• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Don't...

colddegree

Smash Cadet
yes im a lurk >___> but i jab often and ftilt as a mix up its which is fairly good for spacing and punishing imo

p8nted

Smash Apprentice
Anyone else get punished like mad for jabbing? For example, MK can dsmash a single jab or double jab to grab (or ftilt) attempt and if you do the full combo it gets di'd and dair'd. If you combat walk with jabs, eventually they di away and dtilt. Even glasses throw gets countered with a reverse up-b out of shield.

Am I missing something?

Denzi

Smash Master
I dunno, it's kind of like saying that you shouldn't jab Marth because he can just UpB everything, and he can DI+Fair the full combo. He CAN, but the fact remains that Jab is one of our best moves in that matchup.

And if you cancel the jab fast enough there really is nothing the opponent can do. Evidence is in an M2K vs larry match where Larry is double jab cancelling and you can hear M2K shuttle looping, but Larry isn't getting hit.

p8nted

Smash Apprentice
I dunno, it's kind of like saying that you shouldn't jab Marth because he can just UpB everything, and he can DI+Fair the full combo. He CAN, but the fact remains that Jab is one of our best moves in that matchup.

And if you cancel the jab fast enough there really is nothing the opponent can do. Evidence is in an M2K vs larry match where Larry is double jab cancelling and you can hear M2K shuttle looping, but Larry isn't getting hit.
Yeah combat walking is the best choice but you completely ignored the other options. We've always known that it's possible for other characters to react to the jab->grab or jab->whatever but lately (especially in tournament) people have actually been doing it. I find myself losing stocks when I jab at high percent and the MK dsmashes. It's hella frustrating.

Making me wonder if jab mix-ups are dead. Is combat walking the only viable strategy now?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Nobody has heard of the legendary story, but fear not I shall tell you. Gather round young falcos.

At genesis, I did not drop a game to the top 3 flacoz I played that day in tournament sets XD. I played kismet in bracket, SK92 in late bracket, and larry for the tie for 5th. I won them all 2-0!!

..FEAR ME.
I beat all three Falcos in money matches that day, too, except for Kismet, who I played friendlies with.

Pokémon Trainer hype.

p8nted

Smash Apprentice
No, it's not, that was the point of my post.
I like to think of falco's jab as on par with MK's tornado. It's ridiculously good but people are figuring out how to work around it. I'm not saying it's bad but people actually know how to punish it now so we gotta be a little more careful. It'd be like if the MK boards made a thread called "Why don't people use tornado"

swordsaint

Smash Master
if people are punishing your cancels, stop cancelling for a while and do the full combo

once you've done that for long enough, they wont expect cancels anymore - feel free to cancel

then there is always, jab jab > shield > punish their shielded dsmash

jab cancels haven't gotten worse at all, they just require more adaptive mindgames

swordsaint

Smash Master

In short, it comes back to the basics of brawl. Mix it up, stay unpredictable, but not stupid.
exactamundo xeylode

a lot of people get caught up in the technical and more advanced side of things and forget - the basics are the most important things that will get you through ANY game

Rel0ad

Smash Rookie
exactamundo xeylode

a lot of people get caught up in the technical and more advanced side of things and forget - the basics are the most important things that will get you through ANY game
Couldn't have said it better myself.
random poster is random

Denzi

Smash Master
Couldn't have said it better myself.
random poster is random
Don't bother posting in a thread just to agree with a previous post, try to contribute.

And I'd like to point out that jab x2 canceled as fast as possible might be one of the best shield pressure options we have. And the string itself often lures players in to making hasty descisions, leading to free damage.

erick gm14

Smash Ace
That's Brawl Falco for ya though, nothing too exciting in this game tbh. If you wanna be flashy you lose. Play boring and you win.

