• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do people NOW care about Roy and Mewtwo?

Puffs

Smash Ace
There is a problem when it takes until the THIRD game for the main character of a video game to get into Smash, because a bunch of anime characters have higher priority in the eyes of the GAME DEVELOPERS. At least Mewtwo has a significant backstory in Red and Blue. But he's still a minor character compared to the GUY YOU PLAY AS THE WHOLE GAME.

Should Dr. Escargon have gotten in before Dedede? Will Rick Wheeler get in before any other F-Zero rep? SALLY ACORN CONFIRMED FOR SSB4!

I'd also prefer the in-game cries used for Pokemon instead of the anime voice, personally.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Well, the FireRed/LeafGreen Trainer isn't necessarily the main character of the entire Pokemon series....

Also, if Pokemon used their in-game voices, then Jigglypuff's Sing would look really awkward and Pikachu's ROFL taunt would be pretty lame.

kuro06

Smash Cadet
Mew2's popularity had to do with the movie as well, not saying he wasn't popular at all without the movie but it was the main reasons why he became huge to begin with during the time. Deny if you want but I remember me and my friends going crazy during the commercials when Mew and Mew2 were shooting energy blasts like in dbz. It was great when I first saw the movie when Pokémon was at its prime. His popularity went down after the years went by, but he is one of the top favorite Pokémon of all time.

Believe it or not but, Lucario popularity was rather huge in the games due to the fact he was one of the best non legendary Pokémon out there to have on your team. He has an AMAZING movepool for a fighting Pokémon and overall great offensive stats as well. Many Pokémon fans alike like him and he just screamed to be a smash character.
We could say mew2 and Lucario both became very popular from the movies/anime, hell we could say the same thing about for all the legendaries (excluding Lucario) thinking about it.

I know this is my first posts but i've been reading through these threads for awhile to see that many people hate Lucario and think he's some random Pokémon that became popular because of some movie which isn't true. He has a good fan base, I think you guys are being a bit too harsh on him. I think he should stay and mew2 as well should make a comeback. Both brought original movesets and even though mew2's wasn't all that good I think with some MAJOR improvements, next game he could at least be mid tier/high tier.

Meccs

@Meccs_
When have people not cared about Mewtwo, one of the most-awesome pokemon in the franchise? I'm sure it's been said but Lucario replaced Mewtwo because he's (Lucario) popular now. One of the reasons some people complain is, well, nobody expected Mewtwo to get cut... He may not have been very good, but he was still really cool...

Black/Light

Smash Master
One word: anime!

Yeah, they could've worked. But I think they've all missed their chance by now.
Thats what I was saying. Why would they have a chance in hell now? By the next smash we will be on our, what, 5th - 6th gen of pokemon?

Mew2's popularity had to do with the movie as well, not saying he wasn't popular at all without the movie but it was the main reasons why he became huge to begin with during the time. Deny if you want but I remember me and my friends going crazy during the commercials when Mew and Mew2 were shooting energy blasts like in dbz. It was great when I first saw the movie when Pokémon was at its prime. His popularity went down after the years went by, but he is one of the top favorite Pokémon of all time
The thing is, the reason he had a movie (actually, more than one) is because he was important in the games. He had a fully fleashed out back story and was super strong. . .he was everyone's goal-to-get pokemon at the end of the game to prove their skill and was soo strong that he birthed the "dark type" as a way to even things out.

Even today his is still one of the strongest and fastest pokemon and he is seen alot in player's compative teams (he is one of those pokemon you will always see in those types of teams).

Mew2 was popular and important in the games which resulted in his movie being a logical thing to do. Lucario, on the other hand, was movie seen first and thats whee his fame lays.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
The thing is, the reason he had a movie (actually, more than one) is because he was important in the games. He had a fully fleashed out back story and was super strong. . .he was everyone's goal-to-get pokemon at the end of the game to prove their skill and was soo strong that he birthed the "dark type" as a way to even things out.

Even today his is still one of the strongest and fastest pokemon and he is seen alot in player's compative teams (he is one of those pokemon you will always see in those types of teams).

Mew2 was popular and important in the games which resulted in his movie being a logical thing to do. Lucario, on the other hand, was movie seen first and thats whee his fame lays.
Quoted for truth.

It would be so ironically sweet for Lucario to get cut. Many Lucario fans act like Mewtwo is worthless, but then Lucario would suffer the same fate as Mewtwo smash-wise, and then they will all be complaining like we Mewtwo fans are complaining...

