• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why has smash bros. turned to this?

weableandbob

Smash Rookie
*Note that this was written when the only matches I've gotten are from the gamefaqs forum, and I haven't tried the friend finder or such yet. For all I know, this could all just be because of the people on gamefaqs.*
*And if this makes me come off as a jerk, it's just because i've been getting rrreeeaaallllyyyy annoyed with people online*
I've been wondering lately...would smash brothers be more fun without all these advanced techniques and such? Sure, they help you win, but does winning always equal fun? Also, think about the people (myself included) who don't spend every waking minute mastering every AT ever known, and then getting punished for it by getting ***** any time we play online. I know winning isn't everything, but it's seriously no fun when you're getting beaten into a pulp every single match, every time you play. Also, it's annoying that you can only find matches with people that are pretty much "tourney tards"(see here to see what I consider to be a tourney tard), although the "fox only" has kind of disappeared. I'm used to playing all items on high with my friends for fun, and really, I had no use for AT's, so it was all what most would consider horrible strategy, but it was all good and fun. But now I'm forced to quickly try to learn a bunch of AT's and learn to use no items at all just to have a chance at competing with the average person that I find online. Does anyone else feel this way, that Brawl should just remain a simple game with simple strategies?

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Just go play with your casual friends and leave the competitive players alone.
Also, no johns.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I've been wondering lately...would smash brothers be more fun without all these advanced techniques and such?
Stopped reading right there.

If you don't wanna use ATs, then play with people with the same feeling as you. Competitive players like utilizing the potential of their characters.

Which is funny, cause Brawl has quite a lack of ATs.

arch knight

Smash Lord
although i agree with the majority a competitive player can prove himself through an item fight by utilising the items or vs. those who use items while you stick to no items. just a thought..

bobson

Smash Lord
What advanced techniques? Spacing? Air dodging? There are very few, if any, ATs in Brawl that would give you the advantage over an opponent you wouldn't beat regularly. A good player will still be a good player without knowing how to hyphen smash. Just practice fighting 1v1s in general and you'll eventually be able to hold your own without any ATs.

If you're looking for items matches, I'm always up for some. Don't get mad if I glidetoss into a Sakurai combo with a Mr. Saturn, though.

chetjan

Smash Cadet
my complaints in brawl arnt about the at, but rather the lack of balance. It is no fun when it is impossible to win no matter what. ie: they play metaknight

Northy

Smash Rookie
Metaknight doesn't really bother me... maybe cause I've never actually played anyone who was any good with him

but anyway, on topic...

i don't really know any advanced techniques (im gonna try and learn them though)

but that doesn't really bother me... and I'd gladly play someone who did...

and, you could always try and learn some yourself...

weableandbob

Smash Rookie
I have -.- and also, I don't have many friends (about 2) that own a wii and brawl that also have wifi, so I can't really "just stick with them".

ToxicWaltz

Smash Rookie
I have -.- and also, I don't have many friends (about 2) that own a wii and brawl that also have wifi, so I can't really "just stick with them".

lol that's more then me.. I have one friend who has brawl.. I actually don't own a copy myself =P but I play for compatition.. we argue and fight and curse each other for hours while we play... but love every second of the match =P

Edit: erm... 2 friends with it.

Nintendood

Smash Cadet
if you don't want to learn AT, but also don't want to get beaten to a bloody pulp, then play casually with casual people. Besides, not everyone online is good, you know. n00bs all around!

However, it might in your best interest to try some AT's every once in awhile. If they ain't your things, that's cool, man.

i wrote a blog about this once...

GrayPlague

Smash Apprentice
The only decent AT that I know of is Hyphen Smashing. Otherwise, it's all spacing and skill (unless you're playing MK).

Denzi

Smash Master
Many of the AT's aren't even that hard.

I like them because I always seem to feel awesome when I use them/ learn a new one.
Snakedashing only matches are fun:).

Final Destination!!!!

Immortal_One

Smash Apprentice
The reason why Smash was created (other than for Nintendo to branch out in games) was so that people on EVERY level could play it. If you don't want to play with people that use techniques, play with friends, or find people on the internet with the same interest as you.
Finally, I leave you with this picture.

~Peachy~

Creator of delicious desserts
♥Hmmmmm.. I see where you are coming from sir. ;)

♥You're saying that Brawl is supposed to be simple with all items on and none of these advanced techniques. If this was for fun, I'd totally agree with you.

♥But as you can see, many people here play competitively. And that means for money. So its just like training for the World Open or the NFL. People would do anything to win. If that means adding rules to "balance" these things out and exploiting the glitches to be used to one's advantage, the competitive community will take this path.

♥But in the end, video games are meant to be for entertainment, not for betting and strategically calculating everything over. But if you don't like this view on things, I suggest you go look for people who view the same things as you and play for fun. The way you and many others like it, because here....those sort of ideals are a mere illusion when it comes to competitive play.. ;)

♥People view things differently, and I believe Smash Bros. can be played casually, competitively, or both at different times. ;)

♥P.S. I love the picture Mr. Immortal One. ;)

metaXzero

Smash Champion
What ******* advance techniques?

