• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do you play Marth?

Sleepy Driz

Smash Cadet
I play him because of his ability to shut down an opponent and dictate the tempo of the match with his large range and disjointed hitbox. I enjoy feeling in control and Marth fits my style of patient, reactive, fundamental play with a ruthless and efficient combo and punish game. Plus spikes are just the most satisfying thing ever.

gosujasu

Smash Rookie
When I first started playing as a child I settled on Link as a main. Upon rediscovering my gamecube/watching the Smash Documentary I was in awe at the depth that was put into a game that I always played so casually. So I wound up picking Peach as a main and kept getting F-smashed by my buddy on Marth. Out of frustration I picked Marth, started to learn the combos, and the first time I Ken Combo'd him was so satisfying.

Plus I use grab a lot and he has the longest grab in the game.

MCDMars

Smash Rookie
I tend to play kind of ranged characters and I love Marths aesthetics, as well as him being the Melee equivalent to a ranged character, minus projectiles, but screw projectiles.

nyricanjr

Smash Rookie
I was entranced by the concept of using a sword as a kid, and still am. I first played Young Link when I played Melee as a child. Funny thing was, I absolutely hated playing Marth back then. I just didn't understand him.

Fast forward a multitude of years later, I discover the competitive scene and watch damn near every national tournament on youtube within the last 5 years that has Marth featured, resulting in me becoming absolutely enamored with his play style. It seemed elegant to me, and I wanted to emulate that. Because of him and the rest of the FE crew in Sm4sh, I also started really liking the Fire Emblem series, further concreting my desire to play him. Thus, Marth became my main for almost every game, and I play him near exclusively in Melee/PM.

Last edited:

JC10101

Smash Rookie
NNID
JC10101
Marth has always appealed to me as a character. the disjointed hitboxes are really nice.

Kellen

Smash Rookie
Aside from my love for using sword wielding characters, I like his combos and I like his movement. Mainly his movement, I feel like I can move anywhere I want with dashes. Also dairs are so satisfying.

PixelPerfect

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Link1182
I started playing him a lot in Smash 4 and since many had said that he was better in Melee, I decided to watch some gameplay of him. Watching people like The Moon, PPMD and M2K, I really liked how he played with his spacing game and combo potential. I've been playing him as a main ever since.

sabbathareking

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2595-2926-7496
i honestly live for the sound of a tipper and the feeling you get when you dair someone into oblivion haha, god i love marth

Wafflesaurus

Smash Cadet
NNID
Wafflesaurus
What I enjoy the most from Melee is movement, Marth has some of the best and coolest movement in the game
He's just so satisfying to move around with and I find most of his match ups cool. Also, swords are cool and his sound effects are some of the best.

FEOwain

Smash Apprentice
Probably because Fire Emblem is my favorite game series evar. Yeah, there might be some slight a lot of mew2king influence

mel0

Smash Cadet
Because I can hide behind his long a$$ disjointed hitbox like a little *****. He's the ultimate spacie. I also find the counter and tipper very satisfying. Generally, no character makes me feel more awesome than Marth, he's like a graceful badass ballerina that dances around with his blade and just doesn't give a ****.

Alternative

Smash Rookie
NNID
fs_Alternative
When I was a little kid and my friend first got melee, He liked to play Roy. Because he was older and I really looked up to him, I wanted to be like him. I couldn't play the same character, so Marth was the next best thing. We stopped playing melee within a year or two. Fast forward to about a month before PM 3.5 came out, I started hanging out with my old friend more. He and his friends played Project M and wanted me to start playing too. I remembered liking Marth a lot, so I picked him up in pm. Marth is my boy. Within the past month, we started playing melee again. I know it's backward, but I do play Marth in melee because of PM.

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
Back in high school, my only strategy with any character was to spam fsmash and fairs. Marth was the one character who let me get away with that before going deep into the game with friends.

LucasZero

Smash Rookie
NNID
LucasZero
When I was very young I didn't know most of the characters so I just picked who I thought was the coolest. I picked Marth and my neighbor picked Roy. He doesn't play anymore but yeah, Marth always just stuck with me. When I went to play the game again after many years, he just felt the best and most familiar to me. He also fits my playstyle of patience and spacing with hard punishes.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
When I got interested in Melee, I found Roy. This was like... a month after first beating FE7, and since Roy is Eliwood's son, I felt obligated to use him, and took a great liking to him. After a little while, I discovered the existence of a tier list, and when I saw the imbalance between Marth and Roy on the tier list, my first reaction was "BS". I tried out Marth... and he sucked. Still, I figured it was that I was used to Roy's lower jumps, which was what kept messing me up, so I tried again. And again. And again. And again. Before I knew it, I was WAY more proficient with Marth than I ever had been with Roy. <.< Now I've just gotta whip my Marth into tournament shape.

TheBoyRoy

Smash Rookie
I loved the design of Roy but Marth just feels a lot better to play and is many times more rewarding.

ssknight7

Smash Apprentice
I really wish there was a way to hide topics. Every time I see this topic I get pissed off because the question is so unimportant / self-serving.

