• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why hasn't Zelda been placing better in tournaments?

RedSnowman

Smash Apprentice
Just wondering. I'm not sure if this thread has been made before but when you look at matchup charts... it seems that if Zelda does have a disadvantage to a character it is by no means a huge one and she can overcome it. MK is big on the tournament scene and it's a coin flip for them. Why is it then that Zelda is not ranked higher? She's better in brawl than in melee (at least imo). I haven't really gone to a tournament but I would love to if I knew of any because I feel like I could do well. Is it because there are few Zelda players out there? I mean... why?

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Because only 1 zelda even bothers to play her in tournaments and frankly not many people are going to be as good as him ever with the current mindset of zelda play and (as an aside) limiting themselves to half a character.

DM represents but frankly it ends there.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
The biggest thing is that... well, she's hella underplayed because of her Melee rep (and part of that comes from Sheik). Or, perhaps the biggest thing is that most people just use Zelda and no Sheik. It also doesn't help that she's merely solid - she doesn't get destroyed by anyone in particular, but she also doesn't exactly crush any competition. That's not a bad thing, but it doesn't give her a significant edge against others, whereas a lot of the more common winners have things like chaingrabs. Her most significant "flaw" is that she isn't the best approaching character out there. Eventually, you'll reach a level of play where you're going to have to approach others at times, and considering her relatively poor mobility, she isn't really going to cause huge issues for characters when she's on the offensive, unless you can fool your opponent into falling for certain attacks.

So essentially, she's "good", but not "good enough."

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
Not enough damage racking ability. If only she had a special that changed her KO moveset into one dedicated to racking up damage..... if only......

edit: I didn't realize someone already made sheik/zelda comment. lol But in my serious opinion she needs more representation and better matchups. People will only be attracted to her if she has more ATs and interesting strategies. Switching mid match is definitely interesting and Sheik is way glitchier than Zelda. So playing sheik/zelda more, i think, will help both problems.

D

Deleted member

zelda is really really beastly, and she is tourney viable but people don't know how to use her

i'd use her in tournaments but i'm too busy trying to fix Link's metagame lol...

when i get back from california i'm going to only focus on link and zelda, maybe i'll be one of the bigger names representing in the midwest? lol i hope

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Wherever you want me to be... If you're female.
if someone had the mentality of both a shiek main AND a zelda main we would see both characters get places.... see shiek has trouble koing but excels in racking damage while zelda has trouble racking damage and excels in koing....however most players are either zelda specific or shiek specific(i myself am part of that.... my zelda is horrible while my shiek is decent)

pillsbury552

Smash Apprentice
if someone had the mentality of both a shiek main AND a zelda main we would see both characters get places.... see shiek has trouble koing but excels in racking damage while zelda has trouble racking damage and excels in koing....however most players are either zelda specific or shiek specific(i myself am part of that.... my zelda is horrible while my shiek is decent)
I've always been a dual mainer, even in melee. I switch from Zelda to Sheik and vise versa all the time, I really don't now, maybe some people don't catch on to Zelda AND Sheik as fast as other characters. I can only main Zelda and Sheik, I can't be really good with anyone else.
Plus Zelda doesn't have much appeal to her moves, and she isn't in a skin tight suit so perverts ( and SOME guys ) don't use her. I think Zelda looks fine and her moves are fine as well but I'm just restating the cons of Zelda's looks from another point of view, I like Zelda and that is that!

RedSnowman

Smash Apprentice
zelda is really really beastly, and she is tourney viable but people don't know how to use her

i'd use her in tournaments but i'm too busy trying to fix Link's metagame lol...

when i get back from california i'm going to only focus on link and zelda, maybe i'll be one of the bigger names representing in the midwest? lol i hope
Good :) can't wait till you start repping Zelda.

I was a Zelda main in melee too... and that's just Zelda. Sure I got decent with Shiek but I really prefer just playing Zelda. If players are cautious and play a smart game they could place in tournies with Zelda... because she does have the ability to KO.

Shiek is placing in tournies and he's just a damage rack... man we need more people repping Zelda.

RedSnowman

Smash Apprentice
The biggest thing is that... well, she's hella underplayed because of her Melee rep (and part of that comes from Sheik). Or, perhaps the biggest thing is that most people just use Zelda and no Sheik. It also doesn't help that she's merely solid - she doesn't get destroyed by anyone in particular, but she also doesn't exactly crush any competition. That's not a bad thing, but it doesn't give her a significant edge against others, whereas a lot of the more common winners have things like chaingrabs. Her most significant "flaw" is that she isn't the best approaching character out there. Eventually, you'll reach a level of play where you're going to have to approach others at times, and considering her relatively poor mobility, she isn't really going to cause huge issues for characters when she's on the offensive, unless you can fool your opponent into falling for certain attacks.