Seriously, not every1 finds all items and all stages fun. But if you like that, find similar people and play them. But don't whine about "tourney tards". You sound like those 4chan *******.

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
I guess this is the kind of people that Sakurai made brawl for. But apparently he failed in his ability to let everyone have fun seeing as how this guy is QQing about it.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
Which is funny, cause Brawl has quite a lack of ATs.
I sorta disagree. Brawl is a less technical game but the ATs (there are many) are more individual and there are still ones to find...

wangston

Smash Lord
What, you can't go to gfaqs ssbb online board and make a topic that says either 1v1 All items any stage, 2v2 all items any stage, or FFA all items any stage. Or for that matter you just can't play with anyone and play 2 minute timed item matches.

Cloudfox

Smash Ace
Er...that's entirely subjective. Competitive players don't only try to use ATs just to win - expanding the gameplay beyond the limits the developers intented to put in place is part of the fun to them. Even in friendlies they want to challenge themselves, and their opponents, to see who has the best command of ATs, regular moves, and ability to think on their feet. If they're the one who doesn't, they try to learn from it, practice, and get better.

To your point about items, I think having items on, at least some of the time, is veeery fun, and it doesn't mean that any idiot can get a win on an better player just by having the game hand them to that person.

You'd still have to know how to use the item properly, and find a way to trick your opponent into it. Even Final Smashes can be avoided, you know. I feel having them on once in a while expands the game the way ATs do; it forces you to be creative.

I thought the Evo2K8 tournament was a fun diversion, honestly. It was still the really amazing players that managed to get to the last round.

But anyway, as others have said, you can surely find like-minded people using the forums, or chat.

Master Meta

Smash Rookie
Your Wrong!

[QUOTE= I'm sorry Sir, but your wrong. That is not right. Learning all these attacks teach you how to become better, and even feel better when you win. If you don't master techniques that just makes everyone the BEST PLAYER. When you actually take your time to learn new tricks and combos, you feel proud of yourself when you win.

DUhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Master Meta

Smash Rookie
Meta Knight requires the same amount of skill as everyone else! I don't know how many people I have to tell that to. It insane, people think of that, because I practiced with Meta and it was not easy. It took me many months, almost a year, just to get his mobility and dodge moves down. His attacks are quick, but weak, so you have to make sure you follow them through. For a while I did good without using a single B move(Except recovery) Thats how own power Meta Knight has!

Clever_Sleazoid

Smash Apprentice

♥But as you can see, many people here play competitively. And that means for money. So its just like training for the World Open or the NFL. People would do anything to win. If that means adding rules to "balance" these things out and exploiting the glitches to be used to one's advantage, the competitive community will take this path.

I play in competetive rule sets because I find it more fun. If people play Brawl to win, everybody would be using MK applying campy stradegies. People still ultmatelyplay Brawl for fun. If you're not having fun, go make money by getting a JOB. Your reasoning here seems quite unfair, because almost all "competitive" players play the way they do simply because it's more fun for them.

~Peachy~

I play in competetive rule sets because I find it more fun. If people play Brawl to win, everybody would be using MK applying campy stradegies. People still ultmatelyplay Brawl for fun. If you're not having fun, go make money by getting a JOB. Your reasoning here seems quite unfair, because almost all "competitive" players play the way they do simply because it's more fun for them.

♥Wow... that was very unruly don't you think?

♥Not to mention sloppy and dirty reasoning....

♥Do you even know what COMPETITIVE MEANS? IT means playing to win Mr. ;) And guess what? A vast majority of players play Snake and Metaknight. And ANOTHER Thing... don't you know that people do camp? Everyone's complaining about it so get your facts straight. The point is, many people camp, play the top tiers, and what not. The so called "competitive" people you talk about are actually casuals who just play by competitive standards. Simple as that. They do not go to tourneys and win money. (most of the time)

♥ And the money situation, obviously, the main reason people play competitively is most likely not for the money, but to prove they are the best and to win. ( Very similar sports) Most people who go to big tournaments already HAVE jobs. Where do you think they get the money to pay for Air fare, hotels, and all that other junk? Their parents don't just give it to them and they are off to Wonderland, THEY WORK FOR IT. So don't even try the "get a job" excuse, that doesn't work here.

♥Apparently... you don't know the true meaning of competitive. ;)

♥I hate when I have to argue a pointless debate....but you gotta do what you gotta do. ;)

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Freaking 99% of good Melee players say they play Brawl to win tournies and get money.
M2K ring a bell?
-_-
"Fun" doesn't exits.

Drephigami

Smash Cadet
i think smash bros wil always b good as long as it stay balance with tripping n stuff

crewster

Smash Lord
How about this:
JUST PLAY THE GAME!
come on, just play it and enjoy it.

