• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

why do you think there are only 2 3rd party characters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Velda

Smash Rookie
Why do you think there are only two thrid party characters? There are many reasons why, but I'd like to hear your opinion.

My theory
My theory is that nintendo didn't want to put in ANY third party characters. The reason they did was that the creator of metal gear solid, pretty much begged to have snake put in, so they did. Fans got so excited from the inclusion of a third party character that they expected more. Nintendo, not wanting to disappoint there fans, decided to see who else fans wanted in (third-party). Nintendo (who originally didn't want to put in any) decided to put in the highest ranking character from the poll, Sonic.

That's my theory, do you guys have any?

Ørion

Smash Ace
Well, it is supposed to be a nintendo fighter, so they probably wanted to keep it inclusive. They actually might (probably) had to be a lot of money to Sega to put Sonic in the game, and they probably didn't want to waste too much on 3rd party characters.

Naybewon

Smash Ace
"IGN: You debuted two crossover characters -- Sonic and Solid Snake -- in Brawl. Awesome additions! But we have to be honest, with all the music from different famed composers in the game, we were expecting even more character crossovers from the likes of Square and perhaps even Capcom. Any reason Brawl doesn't feature even more? (And we know -- Nintendo fans are never happy!)

Masahiro Sakurai: Adding characters from other series and from other worlds, really, outside the Nintendo universe, is an incredibly difficult process. In some ways it's more difficult from just building a game from the ground up because you're really trying to make everything match and in some ways that creates limitations. I hope that people can understand that's the reason we can't include more characters from outside the Nintendo universe. And, of course, I believe that when you increase the number of worlds, you're also increasing the number of people who could potentially enjoy that videogame and the series that you're putting in there. But there are also problems because having these non-traditional characters in there -- even with just Snake and Sonic -- has resulted in a number of people who do dissent in seeing these characters put into the Smash series. It's not a simple matter of adding as many worlds and characters from other games as possible -- you can't be careless in doing that sort of thing, you have to be careful. Internally and externally, there have been people who have raised objections to it.

IGN: Have you received interest from other third parties who would very much like to have their characters included in Smash Bros. Brawl?

Masahiro Sakurai: Nope. No other ones."

http://wii.ign.com/articles/853/853748p1.html

That's why. :)

DMAJohnson

Smash Journeyman
IGN: Have you received interest from other third parties who would very much like to have their characters included in Smash Bros. Brawl?

Masahiro Sakurai: Nope. No other ones.
Keiji Inafuna would kindly disagree, methinks. :/

TheSMASHtyke

Smash Journeyman
Keiji Inafuna would kindly disagree, methinks. :/
Show me one **** piece of evidence he wanted him in. :mad:

Good god people. I am so sick and tired of everyone thinking theres going to be a ton of new third party characters. Putting a third party is really difficult to negotiate with and cost's alot of time and money.

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
Negotiating rights to characters owned by third parties is a time consuming and usually expensive process (if said character is particularly popular). On top of that, the fewer hands involved in the making of the game, the greater the share of profits for each. Which is why such crossovers are kept to a minimum in most cases. In short, it's the same reason you don't see Spiderman running around in D.C. comics or Batman in Marvel comics.

eodeth

Smash Apprentice
well said [E.G.G.M.A.N.]

@TheSMASHtyke: you misspelled negotiate and lol at your sig ur one of the *new* people

TheSMASHtyke

Smash Journeyman
well said [E.G.G.M.A.N.]

@TheSMASHtyke: you misspelled negotiate and lol at your sig ur one of the *new* people
Yeah, you got me there with misspelling. I'm just really tired of seeing these stupid third party threads... Doesn't it ever occur to people WHY there are so few party characters? The extreme cost, the licensing nightmares, the marketability of the fighter, and the company relationships?

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Because Sakurai hates me and laughed whenever I mentioned Sora, just like everyone else.

>_>

I want a keyblade, ****it.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Although I do agree with you Velda, I believe that Nintendo may have also had a little "policy" that requires third-party characters to actually appear in titles on a Nintendo system(s). Both Snake and Sonic have done so. If we're ever to see another Smash Bros, new third party characters would probably only be those that have appeared on Nintendo consoles (probably just in recent years).

