• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do you play Samus?/Samus appreciation thread

Subach

Smash Apprentice
I saw this kind of topic on other character boards, and I felt that the Samus community would give particularly interesting answers being the curious (in all senses of the word), and often inventive bunch of players we practically have to be.

Personally, I started playing Samus in Melee in the first place was a small revelation I had that Metroid was my game series of all time, this occurred around the time Corruption came out.
There isn't much of a tournament scene where I live, so I never got particularly good, and for most of the time Melee was the big thing, Samus's playing style never appealed to me.

In Brawl, she doesn't seem to be quite as good, and at most she isn't any better, but I continue to play her because she is THE badass. I can't stand the blatant fanservice that is ZSS even if it gives me more of a (pretty attractive) leg over the competition.

I find that unlike other higher tier characters in Melee and the high tiers of Brawl, Samus actully had some personality, unlike Marth, Fox and Falco who are all hella bland, and wouldn't be played much at all if they weren't so freakin' broken.

I love Samus's general trickiness, her combo ability and her talent for being utterly annoying.

Also, kicking Marth's girlish butt gives me much lulz

Pi

Smash Hero
Well we have at least 1 thing in common :chuckle:

I play samus because...I get stuck to things. I started samus in melee, if I remember right, because of her charge beam. I could charge it up and walk around with it. Then, because I stick to things, I stuck with her all the way through melee. Got to brawl, and maybe it's subconscious but she's (and maybe zamus) the only character I really enjoy playing.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
I played Smash since 64, but Samus was kinda boring in the first one, and Melee and I had a falling out.

In Brawl...

I like the diversity in her attacks, and stringing together aerials in ways that look unique every time.
I like aerial-native characters, and her huge DI and nil inertia are perfect for that.
EDIT: Sorry, that's *huge* inertia. Got the directionality of that metric mixed up, as usual... :urg:

I like fighting at long range, but then truly displaying my practice at hand-to-hand (or hand-to-Chozo-powered-arm-cannon).

I enjoy the challenge of becoming technically adept simply to use her decently, and am enticed with the certainty that her advanced techniques will be tricky, interesting moves indeed.

And I like the sound effects. :chuckle:

I believe this is also the part where I comment that I find power suit samus sexier than zero suit. I just do.

Nocturnal~Dragon

Smash Apprentice
Well she was my main in Melee and i almost gave her up in Brawl, but since most Samus mainers were leaving her in Brawl i just decided to stay with her, plus Metroid is one of my Favorite series

KhannKlan

Smash Cadet
Metroid is my favorite Nintendo series.

And, since everything is balanced in Brawl and most anyone can be played well, I chose who I thought was the coolest!

M@v

Subarashii!
I hate what they did to Samus in brawl. She is my #2 main in brawl(fox is #1). She WAS my main in melee, but they ruined her in brawl. Her recovery is better, but her b charge shot is a disgrace. It was by far her most powerful attack in melee, and resulted with plenty of mindgames with oppents, making them defensive, and making them fear it being fired. In Brawl however, its probably her WORST kill move. I shot a Zelda once, full charge, at 200%, ans she didn't die. I almost started crying. However I love her fusion suit colored uniform to death :bee:.

As for Zamus. Ive played her here and there. I like how you can chain her down smash, since it freezes them. Her kick after down b is ridiculous, and her whip is a good kill move. She doesnt look bad at all either =P. Shes a fast light type. Shes good, but I nuch prefer fox in the small/light category.

AG4U2NV

Smash Cadet
I'm no "Samus Pro" but I could (and still can) kick *** with her in her Melee days.
I dropped Samus in Brawl like a bad habit because way too many things about her has changed.
Okay,okay,of course I understand that this a "new" game(as in a whole new type of movements and frames and all the other small things)but that fact alone did not have to "ruin" a one of a kind a fantastic character.

For example: The ability with bombs Wes,Java,Phanna,Mike Nasty,and other badass Samus players used in Melee are now gone(threre is too much "wait" time to make bombs useful once you lay two and bounce of the first)you can't attack instantly after the explosion.This is one main reason.

Some say it's to "balance" the game,the game needed no balance just those who suck needed and used excuses when they couldn't do something,lol,like wavedashing.For those who could do it more power to them.I sure didn't ***** when DaShizWiz whooped my *** all over Battlefield on Melee when he used Falco and I used Sheik in Orlando.No knowledge of the game led me to my defeat.That would be different now because I can use everyone in Melee as if they were Taj's Main which is Mewtwo....I'm rambling....anyway...

Many moves in the game have been changed. Her "POWER SHOT"(No more power behind that shot now,lol) has been totally dumped by me,when Ike's Fsmash can kill at extremely low percentages but Samus's power shot can't even kill at 130 that's when you know something is horribly wrong.

Now Zero Suit Samus is a different story new character,new game,new mechanics to match,so you can't really complain about nothing but her "newness"(if that is a word...probably not,heh heh)

To make this shorter than I planned just think about all the videos you seen Phanna do with Samus in her Melee days and see if you can mimic some of those moves in Brawl.then compare her speed in Melee and Brawl.Then her strength in Melee then in Brawl.