Finding Waldo

Smash Apprentice
I think the new replacements of Lucario and Ike are much better. I have no problem with them in the place of Roy and MewTwo at all.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Haven't you heard? Lucario is the next big thing with the kiddies that the franchise is now appealing too, and we all know that they know what's best for Pokemon.

FAILchion-

OH HE'S SO PRINGLES
The Final Countdown is now playing in your head.
Roy can burn in hell, he sucked in both Melee and in FE6. Mewtwo, however, I was shocked he was cut. Totally unlike Sakurai to scrap a unique character, while at the same time, he's cloning the spacies' B moves. I want Mewtwo in SSB4, but I don't want Lucario out. I wanted Lucario before I even knew Mewtwo was out. Lucario's easily said, the best rep for 4th gen, since he was so popular (not even counting the movie). Furthermore, I really hate it when people put so much hate on Lucario because Mewtwo's not in. Just because they share the same B move, doesn't mean Lucario replaced him.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
Mewtwo, however, I was shocked he was cut. Totally unlike Sakurai to scrap a unique character, while at the same time, he's cloning the spacies' B moves. I want Mewtwo in SSB4, but I don't want Lucario out. I wanted Lucario before I even knew Mewtwo was out. Lucario's easily said, the best rep for 4th gen, since he was so popular (not even counting the movie). Furthermore, I really hate it when people put so much hate on Lucario because Mewtwo's not in. Just because they share the same B move, doesn't mean Lucario replaced him.
No Lucario did not literally replace Mewtwo, Mewtwo was scrapped late into development, but that's what he STANDS as. I guess it's hard to put into words. If Mewtwo returned via DLC, I would have no reason to dislike Lucario because he would no longer be his replacement...

Steelia

Smash Champion
Because in the good old days back in 2nd grade, having a Mewtwo in your team meant that you were the god of your class. I remember beating everyone in my class with a team of Mewtwo, Zapdos, Moltres, Articuno, Snorlax, and Charizard. Back in the day, Mewtwo was undoubtedly the strongest Pokemon, and his popularity was met with the first Pokemon Movie too. I still have my Pikachu card that has the Pokemon the Movie seal on it.

Mewtwo was an amazing character choice to represent Pokemon, but Sakurai made him SUCK in Melee. We'd rather have a crappy Mewtwo character in Brawl than not have him at all.

Really... Sakurai gave the god incarnate of Psychic pokemon the psychic equivalent of Ember; Confusion. And then there's Disable...? What the hell! Mewtwo was a LEGENDARY Pokemon, and even after 400+ additions to the Pokemon series, Mewtwo continues to be one of the greatest Legendaries in the series.

There's little excuse as to why Mewtwo didn't receive Psychic (Psychic Pokemon's equivalent of a Fire Pokemon's Flamethrower), Swift, Barrier, or the following attack that Mewtwo used against Mew in Pokemon the Movie.

Besides, according to the Pokedex, Mewtwo weighs 269 lbs, making him a heavy weight. And then Mewtwo was inaccurately portrayed to be slow, which he was absolutely not. Mewtwo's base speed in Pokemon was 130, making him the 8th fastest Pokemon in the whole universe, according to this list: http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-dp/stat/speed.shtml

People didn't play Mewtwo because Sakurai both portrayed him inaccurately and made him completely blow. If Mewtwo was actually portrayed accurately and was actually a worthwhile character, then many players would play as him.

It's incredibly stupid of Sakurai to make Mewtwo suck, then remove him when people dislike playing as Mewtwo. Well of course, people didn't like playing as Mewtwo because Sakurai made him suck!
I applaud you for everything you've just said, especially the end.

Mewtwo people are so ticked NOW because no one thought he'd be cut in the first place. Heck, even I thought for a moment he'd return! I was maining him and everything in Melee... It just makes it feel like a waste, and a slap in the face, which pisses me off more than anything. I cannot even look at Brawl without thinking of what Mewtwo could've been in it. He was completely disgraced in Melee by Sakurai's hands, and wasn't even given the chance to redeem himself. Unacceptable. That's just bull. I don't care that he had some nice little data found in the Brawl discs... Can I play him with that data? Can I hear that data? Can I SEE that data moving, maining, winning, losing? No, no, and no.
Eheh... This has become personal... somewhat of a grudge against Sakurai for ruining such an epic and powerful Pokemon, then giving him the boot after he'd finished kicking dirt and spitting on him. Being the [obvious] Pokemon fan that I am, I just found it very disrespectful as to how Mewtwo was portrayed in Melee. :mad:
I'll end now that I have the chance. Trust me, I can get so much deeper into this. :p

