• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do you play Brawl?

CodeytheRhino

Smash Apprentice
I noticed that many people here refer to other fighting games, so it made me wonder if why people play Brawl and the other SSB games. I play because it's a great game, and all the fanservice to diehard Nintendo fans like me. It's great having a game that combines my gav game franchises. I must admit that Brawl is about the only fighting game I play, where I prefer FPS. So long story short, why do you play?

WaffleGuyPerson

Smash Journeyman
-Because it's really fun
-I loved the other two entries in the series
-All my friends play it and we get really competitive about it
-Because it is made of pure awesome.

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion
I play it because of 2 things:
1. it is a compilation of the many great nintendo franchises into a great battle game that is more fun than anything else I have played before.
2. it realy helps me find nintendo games I might get into, because of all the trophies and what not, I know just what I might buy and what japan is holding out on us (like the special custom robo DS downloadable super robos that we never could get...).

CodeytheRhino

Smash Apprentice
I play it because of 2 things:
1. it is a compilation of the many great nintendo franchises into a great battle game that is more fun than anything else I have played before.
2. it realy helps me find nintendo games I might get into, because of all the trophies and what not, I know just what I might buy and what japan is holding out on us (like the special custom robo DS downloadable super robos that we never could get...).
QFT. I never heard of Samus until SSB on the 64. Now I think Super Metroid is one of the greatest games ever.

So most people aren't fighter-junkies? My question is kinda ambiguous but I didn't know if ppl play because it's a popular fighter or what.

Sir_Psycho

Smash Apprentice
I play because Brawl offers an amount of multiplayer replayability unseen in many other fighting games. Also, it's an awesome game to play competitively. One other thing that sets Brawl apart from other fighters is the sense of looseness and fun it presents. Many other fighting games are weighed down by melodramatic and often ridiculous(Tekken, anyone?) story lines.

Ichida

Smash Ace
I have to admit that a small part of my reason for playing and improving my skills is to spite the plethora of *****y wavedashing Melee devouts...

*cough* But mostly it's for fun... yeah...

I'm also hoping this will be the game I make a name for myself in, even though at my level the odds are still drastically out of my favor. I missed the boat when it comes to Melee, because I was never aware of the competitive layer or advanced techniques, so I would consistently get my *** kicked. This is the key reason I'm enjoying playing and getting better in Brawl. Of course, I've always had a friend whom I considered my gaming rival. He would always trounce me in Melee, even though he wasn't an AT user either. Sure, I would eke out the occasional victory, but I endured loss after humiliating loss. With the new battlefield of Brawl, my ambition lit a new fighting spirit in my soul. I will surpass him!!

And yes, people have often told me Shonen Jump would buy my story. XD

Sir_Psycho

Smash Apprentice
And yes, people have often told me Shonen Jump would buy my story. XD
Then you'll end up on Cartoon Network, get your own line of action figures, and every kid will want to be you for Halloween for about three years.

The future looks bright.

tafutureboy

Smash Ace
Because its fun....when I first played the 64 version I only knew Mario nad Luigi....nowI know about all 35 characters....

kevc

Smash Cadet
because this game is like sniffing crack through my a$$ hole , its friggin addictive!

AllGoodNamesAreTaken

Smash Apprentice
My reasons are:
1) It's really fun.
2) It's original (different from other fighting games)
3) Has alot of game secrets to keep me busy.
4) As error_alt_delete says, it helps me get into franchises that I haven't had a chance to look at. (Fire Emblem)

Shadow Calibur

Smash Ace
1. I've played the other two Smash games.
2. It's fun and addictive.
3. It's got plenty of stuf to keep me busy.
4. It got me into many Nintendo franchises (Kirby, Metroid, and Fire Emblem in particular).
5. I'm into fighting games (mostly SMash and Soul Calibur).

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I enjoy the game, it's really that simple for me... I don't get enough out of techinques or competition so it comes down to enjoyment for me.

Boa

Smash Cadet
It's easy, mostly. I could never get good at other fighting games, but I loved them so much.

Then I found Super Smash Bros. and enjoyed the simplicity, then got addicted to it.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
My main draw to the Smash games were their encyclopedic-style of cataloguing the best crap from Nintendo everywhere.

SSB64 sort of touched on this but never really took it anywhere. Melee took it really far with the trophies, and Brawl has taken it to a crazy Wikipedia-style level with the excess trophies, stickers, chronicles, etc. It's a fangasm of Nintendo happiness, and I'm lovin' it.

Oh, and the excellent gameplay as well. That helps a lot.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I like a game where Luigi can whoop some ***!

It's fun, I know a LOAD of people who play it, so naturally it get's competitive.

I'm a Nintendo fanboy, so naturally I cannot express my love for this game with words.