The combos in this video are more "difficult" to do in Brawl than in Melee,but just don't throw away the fact that "Different game means different things"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiSEnO-q4Ys

Until Next Time.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I use both Samus and Zamus. I've also been using Samus since Melee, and yes, everything you said is so true...

-Here in Brawl, the morph-ball bombs are pretty much useless. I loved using them to play mindgames, or doing a short hop and d-air'ing someone upwards. Now, when opponents touch the bombs they dont explode, and you can't attack right after Samus bounces to the explosion. That KILLS a lot of my moves also.
-Her charge-shot has also been nerfed, just like you said. Now it doesn't even look menacing while charging it, and the difference in size between the Melee and Brawl ones are directly proportional to the power behind them... In other words, Melee's was awesome, Brawl's is not. I can barely ever get a kill off of a nice-aimed, fuly-charged blast in Brawl, whereas in Melee I sent em flying without thinking what consecuences or hardships it might bring me.
-Samus's power-missiles have ALSO been dumbed down... A LOT. They take forever to shoot, they don't knock the opponent far, and the damage is less. Even in the air it takes forever to fire that thing! Now all I can do is get used to the weak-but-fast homing missiles... Which I barely ever used in Melee.
Her speed in the air has also diminished, meaning she spends her life in the air now... And while this might be good, her kicks' range and priorities have been nerfed, so now they're not as amazing as they were in Melee, meaning most finishing hits for combos have disappeared.
-Oh, and one more important detail... Grappling the stage is way harder now. Im remember the countless times people ended up dumbfounded by Samus's AMAZING recovery... Even if she was on the far bottom-left of Final destination she manages to recover if you know what you're doing. You could've jumped, bombed your way closer, air-dodged to get a little higher once you were near the stage, grappled any part of the wall, pulled yourself up and finished it off with a pretty screw attack to save you from certain doom. Now grapples, tethers, chains and hookshots can only be used to grapple the EDGE of the stage, which also kills one of Samus's most known pro's.

Of course, I'm dealing with these things since I love using Samus, and I love her games (which makes me want to perfect her more). I've learned some moves, found some combos, and rationalized what's good and what's bad with what's been on the table so far... Right now, I don't consider myself even NEAR as good as I was in Melee, but in due time I'll learn to live with the new Samus... Maybe even call her "New-and-Improved"?

... However, you MUST admit her FS is pretty bad***.

Subach

Smash Apprentice
Now Zero Suit Samus is a different story new character,new game,new mechanics to match,so you can't really complain about nothing but her "newness"(if that is a word...probably not,heh heh)
Well, one could say that Zero Suit Samus is doing a disservice to the character of Samus and the franchise as a whole by reducing her to fanservice.
IMO, the Metroid representation in Brawl feels like a big "olol eff you" from the designers at times.

Anyway, this is supposed be a positive Samus thread. We already got tons of threads about what's bad about her. Your posts are welcome, but they certainly aren't the kind I wanted to have when I made this thread.

alchfilosofer

Smash Ace
cause i LOVE metroid series (had played all games exept, return of samus, prime 3 and pinball)

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I've been playing as Samus since Super Smash Bros. for the N64. It had been quite some time since Samus made an appearance. However, I play as Samus, because I like the Metroid series.

-Samus's power-missiles have ALSO been dumbed down... A LOT. They take forever to shoot, they don't knock the opponent far, and the damage is less.
Actually, I've made a comparison between Samus in Melee and Samus in Brawl. The Super Missile does 10% damage in both games. I agree that the force and speed is lacking, but if you look at both games, it's as if Melee is at 1.5 speed like in Training.

Warriors

Smash Journeyman
i play samus cause she's samus. metroid is an awsome game series we all love.
she just cool like that

VirisKnite

Smash Journeyman
I believe this is also the part where I comment that I find power suit samus sexier than zero suit. I just do.
When I saw the clip with the 2 gravity suits all lit up in SSE I was like "that is so freakin' sexy."

Because Samus is the living embodiment of awesomeness.
Trueness.

Okay as for my reasons, I already posted some (actually kind of a lot) of my smash history with Samus in my Meet & Greet thread. Here's the link if anyone wants to read it, I hope it is somewhat amusing: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=169055

Now for on to the actual reason why I love Samus in general.

Let's see I was probably six when Super Metroid came out, and my older brother and his friend were playing it, and I would just watch. Well I got of school before my brother, I think (way too long ago), and one day I saw Super Metroid Cartridge inside the SNES, and I just thought "yeah I try out this game today, I just won't save anything."

So yeah I had no idea what I was doing so I just picked the save file that looked like it had the most stuff, since I figured that it would be harder for me to die. So basically now I know that I was in Tourian, and fortunately there weren't any enemies, especially metroids, because I would have freaked out if some weird monster thingy came out of nowhere latched on to me and started sucking my energy away.