Fortunately, Square-Enix and Nintendo are on good terms, to the point that the Wii is getting exclusive titles like the new Chocobo's Dungeon, all of the new Crystal Chronicles games, and the new Final Fantasy Tactics. Perhaps we could see the light of day when a character from any of these games makes it, or because it is Square, perhaps a past character. I'm hoping for Black Mage personally - he was playable in the Square-Enix game "Mario Hoops 3 on 3". However, if any Square character gets in, it'll most likely be Geno, for obvious reasons.

Naybewon

Smash Ace
I posted the actual interview, people. Stop obsessing over more characters, especially 3rd party ones. If Sakurai says it's impossible then it's time to shut up and cry about it elsewhere.

And by the way, according to the article I'VE ALREADY POSTED, Sakurai DID say it wasn't going to happen.

/thread.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I posted the actual interview, people. Stop obsessing over more characters, especially 3rd party ones. If Sakurai says it's impossible then it's time to shut up and cry about it elsewhere.

And by the way, according to the article I'VE ALREADY POSTED, Sakurai DID say it wasn't going to happen.

/thread.
Well no **** Sherlock. We all know there will be no more 3rd party characters for Brawl because Sakurai said there will be no DLC. People like you need to learn to differentiate between the past and the present, because we aren't stuck in the past. Who the hell knows if it's impossible for the next Smash Bros. We're talking about why the decision was made for Brawl, and from that, what could potentially happen for the next SSB.

Naybewon

Smash Ace
Well no **** Sherlock. We all know there will be no more 3rd party characters for Brawl because Sakurai said there will be no DLC. People like you need to learn to differentiate between the past and the present, because we aren't stuck in the past. Who the hell knows if it's impossible for the next Smash Bros. We're talking about why the decision was made for Brawl, and from that, what could potentially happen for the next SSB.
Woah there tiger.

Re-read the OP's post: "Why do you think there are only two thrid party characters? There are many reasons why, but I'd like to hear your opinion."

and then they moved on to ask for other people's theories. Thus, I posted an article I had read a while ago, outlining Sakurai's reasoning exactly (as my "theory".)

So maybe YOU were talking about "why the decision was made for Brawl, and from that, what could potentially happen for the next SSB," but the OP wasn't. "People like me" were just responding to the OP's topic.

No need to get hostile. It's just a video game.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Woah there tiger.

Re-read the OP's post: "Why do you think there are only two thrid party characters? There are many reasons why, but I'd like to hear your opinion."

and then they moved on to ask for other people's theories. Thus, I posted an article I had read a while ago, outlining Sakurai's reasoning exactly (as my "theory".)

So maybe YOU were talking about "why the decision was made for Brawl, and from that, what could potentially happen for the next SSB," but the OP wasn't. "People like me" were just responding to the OP's topic.

No need to get hostile. It's just a video game.
I believe, "then shut up and cry about it elsewhere," is a rather hostile statement, but I'll just let this die. Happy hunting!

Naybewon

Smash Ace
I believe, "then shut up and cry about it elsewhere," is a rather hostile statement, but I'll just let this die. Happy hunting!
It was a hostile statement; I'm tired of seeing posts about DLC and the desire for other 3rd party characters.

If you hadn't misunderstood the OP's topic, you wouldn't be trying to save your *** right now (something which would allow you to firmly grasp where I'm coming from.)

I also love how you completely neglected to respond to any other part of my response to you OTHER than my "don't get hostile" statement. It's hilarious.

I'm not a troll. You're not a hero.

Spire

III
BRoomer
It was a hostile statement; I'm tired of seeing posts about DLC and the desire for other 3rd party characters.

If you hadn't misunderstood the OP's topic, you wouldn't be trying to save your *** right now (something which would allow you to firmly grasp where I'm coming from.)

I also love how you completely neglected to respond to any other part of my response to you OTHER than my "don't get hostile" statement. It's hilarious.

I'm not a troll. You're not a hero.
I did not feel the need to respond to anything else in your statement. Clearly only one thing really stood out to me (and that's not to say that I did not understand your point, or the OP), and I was definitely not obligated to answer to anything, but your hostility.

Here is the OP in its summation:
Why do you think there are only two thrid party characters? There are many reasons why, but I'd like to hear your opinion.
Well I gave my opinion, all you did was post an interview and accuse us of crying over characters that will never be in the game. It's apparent that there will be no more characters, or any other content - ever. We all know that, like I said previously. I am not crying over characters that didn't make it in. Yes, it would have been nice to have so-and-so, but they aren't in, and I'm not complaining about it. Even though the interview with Sakurai may downright say the exact words of the man himself regarding why there are no other third party characters, that does not void room for discussion over it. There may very well have been other reasons, and that is why the question, "Why do you think there are only two third party characters?" was proposed. For discussion; and a discussion does not end when you want it to, Mister Knowitall.

Also, I never accused you of trolling, tiger.

Naybewon

Smash Ace
Miss Knowitall.

And I took your "happy hunting" as an accusation of trolling.

I was only directing a "cry about it elsewhere" statement to those who were really griping. For those who were not, it would clearly not apply.

There's no real point in talking about this anymore. I have nothing against you.

(If I ended this with "I have nothing against you, tiger," it would sound dirty. But I definitely almost said it :D )

Spire

III
BRoomer
Miss Knowitall.

And I took your "happy hunting" as an accusation of trolling.

I was only directing a "cry about it elsewhere" statement to those who were really griping. For those who were not, it would clearly not apply.

There's no real point in talking about this anymore. I have nothing against you.

(If I ended this with "I have nothing against you, tiger," it would sound dirty. But I definitely almost said it :D )
I have nothing against you either. I'm not one to hold a grudge. Want to brawl sometime?

Martham112

Smash Cadet
From my point of view, Hideo Kojima had wanted Snake in Melee, but it was too late in the development process to be added. This is why he was in Brawl.

Nintendo had lent Sega their characters for Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games, so Sega could have lent Sonic to them for Brawl. This is why he is in.

There were no other possible reason for any other 3rd party character to be in, so there isn't.

RednaXale

Smash Apprentice
I think Bomberman could have made a good addition. And why get rid of old characters? I liked Dr. Mario, Mewtwo, Young Link, and Roy. I think Majora Link would be sweet too.

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
You mean Link with the masks? Yeah he's cool.

I've got a theory. No more third party characters were added because they suck, and they diminish the fact it's a game about the NINTENDO ALL-STARS!

ViciousL337

Smash Rookie
So kind of off-topic, but whats with this obsession of Geno getting in? How is he "most likely to get in" if they ever get square-enix rights? Because you guys do know anything not Mario in that game belongs to Enix
I remember Super Mario RPG, and Geno was a lame character, why want him? (inb4 "LOL GENO IS GOOD I HAVE THE RIGHT TO EXPRESS MY OPINION YOU TROLL")

Zombieoficer

Smash Journeyman
I don't think that getting more third parties would diminish the fact that this is a Nintendo All-stars game; but only if the third party characters were Nintendo-y enough.

For example:

Belmont, Geno, a Tetrominoe... etc.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I don't think that getting more third parties would diminish the fact that this is a Nintendo All-stars game; but only if the third party characters were Nintendo-y enough.

For example:

Belmont, Geno, a Tetrominoe... etc.
And a Tetrominoe is....?

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer

My theory
My theory is that nintendo didn't want to put in ANY third party characters. The reason they did was that the creator of metal gear solid, pretty much begged to have snake put in, so they did. Fans got so excited from the inclusion of a third party character that they expected more. Nintendo, not wanting to disappoint there fans, decided to see who else fans wanted in (third-party). Nintendo (who originally didn't want to put in any) decided to put in the highest ranking character from the poll, Sonic.

That's my theory, do you guys have any?
Actually, Sakurai and the creator of MSG are extremely good friends. It was Sakurai who asked him for permission to use Snake.

Regarding Sonic, Nintendo wanted him in. Why? Because Nintendo always does fan service. Nintendo and Sega have done a lot of work together. Sonic just clicks with the Smash Universe.

As for other third parties, I'm sure that if Nintendo does decide to do a fourth Smash game (which Sakurai said was unlikely, so don't get your hopes up) more third party characters will get in. The most likely would be Megaman and a Final Fantasy character (most likely Cloud or Sephiroth).

Anyway, that's pretty much how it is. Sakurai and the MSG guy (I don't know his name, and if anybody does feel free to point this out to me) are good friends. Nintendo likes doing fan service, and they like Sega (they've made them a lot of money) so Sonic got in. In the rare case that there is a fourth Smash game, there's no need to fret as more favorites will probably get in (and, despite what you might say, Geno's NOT getting in. I don't care how many people want him. Nintendos not going to put a side-character doll into SSB).

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
This thread finished when naybewon posted the quote from the interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom