• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do people like Jigglypuff so much?

greenblob

Smash Lord
And the reason she places so high is only b/c of how the other characters turned out and b/c of mainly 1 B move. That's it, you take that B move away and she has nothing. All those characters you mentioned are more important to their series than Jiggs is to Pokemon.
You forgot to take into account Jiggly's awesomeness.

TwilightKnight

Smash Cadet
When I found out it returned in Brawl I just shrugged it off, I don't care if it returns but it doesn't change the fact that I flat out despise that stupid excuse of a Pokemon. I hated the thing ever since it's appearance in the anime, Jigglypuff and Wigglytuff suck in the Pokemon games for those who don't know.

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
Jigglypuff has popularity, both as a highly iconic Pokemon and as a Smash character. According to the poll in this very forum she places above Bowser, Donkey Kong, Ganondorf, Ice Climbers, and Mr. Game & Watch. Should we remove all them too? Don't confuse your own preferences with everybody else's.
Kids now-a-days who are just getting into Pokemon with Diamond and Pearl, even kids who got in with Ruby and Sapphire don't know the significance of what Jiggs once had. Not to mention Sakurai said no Anime characters, and while Jiggs was originally a vg character, her popularity came from the show itself. Jiggs is no longer important in her own series, while those characters are.

And popularity didn't save Mewtwo and Roy, not to mention Pichu, Dr. Mario, and Young Link who essentially got changed to Toon Link but Young Link could have come back as Mask Link...

greenblob

Smash Lord
1. Other than being on the boxart, not really...
2. I rarely see Pikachus, at least in the tournaments I go to.
3. All the time because everyone knows that she's awesome. I've never been to a tournament in which there was at least one other Jiggly player.

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
And Pikachu's popularity came from . . .
While his popularity came from the show, I have to give him a better benefit of the doubt, seeing as his popularity is still around. Also he gained vg popularity through Pokemon Yellow, and was also the one Pokemon that stuck out the most in the original American/European Pokemon commercial for Blue and Red. Also, even though his popularity comes from the show just like Jiggs did, Pikachu is still on the show being one of the main characters. Because of this, Pikachu is associated with Pokemon to many people around the world even to this day, so Pokemon representation without it's long running mascot would be silly and a slap in the face to many Pokemon fans.

Also if you go to Japan, Pikachu's popularity reigns over Jiggs, he's still everywhere, even my tour guide had a Pikachu plushy that she used to allow the group to keep track of her.

Fodder

Smash Apprentice
I have to agree w/ everything greenblob has said on his posts. Jiggs is not awesome just because of her double-edged sword, but because of these reasons IMO:
1. she has one of the best airgames in melee (can't say anything for Brawl as I have not played it yet)
2. If she can pull off a pound (<B) before she gets blasted off the screen, she will recover.
3. The insane priority of pound
4. (relatively) no one uses her, thus making her hard for others to fight against due to lack of experience.
5. People think she is weak, thus making victory all the sweeter.
6. Rollout is a great paranoia move in free-for-alls, once people hear her scream "Jiggly!" they scatter quick.

Those are my own reasons for liking, and maining, her.

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
It's not a question of why to main her or play her. No doubt she is a good and unique character. It's what is her significance today? Why does she deserve to be in Brawl? Other than her history with Smash, none. She is no longer popular enough to represent her series. Smash represents what Nintendo is about, and Jiggs plays so much of a minor role in that now-a-days, especially compared to many other characters.

Senshuu

Smash Journeyman
I always wondered the same thing, but evidently back in the day, Jigglypuff was the #2 Pokemon in Japan.

ConeZone

Smash Ace
i don't know why jigglypuff is so popular. but she is my favorite from the smash series, i have no beef with her

Pretty In Pink

Smash Cadet
Jigglypuff is deserving of a spot because she is one of the original 12 from Smash 64.

If you are looking for someone who shouldn't be in the game...

Lucario, ROB, and Falco = undeserving

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
Jigglypuff is deserving of a spot because she is one of the original 12 from Smash 64.

If you are looking for someone who shouldn't be in the game...

Lucario, ROB, and Falco = undeserving
I agree with R.O.B. and Falco, but Lucario was the someone who represented the next generation of Pokemon who gained popularity when the characters were decided on in 2005.

I don't believe though character should just stay in because they were there since the original. Ness was going to be replaced by Lucas in Melee but wasn't because Mother 64 was canceled. Why he wasn't this time around, I'm not sure???

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
Jiggs IS a major part of the series.

And besides, I like him a lot. Not a super good character, but a funny one that's good to play with friends (ooohhh, joo got REST'D!!!)

Sora? Shadow? Pff, hell no, they would be horrible in Brawl. It's all a matter of opinion. And my opinion is: Jiggs rules.

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
Jiggs IS a major part of the series.

And besides, I like him a lot. Not a super good character, but a funny one that's good to play with friends (ooohhh, joo got REST'D!!!)

Sora? Shadow? Pff, hell no, they would be horrible in Brawl. It's all a matter of opinion. And my opinion is: Jiggs rules.
Is she important, name me one new episode she's been in for the past 5 years, or name me one reason she sticks out in front of the other hundreds of pocket monsters in the game???

Zek

Smash Ace
It's not a question of why to main her or play her. No doubt she is a good and unique character. It's what is her significance today? Why does she deserve to be in Brawl? Other than her history with Smash, none. She is no longer popular enough to represent her series. Smash represents what Nintendo is about, and Jiggs plays so much of a minor role in that now-a-days, especially compared to many other characters.
Who cares? What's the significance today of Mr. Game & Watch, Ice Climbers, Pit, ROB? Jigglypuff has them all beat.