As for Roy... he's my 2nd-most missed cut character. I don't know a lick of Fire Emblem, but I really don't have to. This guy was an awesome SMASH character. I don't care if he came from a bad game, or was a bad character from said game... he's in an alternate universe here, where even the most failage of characters can become the most iconic fighters.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
Mewtwo people are so ticked NOW because no one thought he'd be cut in the first place. Heck, even I thought for a moment he'd return! I was maining him and everything in Melee... It just makes it feel like a waste, and a slap in the face, which pisses me off more than anything. I cannot even look at Brawl without thinking of what Mewtwo could've been in it. He was completely disgraced in Melee by Sakurai's hands, and wasn't even given the chance to redeem himself. Unacceptable. That's just bull. I don't care that he had some nice little data found in the Brawl discs... Can I play him with that data? Can I hear that data? Can I SEE that data moving, maining, winning, losing? No, no, and no.
Eheh... This has become personal... somewhat of a grudge against Sakurai for ruining such an epic and powerful Pokemon, then giving him the boot after he'd finished kicking dirt and spitting on him. Being the [obvious] Pokemon fan that I am, I just found it very disrespectful as to how Mewtwo was portrayed in Melee. :mad:
I'll end now that I have the chance. Trust me, I can get so much deeper into this. :p

As for Roy... he's my 2nd-most missed cut character. I don't know a lick of Fire Emblem, but I really don't have to. This guy was an awesome SMASH character. I don't care if he came from a bad game, or was a bad character from said game... he's in an alternate universe here, where even the most failage of characters can become the most iconic fighters.
STEELIA! IT'S YOOOUUUUUUUUUU!!!

Anyway, Quoted For GREAT JUSTICE.

Also, see this thread for epic win: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=190076&highlight=mewtwo&page=12

FAILchion-

OH HE'S SO PRINGLES
The Final Countdown is now playing in your head.
No Lucario did not literally replace Mewtwo, Mewtwo was scrapped late into development, but that's what he STANDS as. I guess it's hard to put into words. If Mewtwo returned via DLC, I would have no reason to dislike Lucario because he would no longer be his replacement...
Exactly my point. And sadly, there won't be any DLC for Brawl, unless they make a Brawl Channel, similar to MKW's Channel. I guess he'd be playable there.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
Exactly my point. And sadly, there won't be any DLC for Brawl, unless they make a Brawl Channel, similar to MKW's Channel. I guess he'd be playable there.

*ahem*

YOU ARE A FREAKING GENIUS.

Seriously?! Why didn't I think of that?!

PKSkyler

Smash Lord
:ohwell: I meant it, sillyums...Nintendo should do that...
Yeah I agree....EVERYONE wants more characters, even if you (I dont mean YOU specifically)dont really care its not like if they had a free download of like 3 new characters then you wouldnt get it.

Steelia

Smash Champion
STEELIA! IT'S YOOOUUUUUUUUUU!!!

Anyway, Quoted For GREAT JUSTICE.

Also, see this thread for epic win: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=190076&highlight=mewtwo&page=12
Wa-hey, woopyfrood. Didn't notice you were a member 'ere. XP

PKSkyler said:
Yeah I agree....EVERYONE wants more characters, even if you (I dont mean YOU specifically)dont really care its not like if they had a free download of like 3 new characters then you wouldnt get it.
Hear, hear. I would love to get more Smashing characters, from the most obscure possible choices to the baddest of the bad.
But, if Mewtwo were not included as a choice... I would be a little iffy on it. Sure, I would love the new characters, but I'd never be satisfied until they returned old favorite Myuutsu to the Smashing grounds. A Smash game just isn't complete without him, ever since his introduction into Melee. And wasn't he supposed to be one of the "Original 16" as well? If only he had been part of the original roster... he could have been immortalized and not suffer the fate he did (being the "worst" Melee character/being cut from Brawl). If only, if only.

