• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why I hate psychology

Skywalker

Space Jump
Yesterday my doctor discovered a "minor" flaw in my head. Says it's the "seed" of all my hellish psychological problems over the past 3 years. Oh, and the treatment is supposedly quick and simple.

last 3 years my family spent a good $4000-7000 looking for help and they were stressed out as hell over me.

I'm relieved in a way.

but still very pissed off.

Very.

discuss, rant, advise, flame, lurk or w/e

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Something "minor" shouldn't take three years to discover...

I can't really give you advice, but I do understand your anger. It's annoying how the medicinal field can be so unpredictable, unless you suspected you were getting ripped off. You could always investigate then, although doctors get so finnicky about medical files. At least it good they found something, though, right?

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
I've never been to a psychologist, yet my mom's threatened to take me to one.

Don't know why. She's just stressed as hell over me as well.

Skywalker

Space Jump
we were trying to find solutions in psychology and psychiatry for 3 years

the problem is actually neurological. something to do with my left lobe. again, it's minor and not at all life-threatening, but still =/

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Psychology is a complex field with complex solutions. Some people feel better just talking to a psychologist, others are prescribed medicine, sometimes a doctor will tell you nothing is wrong, and there are others that are admitted into a psychological establishment/program. People with similar cases/problems don't always have the same results or solutions given to them, and doctors disagree over what works the best for what patients.

IDK what you should do, but if your doc seriously says he can help you and you trust the advice he gives, then I would maybe give it a shot.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
but how does that make u feel?

i am aware that i am referring to psychiatry

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Psychiatry is psychology with medicine added in, like anti depressants and other brain stimulants. For example, a Psychologist can recommend medicine to you, while a Psychiatrist can actually prescribe the medicine and give you regular therapy as well.

"How does that make you feel?" is a psychology question, unless someone gave you some medicine and asked you how you responded mentally to it.

L3thal

Smash Rookie
Yes but its more than just that. Psychoanalysis aims to unroot deep underlying problems, through one way speech, which have been thought to have been repressed since childhood.

digitalmaster287

Smash Journeyman
I never liked the idea of psychology and psychologists because they could make anything up that was secretly wrong with my head and there would be no real proof against them. They could say that I need to come back for 10 lessons at $100 a lesson, and I would have no idea if it was a serious problem or if he was just BSing me to get more money. Maybe I'm just too paranoid for these things...

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
Psychology is a load of BS. They teach you that your problems are others fault. They actually think they know things.
Only if you get a ****ty psychologist.

I never liked the idea of psychology and psychologists because they could make anything up that was secretly wrong with my head and there would be no real proof against them. They could say that I need to come back for 10 lessons at $100 a lesson, and I would have no idea if it was a serious problem or if he was just BSing me to get more money. Maybe I'm just too paranoid for these things...
That's why it's always good to do your own research, especially if a psychologist brings up psychological issues that you don't feel you actually have(but that's iffy because some people are in denial about their problems). It's good to have friends and family to talk to on the side so things like this don't happen.

Solaris1110

Smash Journeyman
I've never been a fan of psychologists, yet Psychology is one of my main interests. Did your doctor ever tell you what this "seed" was? I'd be pretty pissed off if my doctor didn't tell me what I had; it's a sign of ignorance.

Yinlong

Smash Journeyman
im personally into psychology, more like sociology

however i don't feel that psychologists really do much for people
i think its important to find your own problems and solve them yourself
just take some time to focus on what you are feeling, and why

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
But what if your friends and family say there's nothing wrong with you, but you know that something is?
Then maybe you should re-evaluate yourself. Or just be aware that they themselves might be in denial about anything being wrong. This is why it's good to hear multiple opinions and question everything yourself.

however i don't feel that psychologists really do much for people
i think its important to find your own problems and solve them yourself
just take some time to focus on what you are feeling, and why
Some people can fix problems themselves, some can't, some aren't willing to, and some are just blowing things out of proportion. This is why it's good to have an unbiased, external force to help people. It can be comforting to talk to a person who has experience dealing with multiple people who have had the same sorts of problems as them.

Psychologists don't work for everyone, and I really view going to one as a last resort option. But I've personally known one person who benefited from going to one.

Top Bottom