• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do people NOW care about Roy and Mewtwo?

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Wow. All I said is that it seems unlikely, given the connections between Diamond/Pearl. I never insulted you or anything. Geez.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Ice Climbers are excused due to being classified as retro, although they're still VERY undeserving even for retro. They wern't popular, they were totally unknown, unlike Pit who had some fanboys supporting his inclusion. Ice Climbers may as well be a Smash Bros. original character.

Wolf would've been introduced earlier if Starfox 2 actually came out. In any case, Falco is more generic then Wolf and less important to the overall plot line. He could be removed and very little would change. Had there been no last minute clones in Melee, he'd never of been in Smash. Yet this last minute clone somehow made it over Mewtwo, which is ridiculous in my eyes. The only reason he made it back is popularity in Smash from being top tier while Mewtwo was bottom. It's disgusting. It's not Falco who earned this popularity or Mewtwo who earned that scorn, it was Sakurai who forced it upon them by inevitably creating tiers, whether or not he intended to. Mewtwo's lack of being in Brawl the game is from poor balancing in Melee (Not that Brawl is any more balanced.).

My fellow Mewtwo supporters, please also shout out for a balanced game with your voices so a terrible incident like this doesn't happen again.

As for Toon Link, making sense being a clone doesn't excuse one from being a clone. A unique moveset could be made for anyone, it's just harder for some then others. Toon Link easily could've used other Zelda weapons from Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass and what not, as well as other weapons regular Link just simply doesn't use. The only reason people aren't all against him as much as I am is because he's high tier. Toon Link isn't that popular outside of Smash, as most people prefer the more mature graphic style. The only reason he's in is to give Zelda 4 characters. While Toon Link is a terrible choice, the other choices are even worse.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Ice Climbers are excused due to being classified as retro, although they're still VERY undeserving even for retro. They wern't popular, they were totally unknown, unlike Pit who had some fanboys supporting his inclusion. Ice Climbers may as well be a Smash Bros. original character.
I don't see any reason why this labels this a undeserving. In fact, I'd say you just nailed the opposite of that.

Seriously, outside of Smash, no one would probably know about most characters or games. Mario, Pikachu, and maybe Link or Donkey Kong. Most people I asked at school and game stores knew about Metroid or Star Fox through magazines, but never played a game.

it was Sakurai who forced it upon them by inevitably creating tiers, whether or not he intended to.
I was browsing through when I saw this. Thankfully, I read the rest in context to make sure I wasn't just assuming.

Toon Link easily could've used other Zelda weapons from Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass and what not, as well as other weapons regular Link just simply doesn't use.\
That's my biggest gripe, except for taking stuff from Minnish Cap or Phantom Hourglass. As far as I'm concerned, those games never happened.

Steelia

Smash Champion
~Longish rant~

My fellow Mewtwo supporters, please also shout out for a balanced game with your voices so a terrible incident like this doesn't happen again.

As for Toon Link, making sense being a clone doesn't excuse one from being a clone. A unique moveset could be made for anyone, it's just harder for some then others. Toon Link easily could've used other Zelda weapons from Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass and what not, as well as other weapons regular Link just simply doesn't use. The only reason people aren't all against him as much as I am is because he's high tier. Toon Link isn't that popular outside of Smash, as most people prefer the more mature graphic style. The only reason he's in is to give Zelda 4 characters. While Toon Link is a terrible choice, the other choices are even worse.
For the first half... the Ice Climbers... I really do believe they'll be staying. If I recall, weren't they the most requested "Get back in Brawl" characters?

As for Falco, I'm pretty divided on that one. I think the number of Star Fox characters is fine the way it is. Adding in Krystal is pushing it, given Star Fox isn't THAT popular of a franchise to have 4 reps (and the games have kind of dwindled since Star Fox 64, in my opinion). But once Krystal's in, we pretty much have all the bases for Star Fox characters covered, so...

As for shouting out, yes, I believe we should do that. Or just replace Sakurai with another more balanced director who actually LISTENS to fans instead of making pre-made lists and asking us for our favorite characters to make it seem like he's listening. Jeez.

Toon Link had a LOT more potential than being some meager clone... I mean, Wind Waker's an amazing title to the Zelda franchise, and he uses some interesting weapons. His grab easily could've been his Grappling Hook (it would've been pretty neat to "charge" it for more grappling range). His forward-B could've been the Skull Hammer... his Up-B the Deku Leaf... his down-B even Bombchus. Ehh. His B-move, can't really complain, though. :p
Hopefully in the next Smash installment (I'm hoping he returns, personally) he could have the Phantom Sword and use the Phantom Hourglass as his Final Smash... That'd make him a bit more unique and non-clone-ish. Unlike Landmaster Falco.

