• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WHy do you play him/her

Lv.99

Smash Journeyman
Okay, I thought this would be a relatively interesting discussion topic. So here's the question: "Who and why do you use your characters?"

Now, this seems stupid, but a bugger plan is involved. I'm trying to see if there is a general trend as to why competative players don't choose Metaknight and Snake. I mean, if your goal in playing this game is to win, why doesn't everybody choose the best character?

Well I'll start:

Main: R.O.B.
Reason: He is a 1980's robot that can shoot a fast acting, ultra piercing, and high powered optical lazer. I say no more....

Secondary: Wolf
Reason: Great combo ability, a spammable but not annoying lazer, has a very good side B, ans asks "what are you, scared?" on command.

So my main reason is, they are fun to play as.

Roihu

Smash Ace
Main: Captain Falcon
Reason: Have you freaking seen him? He has the most epic taunt. Ever. You demand your sucky opponent to show you his moves.
Secondary: Marth.
Reason: Second manliest person in Brawl. When his tiara gets a bit out of place, he creates an instant OHKO. I mean, how cool is that? Also, I like swords and Marth has the awesome Side B move. =O

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Sonic: because he's Sonic. Once you get beyond the starstruck, and you find out that you're dedicated, you'll see that Sonic is a very interesting character to use.

Marth: because he's the best sword wielder in Smash... better than MK, yes. MK might be higher in tiers, but half of MK's moveset doesn't even belong to him. *coughShuttleLoopcough*

Luigi: because he somehow fits my playstyle. He feels like he needs a bit more offense than the average character.

Lucario: because he feels like a combination of Melee Samus and Ryu. Oh yeah, he can kinda combo. He's awesome.

Ike: because I picked him up one day and felt like a real noob with him. Playing as Ike makes me happy, even if I only hit one killer Fsmash per fight.

PCHU

Smash Lord
HOLY CRAP, you ready?
MAIN-MAIN: Lucas
Reason: He's a chibi Roxas that shoots the crap out of you with hexagons, not to mention he can fly up with a mere PK Fire, and rocket off with Psi Magnet.

MAIN: Ike
Reason: He freakin' fights for his friends.
Unfortunately........*turns around* I have no friends.AHAHAHAHAHAHAH.
Kidding.

Main: Ness
Reason: PK AWESOME:NESS:, is there anything else I need to say?
YES.
But not now.
I'll post others later....

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Main: Mario
Reason: Because I'm pretty much classified as a hardcore Mario fan. I've played Mario ever since Smash64 and he will always be my main no matter what the circumstance.

2nd Main: Link
Reason: Because he flows well with me. I like sword/shield characters, and I also like to have many choices in my arsenal.

Secondary: Ike
Reason: He's fun to play with, and even more fun to play against competitive opponents cause if I just so happen to win, it makes people go WTF!?.

A lot of people's choice happen to deal with personal preference, and breaking the generic mold.

Roihu

Smash Ace
Sonic: because he's Sonic. Once you get beyond the starstruck, and you find out that you're dedicated, you'll see that Sonic is a very interesting character to use.

Marth: because he's the best sword wielder in Smash... better than MK, yes. MK might be higher in tiers, but half of MK's moveset doesn't even belong to him. *coughShuttleLoopcough*

Luigi: because he somehow fits my playstyle. He feels like he needs a bit more offense than the average character.

Lucario: because he feels like a combination of Melee Samus and Ryu. Oh yeah, he can kinda combo. He's awesome.

Ike: because I picked him up one day and felt like a real noob with him. Playing as Ike makes me happy, even if I only hit one killer Fsmash per fight.
Does MK even have Tornado prior to Brawl? I know he has an attack that makes a tornado appear from his sword but...

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Wherever you want me to be... If you're female.
Main: Peach
Reason: Who needs swords, arrows, mortars, and an Infinite Dimensional Cape?

Fear me. For my slaps, hearts, kicks, vegetables, soccer mom equipment, and housewife weapons hurt much, MUCH more than your grenades ever will....

Her umbrella has more initial knockback than any of Ike's attacks. Yeah thats right, her UMBRELLA BEATS THE SWORD.

Oh and you will send metaknights home crying when peach's ending taunt plays. "Oh, did I win???"