Puffs

Smash Ace
Wa-hey, woopyfrood. Didn't notice you were a member 'ere. XP

Hear, hear. I would love to get more Smashing characters, from the most obscure possible choices to the baddest of the bad.
But, if Mewtwo were not included as a choice... I would be a little iffy on it. Sure, I would love the new characters, but I'd never be satisfied until they returned old favorite Myuutsu to the Smashing grounds. A Smash game just isn't complete without him, ever since his introduction into Melee. And wasn't he supposed to be one of the "Original 16" as well? If only he had been part of the original roster... he could have been immortalized and not suffer the fate he did (being the "worst" Melee character/being cut from Brawl). If only, if only.
Sometimes the most obscure choices ARE the baddest of the bad.

AmigoOne

Smash Journeyman
Only Majora's Mask.

But just a small chime in, I liked roy, fun stuff. Didnt really care for him though.

And Mewtwo actually added a little depth to pokemon, taking a break from the extremely happy go lucky, being the genetically cloned, altered pokemon thats instable, confused and trying to find purpose in life since he is only a clone. Nothing else in pokemon ever came close to my memory. Then again I don't really keep up with that -__-

What does Lucario have? Aura? Please.

PKSkyler

Smash Lord
Sometimes the most obscure choices ARE the baddest of the bad.

HELL YES

And Mewtwo actually added a little depth to pokemon, taking a break from the extremely happy go lucky, being the genetically cloned, altered pokemon thats instable, confused and trying to find purpose in life since he is only a clone. Nothing else in pokemon ever came close to my memory.

Did you know Mewtwo is based off of Giegue from Earthbound Zero/MOTHER 1?

....I knew it.

Pubik Vengeance

Smash Journeyman
Mewtwo should be on the roster, Roy shouldn't. Roy dyed his hair blue and now he fights for his friends, and changed his name to Ike. Keeping Roy the way he was in Melee is just more "lolclone-"fest.

Mewtwo though, was a unique character with unique moves. He should have been buffed and made relevant in Brawl.

~rh

Smash Lord
People care about Roy and Mewtwo now because they are not in Brawl. Crap like Ganon and C Falcon made people wonder how they would play if they were in Brawl.

But they'll never find out ;p

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Nope, actually, Roy can turn out to be an excellent Lord depending on your luck. He is probably a very unpredictabe Lord like to predict his final stats. ( I got a really blessed Roy, guess i'm lucky) And yeah, moveset unique... and such, Ike's moveset at least had time to be worked in. Believe me, Roy has a moveset potential, way different than marth.
Oh. My. God. You don't know how to play Fire Emblem at all. Fire Emblem is not about how you got lucky. Roy a terrible character in his game. Mid tier at best. There is only ONE thing that makes him usable, and that's his supports with Alan and Lance. Everything else about him is pretty bad before you factor that in, and he doesn't promote until super late, meaning he's always lagging behind most of your army without rescue support (with the exception of garbage tier knights and generals).

Roy for the most part is holding back your team by being a mediocre mandatory character.

If you don't believe that Roy is a terrible character, look at his stats. His speed isn't very good until you invest a lot of EXP into him and everything else except luck and res are below average until he promotes. http://fea.fewiki.net/fea.php?character=roy&game=6

Let me emphasize, the Bandits on Chapter 1 HM have 7 AS, which is identical to Roy's starting speed. Sucks for Roy. He won't start doubling those, or doing very significant damage to them for that matter until level 11 and after he waits for supports to kick in. If I recall, some calvary units DA him early in the game, which can kill him in one round if he doesn't dodge. Roy isn't very good at scoring kills early in the game (although he might have a rapier to help him deal damage to various enemies), meaning it's truly an issue to get him to a point where he can reliably fend for himself.

And worst of all, Roy totally doesn't know anything about women. =/

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
Oh. My. God. You don't know how to play Fire Emblem at all. Fire Emblem is not about how you got lucky. Roy a terrible character in his game. Mid tier at best. There is only ONE thing that makes him usable, and that's his supports with Alan and Lance. Everything else about him is pretty bad before you factor that in, and he doesn't promote until super late, meaning he's always lagging behind most of your army without rescue support (with the exception of garbage tier knights and generals).

Roy for the most part is holding back your team by being a mediocre mandatory character.

If you don't believe that Roy is a terrible character, look at his stats. His speed isn't very good until you invest a lot of EXP into him and everything else except luck and res are below average until he promotes. http://fea.fewiki.net/fea.php?character=roy&game=6

Let me emphasize, the Bandits on Chapter 1 HM have 7 AS, which is identical to Roy's starting speed. Sucks for Roy. He won't start doubling those, or doing very significant damage to them for that matter until level 11 and after he waits for supports to kick in. If I recall, some calvary units DA him early in the game, which can kill him in one round if he doesn't dodge. Roy isn't very good at scoring kills early in the game (although he might have a rapier to help him deal damage to various enemies), meaning it's truly an issue to get him to a point where he can reliably fend for himself.