That's my biggest gripe, except for taking stuff from Minnish Cap or Phantom Hourglass. As far as I'm concerned, those games never happened.
Minish Cap, I've never played, so I can't say much there.
But Phantom Hourglass, isn't that bad. As I noted above, if Toon Link were to return, it would be neat to give him the Phantom Sword and have the Phantom Hourglass as a possible Final Smash, as opposed to him carrying the Master Sword and having the (Toon) Triforce Slash. -_-

disgusting
1st & 2nd > rest of them......
3rd one was weak, they went too far and made 4th, and they're gonna go further and make 8th.
Erm, I was talking about the REGIONS, like Johto, Kanto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh, NOT the Pokemon generations. I figured there'd be someone who'd read that wrong. :dizzy:

woopyfrood said:
Steelia, I just remembered something.

There's still a little bit of Mewtwo in the finished game. No, it's not that gawd-awful trophy.

You know that rumor that the fiery area in the Castle Siege stage was meant to represent Roy's area, but of course he ended up getting cut?

I've also heard that the cave part of Spear-Pillar was supposed to represent Mewtwo's domain.
...Actually, I don't think I've ever heard of either of those, not even the Roy thing. :p
Still, that would be an interesting subliminal message, if you will... So would Marth have the top-half and Ike have the middle-half, while Roy would have the bottom-half? Interesting. Makes sense, I suppose.
As for Mewtwo... mehhh, I could believe it, now that you point it out... but I don't think Sakurai and team would bother to go THAT far in their hidden messages.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master

Wolf would've been introduced earlier if Starfox 2 actually came out. In any case, Falco is more generic then Wolf and less important to the overall plot line. He could be removed and very little would change. Had there been no last minute clones in Melee, he'd never of been in Smash. Yet this last minute clone somehow made it over Mewtwo, which is ridiculous in my eyes. The only reason he made it back is popularity in Smash from being top tier while Mewtwo was bottom. It's disgusting. It's not Falco who earned this popularity or Mewtwo who earned that scorn, it was Sakurai who forced it upon them by inevitably creating tiers, whether or not he intended to. Mewtwo's lack of being in Brawl the game is from poor balancing in Melee (Not that Brawl is any more balanced.).

Don't you think the Ice Climbers are cool for their two-person fighting style? :(

Don't forget about the other likely factors for Mewtwo's removal as well *coughpokemoncompany*. Can't blame it all on Sakurai.

Toon Link had/has a lot of fans and was a highly requested character. That's all I'll say about that.

Emperor Mario

Smash Cadet
Toon Link deserves to be in in my opinion, in fact I prefer him over Young Link. It's just that he deserves a better name, he should've been called Wind Waker Link rahter than Toon Link.

kuro06

Smash Cadet

Yes Iceclimbers were hardly ever heard of until smash..but either way that doesn't mean their undeserving...Your main points are that you want orginality and Ice climbers brought that..it same for Game and watch. Falco isn't much of a generic character as much as most of the other people in Starfox so he's staying as for the reasons I stated earlier. Just because a character was popular only in smash doesn't mean they should be taken out period otherwise Falco wouldn't be the only one cut. Tiers are going to happen if your going to make a character different in some way otherwise all of the characters will be pretty much the same. Roy was highly popular in smash and was picked more than mewtwo despite the fact that he was in the lower tier but he was removed anyways.

Toon link was actually really highly requested and is a popular character outside of smash with all the merchandise such as a toys and even his own manga. Yeah they could have done a few changes to make him a bit different from the mature link but I promise you he would have been similar to regular link with some of his A moves.

Falco or any last minute clone you speak of has nothing to do with Mewtwo being kicked seeing how most of the clone characters from melee were already in along with Mewtwo.
Sakurai doesn't have all the rights to the character rooster, it was gamefreak was involved with Mewtwo being cut.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Mewtwo was always fun to use in Melee and TBH I never doubted he would be in Brawl, especially since he's a famous Pokémon and he deserved a place.

I think we were all hoping for a big Mewtwo comeback with Brawl. Buffed Mewtwo would be instantly win.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Mewtwo was always fun to use in Melee and TBH I never doubted he would be in Brawl, especially since he's a famous Pokémon and he deserved a place.