Jiggy

Smash Apprentice
Oh my, this is awesome ^.^

I remember the good 'ol 64 days, being 11 years old and playing 4 player matches with items on. It was me, my brother, our best friend and his sister. We would sit there quite a while, mashing buttons and beating the crap out of each other.

2001 came along. Melee was introduced, and our family moved from NC to NY. It wasn't playing with Eric and his sister anymore. We now had too many people who wanted to use the 'cube to play melee we couldn't even keep tabs on the amount of matches we did. Here it was 4 player matches, with items. Things like edgehogging and edgeguarding weren't even fathomable, because of how much fun we had.

2006 came along. I hadn't been playing Smash Brothers in well... years. I got all caught up in the Halo scene. I then thought to myself "Hmm... there are exploits in Halo.... I wonder..." I looked up "Smash Brothers Melee" exploits, and a youtube video came up. It went something along the lines of "Smash Brothers Melee Advanced Techniques."

I was astounded. There were things I could never have imagined knowing. That was only the beginning. I clicked the link to a matchup of a Falco and a Fox. I watched as the Fox grabbed onto the edge of the stage, giving the Falco no chance of survival. "WTF WAS THAT?" I thought. "What a cheap asshat!"

I became disgusted. Showed my friends at the dorms who I had recently started playing Brawl with. Tier lists? Advanced Techniques? Edge Guarding and Hogging? It was all new to them, also.

Then came the day me and my friend decided to go to a tournament. Oh Sally, was that the worst idea of my life. It was like watching Mike Tyson fight an infant. No, ten Mike Tyson's fighting an infant had nothing on those battles.

I can only imagine if we went to that without knowing wtf we were fighting O.o

So man.... I feel your pain. In my opinion, Melee's "metagame" has destroyed any hope of Brawl's competitive and casual gaming scenes becoming connected. There are so many kids who will want to use those bull**** tactics that will keep you from even making a move (moreso in Melee, not so much in Brawl).

The thing about Halo 2, the exploits would only help to an extent. They wouldn't ensure the user of ultimately winning, they would only give a bit of an advantage. If the player had TRUE skill, they could beat them using just that (i.e. yours truly). In Melee, though, I don't think so. When it comes to Brawl's case, I guess MK is a god character. I don't know any people around here who are ***** enough to use his bull**** two iWIN buttons tho.

Enough of my ranting. When it comes to playstyle, to each his own.

SothE700k

Smash Lord
Man, I said this once, and i'll say it again.

You guys got trolled. HARD.
AND you're feeding him!

Shouldn't you guys just let this thread die in peace, and move on to other matters that are important?

Moosetracks

Smash Cadet
Heh, I get your point Jiggy. Those tactics can be pretty cheap, but there are ways of preventing yourself from being victim of one in the first place. They way I look at it, you "dance" with the opponent rather than "fight" with him. Your job is to find the right "dance" that gets him KOed. ;)

~Peachy~

Man, I said this once, and i'll say it again.

You guys got trolled. HARD.
AND you're feeding him!

Shouldn't you guys just let this thread die in peace, and move on to other matters that are important?

♥That really doesn't matter. ;)

♥Look on the bright said, you got +1 post count! ;)

♥Although... we should probably cut this thread now.

♥But me posting seems to make my last statement ironic. ;)

MoblinMan

Smash Apprentice
Oh my, this is awesome ^.^

I remember the good 'ol 64 days, being 11 years old and playing 4 player matches with items on. It was me, my brother, our best friend and his sister. We would sit there quite a while, mashing buttons and beating the crap out of each other.

blah blah

I was astounded. There were things I could never have imagined knowing. That was only the beginning. I clicked the link to a matchup of a Falco and a Fox. I watched as the Fox grabbed onto the edge of the stage, giving the Falco no chance of survival. "WTF WAS THAT?" I thought. "What a cheap asshat!"

I became disgusted. Showed my friends at the dorms who I had recently started playing Brawl with. Tier lists? Advanced Techniques? Edge Guarding and Hogging? It was all new to them, also.

blah blah

So man.... I feel your pain. In my opinion, Melee's "metagame" has destroyed any hope of Brawl's competitive and casual gaming scenes becoming connected. There are so many kids who will want to use those bull**** tactics that will keep you from even making a move (moreso in Melee, not so much in Brawl).

Holy Teenage casuals Batman, people like this still exist?!?!

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
Funny vid. But srsly, sasukebowser has the wisest answer. What's this about taking every minute of your waking life learning AT's? I was so tired of brawl before I came to smashboards. I've opened up an entirely new dimension of the game and AT's are one of the funnest parts. Items is fine with me as long as you turn god@#$& #$&*ing bomb-ombs off! And containers... And bumpers.... But really, you aren't enjoying super smash as much as you can without doing some competitive stuff. So... no. Games that don't require skill are NOT FUN!

/thread.

PS: Final Destination DOES suck. -__- If you disagree, play against pit with like bowser or something. Battlefield is too good. But everywhere else UR DOIN IT WRONG!

Top Bottom