So essentially, she's "good", but not "good enough."
I see your point. I feel as though she's "good enough" just "not worth the effort" for lots of players. You really have to play a disciplined game where you don't make mistakes as her... and rather than refine Zelda a lot of player go to popular characters or those with chaingrabs, etc. Approaching is probably her biggest weakness imo and I feel like even if you keep approaching to a minimum you can still win matches yeah?

popsofctown

Smash Champion
The reason Zelda isn't doing well is because most of the Zelda community is still making threads asking "Is Sheik really necessary?"

D

Deleted member

The reason Zelda isn't doing well is because most of the Zelda community is still making threads asking "Is Sheik really necessary?"
true

its also the fact that people haven't buckled down and spent time trying to learn when and how to sweet spot with zelda 100% of the time. small things like that will definitely push zelda's game farther

Oh Snap

Smash Ace
NNID
iSwallow
I think it's the lack of interest in Zelda and her sluggish gameplay.

Zelda is somewhat limited to her ground game as her aerials aren't useful unless sweetspotted, which of course we all know, is very hard. An unsweetspotted fair/bair is barely useful, uair comes out slow; you need to time it very well and it's easy to dodge. Unsweetspotted dair is somewhat useful...? Not sure about this, but it also needs to be sweetspotted.

and god could they at least give Zelda's jump some more height? Was anyone ever on the pirate ship stage and was trapped in the water? Man I tried like 5 times to jump out and FW'd but I continued to fall back into the water LOL.

Din's fire made Zelda interesting for awhile when Brawl first came out, but now that it's one of the worst projectiles...nobody cares anymore :)

RedSnowman

Smash Apprentice
Good point. I suppose it is still really early since brawl has been out and over time Zelda will hopefully make more of an apperance in tournaments.

Iris

Smash Ace
Zelda's pretty unappealing to a lot of folk. She has nothing special going for her. I mean, besides ledgewarping (lol) she has nothing to rely on but her innate strengths and abilities. She's not actually bad at racking up damage, she hits like a truck when she connects and most of her attacks have a good % on them. It's just people tend to only play her one way, which makes her both easy to beat and unappealing to main if she's not particularly fun to play against. Zelda's never gonna be "high tier" at this rate if all we do is post pretty pictures of her and debate how Zelda > Ness or Ness > Zelda. Like some one eles said, Zelda isn't a very glitchy character, and if she is, clearly we ought to dedicate more time to improving her than uploading pictures of "OMG DIN'S FIRE IS HUGE" and "this taunt looks suggestive LOL!"

Also, I think it should be noted, the most distinguished Zelda player is moderately aggressive and not afraid to approach. Maybe it's time to mix things up and not just spam din's fire until some one rolls into an up smash.

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
According to thread the rank points only count when you get 8th or higher.... I got 9th like 2 or 3 times now but that is my highest rank at tournaments so far.

I'll keep trying...

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I think it's the lack of interest in Zelda and her sluggish gameplay.

Zelda is somewhat limited to her ground game as her aerials aren't useful unless sweetspotted, which of course we all know, is very hard. An unsweetspotted fair/bair is barely useful, uair comes out slow; you need to time it very well and it's easy to dodge. Unsweetspotted dair is somewhat useful...? Not sure about this, but it also needs to be sweetspotted.

and god could they at least give Zelda's jump some more height? Was anyone ever on the pirate ship stage and was trapped in the water? Man I tried like 5 times to jump out and FW'd but I continued to fall back into the water LOL.

Din's fire made Zelda interesting for awhile when Brawl first came out, but now that it's one of the worst projectiles...nobody cares anymore :)
Dins fire is not the worst projectile, even if it's being airdodged everytime, your opponent still has to worry about it on the way back to the stage. It's also one of the only Projectiles that you have complete control over direction.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
true

its also the fact that people haven't buckled down and spent time trying to learn when and how to sweet spot with zelda 100% of the time. small things like that will definitely push zelda's game farther
Sorry but with good opponents knowing how to DI, your never going to be able to sweetspot 100% of the time. Dark Musician is like a God on these boards and he barely sweetspots 50% of the time.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
My reason is cause most Zelda just Spam F-B and the smash attacks. as well as the kicks.