Her taunt is just as epic as "show me your moves"

"La-la-la-la-laaa-la"

Secondary: Shiek
Reason: I thouht "she" was a "he" until I realized she was actually part of Zelda. Ninja-Pirate Princess? Kick***

Smash_Gigas

Smash Lord
[Samus]
I'm a Metroid fanboy. Love the Metroid games, and Samus is a pretty cool character. I mean--She's a female dressed in a highly advanced suit of armor that carries 250 Missiles.

[King Dedede]
If I could customize a character, it would probably be similar to Dedede. I love the way he fights and has multiple jumps. Makes me want to shed a tear when I land a Fsmash / Jet Hammer on someone.

[Snake]
High tier.

MiiKai

Smash Cadet
Main: Kirby
He can pull a sword out of nowhere. "Hiiiii!"

Sec: Snake
Good Ol' sneaky tactical Snake.

Sec 2ND: Fox
Landmaster is just so awesome.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Main: Yoshi
Reason: He's just plain awesome, and I'm a hardcore Yoshi fan. ^^ :yoshi:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Fox is my main main. He has been since 64.

Meta Knight is my Brawl main because he's fast and I like him as a character.

Shiek because he has mad ninja skillz. I know that's vague but I made that up in like two seconds.

ROB because he's awesome. The most awesome.

Marth because he's somewhat awesome, and is a fast sword weilder.

I suck pretty hard with most other characters for some reason.

Yinlong

Smash Journeyman
when i played melee with my friends, i found it cheap and rewarding to spam down+b with yoshi. it was fun and it worked, so i stuck with him. i used to use roy anyway, but he's gone now.
yes, we were noobs. xD

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Does MK even have Tornado prior to Brawl? I know he has an attack that makes a tornado appear from his sword but...
In Kirby SuperStar, he does do a Mach Tornado. It has actually been nerfed from that game. lol

x9whitey9x

Smash Journeyman
Lucas: How can you top a little boy with psychic powers, that include pyrokinesis? You can't.
Weegee: The least respected lead character ever. Great aerials.
Donkey Kong: Too badass to fight with weapons, packs more punch in his open palms than most characters with weapons.

Lv.99

Smash Journeyman
Main: Peach
Reason: Who needs swords, arrows, mortars, and an Infinite Dimensional Cape?

Fear me. For my slaps, hearts, kicks, vegetables, soccer mom equipment, and housewife weapons hurt much, MUCH more than your grenades ever will....

Her umbrella has more initial knockback than any of Ike's attacks. Yeah thats right, her UMBRELLA BEATS THE SWORD.

Secondary: Shiek
Reason: I thouht "she" was a "he" until I realized she was actually part of Zelda. Ninja-Pirate Princess? Kick***
True, so very true. But please don't tell me you're one of those campy, never-get-hit peaches right?

HOLY CRAP, you ready?
MAIN-MAIN: Lucas
Reason: He's a chibi Roxas that shoots the crap out of you with hexagons, not to mention he can fly up with a mere PK Fire, and rocket off with Psi Magnet.

MAIN: Ike
Reason: He freakin' fights for his friends.
Unfortunately........*turns around* I have no friends.AHAHAHAHAHAHAH.
Kidding.

Main: Ness
Reason: PK AWESOME:NESS:, is there anything else I need to say?
YES.
But not now.
I'll post others later....
Hexagons are the best of shapes, next to triangles of course. And, U-Smash for the win!
Reason: Have you freaking seen him? He has the most epic taunt. Ever. You demand your sucky opponent to show you his moves.
Secondary: Marth.
Reason: Second manliest person in Brawl. When his tiara gets a bit out of place, he creates an instant OHKO. I mean, how cool is that? Also, I like swords and Marth has the awesome Side B move. =O
"Show your moves!" Need I say more?

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
Zelda - Raw power + ninja kicks + pretty blue dress.
Donkey Kong - Moar Powah
Kirby - Coz his blue and redish costumes rock. Oh, and I love when you suck up R.O.B and he goes "Beeeep". It's hilariously cute and annoying.
Peach - I find the idea of looking up someone's skirt only to find a flurry of kicks blinding your vision pretty funny.

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
Main: Mario
Reason: Because I'm pretty much classified as a hardcore Mario fan. I've played Mario ever since Smash64 and he will always be my main no matter what the circumstance.

2nd Main: Link
Reason: Because he flows well with me. I like sword/shield characters, and I also like to have many choices in my arsenal.

