• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why doesn't Nintendo make games multi languaged

volbound1700

Smash Master
To address delay. I know of games that are done in English, Japanese, Spanish, French, German, etc. (Yeah most of them are PC games though) and you can just pick what language you want.

That way release dates won' t matter, if you get a copy and it works then your golden.

DarkDeoxys26

Smash Apprentice
Isn't SSBM Multi-languaged? You can go change the language, I forget where though.

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
Indeed you can go and change your language.

Just go to options.

EDIT:

It's this thing that is delaying it. I would rather not have the choice to change it to French if it means I'll get the game sooner.

Onichi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
OniXiion
I could have sworn that it isn't so much the language of regionalisms but the formatting and customs that they have to alter the game for.

UberBob

Smash Apprentice
I would say Japanese and English (and maybe Chinese) are the only needed languages, because in other countries, nintendo isn't really popular. And in melee there is an option to change the language to Japanese

volbound1700

Smash Master
Why are the systems different though is the good question... this is not just a Brawl problem. However, PC games usually work universe, why don't consoles work that way. Of course MAC/PC compatable games required Direct X, but still.

Cless

Smash Champion
There are many regions for dvds, and there may not always be enough space on disks for multiple languages. Also, not every game that comes out in Japan goes elsewhere.

Crystallion

Smash Ace
I would say Japanese and English (and maybe Chinese) are the only needed languages, because in other countries, nintendo isn't really popular. And in melee there is an option to change the language to Japanese
I don't really think Nintendo isn't popular over here.

But I can certainly say that most of Europe knows English, so why translate it to other languages? Because one or two German / French / Spanish / Italian people can't understand what it's about and don't know that language? Except for maybe the trophies, you don't even need to know much English, so why couldn't they just leave it at that? Either that or learn English!

Oh and btw: SSBM in Europe had every other language EXCEPT Japanese unlike the English version (if the console needs to be modded for that, ignore this comment)

Xanderous

Smash Lord
It would take the same amount of time to come out regardless of when they translated it.

Wiwiweb

Smash Journeyman
Do you really think the game will be out 5 months later BECAUSE OF THE TRANSLATION ?
You know, some movies are translated in less than a week. translation doesn't take much time. often, games are delays to make sure they do not come with another great hit (ex if SSBB came with SMG, both games would have less sells).
So in that case, SSBB is delayed because of...

I'm confused, no great games come out in this part of the year. My logic fail.

I guess Nintendo just hates Europe. Another reason for me to get the japanese version.

Drake3

Smash Ace
I thought that there was another reason other than multiple languages for why games are usually delayed in Europe. Maybe it is customs. Europe does have a million more countries in it than NA does.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Another big issue is the rating boards in different countires and different standars require different approaches, even if most of the time there are few differences, sometimes depending on the country, they do have to change things.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
The NA verison fo Melee if I recall right only had Japanese and English on it.

Mama

Smash Ace
Well thats simple. If they took the time to have all the languages then you'd basically be releasing the game at the latest delayed release date for the whole world. They cut the time by making it for English first since thats done right after Japanese. If they waited till the did French, Chinese, Spanish, etc it would just take too long.

verditude

Smash Journeyman
It's not just translation. It's cultural evaluation as well. If there are any jokes or metaphors or something in SSE based on Japanese custom or humor, they'll need to be changed for the European versions. It's more redoing than translating.

Mama

Smash Ace
It's not just translation. It's cultural evaluation as well. If there are any jokes or metaphors or something in SSE based on Japanese custom or humor, they'll need to be changed for the European versions. It's more redoing than translating.
I was going to say that. I heard that somewhere in the PAL region the word "Ninja" is banned and they replace it with heroes but I dunno if thats true. (Teen age mutant ninja heroes lol). Stuff like that also holds up prodiction. I wouldn't say that its the PAL versions getting delayed more like the NA version gets released early.

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
I was going to say that. I heard that somewhere in the PAL region the word "Ninja" is banned and they replace it with heroes but I dunno if thats true. (Teen age mutant ninja heroes lol). Stuff like that also holds up prodiction. I wouldn't say that its the PAL versions getting delayed more like the NA version gets released early.
1. It would be Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles.

2. No, the word Ninja is not banned. Go slap your Geography teacher, really, really hard.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
2. No, the word Ninja is not banned. Go slap your Geography teacher, really, really hard.
I believe it was banned at a time but not anymore.

Also, the main reason why it takes long, if I recall, is because of the coding for the different regions.