They don't know how to approach with Zelda against all characters. and they abuse moves and roll/sidestep alot. Doing this will not get you far in tournaments.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
I feel that Zelda isn't placing well at all is cause people don't want to have to discipline themselves into making few mistakes. As someone said earlier, refining Zelda into tournament shape. Another thing, has anyone noticed that she seems to trip more than the rest of the cast, and in my experience, very crucial times nonetheless. Few approaching options, and not exactly the flashiest character until you are sweetspotting with every aerial you throw.

Oh Snap

Smash Ace
NNID
iSwallow
I agree with Iris...

The Zelda boards aren't discussing about things that'll help Zelda w/ her matchups, approaches, etc.

RedSnowman

Smash Apprentice
According to thread the rank points only count when you get 8th or higher.... I got 9th like 2 or 3 times now but that is my highest rank at tournaments so far.

I'll keep trying...
Good luck man. I'm rooting for you :)

RedSnowman

Smash Apprentice
A lot of good points have been made and I agree with a fair number of them. Zelda is not a flashy fun character but one of discipline. She can be unapealling to a lot of people because... well she is an innately good character and that's it. It would be nice if we all brought up matchups she would have to deal with and how she could overcome certain ones. It would also be nice if we have some more threads on safer ways to approach different characters.

Once again, thanks everybody for all of your posts in this thread. It's been really interessting.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Dins fire is not the worst projectile, even if it's being airdodged everytime, your opponent still has to worry about it on the way back to the stage. It's also one of the only Projectiles that you have complete control over direction.
If by complete control you mean it goes one way and can be pointed up or down yeah, which includes.
Any boomerang
Nikita Missile
Palutena's Arrow
Bombs
Grenades
Turnips
Bananas
Not to mention Both PK thunders

... you see where I'm going with this? "Only" is a really funny term for uh, 10 projectiles.

The wifi method to playing zelda btw falls apart like a joke the second your opponent gets offline because all those lucky fsmashes and down smashes your opponent misses on approach by a split second suddenly get turned into power shields or counters, have fun with that.

The problem is, honestly, that the mindset of zelda players is always this all or nothing brand of gameplay. The ones who are aggressive are aggressive to the point that they basically give up free stocks when going offstage against the wrong opponent (if you do this against ike you're suiciding, that's pretty much the bottom line) and the ones who arent aggressive... well they're really really really really really really easy to read. The whole "roll behind someone then down smash regardless of where you or your opponent end up" deal is actually kind of funny, I've just started activating counter any time I see a zelda roll towards me, it's amazing how many times that actually works.

You, as a community, rested on your laurels because "oh wow she got such a huge buff, she's so awesome now" while only a handful of players actually went out of their way to attempt to give practical and beneficial information to the community. The smash meta game develops daily, and even characters completely devoid of advanced techniques realized this crap long ago and attempted to at least develop the strong points of the character while minimizing the losses resulting from their weak points. Things like "love glides" and talking about a worthless projectile for the 800th time isn't going to do anything for your character in the competitive environment, especially when no one actually brings her royal *** to tournaments except one of the few zeldas who plays nothing like most of you guys. The second one I can see doing so also plays nothing like most of you since he doesn't only commit himself to zelda and his zelda is probably one of the most conservative precise ones I've ever faced.

Iris

Smash Ace
I think detonation was also what he meant by complete control.

Anyways, powershielding a Dsmash is terrifying for a Zelda. The move's a lot longer than people give it credit for, even if it comes out fast. Thankfully, she has multi-hits to help protect her from powershields.

Ryko, so much malice against Zelda! We can't all be respectable and full of depth like Ike. :-*

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Wherever you want me to be... If you're female.
Agree with Iris... we know zelda has sweet spots and good ko moves.... we know about ledge warping.... and we know her poses make for some pretty epic pictures =D.... but maby we should work on how to string hits together, and quick setups for the ko moves.....

as of right now my friends laugh if they see a Zelda.... bad, bad joke but its true when they say shes "Predictelda"

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Detonation is really nothing but a contact point, which if you can control the direction of the rest of those projectiles, save the grenade, you also have full control of.

Ryko, so much malice against Zelda! We can't all be respectable and full of depth like Ike. :-*
I think the fact that I play such a woefully shallow character and the board for my character is (was, the community on the ike board that is helpful has actually started to overtake the ******** fanboys who got bored and went over to meta knight) probably actually less useful than this place most of the time should be a huge indication that I'd know what I'm talking about here. You don't fall into this category personally iris but a lot of people take their main for granted, period.

