• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do people say chaingrabbing is lame?

lax guy5

Smash Journeyman
Infinite chaingrabs/ones that go to 300% = gay/uncool
chaingrabs that only go to 40-60% = a good move.

infinite chaingrabs the gay ones, not ones like falco or pikachu(though i still find those very annoying)
I agree with this. That's also another reason Pika is so beastly. :chuckle:

Moozle

Smash Champion
Wait, what? It's easy to get around DDD's chaingrab?

"Don't get grabbed" is *not* a viable option at all against DDD. I don't care what character you are, you will get grabbed by DDD at some point in the match.
I don't mean that it's easy to get around, i mean that it's pretty easy to make sure that it doesn't destroy three stocks. Sure it's not fun for the person being chaingrabbed for the 5 seconds when it's happening, but my point is that in most cases you aren't going to get destroyed because of it. I guess i'm the only one that doesn't mine them lol ^^

WheelOfFish

Smash Journeyman
That's also another reason Pika is so obnoxious. :chuckle:
:)

I don't mean that it's easy to get around, i mean that it's pretty easy to make sure that it doesn't destroy three stocks. Sure it's not fun for the person being chaingrabbed for the 5 seconds when it's happening, but my point is that in most cases you aren't going to get destroyed because of it. I guess i'm the only one that doesn't mine them lol ^^
Information really does not stay with you for long, does it? DDD's chaingrab is IMPOSSIBLE for most characters that it affects to avoid. Sure, Wario, ROB and Snake can do it, but what about Bowser, Mario, Luigi, Donkey Kong, Samus, Wolf, Fox, Ganondorf, Captain Falcon, Link, ect.? You honestly think that the chaingrab is fair and avoidable? Really?

Glad I don't play vBrawl.

Moozle

Smash Champion
For the last time, I'm not saying it's easy to avoid. I'm saying that it's not going to take you from 0%-death. Sure it can be avoided to some extent with a lot of those characters if you play very defensively, but like i've said in every one of my posts, you will get grabbed. Link, samus, luigi and mario can do a decent job of staying away from his grabs, but samus and Luigi will get screwed by the infinite if it's not banned.

The whole reason that they don't bother me is because they don't kill me. I guess they're annoying but they're not a death sentence like you seem to think.

REL38

Smash Lord
Moozle speaks truth.

I should add, "People who get infinited" and "People who should call the WAHmbulance" and "Those who continue to compare Brawl with Melee" to that list.

If you main ONE character, you're gonna have bad match up's. You can either deal with those or second someone to cover the bad MU's. DK does pretty well against everyone, but sucks against D3. Have someone to cover that MU or deal with it. Complaining about won't do anything other than add to my rage.

Also, those who don't stand a chance against D3 are low Tier for a reason. D3 doesn't even need the CG to **** them over.

WheelOfFish

Smash Journeyman
Moozle speaks truth.

I should add, "People who get infinited" and "People who should call the WAHmbulance" and "Those who continue to compare Brawl with Melee" to that list.

If you main ONE character, you're gonna have bad match up's. You can either deal with those or second someone to cover the bad MU's. DK does pretty well against everyone, but sucks against D3. Have someone to cover that MU or deal with it. Complaining about won't do anything other than add to my rage.

Also, those who don't stand a chance against D3 are low Tier for a reason. D3 doesn't even need the CG to **** them over.
There's a difference between a bad match-up and an abysmal match-up. Be less stupid. I could have a secondary, but if I go with a character that I like, there's a good chance DDD can chaingrab them too. Get a tertiary? Wtf? Bowser and DK are NOT bad characters in Brawl, they are just subject to the dumbest legal technique in SSB. Many more characters would be able to handle DDD if it wasn't for it.

I'm not complaining about anything but how close-minded you are. If it makes you angry, then... think? I haven't said anything that isn't true.