I think we were all hoping for a big Mewtwo comeback with Brawl. Buffed Mewtwo would be instantly win.
I hear that.
Either Mewtwo returns in the next Smash title, or whomever is responsible of the adding and cutting of Pokemon characters from the Smash games is going to meet a rather
abrupt
and
unsatisfying
end.
:mad:

...Just not by my hand. :p

Steelia

Smash Champion
Deoxys Vs. Giegue

BATTLE OF THE TENTACLE MONSTERS.
...Well, that was certainly random. XD

Though Deoxys was my most supported to be in Brawl (much to my dismay, him, Lyn AND Mewtwo never made it to playable status, blast it all), I'd go for Giygas. You just can't beat the "Ultimate Idiot"/Embodiment of Evil.
Plus, WHEN Mewtwo returns in the following Smash sequel, it would be awesome to see Giygas and Mewtwo duking it out. They may look very similar... but I can assure you that their styles of fighting will be vastly different. It's like saying that Bowser and Squirtle work the same.

Hooray for 101 signatures on the petition! Add this to the others... and that's, what, about 400?
Ah, yes, woopyfrood, apparently someone has a bone to pick with you on signature 100 . . . He says Mewtwo has no chance, yet he signs it. Thanks for supporting us, ya douche. :chuckle:

ungulateman

Smash Journeyman
Ike IS Roy, almost. They share mostattacks, look similar, & Ike is more poular in Japan.

Mewto>Lucario, though.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Ike is populer in the US and Japan BTW, and also if Mewtwo was to return to Smash Bros would you still like him if he had the same move, or would you like him if he was diffrent in everyway from his Melee moves?

Steelia

Smash Champion
Ike is populer in the US and Japan BTW, and also if Mewtwo was to return to Smash Bros would you still like him if he had the same move, or would you like him if he was diffrent in everyway from his Melee moves?
I'd definitely still support him if he had the same moves. I mean, they're all original... They just need to lose some lag and gain more reach/power and he's good to go.

And I beg to differ about Ike and Roy. They're about as similar in moves as Mewtwo and Lucario. Since when does Roy use two hands for his forward Smash, flip his sword in the air, have an incredibly fast forward-B, cut the air for his up Smash, use an arm and a leg to attack for his A combo... I could go on.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
If you ask me, Mewtwo is still very different from Lucario. More different than Ness/Lucas.

Mewtwo's lack of inclusion simply boggles the mind, and makes me think "WTH". 'Cos seriously.

Brawl WITHOUT Mewtwo? Just say it to yourself. It sounds WRONG. But unfortunately it's true. :(

TheREALShadowChaos

Smash Journeyman
I liked Mewtwo....

But yeah, I think that they just wanted Mewtwo to be BUFFED, and NOT to be left out. Mewtwo was awsome, but weak.

But IMO, Mewtwo is awsome. That he is weak does not matter much for me, using weak characters can be awsome too.

And about Roy? I think they just did not like him because he was a clone. They probably wanted him to be uncloned, like they did to Falco. I don't know though. I don't care for Roy. But I miss Mewtwo.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Yeah, I agree. I think Sonic is awesome, despite being weak. I tried my best to main him, but at least he's my 2nd main. :p

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I actuallyed wanted Ike to be in brawl. But i wanted 3 FEs characters to play not 2 :(

Mewtwo i played with even if he was bad. Every time i played melee, i did AT LEAST one match with him. Too cool to be ignored. In fact, factoring child hood memories some people have said, everyone loved mewtwo back in the day, hence why I always kept playing as him even if it was for fun.

Roy i thought they'd declone, but i didn't put it past them to remove him. I was once a melee n00b and had my Roy is ub3r days, so I'm attached to Roy.

But Mewtwo, I remember he was one of the characters i said to myself I was so gonna use in brawl once they buffed him up...

Steelia

Smash Champion

*salutes*
Erm... Perhaps I'm missing something... but what happened on August 26, 2008 that quite possibly has something to do with Mewtwo given he's on the front of this picture/memorial? >_>

Regardless, Never Forget indeed. That applies to all the cut characters. We still support 'em from the sidelines of the game... occasionally jumping onto the field waving our shirts and proclaiming how we support 'em.
Only to have trash thrown at us and be taken into custody. :chuckle:

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
Erm... Perhaps I'm missing something... but what happened on August 26, 2008 that quite possibly has something to do with Mewtwo given he's on the front of this picture/memorial? >_>

Regardless, Never Forget indeed. That applies to all the cut characters. We still support 'em from the sidelines of the game... occasionally jumping onto the field waving our shirts and proclaiming how we support 'em.
Only to have trash thrown at us and be taken into custody. :chuckle:
I, myself, have no clue.