Edit: Also check my YT for our brinstar match, iris.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Edit: The community has gotten a little bit better recently.

Din's Fire is one of the games worst projectiles. It's slightly above Luigi's fireball. It has more tactical uses than Luigi's fireball, and the float effect from Din's Fire is nice.

Rykoshet was spot-on about almost everything he said in his two most recent posts. The Zelda community, in comparison to the other character communities on Smash boards, and compared to any randomly selected group of human beings, is pitiful and horrid in respects to trying to advance their character. I can also frequently detect that it is just full of flat out bad/uncommited players. I've put up videos and gotten no feedback for days, and then after a week, only useless feedback. Few other people put up videos at all, here. I put up a thread to discuss which matchups are better for Zelda or Sheik or Zelda/Sheik, only to see it repeatedly fall below "Zelda aesthetics thread" or "The Royal Screenshot Thread" in total responses/recent responses. Or it will fall below extended discussions over whether one of her matchups is 6/4 or 5/5, which i have to admit to getting caught in once, but such is so much less important than "Whether this character has a disadvantage or not, how do we win fights when we play them?"
This little piece of gamefaqs in the middle of smashboards has warded off most of the intelligent, contributing members. Luthien contributed a huge guide about FW that was a boon for the community, and was clearly interested in the character. He doesn't really come around here anymore. I don't think he switched mains, or quit brawl. He made no such announcement. I'm pretty sure he was just greatly disappointed in the character of the Zelda community, and he left. There's other people like him too, too many too count. I'm amazed i still drop by the Zelda forums, because i'm disappointed too. I suppose it's because i don't own a wii, i can't play every time i want. And since this character board barely spits out anything that will help you win a match, it's better for these disheartened geniuses of smash to go play brawl instead of even spending five minutes here.
There's an incredibly large population of noobs here. If you do almost all your playing on wifi, you are pretty noobish. Like Ryko said, all you are learning is tactics that will break down in offline, which is why so many of you don't show up to offline tournaments, because you don't practice brawl, you just practice scrubbery.
An alarmingly large population of the community still believes things that are obviously untrue in a higher level of Zelda play. Probably because most of them won't ascend to a higher level of play. Zelda seems to attract people who like to grab the controller and spam smashes, and it's sad. Din's Fire is not a "good" projectile in high level play. You can't camp with it. Many of you are camping with it, on wifi, maybe in real life with really poor players. There's no way to camp with the move unpunishably. The after lag allows your opponent to air dodge and still have time to punish, without fail, if they are in midrange. Zelda has to approach, a lot. You have to learn to approach with the character, few of you know how, and very few of you even ask how because you think that a move that racks 60% in wifi matches is a good camping move and you only need to approach Pit.
And Faore's wind, used grounded, offensively, is not a good approach. It's just really canned. You get one million frames of warning that a hitbox is going to come out. You don't know where, it doesn't matter. You can dodge or shield it wherever it winds up, and then punish it. If three of your friends can't block it everytime, but one can, you need to realize that it's an invalid approach, and never use it at all.

Ryko, teach me how to make ******** fanboys go play Meta Knight.

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
^ This is why I've been spending my time in the Sheik forums. There is always something informative going on there and they are helpful. (They taught me to DACUS when I asked etc.) Hopefully after a few more months the people who are serious about playing this character will start posting more and the people who are only looking for a cheaper way to spams din's online will switch mains...

To popsofctown (how do you say that name anyways in my brain I say <Pop soft own...>) The reason I personally don't comment on others videos is because I have yet to win a tournament. I just feel like if I am not winning at tournaments then I shouldn't be judging others...

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Well I didn't realize the community was truly that shallow overall. I can't get to tournaments because... well, none happen in my area and I can't just up and leave whenever I want to. Not to mention that my Zelda is, overall, mediocre and I'm horrible with Sheik. The idea would be to practice... but I'm currently more dedicated to Ness than I am to Zelda, and I'm more dedicated to PT than Sheik. I guess I feel discouraged whenever I play Zelda, and even if I can win friendlies with her, it's not like I'd ever amount to anything decent with her at this rate. Learning Sheik would boost my Zelda, but I already lack dedication.