For the last time, I'm not saying it's easy to avoid. I'm saying that it's not going to take you from 0%-death. Sure it can be avoided to some extent with a lot of those characters if you play very defensively, but like i've said in every one of my posts, you will get grabbed. Link, samus, luigi and mario can do a decent job of staying away from his grabs, but samus and Luigi will get screwed by the infinite if it's not banned.

The whole reason that they don't bother me is because they don't kill me. I guess they're annoying but they're not a death sentence like you seem to think.
Wroooong wrong wrong. You still fail to understand what an infinite is. DDD can zero-death a multitude of characters... something that should not happen in a game free of combos (let alone happen with so little skill as chaingrabbing takes). Show me ONE video of Link, Samus, Luigi, Mario, DK, Ganondorf, Captain Falcon, or Bowser beating a chaingrabbing DDD and I'll rest my case. But you won't, because it doesn't happen.

REL38

Smash Lord
There's a difference between a bad match-up and an abysmal match-up. Be less stupid. I could have a secondary, but if I go with a character that I like, there's a good chance DDD can chaingrab them too. Get a tertiary? Wtf? Bowser and DK are NOT bad characters in Brawl, they are just subject to the dumbest legal technique in SSB. Many more characters would be able to handle DDD if it wasn't for it.

I'm not complaining about anything but how close-minded you are. If it makes you angry, then... think? I haven't said anything that isn't true.

Wroooong wrong wrong. You still fail to understand what an infinite is. DDD can zero-death a multitude of characters... something that should not happen in a game free of combos (let alone happen with so little skill as chaingrabbing takes). Show me ONE video of Link, Samus, Luigi, Mario, DK, Ganondorf, Captain Falcon, or Bowser beating a chaingrabbing DDD and I'll rest my case. But you won't, because it doesn't happen.
The characters that have CG just so happen to be higher Tier characters. CG'sare needed in Brawl because of the fact that there are NO real combos. Bowser isn't terrible, but because of CG's, the opponent gets free damage. So? When this game lacks so much in combos, we have to abuse every little thing we can to score a win. If some characters get screwed over by the CG, then deal with it. Players are gonna do "gay" things to score a win. D3's CG is in no way game breaking. True, it's easy, but that's why he's Top Tier. It's always easier to win with a Top Tier. If your 2nd gets screwed over too, then too bad. If you main someone who screwed certain characters, then pick one to take care of certain bad MU's. If I main Fox and go against Shiek, I'm not gonna 2nd Ganon. That's stupid.

Top Tiers have CG's which is WHY they are Top Tier. Low Tier lacks CG's so that's why they're low.

In Melee, Top Tiers had combos which is why they were Top Tiers.

On a game that lacks so much, everything must be taken advantage of. That means it'll push others down, but that's just how the cookie crumbles. As I said before, deal with it. It's not going anywhere.

Moozle

Smash Champion
I'm not talking about infinites because they've been banned at every tourney i've been to. Without the infinite luigi can't be chaingrabbed.

Well anyways here you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSTePdtfPpk&fmt=18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3rTJqYdrwg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA4JSTmcYMk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMIUF-NMwn0

I can find more if you want me to :embarrass I even threw in a falco fight (last one, it's DK if you wanna watch it). After watching all of these videos, i totally agree that chaingrabbing sucks, but the matches are still winnable and they aren't as devastating as you say.

WheelOfFish

Smash Journeyman
The characters that have CG just so happen to be higher Tier characters. CG'sare needed in Brawl because of the fact that there are NO real combos. Bowser isn't terrible, but because of CG's, the opponent gets free damage. So? When this game lacks so much in combos, we have to abuse every little thing we can to score a win. If some characters get screwed over by the CG, then deal with it. Players are gonna do "gay" things to score a win. D3's CG is in no way game breaking. True, it's easy, but that's why he's Top Tier. It's always easier to win with a Top Tier. If your 2nd gets screwed over too, then too bad. If you main someone who screwed certain characters, then pick one to take care of certain bad MU's. If I main Fox and go against Shiek, I'm not gonna 2nd Ganon. That's stupid.

Top Tiers have CG's which is WHY they are Top Tier. Low Tier lacks CG's so that's why they're low.