EDreams

Smash Journeyman
From Wikipedia... And this has been there forever, by the way. You can find the same info on Google:
Upon TMNT's first arrival in the United Kingdom, Sweden and Germany, the name was changed to "Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles" (or TMHT, for short), since local censorship policies deemed the word ninja to have excessively violent connotations for a children's program.[11] Consequently, everything related to the Turtles had to be renamed before being released in these nations. The lyrics were also changed, such as changing "Splinter taught them to be ninja teens" to the "Splinter taught them to be fighting teens."
Also, translation has absolutely nothing to do with shipping or delays.

S2

Smash Lord
Its a lot more than simply translation to other languages.

Japanese and NA releases don't have a need or requirement to be in multiple languages.

The multiple languages only concerns Europe, which is considered a less important market to game makers (its not fair, but its true).

There are also other aspects that have effected how soon PAL gets a game. To name a few

1.) Translations to multiple languages
2.) Culture differences (such as violence, sex, etc) some games have been cut down or censored in the past even if only 1 of the PAL countries the game is being sold in objects to the content.
3.) Television framerate differences (vs. original NTSC versions).
4.) Production costs for a worldwide release is high. Even if its a guranteed hit. Nintendo would rather spread its investment funds over time if given the choice. Plus, since games like Smash are going to sell anyway, there is no need to worldwide release it. Its going to sell just as many copies in Europe in June as it will in Feb.

Not to mention disc space.

Sure, at this point text doesn't matter too much. But Voice overs take a lot of space. Its not a big deal in 1 or 2 languages, but if you throw in a bunch it is. Unless they dumb the audio down so it sounds like #&$@. And did I mention that voice acting is expensive? Nintendo of Japan might be in charge, but its up to the Nintendo subsidary in each territory to handle localization. NoJ isn't going to bother translating the games into all of PAL's neccessary languages. That's part of the reason NoE exists in the first place.

So its not really worth it to translate to a ton of languages. At least not for NoJ or NoA.

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
From Wikipedia... And this has been there forever, by the way. You can find the same info on Google:
I read that before I posted. Read the whole article, the word Ninja wasn't banned, it was just deemed to violent for a kids cartoon in the 80's.

And read the whole article:

By the time of the 2003 TV series, these censorship policies had been abolished, and no changes have occurred in the content of the show. The name "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" remained unchanged for the 2003 show. As a result, in the UK, the 1987 program is still called Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles and the 2003 program is called Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, hence a disambiguation between the two TV series.
Btw it was abolished loooong before 2003.

EDreams

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, guess I misread your post. Thanks for the correction :)

Of course, we're kind of derailing the thread now... >_>

MarvinTPA

Smash Cadet
I'm sorry, relatively off subject.
But, didn't melee have more than two languages?
I don't really know
but there was a quote like:

"In the home run contest, the stage is largest when the language is set to Japanese. Larger than in any other language."

Well if there was only two, this quote would be completely useless..

Cless

Smash Champion
Do you have complete mastery of Madarin Chinese?

These games are made in Japan. Why would they be originally made in Chinese? The Asian versions of the games come out at almost the same time anyway.

JPW

Smash Ace
I thought all version we're going to have multi language cause if I remember back to the My Music update... it said that this game has 6+1 language type. And this was mentioned not only on the Japanese dojo but also on the American dojo.

Devastlian

Smash Lord
That was the Ashley's Theme update and they were talking about the Dojo not the game itself.

Anyway, the JP and NA versions of SSBM did have English and Japanese settings and NA Wii games have been coming out with English, French, and Spanish settings so I don't think it's really the language issues that's the problem.

matthewdw94*

Smash Apprentice
if they made it multi langued then japan america and euro would all get the game in the summer, the reason its delayed is because they must translate all the trophys and descriptions.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Its a lot more than simply translation to other languages.

Japanese and NA releases don't have a need or requirement to be in multiple languages.

USA has Spanish in it heavily now so Spanish translation would work here. Canada has a lot of French in their country spoken.

Addressing all other points, Smash has very few actually speaking, (Most the characters make inaudible sounds while fighting or maybe screw "wahoo!" - Mario or "PIKACHU" and JIGGLY. So I mean it is not like we need to translate a lot.)

My main issue is why aren't consoles made universal like PC games are. The P.C. industry makes it so easy in that they tailor their games to work on every P.C. no matter where you are in the world.
Since the Wii, PS3, Xbox are being sold international. Shouldn't they just stick with one version that only requires one version of games to keep it easier?

Top Bottom