• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

why does everything seem faster in pro matches?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mathis4dorkz

Smash Cadet
now..im not a n00b. i know all the techniques to reduce lag and make your charatcers faster(wavedashing, l-cancelling, ect...). but it still seems like all theprofessional matches i watch are still faster then normal. even like when a charatcer is just running across(no wave) it seems like they are faster then normal.haha. maybe its just me and i dont notice how fast the actaull game is because im used to it?

idk. just a observation

pdk

Smash Lord
they pick up their techniques from the father of competitive ssbm:

pdk

Smash Lord
they perfect their tactics, yes, but 6 hours a day for everyone sounds like a stretch, especially considering your example there; i sure as hell don't practice that much yet can still shffl link's dairs all day in my sleep

MaskedMarth

Smash Ace
There might be some compression of frames when compiling a video.

Another thing is, beginning/medium players have a lot of "hidden" lag after wavedashing or l-canceling. They don't respond immediately after l-canceling, or attack just after the 10-frame lag of wavedashing; they wait too long, slowing their game down. A good way to avoid this is to practice l-canceling INTO SOMETHING. L-cancel to grab, or l-cancel to sideestep. Try to fit the "something" in as soon as possible after the l-cancel. Players that don't get grabbed after shffl'ing.

Gelton

Smash Apprentice
Masked pretty much summed that up. Just because you cut the lag in half doesnt mean you did anything with it afterwards. practice dashing your SHFFLs across the map so its a fluid motion.

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
There is no 'compression of time,' but virtually every recorder captures it at a lesser frame rate than it is displayed, resulting in marginally more 'choppy' action, so things seem to occur more suddenly, even though the timeline is the same.

This explains why the action in videos can seem faster-paced at times. As for pros, they just l-cancel appropriately, wavedash well, cancel attacks off of platforms with their momentum, use IASA frames, and generally just play smart and fast.

mathis4dorkz

Smash Cadet
yeah i figured it was something along those lines. pretty impressive. i tried to word everything right so i didnt seem like a complete n00b but i dont think it worked to well. haha

Z-N_Freak

Smash Ace
Anyone that knows about "Nihonjin" ??
He is pro (best of europe)
He won from CJ @ JTS5

He doesn't have a cube T_T

The pro's are just born with Proness, they only need to find the right game. for Nihonjin it was SSBM =P

I still didn't find anything, so I am just a n00b (mwehehe :cry: )

edit:
When I saw CJ and Nihonjin play it was like:
Omfg did they hack the game you ****** cheaters O_o
They just have to good mindgames. It has nothing to do with capturing something. It is just there proness =X

BrTarolg

Smash Ace
Isn't there a difference in frame rate for PAL? Because I have PAL and everything looks hella faster in NTSC videos, wavedashing looks much faster etc.
yes. but you can set the framerate to the same.

its not faster, its just theres a different lagtime.

iankobe

Smash Lord
The first time when I watched the videos, I thought they were faster too. But if you record yourself off a video camera, it goes as fast too. Trust me, I've tried to record my matches and they seemed faster than you think they would.

RockinRudy

Smash Journeyman
now..im not a n00b. i know all the techniques to reduce lag and make your charatcers faster(wavedashing, l-cancelling, ect...). but it still seems like all theprofessional matches i watch are still faster then normal. even like when a charatcer is just running across(no wave) it seems like they are faster then normal.haha. maybe its just me and i dont notice how fast the actaull game is because im used to it?

idk. just a observation

When your not playing it seems to be fast. But when your playing your actually moving fairly quickly because your in focus. Record yourself like other people said. You will see a difference.

Bones0

Smash Legend
That was one of the best bumps I've ever seen.

As for the OP, the reason matches seem faster is because YouTube plays vids at 30 fps. >.>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom