• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do you play smash?

PurDi

Smash Journeyman
Link to original post: [drupal=4238]Why do you play smash?[/drupal]

So, I'm writing a paper for a class in college (little did I know I would have to give a presentation over it...) about Smash. Actually, for the Smash club at my school, I'm proposing extra funding to make running tournaments more efficient and more comfortable (and if we manage to get to a higher level of gameplay, transportation costs).

I need to make a survey about why people like to play smash.

Without further adieu;

Why do you play smash?

For fun?
Social aspects?
To be the best you can?
Something else (please explain)?

Thanks for any and all help!

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Because it is a good game.

PurDi

Smash Journeyman
Alright, so it looks like a lot of player play just because they like the community or they enjoyed the game first and that lead into other reasons. Sound right?

username12345678

Smash Apprentice
well it started with the infamous *wombo combo* i dont remember how i stumbled upon it but im very glad i did. anyway after watching it i went over to waffles channel and watched more videos. recalling as a kid how i played melee and thought it was an awesome game. i looked at the date and thought wow people are still playing this game? and as i listened to the commentary i was pretty fascinated by how much fun it sounded like they were having. so through all of these smash vids i discovered smash boards and read a crap ton of stuff. keep in mind through all of this i hadn't owned a gamecube nor a copy of melee but i kept up with the scene and played smash64 on an emulator. sort of like preparation for melee. anyway eventually i bought melee and was super hype to try it out. inspired by the movement and speed of the likes of silentspectre,scar ect i tried out falcon first. it felt awkward and i couldn't even short hop. i felt sad for a bit thinking id never get better but i got at it and eventually i was at the level where i was doing all the advance techs consistently. at the time i thought tournaments were only held in California and although not sure about every going to a tournament i still practiced everyday. and then honestly one of the best things to happen in my life happened. side note: im horribly shy like seriously im terrified of talking to others and try to keep to myself but i have a friend in my highschool named isai hes also pretty quiet so we got along well and we talked occasionaly. so we were talking about video games and he asked if i liked the wii. i said nah i hate it and the reason for that is super smash brothers brawl (i hadn't even played brawl at the time but the strong attitude most melee players had me biased) and he said really? what about melee? at this point we both gushed about melee and had the generic trash talk ect. turned out he lived 2 blocks away from me and i invited him over that day to play. it was the most fun i had in 3 years. i was playing someone my level. instead of level 9 cpus. he had his tech skill down better then me but we went even. i loved it and right after he left i was inspired so i somehow came across the regional forums and found a tournament near me infact it was two weeks away and i was super hype about going. but it so happened that i was failing every single class at the time (ive been struggling in school for the past 3 years. my motivation for school is on par with my social skills) and i knew without bringing my grades up my mom wouldn't allow me to go. so HERE I HAD IT a goal to work towards. good grades=going to tournament. for this first time since i was 12 i was trying hard in school and it payed off! i ended up getting two D's and 3 C's on my report card. a major improvement to the all failing grades i had a week prior. for the first time in years my mom was proud of me my brother is a drop out and i guess seeing her youngest son pulling up his grades was pretty good. so i went to the tournament along with isai and promptly got ***** in friendlies. entered the tournament and won one match and pools. i dident make it out and i loved every moment of it the moment i picked up my controller for the first match i knew i wanted to be apart of the community. anyway skipping ahead a week or so im now doing well in school. my mother is buying me a new computer once this school year ends in June (provided i have no D's or F's on my final report card) i just ordered a capture card on ebay so i can record my matches for critic and me and isai are playing each other 5+ hours every other day. im still working on tech skill and my thoughts of depression are now practically non-existent

so basically i play smash because
1. its fun
2. i feel apart of something. something big and something i care about
3. also im now doing well in school and im happier then ive been in awhile

EDIT: sorry for the wall of text. **** i love smash

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I play Smash for the community. At this point, everyone I know either over the forums here, or throughout Alberta that I play with frequently have become an amazing circle of friends for me. They're a family away from my family for me, brothers I couldn't think of a life without.

...even if I haven't seen them in a bit because of work and being the only one outside of Edmonton now in the group. BUT ANYWAY. It's fun to play, and I could go into detail on why else I play it, but the important thing here is the people. Guess it feels like a party all the time, just with rules that make the game deep with a sense of worth when you compete.

D

Deleted member

I play Smash because it's the only fighting game I am or ever will be good at. In most fighting games, I can never find a suitable character for my playstyle. Thanks to my discovery of Brawl's Mr. Game and Watch, I can finally concentrate on learning a character rather than finding one

Also, it's just fun. Those 2:30 AM slightly intoxicated Brawls, on random stages with items on, is what makes the game worth playing.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Well I play brawl because to me it's one of my favorite games and no matter how long I play it or don't play it, I always love it.

*shrug* It's just my fav game that I can't get tired of. =p

vadgama

Smash Journeyman
Well, it's a great game to play with my friends who are also fairly competitive and I like kicking the @#$% out of people who are worse than me at it.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I play it because it's a fighting game with mostly dynamic stages. Pretty much the stages is why I keep playing, it's by far my favourite element of the game.

