• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do you main that character?

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
Anyone have a particular reason that they main their character?
In most fighting games I main a character not on fighting style, but on a character that I find curious, appealing or original.
When it comes to Smash I'm very familiar with most of the characters. In this case I choose my absolute favorite. I have always loved the DK games, so I would always pick DK in 64.
When Melee came out I was still picking DK. When I finally unlocked Marth, I didn't know who he was. That was until I saw he came from Fire Emblem.
Believe it or not my aunt is Japanese, and when she moved to the NYC she brought her Super Famicom and her games, one of which being FE 3. I played that game, despite it being in Japanese, because it was really amusing to see my units move around and sometimes Marth's portrait would appear.
So I've been picking Marth ever since because I have a nostalgic feeling with him. He takes me back to when I was 5 and my aunt would be helping me move my units on the screen.
So what's your story? Do you choose solely out of fighting style? Are you just a big fan of Zelda? Or is there another reason?

Komatik

Smash Cadet
I play MK because he's one of the few that feels just good to control. Most of my Melee favs feel torturous to play, are ass, or both.

Babatunde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BABS!
3DS FC
2938-7558-8507
Dair followups initially got me into Peach, then P:M came along and i wasn't a melee vet so i wanted the melee experience. Haven't turned back since.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Only because Fox is my favorite video game character in general. He's also fairly fun to play, so lucky me.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
Writing Team
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
ness and lucas because i love the mother series
kirby because kirby was a badass in the 90s and ive used him since 64
dedede because he's one of my favourite "villains" of all time
peach because she attacks with her butt
pikachu because he's not the worst character to fight MK with
zelda because i like her usmash
jigglypuff because jigglypuff
icies because i forget

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
I use Toon Link just because he's the character I'm the best with. My secondaries, Luigi and Squirtle, I use just because I love their series.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
When I first played Brawl, I mained Pikachu, because I liked his series and I didn't even know that spamming thunder was a really good idea.

Soon after, I looked up SSBB online and found out that a lot of people were declaring that MK was broken.

Curious, I started playing as him a lot. I quickly became a fan of using him, even if I was prone to nadoing myself off the stage... a lot.

After beating SSE for the first time, I became a Sonic main because I liked his speed and I'm a pretty big fan of his games.

Then I discovered that I liked playing as Toon Link, so I mained him for a while.

A while passes and I find myself switching mains constantly. A little bit of Peach, a little bit of Captain Falcon, maybe some King DDD, and even Snake for a small amount of time.

But by the time I go into a scene, I'm maining Kirby because I'm getting plenty of suggestions pointing his way.

Recently, I've been maining ZSS for whatever reason...

And right now? No clue who I'm maining by now. :(

Toon Link 99

Smash Cadet
I use Meta Knight because he's my favourite character (I liked him before Brawl). I use Kirby because I like his games and playstyle. The same goes for Toon Link, Link, Ike, Marth, Ness and Lucas.

Babatunde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BABS!
3DS FC
2938-7558-8507
Oh Gawd the blu incoherent madness! MAKE IT STOP! I WANNA BE ABLE TO READ WHY YOU MAIN LOW TIER TRASH!
(jklowtiersbhypedoe)

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
Writing Team
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
i definitely cant read 2 of the last 3 posts

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I have three mains.

Luigi - I'm a big fan of the character... with his air attacks, he's a great character for me.

Falco - Nostalgia. Fox is a bit too heavy, and I love Star Fox... Falco was always my favorite.

Mr.G&W - Side-B and air game.

Lucario - I've been told I'm like him in personality.. and he's my sub for Mewtwo.

Deadsh0t

Smash Rookie
I usually tend to main characters with a dirty ass spike.

Falco and Ness, plus Ness is just fun to play, love his aerial game.

Jiggs is the exception, but I mean hitting a rest, especially in brawl, is just so damn satisfying.

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
Well here's my story

When the original Smash Bros came out i couldn't believe that Pikachu and Mario were in the same game, so i ended up getting the game to try to main Pikachu because i absolutely love Pokemon. Hilariously, i never managed to main him at all and i managed to stink with him lol. So then i tried to main Mario and i did fairly well with him.