If I had more access to offline play, as in KNOWING people that I could play, then I'd have my practice right there, but I don't have it. So yeah, I'm part of the "doesn't show up to tournaments" group. Maybe one day in the future...

Luthien

Smash Ace
This little piece of gamefaqs in the middle of smashboards has warded off most of the intelligent, contributing members. Luthien contributed a huge guide about FW that was a boon for the community, and was clearly interested in the character. He doesn't really come around here anymore. I don't think he switched mains, or quit brawl. He made no such announcement. I'm pretty sure he was just greatly disappointed in the character of the Zelda community, and he left. There's other people like him too, too many too count. I'm amazed i still drop by the Zelda forums, because i'm disappointed too.
I haven't gone anywhere. ^^; I still lurk, and sometimes I poke my nose in a thread I find interesting.

I don't post anymore not because I'm dissapointed or because I'm frustrated, but because I honestly feel I don't have much (if anything) more to contribute. Ryko does more than his fair share of shutting down n00b ideas of how to play as Zelda, many players here can offer better technical skill advice, and I can't post much in the like, 30 matchup threads because the majority of my matches are:

Zelda (dittos)
Peach
Ike

And that's about it, folks. I also almost completely play online, so I don't know how effective any advice I give will be, or if it will even work at all. I strongly believe I need to be good before I can tell others how to be good, and I don't think I'm good yet.

The FW guide is different. Although it is very in-depth, a lot of was able to be accomplished through playing by myself or just using common sense. I also created the guide very early after Brawl's North American release, back when everyone was crap. Now people have actual experience which is more reliable than mine. You don't need to play very often to find out FW goes more than 8 directions, but you can't expect to give out accurate advice on how to fight an Ike if you've only played one twice.

So yeah, the issue isn't so much I don't like what others are posting as it is I don't like what I have to post.

There's an incredibly large population of noobs here.
Newbs or N00bs?

If you do almost all your playing on wifi, you are pretty noobish. Like Ryko said, all you are learning is tactics that will break down in offline, which is why so many of you don't show up to offline tournaments, because you don't practice brawl, you just practice scrubbery.
I kind of disagree. I know that offline play has and always will be better than online play if you genuinely want to improve, but I believe that it is possible to improve online as well. I play very talented smashers via wifi, and I'm positive I learn more from playing them (even with lag) than playing mediocre players offline.

An alarmingly large population of the community still believes things that are obviously untrue in a higher level of Zelda play. Probably because most of them won't ascend to a higher level of play.
That's quality of the player, not quality of lag. I'll elaborate.

Zelda seems to attract people who like to grab the controller and spam smashes, and it's sad. Din's Fire is not a "good" projectile in high level play. You can't camp with it. Many of you are camping with it, on wifi, maybe in real life with really poor players. There's no way to camp with the move unpunishably. The after lag allows your opponent to air dodge and still have time to punish, without fail, if they are in midrange. Zelda has to approach, a lot. You have to learn to approach with the character, few of you know how, and very few of you even ask how because you think that a move that racks 60% in wifi matches is a good camping move and you only need to approach Pit.
This is my point: if your opponent is good, things like that will not work offline or online. Ryko has no problems avoiding my Din's spam even in the worst of lag. I'm not trying to justify wifi as I am trying to say that if you have a choice between a mediocre opponent offline and a good opponent online, I believe you'd improve more taking the good opponent. Unless the lag is really bad.

I'd just like to wrap up by saying that I've written this reply twice because I accidentally deleted my first attempt, and I liked the way I wrote my first attempt better. However, I'm way too lazy to think back to exactly what I said and this'll have to do. Forgive me if I didn't go into enough detail regarding what I had to say.

Edit: @ Ryko. The fact that I do only use wifi may explain the quality of my Zelda. But shut up, I'm going with the theory you have a good Ike to make myself feel better. <_<;;

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Luthien you're a quality player for sure (and you don't just sit there waiting for me to do something also, you helped my game against zelda significantly at the time too since I hadnt spent time dealing with nayru's and hyphens too much when I first started fighting you so it got me out of habitually spot dodging everything) lol don't take my view on my character or yours to heart. I don't think I'm a crappy player with a crappy character in the slightest, I only say that to joke around but yeah I have to learn to watch my mouth regarding it.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
I can definitely agree with Popsofctown on this one. We definitely have to step her game up when it comes to approaches and matchups rather than pictures and aesthetics threads. Sure it's always fun to look at cool snapshots, but if we want to make Zelda a force to be feared than we need to figure out ways to put things into our favor immediately. Honestly I don't think Pops could have said it better.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
EDIT: The name is: pops of C-town, run together. "pops" is the preferred abbreviation. I don't live in C-town anymore (columbus, MS), so i really want to shake the name. Would you guys be able to keep up if my changed my name?