Anarkex

Smash Cadet
There's a couple things that got me to playing Brawl.

I didn't like Melee much at first, honestly. It just seemed so much more complicated and unforgiving compared to the original, and seeing as i didn't have a Gamecube, I had no chance to really learn it. I ended up picking the game up because my friends were into it, really. I just wanted something else to do with them.

I never really liked fighting games either. It became more of an acquired taste for me. I've come to notice that because of how fast fighting games move, and because the actual competition is on such a small scale, they are about the easiest way to make friends in the video game community, not to mention probably the least obnoxious brand of gamers. That, and Guilty Gear really showed me that fighting games can be fast, over-the-top, and stylish, not just calculated strategy on strategy. So I was able to pick up fighting games, despite a crummy past.

Brawl itself really took me and my friends by storm. The nightly updates became a wacky ritual, and I just got really wrapped up in the hype. But the game's just everything I could have hoped for. It's a fun game that you can play pretty much however you want, on a lot of different levels. There's room for creativity in just about every aspect of it, whether it's creating the level, learning your character, changing the items and settings around...And it's got all characters that bring back memories, either personal ones of when I first began playing video games, up till recent times when I've gone back to look at the games I've missed.

Brawl is something completely unique, and whether you consider it the best game ever or just another diversion, you have to admit that very few games reach the same level of versatility, complexity, and replayability.

Marie_54

Smash Ace
Because its like a drug once you pop you can't stop!

(Pringles suck)

Lol Well um because its fun, it has a good cast and most of my friends play it too( i have people to play against, i don't care about trends) and the most important reason...

ZOMFGGGG!!11!!1 SONIC THE HEDGEHOG IS IN A GREAT GAME!! HOW MANY YEARS HAS IT BEEN SINCE SA2B OR SADX CAME OUT!?!?

I tried Sonic for Wii and 2006 and they made me want to puke because they were more horrible than *insert angry video game nerd rant*

Jafar

Smash Cadet
A good party game to play with 4 people or more people with passing around controllers.

With seven people everyone will play every other round compared to once ever 5 times if it was another fighting game.

Alot of sellection and alot of fun can happen on stupid maps...

Cenedar

Smash Ace
It's fun, it's addictive, it's great in tournaments and parties, it's Nintendo fanservice (enough to blow your head off), and come on man. Sonic vs Mario. **** doesn't get better than that. Unless it came with money.

Hey Nintendo, wanna give me 10,000 bucks? No reason, just wondering. But I digress...

Brawl is one of the single greatest games I have ever played, the cast of characters is wonderful, all the unlockable goodies and such make single player freakin' huge, and multiplayer keeps me and my friends entertained for hours on end. Overall, gaming gold.

Resident_Smash_Genius

Smash Journeyman
I used to be a fighting game fan, until I realized that they all suck compared to smash. Mortal Kombat is joke, it's just a series of three hit combos followed by a block. STUPID. Even Soul Calibur fails to be as well balanced or as much fun to play. (BTW, if I had to pick a second favorite fighter, it'd be soul calibur)

All I play now is FPS's and SSBM/SSBB. Also, FPSs are much more popular (and easier to play because they're on PC) up at college.

Rash

Smash Ace
I find it fun and accessible. A lot of the times I find myself with more than just one person to play with, so having a game like Brawl which supports four players is very nice. I'm always up for a match in Soul Calibur II, though. That game can be pretty darn fun as well.

Brandon72196

Smash Apprentice
1.Because ive been waiting for it a looong time
2.Because its the best one so far
3.Because its fun!:dizzy:

S0crat3s

Smash Apprentice
I play it because:

-I had a SNES controller connected to my bellybutton instead of an umbilical cord
-The characters are very well balanced and unique (even the "clones" have a unique feel to them)
-Awesome concept ("My Mario can beat your Link!" "Reall? Bring it on!")
-Unique battling system (yes, I am referring to percentages)
-Easy to pick up but incredibly deep (played since SSB64, so I'm talking about newbs)
-DeDeDe!

rockmace

Smash Apprentice
Hehe i'm gonna be excomulgated, but I play it because is a standard. Much like using macs in Graphic design, they are great but there are also a lot of great options. BUT you wont get anyone else to adventure and try something else, so if I don't want to be left apart in some friend reunion, I have to at least know how to not to suck in brawl.

Besides, in wich other game you get rewards for being an irritanting obliteration?

Jimtopia

Smash Apprentice
I never liked they typical, "I hit you until you have no health left." Brawl's like... backwards in a way, I'm giving you damage so that you'll die when I hit you the correct way. It's just new and different.

kazaken455

Smash Apprentice
I love it because it is simplistic yet has incredible depth. Plus it has the nintendo characters that I have always loved. I've been a fan since the beginning!

Top Bottom