Then Melee came out and i knew nothing about the game or what the roster had to offer. So i told myself "Why not give Pikachu another shot?" and i completely stunk with him lol. So i casually played as Mario and Link throughout the beginning of the game. Then out of nowhere i saw a *Challenger Approaching!* sign, but i couldn't recognize the character. Then BOOM! I ended up unlocking Marth and i instantly fell in love with him. I would continue to play as Marth and just dominate. Afterwords, i ended up unlocking Roy, but he was just so uninteresting to me. Then many months later, i ended up seeing another
*Challenger Approaching!* and before my eyes could even begin to respond to what i see, i end up unlocking Mewtwo. I was so happy because of how i love Pokemon and i played endlessly with Mewtwo, but i couldn't manage to main him. So i stuck with Marth most of the time and im happy i ended up maining him.

Then Brawl was announced and the hype train continued. As i was keeping up with the Dojo, i kept hoping that Marth would return while still being confused that Solid Snake was included as a guest character lol. I had nothing against Snake, but it just felt so random to see him included. Then i thought to myself "If this game is including a guest character then could it possibly include another one?" So then i started to imagine what if Sonic were to make it into the game. So then i tried talking to my friends about the possibility and most of them (except like two) completely ruled him out. I really wanted to believe it was possible, so i continued to have a little bit of hope (even though most people thought i was dumb for thinking he would make it in). Then on one memorable Oct. 10, Sonic was announced to be in Smash Bros and i couldn't help but run around my entire school (im not kidding lol) telling everyone that Sonic joined the Brawl! So i promised myself i would main him. I dont know what it is about me, but every time i try say im going to main a character in a fighting game i end up just doing badly with him. This wasn't the case for Sonic though. Im a huge fan of the Sonic games and i just absolutely love him. So once Brawl came out i ended up playing the Subspace Emissary and i loved the story! Then once i unlocked Sonic i started to play him non-stop. Now he's my main character and im really happy to have him return in the new Smash. Also, sorry if i made this story a little too long. I couldn't help myself lol

Reth92

Smash Cadet
I mained lots of characters in brawl XD
At first I mained toon link because ima loved the LoZ games, then when I discovered smashboards I was pretty f*cked when I understood TL had to camp.
Then I moved to sonic cuz I liked his speedy tactics
Then PT because I just had my first pokémon game
Then DK. the feeling of hitting with him is SO good
Then Marth because I discovered Mr.R. ^^
Then CF. No reason needed.
Then MK because ACTUAL combos feel GOOD and feeling godly helps
and now Pikachu because of his playstyle based on speed and PIKA
I tried picking icies but I sucked at chaingrabbing -_- and CF and MK will always be my lulzy character choices

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
It was Smash 64.
I originally wanted to play as Pikachu as my main, but the friend who owned the game said it was his character, so I asked to play as Luigi since he was my favourite Mario character at the time. He hadn't unlocked him. In the end I ended up picking Yoshi since the third friend during those play sessions had picked Mario.

I got my butt kicked bad, but Smash 64 pretty much what got me hooked on Nintendo, and Yoshi's been my main in every instalment since. I'll admit, I was probably at my peak during the Melee years(owned the PAL copy so Yoshi was a far heavier character) and could meteor Smash with the best of them and even mastered wavedashing for a while there.

So my love of Yoshi ended up being completely by accident, due to circumstances beyond my control. Funnily enough the Pikachu playing mainer ended up switching to DK two weeks later. We still meet up once every two weeks to Smash together even now and still enjoy our Yoshi vs. Mario vs. DK/Sonic battles even after all these years.

Kind of a sappy story, but Yoshi as a result means more to me than any tier list or competitive smash game ever could. He's a symbol of that friendship and a symbol of what got me hooked on gaming as a hobby.

?????????????

Smash Master
I don't even know how to explain my mains. I just play around with each character randomly while fighting my friends, and I happen to find one character that I'm able to do better with than any other. Then I focus on learning how to use that character.

pinkdeaf1

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0387-9018-0614
I have been revolving around four characters. I will list them from my best to worst.