People do have varying perspectives on how much you can learn from wifi and how much you can't learn. Everyone agrees that offline is better, some people think that there's still a lot to learn online. I spoke only from what i know, i've never lost to anyone at a tournament who told me they got good online.

It's my personal opinion that even slight lag will discourage you from developing certain nuances of your game that are occasionally punished by lag, I stay away from wifi for practice.

What's important is that people try to improve themselves, and don't continually play in a way that they know will not make them a better player: lag that is so bad they know they are hitting fsmashes for the wrong reasons, Din's camping players that let them Din's camp instead of practicing a more aggressive play style against a more developed player, etc.

S2

Smash Lord
Zelda doesn't place well in tournaments because people don't play Zelda.

I've been repping Zelda online and off for a while and it's the simple fact that people don't play her. She's good, just ignored. My best guess is that it's due to the character herself. Sure, some people love the princess... but I think other players are turned off because of her character design (I'm a huge Zelda fan, but I can see a lot of people aren't so much). Since release non-Zelda players have been complaining about her hitboxes and Din's.

I'll also throw out there that she's a little limiting when playing against top players. A really good Meta for example, knows he can abuse his f-tilt to basically circumvent your range advantage (not anymore). She's hardly broken, very good and tourney viable, but not top tier. Realistically she's either high or at the top of the mid-tier. Sheik/Zelda together are probably high.

That being said, Zelda's metagame is also evolving very slowingly. I blame this on a lack of interest and pure numbers. With fewer players using her, it seems like innovation in her playstyle is slow coming. Yeah, we've all gone far past the Din's spamming of early Brawl, but still, we're not seeing revolutionary with her in the same way you're seeing with how Snake went from ignored to "broken top tier". Zelda doesn't have the base of users searching for ways to make her even better. Yeah, the Zelda community puts their heart into it, but realistically we're pretty small. Again, I don't think she's top tier, but I won't discount that there are Zelda strats out there we haven't found yet.

On a positive note though, Sheik has been getting much more popular. Both Melee Sheik players and new Brawlers have taken an interest in the Ninja. Most Sheik players get curious about Zelda at some point, which is always good. I dunno, I play both. I consider them the same character and use the form that's going to give me the biggest advantage at any given time.

As for Wifi... I think you can learn a lot. Especially if you go out of your way to make sure your Wii is getting connected at the highest speed capacity possible (meaning you went through and optimized your router settings for your Wii - beyond simply setting the channel).

I realized after a while of being an "offline only" player that my metagame was getting weaker than those who were playing online regularly. The offline only thing works great, if your playing regularly offline in a community of players who are extremely good (basically meaning you live in a major city and are playing with top players every regularly). Otherwise, I'd say play online. As you will get better. Play on a popular ladder or something, most players hardcore enough to play Brawl on a ladder have set their connections to be tolerable.

Yeah, where I live (Los Angeles), offline tournaments are actually much harder than online ones. There are a lot of offline only players, but they play regularly at a level that's pretty ridiculous. Many are Melee vets who've since moved to Brawl.

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
Speaking of me not winning any tournaments yet...

I went to a tournament today and I got 4th with Zelda. There were about 20 people there and I would say I did pretty good ^_^

And I got 2nd in teams with a DK/ Diddy play as a partner.

The weird thing was that there were quite a few people complaining about Zelda, some even called her broken after playing me... I thought that was weird since there was a metaknight player there and he did win... well he picked random a couple of times as well...

Edit: Now that I think about it, they might have been joking...

Somacruz2

Smash Journeyman
Because only 1 zelda even bothers to play her in tournaments and frankly not many people are going to be as good as him ever with the current mindset of zelda play and (as an aside) limiting themselves to half a character.

DM represents but frankly it ends there.
wow Ryko, thanks for having faith in the rest of us. I'd have to say im right up there with him, so i hope you guys like to see Zelda win more tournaments.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
It's not a matter of faith, it's a matter of results. I don't sit around speculating that I'm almost as good as kirk or alu or whatever when I don't place in tournaments like they do. It means I have to step up, and that's exactly what I'm doing.

The last sentence was as plain faced as humanly possible because it was based on hard fact.

Top Bottom