Secondary: Ike
Reason: He's fun to play with, and even more fun to play against competitive opponents cause if I just so happen to win, it makes people go WTF!?.

A lot of people's choice happen to deal with personal preference, and breaking the generic mold.
You use everyone my brother uses! Scary! I never thought I'd see the day.

Anyways....

Main: Zelda
I just picked her up right away, and she just fit my playstyle. Her lightning kicks are I really love though. How can you not love those.

2nd Main: Samus
She's just made of awesomeness. I didn't use her much in Melee, but I think I prefer her more in brawl. She is really floaty and it reminds me of Mewtwo...... :(
And she's fun as hell to play as.

3rd Main: Peach
Peach is just one of those funny characters. Why use a sword when you have a perfectly good turnip on hand :laugh:

And yes, I do realize I use all of the females of brawl, it just worked out that way. I choose my characters based on my personal preference, as most of you should. I don't need to pick a high tier character to win, because thats not my primary goal. I play to have fun.

~rh

Smash Lord
Cause Marth is the coolest metro gangsta alive.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Main: Samus

I mained her in 64 and Melee, and as such I main her now. I love the Metroid games, and I love Samus in Smash. I really miss Melee Samus, but I still love a nerfed Samus. I'm pretty good with her, at least I like to think.

Secondary: ROB

He's extremely important to gaming history, and he's a creative and fun character, and on top of it I'm good with him.

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
Marth: He's slick, cool, fast, and skilled with a sword. Plus blue owns all.

Falco: In Melee my cousin mained Falco, but he now mains Fox because he doesn't like the new Falco... but I do, so I main him!

Mario: I always like to pick the balanced characters in any fighting game. Plus, Mario and Dr. mario were my mains in Melee

Toon Link: He beats Link in every way-- gameplay wise and non-gameplay wise. Plus I like his faster playstyle.

Ganondorf: He's the most awesome video game enemy of all time, and he's underrated, so I main him to prove his worth. And he wa smy Melee main.

Ness: I wanted to main someone with a more unique playstyle. And because Lucas gets so much more credit.

Wolf: He's my second favorite video game villain.

MyNameIsRyan

Smash Journeyman
Well there's a tree... and.... uh i see a car... a
Reason:Incrdibly manly rivals that of Chuck Norris. Falcon PAUWNCH. SHOW YA MOVES.

Seconadary: Fox (Also Falco, Wolf)
Reason: Fast powerful and incredibly awesome in the air. All incredibly manly.

Another: Wario
Reason: Just plain awesome. Uses farts to kill people.

TheSundanceKid

Smash Lord
Yoshi- One of my fav Nintendo characters. He's just an awesome green dino.

Olimar- Fun moveset, epic green costume.

PT- He has Charizard. CHARIZARD. And it reminds me of the old pokemon....

Ike- To prove to my friend that anyone can be good with him....

MK- I actually don't know...lol

IC- They're cool and I can frustrate my friends with their CG......

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
Wolf: Because he's my favorite character in Smash Bros, and I love his fighting style.

Gannondorf: Becuase he was my main in Melee, and I like some of the changes made to him (Side-B and Side-tilt FTW!)

Lucario: He's similar to Mewtwo, my secondary in Melee. Any differences that the two have, I like Lucario's better (except for up-special).

Meadow

Smash Apprentice
Main : [Peach]
Reason : A fun and unpredictable character, the ability to pluck turnips and other items, and the look on your opponent's face when you beat them with Peach. Her floating is a nice bonus too.

Secondary : [Ness]
Reason : His attacks are a bit hard to hit with, but when you DO hit someone with Ness, it just makes you feel a bit happier. (Yes, I know I'm strange.) Plus, with PSI Magnet (Which isn't used nearly as much...), Ness is the only character in the game (Except for Lucas obviously...) that can heal himself. Even though Ness and Lucas have a lot of similarities, I'd rather play as Ness.

Secondary : [Zelda]
Reason : Din's Fire. Nayru's Love. Farore's Wind. All of them are interesting moves to me (Well, that's why they're called specials...) and each one has a purpose. (Duh.) Amazing aerials, and the ability to sit is what attracted me to her.

Secondary : [Pit]
Reason : Pit has a lot of fun and unique traits, one major one of them is having wings and being able to glide/have 5 jumps. It satisfies me that I can chase after my opponent off the stage easily and KO them.
Arrow looping has been lots of fun as well.