Thats Brawl in a nutshell.
sorry to break it to u D1 but falco can indeed be flashy. ive done it to the point where i dont get punished for doing my ******** stuff xP and it works, look at Rains ledge lasers, flashy and its effective.

swordsaint

Smash Master
no offense to rain - amazing player. but i dont feel like ledge lasers are particularly effective. it seemed like an experience problem. If anyone had put any thought in to how to beat them, im sure many mks could simply get over to the ledge quick enough to dtilt/dsmash and kill falco.

erick gm14

Smash Ace
no offense to rain - amazing player. but i dont feel like ledge lasers are particularly effective. it seemed like an experience problem. If anyone had put any thought in to how to beat them, im sure many mks could simply get over to the ledge quick enough to dtilt/dsmash and kill falco.
lolz check what i said in the FBR :p but even so, its flashy. and if Rain spaces well with it then its fine, it will do damage to small characters and crouchers. plus he mixes it up just like dehf

swordsaint

Smash Master
lol yeah you were totally right there.

It's definitely not a bad option. Rain however abused it to the extent that you could predict his run off lasers. As long as you're not using them TOO close to the opponent they're perfectly safe though. Having 2 low lasers means you simply can't run through and powershield a single laser. It cuts your run speed, and against characters with poor aerial mobility especially, it's fairly safe as you can't just jump over them and continue on your merry way to gimping Falco.

The current ruleset debate gave me a good quote.
"Viable until proven bannable or beatable."

Ledgelasers is like normal lasering. It is punishable if you do it too close. That still has not stopped Falco uptil now from camping people to death. I'm trying to get it down perfectly to try out how people will react to it. If it is not really any more or less effective than our typical camping game, I say do it anyway. It's flashy has heck lol
And the ability to hit people crouching I think is pretty useful.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
ledge lasers are dangerous against some projectile users, if you get hit out of your dj your in a pretty bad position.

I dont think ledge lasers are that great anyways, bloodcross used it before but abandoned it. It is obvious to see coming, although you can mix up with phantasm, but thats slow too, or dj bair if they are close, but youll be in a prty bad postion if they shield that.

But its still a good camping option when theyre far away, and even when they are close ledge lasers to grab or ledge lasers to jab or ledge lasers to bdacus are decent followups.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
ledge lasers are dangerous against some projectile users, if you get hit out of your dj your in a pretty bad position.

I dont think ledge lasers are that great anyways, bloodcross used it before but abandoned it. It is obvious to see coming, although you can mix up with phantasm, but thats slow too, or dj bair if they are close, but youll be in a prty bad postion if they shield that.

But its still a good camping option when theyre far away, and even when they are close ledge lasers to grab or ledge lasers to jab or ledge lasers to bdacus are decent followups.
Pretty much this.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
do quick jab combo by pressing jab 3 times

as wind box pushed opponent away jab with first hit of jab again.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
malcolm calls it jab wheel. which i think is the best way to refer to it.

against bigger characters, if you catch them in a jab where you are at the ledge, you can just jab wheel forever because they wont want to DI back because theres no ground. and they wont be able to sdi through you due to being just too big, so alot of the time they will just DI into more jabs and take like 30-40% before they realise they have to just let themselves fall offstage to get away from the jabs.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Lol I don't mean to sound like a douche but I don't understand this newfound fascination for "ledge lasers". Melee Falcos have been doing it for a long time and I did it the first time I touched Brawl Falco. I guess Rain's skill and focus all over him kind of glorified the simple move though.

Just wanted to clarify: he didn't come up with it or revolutionize anything with it, but his use of it is smart, no doubt. Credit goes to Shiz imo.

Denzi

Smash Master
Lol I don't mean to sound like a douche but I don't understand this newfound fascination for "ledge lasers". Melee Falcos have been doing it for a long time and I did it the first time I touched Brawl Falco. I guess Rain's skill and focus all over him kind of glorified the simple move though.

Just wanted to clarify: he didn't come up with it or revolutionize anything with it, but his use of it is smart, no doubt. Credit goes to Shiz imo.

We know he didn't come up with it, it's just that no prominent US Falco main has bothered implementing it into their game, especially not to the extent RAIN has, so the "fascination" is more us just trying to figure out if it's better/worse/neutral than what we've been doing.

It is funny how it has to be popularized before it gets more usage. The top players lead the metagame, that's just fact. If a top player starts doing something more often, people are going to mimic it. Besides, the whole idea of using the ROL (I call it run-off lasers after a quote by Vlade; it's shorter to abbreviate) is more than likely a fad. A little trick that we pull out only to combat certain scenarios like crouchers.

Top Bottom