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
I play smash because sometimes my mind isn't in the right place, and I want to waste alot of my personal time. Sometimes fapping is out of the question because it's day time and alot of my house hold is always bothering me and stuff, then I could make music but that is why I said my mind is never in the right place really because sometime sinspiration likes to sleep like it overdosed on tunafish or something. Then I could workout, but that just wants to make me fap even more but like I said how I can't fap at daytime because my siblings can't stay in one spot and it makes it really hard for me to have a comfortable session of fapping, you know? I then could also say I could visit my friends or my ex, or my other ex, or my other ex, or my other ex, but that one ex is fake, but likes to hang out with that other ex, but that ex doens't like the true ex, and that true ex isn't really that true really, just more truer than all of the other exes. Anyways, I am going off-topic. As I was saying, I then could go outside and chill, but sometimes the temperatures makes me want to puke, and I don't like puking because it makes my stomache hurt really, really, REALLY bad. So then I think about reading a book but I never really liked how the pages felt so I just stopped reading all together because whats the point of ****ing somebody if their ***** feels like sandpaper you know? Oh wow.. I said alot. You get the idea though. Brawl is my last resort, because everything I've said just wasn't enough to satisfy me, or just wasn't ready enough to be satisfied by me, or wasn't ready to be satisfied by positive factors.

EDIT: OH ****!!!! DID I JUST BUMP A THREAD THAT WAS MADE ON WEED DAY? >_____________> My bad D:

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
Well, I play because a of a goal I set long ago. I want to become skilled with every character, and know all of their games inside and out. Better than learning MU's, because I will know how everything's mechanics work. Of course, that goal isn't going to be reached for a long time.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
For fun. I'm definitely not a competitive player due to the amount of blind rage this game brings out in me. (Which is weird because I'm an extremely calm person) So, I usually just play with family and friends. If I play 1 on 1 for too long, I begin to get bored because all I'm doing is exploiting the same errors my opponents refuse/don't know how to correct, or they do that to me.

The only reason I'm a member on this site still is because of the social aspect. I have met about ten people here that I enjoy debating, speculation, and good old fashion intellectual intercourse with. Good conversations aren't easy to come by.

So, for fun mostly, but to in some sense, the social aspect as well.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Well, I've been playing for fun since the good old days of Smash64. Melee was one of the big reasons I bought the gamecube. Then, when Brawl was released, my friends and I started playing avidly. I found out about the competitive scene from my friends, who urged me to pick a main (and ultimately urged me to pick up ZSS, who I've mained for 2 years now). Then, I joined here and the rest is history. I've made so many friends who I would never trade for the world. I've made friends because of this game and have grown in confidence and in people skills. I stick with this game because of the people, because this game is fun, and because I love the competitive aspects. It's caused me to play more fighting games as well.
So yeah, for fun, friends, and for competitiveness.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I stopped for a while, but now I play with my son. It's his favorite game.

link2702

Smash Champion
i really don't understand why everyone always seems to label everyone who plays competitively as people who "don't play for fun"

if the competitive players weren't having "fun" most of em wouldn't be playing at all.

Twinkles

Smash Lord
Obviously, professional players don't play for fun but play for the oodles of cash that transform them into overnight multimillionares >->

yourface191

Smash Apprentice
I play because i think it is fun and i love Nintendo characters. I also play to get good and because i can beat my friends in it lol.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I play Melee cause:

1) I like having fun, and the game is fun.
2) It's deep, and there are multiple levels to it, and I like learning new things.
3) I'm a person who likes competitive gaming, cause I like honing my skills, and using my skills to win.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
I grew up playing smash, probably the game that got me into video games, since I was younger and had not played many. The game is so fun, good multiplayer, and its fun to get good at. It also never gets boring like a lot of my other games did.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
I play Brawl myself.

I love to play because

1.) Melee was awesome and one of the few things my Dad and I did together, so when Brawl came out, we played that together even more!
2.) It's chock full of likable characters, with most being unique.
3.) Playing with others, the competition, and how light hearted and fun it feels compared to other fighter type games . . . it's all of course why I play!

wolfgang92

Smash Rookie
I play brawl because it is the funnest you can play on the wii :)

I also like it cuz it's not combo-y like Street Fighter and it has SOLID SNAKE IN IT!!!! :)

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
I guess I play simply cuz I like it. I think it's fun having a bunch of my favorite characters all in one game, and it's fun to play with others.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
The first time I ever thought about taking smash to the next level was back in ’03. I was playing a lot of Melee, specifically as Ganondorf. So, there I was, in Redmound WA, playing in my first tournament. I barely managed to beat my first two opponents, but I did it. My next opponent was a cute brown haired, green eyed girl. She played as Luigi. After an intense battle, she destroyed me. I was pretty emberassed. Well, I eventually got to talking to her, and we became close friends. After about a month of talking, we decided to become a couple, and it was great. Two years later, we’re engaged and living together in Redmound. Two weeks before our wedding my fiancé was beginning to feel ill. We thought it was just the flu you know? Something just going around. Well, she ended up having a rare case of whooping cough. After about a week of stressful doctor’s visits, I needed to unwind. So I picked up a controller, and started playing as Luigi. This was her favorite character I know, but I really was missing her and just needed to see the fimilar face that reminded me of the fateful day we met.

Luara Ann Hilton died at age 23, four weeks after I took her into the ER. I was so torn up. In 2007, all I did was drink heavily, only stopping momentarily when I know my family was coming into town. One night I got particularly wasted and decided to play SSBM again, as Luigi of course. After starting up the match, I heard something in my bedroom. Being too drunk to care, I ignored it. But the sound crept closer and closer to me, until I could feel someone behind me. It was Luara’s ghost. Somehow, she had attached herself to Luigi. OUR LUIGI. So, I play smash to converse with my dead fiancé.

Wolfy!

Indecisive
It's been an integral part for my childhood. I had to move out of my previous city several years ago, away from some of my best friends who played Smash. Luckily, when I moved to my new city, the people there had played Smash when they were kids, too, and still played it today. The fact that my new friends also played Smash helped me settle into my new city a lot easier. So, I guess the fans of the game and the community are the main reasons for me. Other than that, competitive play makes me want to strive to get better at the games every time I play.

Top Bottom