Like art, you must suffer for your fanboyism, for they both represent what you believe in.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
It was the Weekly Brawl character discussion on that day. It was Mewtwo as a "joke" and everyone was saying how overpowered he was and how he should have his own tier all to himself.

clockwerk

Smash Cadet
Look, Roy was a clone with the exact same moves as marth and mewtwo just wasn't very good.
Now, if Roy was totally different and mewtwo didn't suck, then I would understand why people are getting so pissed off.

LUCARIO FTW!

•Col•

Smash Champion
Look, Roy was a clone with the exact same moves as marth and mewtwo just wasn't very good.
Now, if Roy was totally different and mewtwo didn't suck, then I would understand why people are getting so pissed off.

LUCARIO FTW!

*cough*

<_<

Not the best place to post that comment, sir.

Steelia

Smash Champion
It was the Weekly Brawl character discussion on that day. It was Mewtwo as a "joke" and everyone was saying how overpowered he was and how he should have his own tier all to himself.
Ahh, yes. When his power was discussed... ever notice just HOW strong people made him? It was interesting.
At least Mewtwo was getting a little love in that topic. :laugh:

Euh.
You're missing the point. The point is that we're ranting about them being out because they still had potential. As usual, look at the transition of Melee Bowser to Brawl Bowser. I couldn't stand Melee Bowser due to how unconnected/laggy his moves were. Brawl Bowser? A LOT of connectivity, and lost some lag.

Roy was a clone, no denying that. However, he could've easily have been decloned enough to be his own character. Look at Mario and Luigi! Their fighting styles have changed a LOT since the Nintendo 64 days.
Ganondorf was a clone of Captain Falcon, and Falco a clone of Fox. Guess what? They've been given NEW moves (or at least their moves are perfected in a very different manner now).

Mewtwo sucked as a Melee character... or rather, he was a horrible representation of himself from the games and the anime. Mewtwo was the first Pokemon to ever kill any human in the anime/movies, he was able to flood the world with the flick of his wrist, prevent all the cloned Pokemon and normal Pokemon from using Special Attacks, AND reverse all the damage he had done. Lucario's got nothing on that. :p
Also, in the games, back in the RBY days, ONE Mewtwo could wipe out an ENTIRE party, given the opposing party had no Mewtwo. The only real threats to Mewtwo were the three birds and possibly Mew, but they never stood a chance against a Recover-ing Mewtwo. And 2 Mewtwo battling? Forget it. Battles would take ages to complete. Nowadays, Mewtwo's kind of died down due to his Special Defense no longer being the same as his Special Attack... but that still doesn't prevent him from being a fan favorite. (Lucario has the rare Aura Sphere attack... Guess what superpowered psychic cat can also learn it? ;) )

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
I absolutely hate it when people throw around the "They sucked" argument. It's ****ing stupid. Brawl is a new game. Look at Kirby, he's flipping high-tier now.

Also, people still liked Mewtwo because of his awesome evil attitude. It made the challenge of playing a low-tier character that much more fun.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Seriously. Too many people look at characters like a bunch of movesets, statistics, and tactics.

Sometimes the outer aura of a character alone can be a selling point on using a character.

Just look at Sonic and Falcon mains. Those guys are never gonna give up. Who cares if a character is bad.

n88

Smash Lord
I loved Mewtwo. My friend loved Roy. This story has a very predictable ending. I don't even like Pokemon, and I like Mewtwo. He could beat the living crap out of Lucario any day. I'll be seriously dissapointed if he isn't in SSB4.

GrayPlague

Smash Apprentice
I was a Roy main in Melee, but I still agree with him going. Of course, I think that Marth should have gone as well, and the both of them replaced by Lyn and Hector.

Steelia

Smash Champion
0_0

I don't know about you all when you see these... but I just **** brick after brick. Okay, so they're not official or anything, but, in the words of the creator, "these are for the fans".

Dr. Mario...
Roy...
and
Mewtwo.

Too cool. Fightin' for the cause!... in a subliminal kind of way. :p

Son1x-

Smash Apprentice
Well I never played Roy much and I never liked him that much too, but Mewtwo, I'm dissapointed in him not returning. I grew up watching and playing pokemons, and ofc. a badass like he was, had to be one of my favorite pokemons.

Top Bottom