• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Greninja getting into Smash Bros makes sense (whether you like it or not)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crawful

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4983-5238-2711
There's nothing really saying that any Pokemon is or isn't "deserving" of a "slot."
Considering Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Pichu were playable, all of which were not requested by ANYONE, a highly requested and liked pokemon from the newest game shouldn't be an issue.

Pokemon-master

Smash Apprentice
NNID
fadi
3DS FC
0791-2291-3156
There's nothing really saying that any Pokemon is or isn't "deserving" of a "slot."
Considering Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Pichu were playable, all of which were not requested by ANYONE, a highly requested and liked pokemon from the newest game shouldn't be an issue.
yea most people are mad because they thought he was mewtwo (that was a D move from Nintendo for that mewtwo fake-out even if they didn't try too)

Last edited:

Crawful

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4983-5238-2711
yea most people are mad because they thought he was mewtwo (that was a D move from Nintendo for that mewtwo fake-out even if they didn't try too)
I still believe that was a Mewtwo tease. Looking at the trailer, Greninja doesn't have his webbed hands.

dukeofearl1711

Smash Cadet
NNID
Earl00
3DS FC
0189-9263-5672
See, this where i think the problem is. I might be wrong, but i feel like Hawlucha was going to be the Gen 6 pokemon (not that i particularly like him).
Between pokemon X/Y and the direct i haven't seen anyone, and i mean anyone, say that Greninja is the best pokemon of Gen 6.

I'm going to sound like a jerk, and i swear, I SWEAR that's not what i want, but here it goes anyway:
The "popularity" of Greninja isn't real, or at least it's not as big as what people say, it was made up by those who jumped in the band-wagon after his reveal to justify his inclusion in the roster.

Now that i've said that, i want to make something clear: I know i can be wrong, If there some evidence that he was "THE gen 6 pokemon" before the direct, i will go back on what i just said.
Greninja is my favorite Gen 6 Pokemon. I made so many eggs and got myself a perfect shiny Greninja. I actually like Greninja as much as Charizard. This Gen 6 actually brought my love of Pokemon back from being nearly existent anymore.

Tldr; Greninja is top 3 for me for sure.

「 Derk 」

4th times the charm...
NNID
D3RK-SSB4
Switch FC
SW-6389-5985-3965
I didn't go back and read all the pages so I am sure this was said somewhere in the other pages, but Greninja was picked by Sakurai when 6th gen was still being worked on. He clearly felt something towards Greninja since he finished the moveset for it in 1 night. Greninja being one of the most competitive starters and one of the top threats from 6th gen could actually be due to Sakurai wanting to use Greninja in Smash. It is possible that Greninja was given all the stuff it has now (unique ability only shared by Kecleon, unique type only shared by Sharpedo, Highest speed of any starter and the ability to back it up, and a great movepool.) to make sure it was popular when 6th gen was released since it would effect both X/Y and Smash 4. Greninja is extremely popular and one of the very few starters to make it into the overused tier. That should speak for itself if you are not a Pokemon fan. Did Greninja deserve it? That is subjective but I think it was a great choice.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Of course he did.

Let's be honest; from 3 starters, do you choose:

A turtle thing that walks on 2 legs and has attacks akin to a bare fisted monk.
A fox that looks like a girl, stands on 2 legs, wears a fur skirt and uses a stick to shoot fire based magic.
A frog that has a strong ninja motif which also became one of XY's most popular Pokemon.

The choice is rather obvious, plus Greninja has the most potential for a creative moveset.

PingPongCop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bottlecapn
3DS FC
2938-8474-3044
Of course he did.

Let's be honest; from 3 starters, do you choose:
A turtle thing that walks on 2 legs and has attacks akin to a bare fisted monk.
A fox that looks like a girl, stands on 2 legs, wears a fur skirt and uses a stick to shoot fire based magic.
A frog that has a strong ninja motif which also became one of XY's most popular Pokemon.

The choice is rather obvious, plus Greninja has the most potential for a creative moveset.
I assure you, Chespin looks absolutely nothing like a turtle. XD

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Despite how much I love Greninja, let me make one point.

I assure you, Chespin looks absolutely nothing like a turtle. XD
I wasn't up to date on Pokebiology so I'll reword that one part:

A hedgehog combined with a matured chestnut that has a shell which looks like a turtle's and whose name is a portmanteau of chestnut and juggernaut swear word meme

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
something that seems to have been overlooked, from what i've read, is that this game is meant for kids too. and starters are super popular with kids, especially your first starter. and most those kids probably picked greninja.

anyway, he's way more deserving than pichu, squirtle, or even jigglypuff ever were

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
I've always wanted a ninja-y character in Smash, and Sheik wasn't cutting it. The fact that it's Greninja just makes it a bonus.

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
I still believe that was a Mewtwo tease. Looking at the trailer, Greninja doesn't have his webbed hands.
yeah and the fact of 6 pokemon in brawl and "were thinking about it" from sakurai
but yes greninja deserve to be n this game he looks fun and isnt an ood one out type or character and since lucario came back every pokemon desreves a spot its just how many spaces can pokemon have that wouldnt take years to develope

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Ninjas obviously need stealth to not give away their identities. Alas, those with sharp eyes noticed the shuriken.

How Greninja altered his biology for 30 seconds(counting the intermissions to Smashers vs Charizard) I don't know.

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
Greninja... eh. I was always a staunch supporter of Fennekin, even before we knew she did not, in fact, evolve into a Fire/Fighting-type. I suppose he's better than Chesnaught, but I'm still surprised we haven't seen Heracross and/or Pinsir playable yet... or even as stage hazards/assists, for that matter.

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582
I have no pokemon experience except for the pokemon I've played with in smash. That being said I have a complete unbiased opinion- I think the character looks cool and I look forward to playing him. I had no idea who jigglypuff was in smash 64 but I played the hell out of her because she looks ridiculous and will destroy you in the right hands.

SpatialPSI

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Regent_EX
3DS FC
1091-7941-1344
I've gotta say at first I wasn't the biggest fan of Greninja, but now I'm starting to open up to him. So much in fact, that I think I might main him. Whether he deserves the spot I don't really know.

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
I didn't like either of the other starters. Greninja looked cool and he's a freaking ninja. Nuff said.

Luigi580

Smash Apprentice
Knowing he was chosen for Smash while he was only concept art, I usually like to think that Greninja was so darn good in Pokémon X and Y so that people would like him and accept his inclusion into Smash Bros.

Honestly, awesome design aside, I'm not sure if Greninja would've been as well received if he wasn't competitive-worthy. Unlike every other Pokémon that has been in Smash, he hasn't had the anime back him up yet (Pikachu: Ash's starter; Jigglypuff: recurring character in the series; Pichu: special episode; Charizard: strongest on Ash's team; Squirtle: important member of Ash's team; Mewtwo and Lucario: major movie roles; Ivysaur is really the only exception only to fill in the gap between Squirtle and Charizard on Pokémon Trainer's team). I am aware of Ash having a Froakie, but that's all it is right now. For all we know, it might not even evolve.

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
"Why was Greninja chosen over the other starters?"

Because the other starters touch themselves at night.

Serious answer:

I'm guessing uniqueness for a moveset, though I can't be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom