• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why dont people like playing with items?

Playat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Playat
3DS FC
0473-7807-1815
Why I don't like playing with items?

1. They're cheap
2. They suck when playing competitive

Karma*~

Smash Cadet
When you get KO'd, feel the wrath of Final Smash upon respawning, then take a joyride on the nose of a Dragoon when the other guy picks up the piece you had... you start hating items.

As an added bonus, you can add Golden Hammertime or a soccer ball to the face.

Amide

Smash Lord
I hate most items, but sometimes when I play casually I use some. But I use items about once in twenty matches.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Because some people are still convinced Brawl is a half way decent competitive fighting game.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
i think some items are fair enough to keep on to make things interesting. since they were made to played with right? i mostly play with some items on (not the smash ball , healing items, or some other really cheap ones on) but i know how to play w/o them. its just fun seeing someone attack a party ball only to get blown up by it sometimes lol XD

Santamaycry

Smash Rookie
I hate the fact that I can be 10x better than the guy, but he grabs a smashball and wins because he killed the computer characters.

Online + Items = Mario Kart Syndrome

samai

Smash Apprentice
I don't like items just because of how annoying they are when your trying to play a decent game and a bob-omb blows up in your face, however if I am with my friends sometimes we will play a round with golden hammers and smash ball because they're fun to use :rolleyes:

gantrain05

Smash Master
i don't hate items, i will never ever use them if its a competetive game, but when im with friends and we are just messin around items are fun to have. i usually only play with mines and bumpers, and that can be pretty humerous settin up bumpers by the ledge and mines on the stage so they can't land or grab the edge. its fun for a few laughs but ultimately i probably play 100 matches of competetive play b4 we turn items on.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
There are two reasons I don't play with items anymore.

1) Just like everyone else says, they make things too random and I'd rather be winning (or losing) due to my own skill.

2) They homogenize the characters. This is really the bigger issue for me. Link has a ton of versatile projectiles, Marth has none. Bowser has a ton of KO power, Sheik has very little. Everyone's moveset has subtle (or not-so-subtle) distinctions and irregularities that makes playing every character a unique experience. When everyone's best option at any given time is to chuck a baseball bat at the other guy, things get dull really fast.

gorgon.

Smash Ace
those are good reasons to turn them off but a few item matches once in a while are still fun. you must have a fav item you like to use right?
A few item matches once in a while, maybe with friends, if fine by me (because my friends suck.) But the majority of my matched = items off.

Neon304

Smash Apprentice
I will punch anyone square in the nose who can look me striaght in the eyes and say that they dont like playing with items on at all, then tell them how much of a lier they are. Sure, I wouldn't doubt the truthfulness in someone saying they liked playing without items more, and I agree 100% that items are not good in competative play. (Gamestop tourney anyone? I didn't think so.) But to say you dont like items at all, is just, no, dont lie like that.

Edds

Smash Ace
items are alright when its a mess around. i know items are suppose to give you an advantage but sakurai didnt do much on item balance.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Exactly. Also, they are very overpowered and can give undeserving people a cheap KO or victory. Also, There are times explosives spawn over your head during your attack after your input. In which case, you get blown up and maybe Ko'd.

Zanoske

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I don't like playing with items during a serious match which can ruin it BUT! Items can make a match fun!Brawl isn't just for serious playing but be played for your entertainment. I play matches with items because it makes the match more funner and intense! No items can kind of be boring at all because your taking the fun away to the game. But this is just my opinion because i love playing matches with items for fun, especially with friends! (which makes it more funner!)

J-Money

Smash Apprentice
i was playing in a tournament a few weeks ago and they had an items bracket and a no items bracket. I won the no items bracket 2 stocking the other finalist. I lost items in the first round due to getting killed twice with a smashball. Opponent was fox and killed me with a laser and then flew me off the top of the stage at 0 percent. I hated items ever since

Someone7

Smash Apprentice
I hate items. I just immediately fall off the stage online if a person starts a match with them on, and then drop out if they do it again. When we played at my university, there was an item room, called the "fun room". Not only were items on, the guy put it to random selection of his god awful custom stages. The few times I played I just generally got up and left in disgust, as did most everyone else.

ICANTCOUNT123456

Smash Journeyman
Oh of course. Why only a skilled expert can grab a heart container or hammer that randomly spawns where they happen to be and use it to it's full potential.

/sarcasm
And you can turn those off, and leave items like lips stick on.

"OH ****!!! LIPS STICK!! BOY I'M ****ED NOW!!" :scared:

Really, items aren't bad. They are actually fun.

lumalove

Smash Rookie
I typically play with them on, simply because it's more fun. I like the fact that it can change the match. Plus, you need them on to get stickers and CDs. That's my opinion.

Grimpeh

Smash Apprentice
Hate items for pretty much all the reasons that have been mentioned. The only items i can usually tolerate are green shells xD

.Stormchaser

Smash Cadet
When playing against someone I've never played or haven't played in a while, I demand items are turned off. I also demand no items when I'm playing someone to get better. Occasionally I will turn on only the Smash Ball, though.

But if I'm playing my brother or someone I play often and for ****s and giggles, then I turn them on as it makes it more interesting and mixed up.

Top Bottom