• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do people want their main to be high tier?

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
The lower my main is the better...

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
Everyone just wants their character to be viable for competitive play. Not top tier.

I didn't expect GaW to be high tier. I just played him in Melee because he was one of the most fun characters to play as and that carried over into brawl so lo-and-behold, I still play him.

Besides, if I could have my way, Nintendo would have made Gunstar Red/Blue or Saki playable, since I'm a huge Treasure fanboy. I'd main them, bottom-tier or otherwise.

Ginkei for top-tier....?

epic of DE

Smash Journeyman
Newark, DE (only a mile from University of Delawar
For the most part all that tiers mean in games is that while using this character you can make a mistake and still be able to win. Marth in melee was so high in his tier list because he was able to do comebacks with few complications, such as just throwing out a D-tilt (aka the poke) you could gimp alot of characters because it pushes them so far away from the edge and you can throw it out very quickly.

High/Top tier = Easy gimp kills

Exile724

Smash Cadet
I would say that people use high tier characters because they aren't weak against certain characters I do not use metaknight because I feel he is easy to use, but I do main marth because he takes a bit of skill to use effectively but thats just my opinion my secondary is lucas I ushually do not care what tier my secondary is as long as I can fight well with them.

masterspeaks

Smash Apprentice
Some people play low tiers, because they feel it will be easier to gain recognition playing characters that are less used. Others may play low tiers so they have a ready made john for when they lose, "xxx character is high tier and mine is a low tier that is why you won". Honestly, it doesn't matter how many tournaments your character wins so long as you enjoy playing it.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
I know I don't. Part of the reason tiers are really lame. But I guess it's more optimistic than "So and so for bottom tier!"
I agree. personally, even though I main him, I don't want Wario to be a tier *****'s dream (or think he should be). When I played Roy in melee, I would jokingly say "Roy for top tier" even though I knew he wouldn't be and hoped he wouldn't. My friend mains Toon Link, but is a little sad. he mained young link in melee, and likes toon link not for his tier placement, but for his game series and just his overall feel. I can't understand someone who picks characters because they're good, not because they like them.

Exile724

Smash Cadet
As it seems your character is metaknight, I understand he is very easy to play but I also understand that the better the opponent the more he gets owned so if your fighting a better opponent who knows how to bring meta down it would probably take skill to bring out a win, I myself use lucas as I said he is pretty fun to fight with and he can take people down.

Top Bottom