Pokémon. I've been told that Pit was originally slated to be in SSB64 but that he got bumped off by Jiggz because of her popularity.

Zevox

Smash Lord
IIRC, Jigglypuff is to Japanese what Pikachu is to the Americans: The most popular 1st generation Pokémon. I've been told that Pit was originally slated to be in SSB64 but that he got bumped off by Jiggz because of her popularity.
Really? I'd heard it was because of difficulties animating Pit's wings combined with the ease with which Jiggly could be implemented by copying much of Kirby's basic design that lead to the switch.

Zevox

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace

No. Seriously. No.

Falco is another case.... his character has lost the majority of his popularity... heck, he wasn't very important in the first games to begin with. He has been replaced with the Nintendo signature love interest, Krystal. Krystal deserved the spot more than Falco did, seeing that her appearances lately have had more significance than Falco's...

Also, you can't use the excuse that Krystal represents the downfall of Star Fox, all you hardcore Star Fox fans who have been around since the original, me included, can't just be selfish and say that the originals are the only good ones and the newer ones aren't as good because they're not the same, things need to be changed up a bit, like the Zelda series which all have similar stories except for the cell shaded ones, the handheld ones, 2, TP which is still kinda similar, and the CD-I ones which don't really count.

Like it or not, the newer ones are popular amongst a lot of fans and have sold more copies than the originals.

Zek

Smash Ace
Jigglypuff has popularity, both as a highly iconic Pokemon and as a Smash character. According to the poll in this very forum she places above Bowser, Donkey Kong, Ganondorf, Ice Climbers, and Mr. Game & Watch. Should we remove all them too? Don't confuse your own preferences with everybody else's.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
Jigglypuff has popularity, both as a highly iconic Pokemon and as a Smash character. According to the poll in this very forum she places above Bowser, Donkey Kong, Ganondorf, Ice Climbers, and Mr. Game & Watch. Should we remove all them too? Don't confuse your own preferences with everybody else's.
And the reason she places so high is only b/c of how the other characters turned out and b/c of mainly 1 B move. That's it, you take that B move away and she has nothing. All those characters you mentioned are more important to their series than Jiggs is to Pokemon.

Monshou_no_Nazo

Smash Journeyman
People also likely hate Jigglypuff as a scapegoat to blame for their favorite characters not getting in. Again, Jigglypuff is too popular for it to be cut.

pwnzorz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ABlackMage
3DS FC
0103-9129-9741
1.) the jigglypuff song. (duh)
2.) jiggly's down+b
3.) best pokemon other than Pikachu in Japanese culture.

Top Bottom