In Melee, Top Tiers had combos which is why they were Top Tiers.

On a game that lacks so much, everything must be taken advantage of. That means it'll push others down, but that's just how the cookie crumbles. As I said before, deal with it. It's not going anywhere.
Congrats, you just summed up the mentality that makes Brawl suck! I have nothing left to argue with you about now that you've made my point loud and clear.

By the way, Snake isn't easy to use.

After watching all of these videos, i totally agree that chaingrabbing sucks, but the matches are still winnable and they aren't as devastating as you say.
I'm anti-infinite, not necessarily anti-chaingrab. I should've clarified. Chaingrabs are still stupid, but not glaringly WTF stupid as infinites. Sorry for snapping at you, it's just an issue that never sat well with me. I got overly-defensive... not even sure why since I don't play Brawl. :laugh:

JUDGE

Smash Lord
chain grabs are clearly NOT gay/stupid
don't get grabbed. if you suck and can't space well it's your problem

Zero Hour

Smash Apprentice
I've gone threw entire matches as marth without geting cg'd by my friends D3 simply because I spaced or made sure that he did not have enough room. It's not that hard. I main IC's as well as marth and I must say that out of all the AT's i've learned their chaingrabs are the hardest. Besides the fact that they have a horrible grab range, everyone in the game also has a way to take a stock from IC's... it's called separating nana.

Anyone who says chaingrabs are gay are either johning their loss or just plain suck at the game.

REL38

Smash Lord
Congrats, you just summed up the mentality that makes Brawl suck! I have nothing left to argue with you about now that you've made my point loud and clear.

By the way, Snake isn't easy to use.

I'm anti-infinite, not necessarily anti-chaingrab. I should've clarified. Chaingrabs are still stupid, but not glaringly WTF stupid as infinites. Sorry for snapping at you, it's just an issue that never sat well with me. I got overly-defensive... not even sure why since I don't play Brawl. :laugh:
Smash has always had that "play to win" methodology behind it. So that's gonna mean be as cheap as possible. Brawl is no exception.

And you're right, Infinites are FAR worse than CG's. That's something that is stupid which is why they're USUALLY banned. (it is on the East Coast, anyway)

Also I was trying to say Top Tiers are easier to win with. I shoulda been more direct with that :/

Mr.-0

Smash Ace
There refrenced as 'gay' because they, in most cases, require little skill and can rack up a lot of damage quickly but in a boring and lame way. People don't like it because most people that play brawl and go on this site are melee people who complain about brawl. IE, they say there's nothing wrong with the chaingrabs in melee ( they do require skill, but it's just chasing DI ), but they hate the ones in brawl. If you get right down to it, that's the point. Melee lovers hate things that require no skill or arn't fast and cool ( like brawl. ) EXecpt for, I like brawl now ( again.) so...

'V'

Smash Lord
They're lame because they're basically free damage/ free kill depending on character and how well the person can do them. They're not easy to get around either.

Stroupes

Smash Lord
There's really nothing to be said, because those who are opposed to it will john about it, regardless of how fair it may or may not be.

I agree with it, in a game lacking combo skill, you must utilize whatever will help you win. I don't agree with spamming, however. That mentality applies, but that's a different debate.

Tacel

Smash Lord
The people who John about CG's are:

n00bs
main characters that get CG'd
are fighting IC's/D3
can't space
mad that the opponent is getting free damage
main characters that can't CG
angry that Brawl lacks any REAL combos

Deal with it or learn how to get around it (MU's, counter pick, don't get grabbed, other typical suggestions)
So we are n00bs for cherishing the good old days when chain grabbing wasn't as easy?

Chain grabbing is like unplugging your opponent's controller and spamming A.