Feels like circle jerk in question form. I'm sure this post seems unreasonably flamie but just had to vent.

NTHPlayr

Smash Cadet
NNID
NTH112
Combos, Quick movement, Aerial Mobility, Ken, punish game, has disjointed hitboxes, and feels just right for me.

SCf3

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3110-5541-3784
Got bored of Puff so I wanted to try another character. I love his movement, spacing, and combos. Plus I hated playing against him too as Puff. I played him a lot as a kid too, so nostalgia is another factor, not a huge one though. :p

plernatious

Smash Cadet
Marth's movement is nice af and he's got the large ass fly swatter if any spacie wants to mess. 20FE is happening boys

Murderthon9000

Smash Rookie
I used to play marth a few years ago because of his ability to edge guard was great, I also thought he looked cool. Then I saw how M2K played him and that pretty much sealed the deal for me.

Skydra

Smash Cadet
I often played Marth as a younger kid, in both Melee and Brawl. Of course, I was a complete scrub, but the character was always fun to me.

I got into competitive Melee during its rise in popularity last year. Though I had to learn Marth from the ground up since I was just a special move and c-stick spammer in my casual days, I enjoyed how the character could move and combo.

Nowadays I'm working on various characters, currently Falcon, but Marth is still my main man.

JFB (JurgaBurgaFlintines)

Smash Apprentice
When I was younger (3 years old) I would switch characters often. I would play Ganon, Roy, Link, Falcon, but I would always go back to Marth for some reason. He just seemed really cool to me. When I heard of competitive Melee, I picked Marth up not knowing that he was actually top tier. After I heard Marth was a good character and saw videos of M2K, I decided to stay Marth because I wanted to just do cool stuff with him like those front facing back airs M2K does.

AudioSilver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3797-7513-8784
I started playing as Marth first in Brawl about 5 years ago, since Brawl was the first Smash game I owned. I started in Brawl as Marth competitively because I saw Ken play as him and thought it looked fun.

It turns out, it is fun! Although Melee is still my favored Smash entry and is what I play competitively now.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Roy was my first "main", marth my first competitive main, then around 10 years ago I started maining Ganon and never looked back. I also secondary'd luigi because he's so fun. But lately I've dropped luigi to opt for marth as my secondary (i never actually stopped playing marth, per se) to help keep up with the constant progression of the metagame (everyone is so good these days).

I play marth because I love the neutral game and the importance of spacing, along with his grab range and grab game (a killer dd is a huge bonus). I love juggles and chaingrabs. Admittedly I determined long ago that my hands will never be able to do what I want them to do in order to play spacies (especially Fox) at a high level, but I like the way marth feels, and his wd timing comes more naturally to me than any other character. I also have this indescribable love of bodying spacies which will always far exceed my desire to play them. Hard to explain. I also love edgeguarding, as a concept in general, so marth is a fun choice.

Last edited:

Sp1nda

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
GUYS I HAVE A STORY LOL

When I was younger, I loved playing video games with my brother. I still do today, because he's the reason I wanted to play and get better than him at video games in the first place. Having him really developed my passion for video games and my competitive attitude, since he was always better than me. He would always beat me, he played Fox and Marth and Falco, today of which are all of my mains. He definitely played those characters because of the games we played, such as Star Fox 64 (and Assault and Adventures lol) TLoZ, though I didn't play it I loved watching him play and stress over the puzzles, but I didn't know why he would play Marth. I had never heard of Fire Emblem, and thought Marth was stupid.
The very first time I beat my brother was when he was using Fox, and basically what would happen was he would do the rapid jab SOOOOO much, and I decided I should go either Falco or Marth because that's who he also played. So, even though I hated Marth, I chose him. Basically, forward smash. He got really salty after I beat him, probably because he's six years older than me and he KNEW I had no idea what I was doing.
Many many many years later, I get back into Smash when the 3DS/Wii U version comes out. Then I start to remember Melee, all the fond memories of screwin' around with Pichu, because so kyoot, and Kirby. All the times my brother destroyed me were also fun. I discover competitive Smash due to a friend who is obsessed with Project M. I see something known as the Smash Documentary, and watch it. Marth everywhere. BEAUTIFUL combos, and such precision that it made me instantly gravitated toward the character. I remember when I first beat my brother, and see now how good Marth's framedata is, his juicy tippers and practicing spacing and movement, so simple and fresh, ultimately I wanted to be a Marth main. He moves like butter on the stage, and dat Ken combo.
I was playing Melee one day, practicing new tech I found online, such as Wavedashing and L-Cancelling. My brother sees the game and wants to play me, and I obliterate him. I don't think beating anyone in tournament will ever give me the same satisfaction as being better at games than my brother. That's where it was official,
"Hell yeah, I'm maining Marth."

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
I play marth because I'm used to playing with fast Characters and he fits my style easliey

Top Bottom