• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do you, personally, play a high-/top-tier?

Why do you, personally, play a high-tier?

• Play to win; whatever it takes.

Votes: 53 16.1%
  • I play whatever character I like.

Votes: 262 79.4%
  • I like playing low tier characters.

Votes: 15 4.5%

• Total voters

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
you were just the easiest and most recent example. you've made your point on the MU to me well over a year ago as well. i also do not think i am a better player than you are.
You have no arguments against your position on my side. I think there is a lot to agree with in your statement questioning how high the skill capacity for any given character really is. As a community, we used to talk about the skill ceiling for the game overall as if it was completely out of sight. Now, I don't think it is unrealistic to be able to accurately gauge your characters in their current state vs what they would play like at potential. And honestly, few people know the characters you play the way you do.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
:ganonmelee:

I have been playing him for like 3 years now and he is my favorite Melee character that is why I use him. He is the only character I truly felt like I got better with and understand. Still more I could learn if I ever felt like playing Melee again.

Niko45

Smash Master
I think in any game you are trying to get good at you should at least start out playing a good character because they have the most options and overall depth and will sort of help carry you while you are still getting a good grasp of the game. Once you have that you can kinda explore whoever you want. Most people just keep playing good chars cause they can win and also they have invested the most time into them anyway so they might as well stick. Also, some (all?) of the good characters are really rewarding as because they have the most tools you can do really advanced things with them that a simpler character cannot do.

Super Eeles BROS

Smash Rookie
I often tend to choose Samus as this was the character I initially chose when I was five, but eventually decided to shake thing up from match-to-match. I now find myself playing more with young link for the simple fact that he has balance between speed and attack.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
I'm really picky about the physics of whatever I'm playing. It just so happens that really good characters have a tendency to be really comfortable and fluid lol

burrhe

Smash Cadet
Always played Falco as my main, even before I knew about the competitive scene. I loved his abilty to move about quickly, and that I could just stand at the edge, time the full hop and the dair, was a garuanteed kill every time. Also c-sticking with him moves him, so I could just move around the stage doing a powerful attack at the press of a stick. I play him now because it pleases me to see me improve so obviously with the high level of tech skill required to play as Falco.

trilok

Smash Apprentice
top tier characters seem to have better options to me.
I play most of the top tiers, and falcon is my low tier character.

~BoscoMan~

Smash Apprentice
i initially got started with doc b/c i was not confident that i could ever master a spacey just cuz how quick you need to be to play them.... i like him and his awful recovery but i'm looking to start playing marth

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
i initially got started with doc b/c i was not confident that i could ever master a spacey just cuz how quick you need to be to play them.... i like him and his awful recovery but i'm looking to start playing marth
As you get better at the game you can easily play spacies. And it takes practice too so you should just practice playing them as well.

Latch

Smash Apprentice
That's exactly the reason that I play Luigi
Just started playing melee/project M, and I was like "holy **** this is so much faster than brawl! Quick, choose a simple character!"

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
Fox and Falco because they challenge my tech skill every day. They have great comboability but are also easily comboed. And any little mistake or bad DI can lead to heavy punishment. Making me go hungrier for perfection; Which I'll never reach, but inspires me to keep chasing it. There is always room for improvement.

I also use Shiek and Puff because I'm good at camping and stalling.

I do use every character. But in serious matches, I guess I'm a top tier hoar XD

Maybe

Smash Cadet
I honestly play higher tiers because that's how the metagame is today. There aren't many people changing the tierlist with low tier characters..

I initially played spacies but when you're still a rookie at tournaments, you get quite discouraged when you're playing a space animal. I didn't really have friends I could play in my area so I only played CPUs. My frustration with missing l-cancels almost always leading to a stock loss was a huge impact in me switching to more floaty characters. Now, I play Sheik/Marth and switch to Fox only when my opponent is playing floaties.

Warhawk

Smash Lord
I mean I guess the best part of playing Marth is the spacies matchup so that's why he wouldn't go Fox on spacies, and the floaties are more fun when you're Fox than any other character for the most part (ok maybe Falcon).

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
how is fighting floaties as fox fun if you can't L-cancel consistently?

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
I guess so, but there's everything else. :|

Dair -> nothing -> eat 60% and get put into forced knockdown <_<

Arcadia157

Smash Journeyman
I originally chose Marth when I decided to play competitively because I had always had a fetish for characters with swords. When the game first came out and I had no idea what a tier list was, I would main Link and have Roy as a secondary. So when I was getting introduced to competitive Smash, my friend advised me to pick a character from the top 3 tiers. I guess one could say that I wasn't able to choose for myself, but I love playing Marth now. :D SO MANY COMBOS

Dinkerbob

Smash Cadet
I play Falcon because when I first picked up Melee I thought he was the coolest! I couldn't control him so I switched over to Luigi until I became a better player. Since then I've loved playing Falcon more than anyone else!

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
I play Falcon because when I first picked up Melee I thought he was the coolest! I couldn't control him so I switched over to Luigi until I became a better player. Since then I've loved playing Falcon more than anyone else!
Falcon is not only the coolest, but the MAnliest also

Vudujin

Smash Lord
All the characters I like just so happen to be bad solely based on design. It seems that the more realistic human characters are higher up on the list, with the exception of the spacies, puff, I.C's and Roy. The humans all have that sleek, slender, lengthy appendage thing going on which gave them an advantage of sorts in the process creating moves and hit-boxes.

:luigi::mario::ness::dk::roymelee:

Eclectic Echo

Smash Apprentice
why can't every character or most be fairly equal. i just wish DK was a little better. but he's still a monster!

they need to make a new super smash bros. game, like melee with new characters and such. that will be the day.

D

Deleted member

I like low tiers.

Such as :pichumelee:

But on some occasions i also play as :ganonmelee:

And if its also somehow a match a bit on the medium difficulty side i'd pick Doctor Mario

Top Bottom