And worst of all, Roy totally doesn't know anything about women. =/
I know this isn't directed at me, but I am SURE I speak for MANY people who like Roy when I say:

I've never played an FE game.

I don't give a flying crap about how Roy was in the games.

I JUST THOUGHT HE WAS COOL. IS THAT SO BAD, SAKURAI? IS THAT SO BAD???

"Once a Smash Brother, always a SMASH BROTHER." --Steelia

Who here got Melee, had NO idea what Fire Emblem was, and thought MARTH was a clone of ROY?

cjrocker

Smash Ace
*too lazy to quote*
A2ZOMG, this isn't a Fire Emblem discussion board.
Woopyfrood, if anything, people thought Roy was a clone of Marth because they unlocked Marth first.

Puffs

Smash Ace
What about us FE scrubs who simply liked Roy's design better? Don't get me wrong, Marth's pretty cool. But Roy just has a charm with the blue/gold armor and red hair that she lacks. Although, I like Marth's sword better than Roy's.

Steelia

Smash Champion
I know this isn't directed at me, but I am SURE I speak for MANY people who like Roy when I say:

I've never played an FE game.

I don't give a flying crap about how Roy was in the games.

I JUST THOUGHT HE WAS COOL. IS THAT SO BAD, SAKURAI? IS THAT SO BAD???

"Once a Smash Brother, always a SMASH BROTHER." --Steelia

Who here got Melee, had NO idea what Fire Emblem was, and thought MARTH was a clone of ROY?
< Wow, I've been quoted? XD >

Hear, Hear to just about everything you said in this post, woopyfrood.
Personally, I've never played any Fire Emblem titles either, so I could've cared less how he worked in them. But, I guess the Fire Emblem fans have a say in this one... though really if I were a Fire Emblem fan I would've found Roy's amping as doing him justice as it represents Fire Emblem well (whereas Mewtwo's portrayal was just pathetic and disrespectful to the Pokemon franchise).
Still, you have to give Roy SOME credit. Had it not been for his (and Marth) being popular in Melee, Fire Emblem probably wouldn't have seen any farther than Japan's shores. And with Roy being cut... I'm sure that was a slap in the face to the now-Fire Emblem fans who became Fire Emblem fans BECAUSE of Roy.

That's just what I think, anyway.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
I didn't take Mewtwo for granted. I savored every match and thanked the cruel smash gods for his inclusion in Melee. My world began falling apart as soon as that Lucario movie came out. Because I knew Mewtwo would be replaced in the newer, less fortunate generation of trainers and swept under the rug in favor of what's popular. Because with the rest of the game doing its best to avoid anime influence, Nintendo makes one franchise exception just to make a buck.
Bump 'N' Quote FOR GREAT JUSTICE.

Chepe

Smash Lord
Well, at least we know that Mewtwo was heavily favored by Sakurai, if voice clip data and a Classic Mode completion image still exist in the game's code (anyone actually seen that one?).

And if that British Magazine "The Official Magazine" interview is true, then it could even be the Pokemon Company that had the most influence in seeing Mewtwo booted in favor of Lucario. He apparently said they were very hard to deal with since they needed to know every detail before they agreed to anything. I have a feeling that Sakurai knew eventually that he couldn't have both Mewtwo and Lucario in, and that the Pokemon Company favored Lucario over Mewtwo...

Sniper12688

Smash Rookie
1 of the best melee player in Usa is M2K, and he main's mewtwo. Ppl just didn't pick him cuz they were to lazy to get better at him. I think every char have their strong and weak points u just have the make the strong points show more.

.Marik

is a social misfit
I kinda liked both. And I do prefer Roy over Marth or Ike. Lucario, however, is so much better than Mewtwo. But still, they shouldn't have taken anybody out. Okay, maybe Pichu. That's it. >_>

Justblaze647

Smash Lord
Running for my life in the forests of Eelong
This entire thread is easily summed up with one statement: people need something to ***** about... constantly. Of course the people who are complaining now were Fox mains in melee, and they are MK mains now. I'd personally take Roy any day over Ike (just give him his own moveset), but I do think that Lucario is a vast improvement over Mew2.

Top Bottom