Mr.-0

Smash Ace
TAL! Good to see you buddy!!! Pretty much what he said ^ Exepct for only with D3

Rizen

Smash Legend
DDD chain grabbing from 0% to when he KOs a character is cheap, peroid. DDD's grab reach is like a tether grab. But I'm not saying chain grabbing is cheap. It's an important part of what mackes Ice Climbers good. This isn't a black & white issue.
Combos don't mean 'get on move in and win the stock', but CGs are important for characters who have them. Some tournaments are limiting things like CGs to three reps. That's smart. CG's aren't cheap, grabbing and repeating a simple pattern until you win is.

BSP

Smash Legend
ok. ive thought about it, and i think CG's are annoying, but not that huge of a problem. There are ways to get around them. People probably get mad cause of the easiness of the CG's. you can like master D3's infinite pretty quickly.

Scipion121212

Smash Apprentice
Because they are over-centralizing and make many otherwise good characters nearly unviable. Bowser anyone? Iamrite

migas140

Smash Rookie
DDD's CG is lame, since it's infinite on some chars and takes no skill whatsoever to do. The others not so much, since they end at some point (Falco) and need skill to do (Wario, IC's).

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
^ Dedede's ends at the edge. It's only infinite on stages that have walkoffs or walls, which are typically banned(Onett, anyone?).

Also, you are ignoring the fact that many of these characters already have poor matchups against Dedede. Why you would want to face one as DK rather than a good counterpick is beyond me, but either way its a bad matchup.

REL38

Smash Lord
"lol stop trying to win! Do something that's not as effective!"

Just cuz a tactics easy to use doesn't mean it shouldn't be used. You gotta abuse what your character has. Play to Win.

@AceLucario

As I said before, it's a new game that has less than the previous game. We gotta make due with what we got. Brawl is the game of options. Use them.

gm jack

Smash Lord
You can't just say to not get grabbed, when DDD and the like have such great grab range.

As it stands, DDD is not dominating. In fact, he is falling. Falco went down to 4th, and although Wario has his own, it is much more limited in use. If you get destroyed by chaingrabs, do what people in melee did, and use a better character. If you think you can win it with someone who get's destroyed by something like DDD's CG, then you either need serious skills or a secondary. If you pick two characters who get ***** by the same person, then that is your own fault.

Go though the matchup charts to get a rough idea of how the matches go and look at potential secondary. Then, pick the one you enjoy most. Simple. As said before, if you play Ganon and get ***** by Sheik and IC, a Fox secondary is pretty useless.

Tien2500

Smash Lord
People say that it is lame because the reward for it is disproportionate to the skill it takes to execute the technique. There are many character in this game that simply don't have safe approach that don't leave them open to getting grabbed.

Naisora

Smash Apprentice
Chain Grabbing is bull if you ask me..It takes the fun out of the gameplay and theres nothing you can do about it if they get you on one.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Chaingrabbing doesn't look cool. I guarantee if all cgs were as cool as ZSS's footstool infinite on ROB, it'd be a different story.

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
You must DI!

After an enemy starts to chain grab you, it seems like all that’s left is for you to be grabbed.
But you must never give up hope!

You’ve been grabbed! Just smash the c-stick!

This is when you tech your fall!

Then use your roll to move away!

Whoa. Safe at last.

If DI is a technique, then there must also be techniques that can't be avoided. Fierce camping battles often rule the match!

NatP

Smash Ace
Chaingrabs aren't gay but a certain matchup breaking standing infinite is very gay... I still don't understand why DDD's standing infinite hasn't been banned. It makes bowser and DK ridiculously easy to counterpick. The matchup is already hard with the normal cg. >.<

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
Dedede can't use a standing infinite without a wall. Those stages are usually banned, as I stated above, because of this. Incidently, this probably removed some otherwise good counterpicks against MK, if I recall correctly.

And again, why would anyone face Dedede as DK, even without the infinite? That's a poor matchup anyways, you are better off going with a cp, like ICs. *cough*MK*cough*

NatP

Smash Ace
Yeah, I know. I use g&w vs DDD anyway. But still, if I'm forced to fight a DDD at a tourney, I rather face it without the mentality that if I get grabbed once, it's less one stock for me. >.<

Top Bottom