• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do people think charizard will be heavy?

Hippochinfat

Smash Ace
In the games he's fast with a great sp. attack stat and an okay attack stat that is made super awesome since he's the best belly drummer in the game. BUT he has bad HP, defence and sp. defence and awful defensive typing so why should he be heavy? I mean squirtle and ivysaur both evolve into defensive pokemon but charizard doesn't, not saying that ivysaur or squirtle will be heavy though.

Baka_Shade

Smash Apprentice
I figure the Trainer's three Pokemon will be designed relative to each other, rather than drawing directly from the game...and they seem to be going for a light-medium-heavy trichotomy. On the other hand, I don't think he'll be Bowser heavy.

Feryx

Smash Apprentice
Aparently, Ike is pretty speedy in his games, yet here he is heavier that Bowser. Just putting that out there

Black/Light

Smash Master
Cause he is big and there most be a stats difference between the pokemon. . . and the other 2 are med sized and small.

Dizzynecro

Smash Journeyman
I hope he's heavy, because a heavy character + gliding/flying(multiple jumps maybe?) would be awsome.

jlorde34@yahoo.com

Smash Apprentice
yea i dont think they basing it frm pokemon games charizard will be the heavy strong smash attack one ivysaur will be well balanced like mario and squirtle will proly be fast but easy to kill.

Glinth

Smash Journeyman
Mewtwo's one of the fastest pokemon, is he fast in melee? No... he's not...
Pikachu is half as fast as mewtwo, is he slower then mewtwo was in melee? No!

-_-

ssbmaster2007

Smash Journeyman
I think he will be a heavy character for the most obvious reason; size. He's a large character, not just tall, but kind of fat too. lol

But I don't think he'll be a very slow character, though of course slower than the other two Pokémon, still good speed overall considering his size and weight.

I wonder what his taunts will be like? One of them should be that he breathes fire above him.

If the three taunts for each of the characters each include basically the same three different personalities of taunting; Taunt, Intimidate, Silly (for example Bowser Dancing, and Peach's "lalalalala").

What would a "silly" taunt for Charizard be like I wonder? Some of the taunts in Brawl might actually be pretty fun this time around having three for each character, and so many characters.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
I think you're confusing "Heavy" with "Sluggish"

Heavy: Flies less when hit, does more damage when attacking, jump height may or may not be as high as others.

Charizard is definitely heavy. In the games the three 3rd Forms of the starters were some of the heaviest (One of the many things PokeDex tells you is weight) in the game, the heaviest being Venusaur (i think), surpassed only by Onix, Snorlax, and Mewtwo...

Sluggish: Not agile. Attacks slowly, etc...

Ike is Sluggish, but, if I'm to believe what I've heard, he's not all that Heavy.
Prime examples of characters who is Heavy but not Sluggish (not a smasher), would probably be T-Hawk and Sagat from Street Fighter, though it's not the same thing...

Since Sluggishness and Heaviness usually go hand in hand in fighting games, especially in the Smash games, I can see where you're coming from (which is why the heavy smashers tend to have somewhat bad reputations), but remember that Brawl is a new game, with most things being optimized, so it may not be necessarily so.

geemann2236

Smash Journeyman
He will be heavy because he is big, fat, and looks sort of like Bowser. He's also big. And heavy. He will be heavy because he is bigger than all of the other guys, and is fat......

THE END!

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Charizard is 200pounds. How is that not heavy?
It isn't.

That's like the weight of the average grown man. Or did you mean 2,000

Donkey Kong is like 800 lbs (revealed in DK64)

Charizard is also only 5'7" (Cool, I'm the same height as him)

So it's big and heavy by Pokemon standards and average by humans standards

royinator

Smash Cadet
If the three taunts for each of the characters each include basically the same three different personalities of taunting; Taunt, Intimidate, Silly (for example Bowser Dancing, and Peach's "lalalalala").

What would a "silly" taunt for Charizard be like I wonder? Some of the taunts in Brawl might actually be pretty fun this time around having three for each character, and so many characters.
maybe he goes to sleep like in the series, when he wouldn't obey ash :laugh:

Pikazilla

Smash Apprentice
It isn't.