Tertiary : [Pokemon Trainer]
Reason : 3 Characters in one. Who doesn't like that? My favorite out of the three has to be Ivysaur. Multi-hitting moves, Great grabs, one of the best tether recoveries, and the only Pokemon out of the three to have a projectile. Squirtle is really fun to use whenever someone is in the air, and Charizard is useful in almost any situation.

Tertiary : [R.O.B.]
Reason : 2 Projectiles, powerful aerials (I *really* like characters that have interesting aerials.) and an expressionless face made me pick up R.O.B.

Tertiary : [Ice Climbers]
Reason : Chaingrabbing. A team of two working as one. Tether KOs. Amazing detail on their parkas and mallets. I just couldn't resist picking up Popo and Nana. They have great costumes as well.

Characters that I'm using more often but not enough to be said are : Marth and Yoshil.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I play Toon Link because hes the best. =P
/responceifeltlikeputting

EDIT:
While I'm here, Lv.99, your awesome with ROB.Nice work.

Also, Shadow of The Colossus?
Win.

PillowPants

Smash Apprentice
Main: ROB, c'mon now its ROB, he gots sick priority, knockback, an range
Second: MK, he ***** most other characters w/ out any problems
Third: Ike, replased the greatest character in melee

Fire4All

Smash Cadet
Toon Link: On top of being a comfortable fighter and having those weapons, he has that cool style and look!

Sonic: He is the guy I pick if my cousins want to put on smash balls...I usually win those for some reason >.>

Falco: Fair challenge, I like how he plays, but I find difficulty in using him on occasion.(Which is a good thing)

Lone Shadow

Smash Journeyman
TL - Love LoZ series but didnt like the way Link felt
Shiek - Ninja FTW, nuff said...
Falco - I love bread...
Ness - Just started getting into Ness, probrally because I am extremely interested in psychic subjects and actually practiced for like 6 months (Telekinesis)
Captain Falcon - Gets me all the ladies ;D, especially when I wear the pink custome lol

Thats it for now =)

NeoCrono

Smash Ace
Okay,
Peach: cause you have no idea what could come out of the ground with her, beam swords, bombs, bower jr......
Sheik: she is a NINJA!!! who dosent like ninjas
Diddy: Because hearing people say "those GOD **** BANANAS!!!" never gets old

MajinNecro69

Smash Ace
Ganondorf: He's sheer badassedry. He was also my Melee secondary after Kirby.

Dedede: My most requested for Brawl after Ridley, he's one of my favorite Nintendo bosses.

Wario: I like how absurd his is, and his moves are really good for confusing the opposition. He's got a mean hog, too.

Lucas: He's awesome, regardless of his wimpiness...

Bowser: He's got that black outfit with the platinum braces. Awesome.

Capt. Falcon: Hello? He's Falcon.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
And that's about it. The only thing that MK ever had going for him was flight, and his insanely high attack speed.

TWILTHERO

Smash Lord
Ike: Super powerful strong. Great Aether rawks, represents Por and Rd, my favourite fire emblems

Link: Main since 64

Pikachu: Thunder wins, electric pokemon

PT: Charizard is awesome

Falco: Personally, i prefer the air

T-REX!

Smash Apprentice
Luigi: Wierdest character ever, love it. Firejumppunching someone is the best haha.
Yoshi: He's a freakin' green dinosaur.
Peach: Turnips, mr saturn, beam sword, your mother... she can pull anything out.
Bowser: You ever played him? LOOK AT HIS FSMASH, badass.

Foxtrotter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
msfoxtrott
Fox:
No, it's not because he was UBAR AWSUM in Melee. I didn't even play Melee competitively. If I did, my fingers wouldn't move fast enough to use Fox. Anyway, I play McCloud because he seemed pretty fun. He's really fast, and his shine is really neat.

Pikachu:
I'm a big fan of the Pokemon series. Pika's fast, Pika's cute, and the dsmash is fantastic.

Pit:
The arrows seriously drew me in when Brawl first came out. I would go on With Anyone and spam my heart out. It was fun, but then people learned to play.

Meta Knight:
I loved this guy from the day he was announced. Before he was kewl, I should say. The Dimensional Cape seemed like such a neat trick to me.

Ger-Man

Smash Rookie
Main: Falco
Reason: He's a more badass version of fox (prievously unachievable untill the release of Melee)

Top Bottom