Fox: I started SSB with melee, with me trying out a variety of characters, but they all seemed to basic to me. Also, my siblings liked to use the same characters (link, toon link) so I wanted to try someone different for a change. I ended up with sheik and fox. I was relatively good with them, but I never made it to the professional level. When brawl came out, I used Fox and Sheik to see who I was better with. It turned out that I was terrible with Sheik in brawl. I ended up with Fox (not that it was a bad thing) and I've stuck with him ever since. His extreme speed was what drew me to him in melee. That and the fact that I would always ended up killing myself with a side-B. I was attracted to that daring-esque play-style, which I felt was most relevant with Fox.

Jigglypuff: Actually, in melee, I looked down on Jigglypuff. Not only was Jigglypuff so easy to KO, if Jigglypuff's shield broke, that would mean near-instant death (This still happens). I only really started using jigglypuff in brawl and I am glad I did. Jigglypuff is very flexible in the air and that lets me be very fluid when fighting. Though, the main attraction for me was that Jigglypuff was a paper tiger (or glass cannon). With such a low kill percent, yet the ability to dish out very powerful attacks, I found one character which most exemplified the gambler mentality (for me at least). Jigglypuff was the archetype for the chariot arcana (arcana from tarots). Also, if anyone has played the Persona Series, the Chariot Arcana was one of my favorites, apart from Tower and Moon.

Link: I used link in melee, but was not very proficient with him. In brawl though, I got much better with him. Though his slow speed and low jumps were off putting, I stuck with him and ended satisfied with where I am now.

Lucas: I was attracted to using Lucas mostly due to his sad story, how pathetic he appeared in SSE, and because he was the Mother character who wasn't Ness (I do not like Ness). What started out as a goal to prove Lucas better than Ness, turned into something like a light obsession. That is all I would like to say on the matter.

BoomToon

Smash Apprentice
During N64 I was a huge fan of Ness and during Melee I played as Roy for the longest time but he didn't have quite the style of play I was looking for. I did some more experimenting and something just clicked when I played as Sheik. I loved her speed and was able to pull off better combos with her. I've been playing with her ever since so I'm hoping they include her in Smash 4!

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
It was pretty much just Luigi back in Melee. Good jumps, floaty (good in my book lol),and fairly fast attacks. Brawl came around and I mained MK like the scrub I was. But it was lonely on top and I mellowed out, so I switched to ROB and TL for a few years. Then KIU was announced... I've been a Pit main (and getting into competitive play) ever since.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I've mained Luigi in every single game because he is my favorite character. Nuff said.

I main Meta Knight because he looked so freaking cool in the E3 trailer and I had a feeling that he wouldn't disappoint me when I finally got to play as him. Hell, I was more hyped to play as Meta Knight than Wario, my most wanted character prior to Brawl.

Theoriginaltzw

Smash Cadet
NNID
Aurious
3DS FC
3394-3662-6284
I play Sonic a lot. But lately I've been switching between Lucas and Ness.

TheRage

Smash Apprentice
I have mained Fox McCloud ever since Smash 64, so it has become a tradition for me to play as him, meaning I haven't really thought about it too much. However, now that you bring it up, I guess the reason I have mained him all of these years (what is it going on 15 years now!?) is because he is a fun character to use. I always found his reflector shield amusing, and coupled with his quick movements/attacks, high jumps, and long range advantage, he just fits my style of playing very well.

Eventually, I would become quite experienced using him, frequently winning duels against friends and family (especially my brother). This also added to some pride on my part as well, further attaching me to Fox's play style and giving me some notoriety in my community.

Though Fox may have changed a lot over the past 3 iterations of Smash Bros., I still consider him one of my favorite character in the series. I may use other characters sometimes, but I often come back to using Fox in the end, that is just the way it is for me.

D

Deleted member

I play Snake in Brawl because hes my favorite video game character.

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
I've had different mains at different times for all three games, but for the last few years I've found myself dedicated to G&W because of his unusual play style and interesting character design. He just ended up being my best character, along side falco for brawl.