That's like the weight of the average grown man. Or did you mean 2,000

Donkey Kong is like 800 lbs (revealed in DK64)

Charizard is also only 5'7" (Cool, I'm the same height as him)

So it's big and heavy by Pokemon standards and average by humans standards

Many pokemon are lighter than they should be. Wailord, 44ft long and about 15ft wide, is only 800lbs while an elephant is about 25,000lbs and 14ft tall.

FalcoChamp

Smash Apprentice
Many pokemon are lighter than they should be. Wailord, 44ft long and about 15ft wide, is only 800lbs while an elephant is about 25,000lbs and 14ft tall.
Yea Pokemon aren't dense I suppose. Ahhhhh well. But I still think he should be heavy. I mean you still got ivysaur and squirtle

KazenoZ

Smash Apprentice
Let me bring up a quote I raised in a convo with my friend.

Me: As much as I'd like to play PT for he's uniqueness, I just hate the idea of him being slow
Friend: Why do you think he's slow
Me: Well, Charizard is a dinosaur and is big, Ivysaur is a medium sized pokemon but is a plant, and the only pokemon he has which is in a small size scale is a effin' turtle.
Friend: XD
Me: Rather than asking why I think he would be slow, you should be asking the exact opposite, why wouldn't he? ><
Another reasoning is that he has a glide move, he has to be atleast medium speeded, otherwise he would be an unfair character.(MetaKnight and Pit were proven mid speeded from the demo)

FalcoChamp

Smash Apprentice
my point was that ivysaur is gonna be medium and squirtle light. Charizard heavy. You got all types of characters in one

Turbo Grafx-16

Smash Cadet
In the game it never says speed mean's walking speed. Swellow (A bird with 125 base speed) probably isn't that fast by waddling around on two stubby legs, I figure it's the same with Charizard, he has wing's and can glide so why make him a fast runner or attacker?

Turbo Grafx-16

Smash Cadet
He wasn't responding to you >_>

I've seen a few of those "Zard is 200 pound's" post's before, I was using the most recent to make my point that it doesn't matter how much he weigh's but I think I am off topic, it's not about speed.

On Topic, I believe he will be heavy because of how he looks, regardless of his game weight, did I clear any of my point up or make it more confusing? :confused:

RoxasXIII

Smash Journeyman
when charizard moves, it should work like mewtwos. he'll fly just barely off the ground when moving, so much that his feet still drag on the ground.

Coen

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ok, this is ridiculous. The games have always been waaaayy different from stuff like the anime and smash. Remember Mewtwo was the worst character in Melee? X_x And in the anime, how the hell do stuff like Charmander win against pokemon that are considered top tier in the Pokemon metagame? You can't base his Smash properties off that.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
If you read your Pokedex, you would know he would be a heavyweight by how much charizard weighs, not to mention his belly.

Coen

BRoomer
BRoomer
Charizard: 199.5 lbs

Mewtwo: 269.0 lbs

O_o And to think Mewtwo was lightweight in Melee.

Although, weight isn't the only factor that determines how fast you die *in Melee*. It is also decided by your personal floatiness, which differs for a lot of characters. Mewtwo was pretty floaty and not too heavy, which is why he died pretty soon in comparison with other characters. Samus might have been one of the heaviest characters in the game, but her floatiness killed a lot of her survivability. Understand?

And about Charizard: He might be heavyweight, but there is no saying he really will be. But yeah, he LOOKS heavy.

geemann2236

Smash Journeyman
Charizard looks like he's heavy. He prolly will be because Squirtle is light, Ivysaur is light, so Charizard will prolly be heavy. It would be balanced.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Charizard: 199.5 lbs

Mewtwo: 269.0 lbs

O_o And to think Mewtwo was lightweight in Melee.

Although, weight isn't the only factor that determines how fast you die *in Melee*. It is also decided by your personal floatiness, which differs for a lot of characters. Mewtwo was pretty floaty and not too heavy, which is why he died pretty soon in comparison with other characters. Samus might have been one of the heaviest characters in the game, but her floatiness killed a lot of her survivability. Understand?

And about Charizard: He might be heavyweight, but there is no saying he really will be. But yeah, he LOOKS heavy.
This is mainly because Mewtwo levitated all the time so he was made lighter than he actually is.

Top Bottom