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
Who cares? What's the significance today of Mr. Game & Watch, Ice Climbers, Pit, ROB? Jigglypuff has them all beat.
They signify Nintendo's past with those characters being the highlights of their own franchises.
G&W symbolized Nintendo's steps to not only handhelds, but home consoles themselves, to allow gaming away from the arcades.

Ice Climbers, not sure what to say about them, but they do represent a classic Nintendo franchise, which never got off.

Pit had two or three games, and is still popular. I feel he might get a new game soon in some form.

R.O.B. has no excuse other than WTF. He should have been included IMO
He's not even a game character, he was a game accessory like the Zapper, Super-Scope, and the Power Glove.

greenblob

Smash Lord
If you're making a case for popularity, Jigglypuff is much more recognizable than most of the cast.

And need I remind you again that Jigglypuff is awesome?

2L84U

Smash Journeyman
I thought SORA was the name of the company which made this game ??

Jiggs is a tribute the the SSB64, and shes too cute to hate.

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
If you're making a case for popularity, Jigglypuff is much more recognizable than most of the cast.

And need I remind you again that Jigglypuff is awesome?
Was popular, her popularity from then might still be there, but it's no longer there to pick up any more steam.
As for the last remark, that's pure opinion.

Ichida

Smash Ace
Because the anime won't let the joke die. Jigglypuff is Pokemon's pie-in-the-face running gag.

MIRAI87

Smash Journeyman
Seriously, what is with the J-man's popularity, he's one of the lamest characters, but people cannot get enough of him! seriously though, im not sayin y'all are nuts for likin him, I just dont find him as an important character to the series. He coulda been replaced with like Geno, or Ridley, or even Mewtwo. Thats jus my thought.
Fixed.

10ofthem

Pretty In Pink

Smash Cadet
There is no way a character like Geno would make it into Brawl. He is overrated and doesn't even fully belong to Nintendo. He was a support character from an old Mario game and would probably never come up in a Nintendo franchise again. Even ROB is more deserving than him.

Back on Topic: Jigglypuff may have lost her importance, but popularity and moveset are probably the main reasons she's in besides being one of the original 12. She is as WTF character with a unique moveset that can't be replaced by any other Pokemon/Nintendo character.

I do agree that characters like Krystal and Ridley should be in Brawl, but they should not replace such a valuable member of the Smash cast. Instead, characters like Wolf or Falco should have been replaced by Krystal and Ridley/K Rool. Not only are they clones, but they are too conflicting... Fox fans do not like Falco, Falco fans don't like Wolf, etc. Krystal would have been an amazing and unique character being able to weild staves and magic. She's also a female... but I'm getting off topic again.

Ichida

Smash Ace
There is no way a character like Geno would make it into Brawl. He is overrated and doesn't even fully belong to Nintendo. He was a support character from an old Mario game and would probably never come up in a Nintendo franchise again. Even ROB is more deserving than him.
Support? Geno's character was at the very core of the story! At least Geno originated from a Mario game, unlike Sonic or Snake who made it in.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Unlike Jiggs, Mewtwo served importance in the First Generation as the most powerful Pokemon. Mewtwo possessed unmatched power and is a legendary Pokemon, possibly the most powerful. Now I don't think popping out of a bush and putting people to sleep just to draw on their face, is anywhere near awesome. Jiggs is washed up, no where to be seen nowadays, while Mewtwo is still adored in the Pokemon community and wanted back in Smash.
You're ignorant. Jigglypuff's artistic talents with drawing has inspired many aspiring artists all over the world. Her art has influenced the way artists see their art, and has improved the quality of art overall.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
There is no way a character like Geno would make it into Brawl. He is overrated and doesn't even fully belong to Nintendo. He was a support character from an old Mario game and would probably never come up in a Nintendo franchise again. Uh, he was the only original character from SMRPG that even appeared in another game in some form. He makes a brief cameo in Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga but even that is more then anyone else has. Really, the fact that people still like him and still want him to reappear in another game after 12 years of not having a playable role is pretty significant. Really, it that matter, how is Geno any different from Pit?Even ROB is more deserving than him. ROB didn't deserve jack and the reason for his addition was to be nothing more then a WTF character. Really, Sakurai made the roster in the course of two days and quickly chose ROB when he found out that there really wasn't anyone else that could genuinely fall on this level besides Mr. Game and Watch. That's all there is to it.

Back on Topic: Jigglypuff may have lost her importance which is ironic because she never truely had any, but popularity and moveset are probably the main reasons she's in besides being one of the original 12. She is as WTF character with a unique moveset that can't be replaced by any other Pokemon/Nintendo character.

I do agree that characters like Krystal and Ridley should be in Brawl, but they should not replace such a valuable member of the Smash cast. Instead, characters like Wolf or Falco should have been replaced by Krystal and Ridley/K Rool. Not only are they clones, but they are too conflicting... Fox fans do not like Falco, Falco fans don't like Wolf, etc. Krystal would have been an amazing and unique character being able to weild staves and magic. She's also a female... but I'm getting off topic again.
Responses in red.

billywill

Smash Journeyman
Well jiggly fits my play style. And then there is people like you who think jiggly sucks and when i beat them with jiggly it is funny to watch them get mad

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Really, I don't like Jiggly either and the character's significance is laughable at best. Sakurai, however, pretty much confirmed at GDC two weeks ago that significance plays an almost non-existant factor in deciding which characters become playable which I suppose this explains why Jiggly is still there and why ROB was added. Oh well...

Top Bottom