I think I may have actually went into Mother Brain's room, but didn't know how to switch to missiles, so I couldn't break those barrier things.

So soon enough my brother came, and was like "why are you playing this? Did you save? Don't play this, you'll mess it up," or something to that effect. But I didn't mind cause I had no idea what I was doing anyways, and the mood and music of the game was kind of freaking me out too. Hey I was six and besides metroids still scare the **** out of me.

So some time later I'm watching his friend play, and he goes to start fighting Mother Brain and all. And at first I was like "wait I was there," then "good thing I didn't go any farther."
So yeah he beats Mother Brain, and the count down starts and he tosses me the controller and says "here play."

So everything is flashing red, I'm freaking out, and I tell him my brother told me not to play, and he says "well I'm telling you to play." So I was like "Ahhhhh what do I do?" and he was like "just run." He might have told me I needed to get to the ship or off the planet before the timer ran out, but I don't remember exactly.

So I'm freaking out, he's probably laughing at me while possibly telling me where to go, don't remember, and some how I managed to get to the ship with around or less than 30 seconds left.

And I was like "wow I did it" (note was very bad at video games back then, well basically was bent on having to kill every monster, which didn't work too well in games with respawning monsters). So from then on I was a Metroid fan.

And basically SSB64 reunited me with Samus. And I was like "WHAT! That's that character from that game I played a long time ago."

So that's it, and I don't know whats wrong with me and these long posts. Hopefully it's out of my system now and won't have any more reasons to post such long posts.

Ark098

Smash Cadet
adding zss is like saying 'samus can put up the same fight in or out of her suit', doesnt that just make the suit kinda useless apart from perhaps space exploration? good work chozos!

thats y i dont like zss. power suit > no power suit. as for y i play samus.. metroid, melee, and shes just fun 2 use.

SabinFigaro24

Smash Apprentice
I played Melee like it was going out of style, but by the time I noticed the potential of Samus I was too far along to really pick her up successfully. I ended up sticking with my roster of characters and one of my good friends was an amazing Samus and I always wished I could keep up with him.

Now that Brawl is out, it was like a fresh opportunity to re-evaluate my roster, and I'm loving Samus - the style is so different from every other character I've played, and the ability to chain multiple moves together is pretty rare as well. I love every second of it.

Zodiac

Smash Master
she's a chick with a gun, what more could u ask for?
Not much but she has so much more :D

I play samus because, hmm, i never used her in melee because she was hard to get used to coming from link but. Metroid is my second favorite franchise EVER, so I was like , screw it! Im maining samus in Brawl! And not only do I play samus because she's awesome, I play here because I found out that she's actually really fun to use. And honestly thats something I really value when I try out a character.

domiNate

Smash Apprentice
I switched over to Samus like four days ago. Since melee I thought Samus was a cool character but I could never get used to her unique play style. I wanted to play her even more after playing corruption, but time after time I just couldn't adjust to her. Going from melee to brawl changed everything though, it completely destroyed my falcon game, and after seeing hylian sexing it up with zair I decided to pick up Samus. She's now my main.

Oh Snap

Smash Ace
NNID
iSwallow
she's a chick with a gun, what more could u ask for?
Zero Suit Samus.

Anyway, I agree with the fact that Charge Shot is a complete disaster. This is Samus' signature attack since Smash64.
Lol@Charge Shot not being able to kill Zelda at 200%. That's just pathetic (not talking about the player) since Zelda is a light character.

Heroic

Smash Cadet
zelda survived at 200%? maybe if you used it like crazy before and she smashed DIed your shot while she was a the other end of the stage. Charged shot is still powerful if you keepit to kill.

L2P.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Don't worry, they made a melee 2.0 to try to balance it more and get rid of some errors (didn't work to well, they left in wavedashing since it wasn't discovered at that point)

so I'm sure they'll make a brawl 2.0 and fix her charge shot, I know my brother was mad that it doesn't kill at 100% anymore.

Heroic

Smash Cadet
Don't worry, they made a melee 2.0 to try to balance it more and get rid of some errors (didn't work to well, they left in wavedashing since it wasn't discovered at that point)

so I'm sure they'll make a brawl 2.0 and fix her charge shot, I know my brother was mad that it doesn't kill at 100% anymore.
lol? there never was a melee 2.0, there were just a few versions that fixed pointless glitches that no one ever uses.

Th PAL version though was another thing, thay balanced a few things, like falco's spike just to name one.

Wich leads me to my point: the charged shot isn't unbalanced, Sakurai is never gonna give it more power. You should not rely too much on t anyway, it is pretty easy to avoid and can be reflected. I ma place it one or twice in a match, but thats all. It is far from being her best move.

Anyway, I like to play Samus because she is smash's coolest character. I jst like the feel of playing her. And she has been my main for the past 11 years.

Grunge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
J-wiggity
3DS FC
2938-8119-7719
Because I love the metroid series
and i love the faces people make when you beat them win with samus

Top Bottom