That said, I'll always be a hardcore sega fanboy, and I tried for years after brawl came out to main sonic, but I was just naturally more adept with old gamie, so I had to religate him to secondary.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Though, the main attraction for me was that Jigglypuff was a paper tiger (or glass cannon). With such a low kill percent, yet the ability to dish out very powerful attacks, I found one character which most exemplified the gambler mentality (for me at least).
I hate to be 'that guy', but paper tiger is not synonymous with glass cannon
A paper tiger is something that seems intimidating and powerful, but is actually weak and flimsy
A glass cannon is something that can deal a lot of damage, but is easily destroyed

I main Jigglypuff because she's really good

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
i main kirby because in smash 64, i loved using my invincible rock, i loved swallowing people and stealing thier powers, and i loved kirby's flying abilities.
in brawl i loved the hammer addition (i never played melee)
in playing kirby so long, i picked up on nuances, some small gimmicks (no swallowcide is not one of my gimmicks), and have found an unusual aggro playstyle that suits my abilities.

i have picked up some other characters, and i am a well rounded smasher, i can play most characters, but amongst those characters, a few i excel at, and kirby is just one that i excel at the most.

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
I main TL now, because his DAir was the spammable move as a noob, and I loved him. Now I actually play seriously, and I'm thinking of moving to a top tier. :p

shadowx82

Smash Rookie
I pretty much assembled a team of characters. Kirby because even if i can't combo, that hammer makes you jump! Luigi is my favorite character and is one of my "how are you not dead" kind of people. Where most characters get KO'd, he would just easily recover and counter attack! Then mario because he's nimble, relatively small, and fireballs yum! Ness can trip you up with a well timed jump and that yo-yo! Not to mention pk fire pillar can rack up dmg! Lucas's pk skills hit harder than Ness and counter Ness's set ups with executions. Fox. Do I even need a reason? Kicks baby kicks! And marth because of ike!

JNewton

Smash Rookie
Marth and Ike. Marth because of the fightning style, and Ike because the KO power.

And because Fire Emblem is one of my favorite franchises.

Last edited:

Dairz

Smash Ace
I main Luigi because he's my favorite Mario character, (aside from Yoshi, but I didn't like how he played) and even when I just played this game dumbly with friends, I remember liking how Luigi felt to play as. I took a shine to Toon Link since he matched my style, quick and light, unlike Link who felt slow and heavy. (which always struck me as odd) I feel kinda ashamed to say this, but Wind Waker HD was my first Zelda game, and I'm not even done with it yet. I totally love it, and the only reasons I wanted it were because of Toon Link and I knew I had to get into the Zelda series.

I'm maining Mega Man because he's one of my favorite game characters of all time, and Villager... I dunno, theres something about him that just clicks with me. I also want to give New Bowser a shot because he's so much more like the real Bowser. (also dat dropkick)

tl;dr
I like Luigi, Toon Link I dunno, Mega Man cause Mega Man, Villager I dunno, and Bowser because they made him be real Bowser.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I main Olimar because he fits my playstyle the best for Brawl. No other reason or long reason or any story behind it or any personal attachment to him.

Xcano

Smash Lord
NNID
Xcano128
3DS FC
4511-1143-2506
I main Marth because I was looking at the character select and thought, "this person looks cool".

RopeDrink

Smash Cadet
I have this issue where I fall in love with the most peculiar of things that make me stubbornly adhere to one character and one only... It could be anything from an animation, sound effect or something very minor. As an example: For SF4 it was the scumbag laughter of Balrog for his headbutt - The moment I first heard that before the sound of that meaty SMASH as it hit someone in the face, it was StreetFighter love at first arcade.

In terms of Brawl... Quite simple...

Bowser Slam.

Sorry but any time I land one I giggle like a psychotic... The whole NES Mario style *WHAM* sound as it connects... Or ending matches with a Suicide Slam... Just so satisfying. I'm glad I'm not a competitive player considering Bowsers status as I'd pick him 100% no matter the odds just on the off-chance of getting a chain of slams :D

Top Bottom